Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cursed Karma
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
tisoz
I don't see anything prohibiting this, but if a character with Cursed Karma blows the roll to see if the opposite effect happens, can the player use karma for a re-roll?
Kagetenshi
Probably not without a houserule, since IIRC karma rerolls apply to tests, which that roll isn't.

~J
Angelone
What do you mean like throwing a grenade at someone and rolling hoping it doesn't hit them and then blowing that roll so it catches them full in the face? Or rolling to hope some random wageslave doesn't come out of a secure facility to hand you the data you were hired to snatch?
Kagetenshi
Cursed Karma is a flaw that, whenever you spend karma, forces you to roll 1d6. On a 1, the exact opposite of your intention occurs (+1 TN for Hooper-Nelson, -1 die for buying a die, reroll all successes for reroll failures, etc.). His question is if you can spend karma to reroll that 1d6.

~J
Angelone
Oh wow, I read that so wrong it's not even funny. Where is my head today? It's not in the letter of the law, but I'd say it's in the spirit that no you couldn't.
Kagetenshi
That's just it—I think it is in the letter of the law that you can't.

The spirit is harder to see. On the one hand, you just spent additional karma which could itself backfire, so you've got a (5^2)/(6^2) chance of not actually improving your lot, and even if you do you've spent more karma. On the other, you get to avoid automatic bad things.

~J
Angelone
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
(5^2)/(6^2)

What? Can you explain that in terms of someone who did people's history or english homework, in exchange for them doing my math. I don't have the book where it's written on hand so I was going with the way my group does it.
Talia Invierno
Probability theory. 25/36 chance of things being about the same or worse based on a reroll on karma pool -- how did you get that number btw, Kagetenshi?
Kagetenshi
You have a 5/6 chance of not getting a 1 on any 1d6 roll. If you spend karma to reroll a Cursed Karma roll-of-1, you have a 5/6 chance of not rolling a 1 on your Cursed Karma check for the karma you just spent, and then another 5/6 chance of not rolling a 1 on the reroll of the original Cursed Karma check.

The odds of not rolling a 1 on both checks are equal to the odds of not rolling a 1 on one check multiplied by the odds of not rolling a 1 on the other, or (5/6)*(5/6), which is equal to (5*5)/(6*6), or (5^2)/(6^2), or 25/36, or about 69.4%. This compared to the simple 5/6 chances of not rolling a 1 to begin with, which is about 83.3%.

~J
Shrapnel
The way I look at it, you could always spend more karma on the original roll, but not to reroll the 1d6.

For instance, you use one karma to reroll failures, but end up rerolling successes. It seems to me you could just spend more karma to reroll failures again, but this starts to get expensive rather quickly...

Or let's say you use one karma to buy a success, but instead lose a success. I see no reason why you can't burn more karma to buy more successes, but you still have the Cursed Karma flaw to worry about on each success you attempt to buy.

This is the way I enterpret it, and somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. I happen to have a vested interest in this topic, as my newest character does happen to have Cursed Karma...
eek.gif
Kagetenshi
That seems like a reasonable ruling, but I'd have to check to see if it's a valid interpretation of canon.

~J
tisoz
I have never had this situation come up, or even have a player try to pull it. I kind of wondered why.

I agree with Kagetenshi that karma should not be allowed to re-roll the 1D6 to see if bad things happen. But as Shrapnel pointed out, can more karma be used toward the original roll? This makes the point about not being a Test roll moot.
Talia Invierno
Ah. You were including the original odds in that. That's what I'd not understood, when you were talking about "not actually improving your lot" -- the wording threw me, since it sounded like you were talking only odds after the original roll.
Critias
The few times it's come up, we've played it so that you cannot reroll the 1d6, but can go back and increase the karma expenditure to attempt a reroll at the initial die roll in question.

IE, I roll and only get a few successes. I decide to karma, flub it on my 1d6 jazz, and have to reroll those successes (giving me a worse result). I can then use the usual rules (doubling and tripling, etc, karma expenditure along the way) to attempt another reroll of my failures.

It gets expensive very fast, but, well, that's why Flaws are worth points.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Talia Invierno @ Jul 11 2007, 11:20 PM)
Ah. You were including the original odds in that. That's what I'd not understood, when you were talking about "not actually improving your lot" -- the wording threw me, since it sounded like you were talking only odds after the original roll.

I wasn't talking about the original odds, but if you're trying to reroll a Cursed Karma die, you've got two chances to have Cursed Karma come up again (the CK die for the CK reroll, and then the CK reroll itself)—either of which will make your expenditure worthless.

~J
Critias
And keeping track of which would give you headaches.
Talia Invierno
Hmm. That would make sense of the original diminishing odds. I'd not considered that the re-roll would itself be considered potentially cursed, in addition to the re-roll of the original cursed die.

If that roll is to be allowed at all, however: wouldn't the re-roll erase the original losing dice results?
tisoz
QUOTE (Talia Invierno @ Jul 12 2007, 07:01 AM)
If that roll is to be allowed at all, however: wouldn't the re-roll erase the original losing dice results?

One would allot a point of Karma (if this is the first attempt) from the Karma Pool to reroll the Failed Cursed Karma check die. This would prompt another Cursed Karma check roll.

Sequence of rolls:
Game Test roll that involves use of Karma Pool
Cursed Karma check roll and failure
[Apply negative effects to Game Test roll]
If allowed, use of Karma Pool die to reroll failed Cursed Karma check roll
Reroll of Cursed Karma check
Cursed Karma check roll for second use of Karma Pool

Sequence of rolls that seems to be allowed:
Second use of Karma Pool to get desired result from Game Test roll
Cursed Karma check roll
Kagetenshi
You skipped the "apply negative effects" section, but yeah, that's basically how I understand it. If I get the chance I'll confirm the wording this evening.

~J
Critias
There's not much wording to check. Cursed Karma, as written makes no mention whatsoever of second, third, or any other additional attempts at karma expenditure being exempt (or not being exempt).
Talia Invierno
QUOTE (tisoz @ Jul 12 2007, 03:24 PM)
QUOTE (Talia Invierno @ Jul 12 2007, 07:01 AM)

One would allot a point of Karma (if this is the first attempt) from the Karma Pool to reroll the Failed Cursed Karma check die. This would prompt another Cursed Karma check roll.

Sequence of rolls:
If allowed, use of Karma Pool die to reroll failed Cursed Karma check roll
Reroll of Cursed Karma check
Cursed Karma check roll for second use of Karma Pool

Sequence of rolls that seems to be allowed:
Second use of Karma Pool to get desired result from Game Test roll
Cursed Karma check roll

I did get all that after Kagetenshi's second explanation, thanks.

What I'm asking is: if a karma reroll allows you to reroll anything that wasn't a success and you're allowing it in this case -- wouldn't the non-successes of the first roll be completely negated? including the Cursed aspect?

After all, the stated point of a reroll in this context is to reroll anything that wasn't a success (which would include the Cursed die) -- and I do think there is wording for this. That would make any judgement to deliberately hang onto the Cursed aspect of the first roll a GM interpretation.

(Incidentally, that interpretation would return the odds of the second roll only to the original 1/6: which is what I was asking about originally.)
Critias
I'd say we're getting into "common sense" and "GM fiat" territory with stuff like that, really, since the RAW don't even say you can try in the first place. It all comes down to how much you think a six point Flaw should be worth, and just how strongly you think it should inconvenience/endanger the character in question.
Talia Invierno
It doesn't say you can't try either. As to common sense, the player doing the reroll is just taking the same risk anew.

Edit for completion post interruption: the player is spending karma pool to even get a chance, and the risk isn't going away in the new roll. It's just that the old one isn't being hung onto.
tisoz
QUOTE (Talia Invierno @ Jul 12 2007, 12:08 PM)
What I'm asking is: if a karma reroll allows you to reroll anything that wasn't a success and you're allowing it in this case -- wouldn't the non-successes of the first roll be completely negated? including the Cursed aspect?

Is this what you mean?

Sequence of rolls:
Game Test roll that involves use of Karma Pool to reroll failures
Second use of Karma Pool to reroll original failures and original successes(now failures) from original Game Test roll (In effect rerolling the entire original Game Test roll.)
Cursed Karma check roll

This seems cheesy to me at first glance. But to de-cheese (wink.gif),
QUOTE (SRComp.29)
Whenever this character uses a point of Karma Pool, he must roll 1D6...
So the second use of the Karma Pool is going to cost 2 points of Karma Pool, requiring 2 rolls to check for Cursed Karma.
Sedna
Right, the doubling effect. You're right, I'm wrong. Obviously I need sleep.
Taran
Woah, you have to check CK once per point spent? I never knew that. The text isn't ambiguous, but I wonder whether that's what the designers intended...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012