Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why shoot grenades at people?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Moon-Hawk
Sure, but not any more magical than a non-magical person. wink.gif
Tarantula
I'd run it as roll to hit, and determine scatter, then roll their dodge, if they reduce your hits down to 0 or less, they take no damage somehow (whether dropping prone, down behind some cover, pure and utter luck).

This means that if there are 3 people in the area of affect, 1 could escape unharmed, one could be injured, and one dead, even if the original "target" was the one that was completely unhurt.
odinson
I like to roll it just as a success test. Hit's reduce scatter and increase power. Then everyone in range gets a dodge test. Hit's reduce power. This represents that action sequence in every movie where everyone runs and dives. Then whoever takes damage because they are still in the blast radius and they didn't reduce the power of the attack to 0 resists damage as per normal.
Tarantula
Isn't that exactly what I said?
odinson
not really. is that what you meant?

the way yours is written, when i read it i get that if a person has more successes in their dodge roll than the attacker had hit's they would take no damage.

the way i roll is that the dodge hits just reduce from the power and then you still have to resist the grenade.
Rotbart van Dainig
Not quite. Power vs Hits.

The Scatter-Dodge-Damage was posted by me twice already, though.
Ddays
Yes, I think the scatter dodge damage is the best way to envision it. Sometimes I wish Shadowrun had a stricter vision of movement during combat, just so we know where everybody is at each IP. Some characters just move fast enough to make a difference.
Rotbart van Dainig
Actually, in SR4 everybody moves about the same, unless they really sprint.
However movement might affect greneades, so you have to factor that in when determinig Damage.

The Scatter-Dodge-Damage rule however has a quirk: If a grenade scatters, you will only hit people that have no successes on Dodge.
Ddays
Trolls move 5 m/s faster, and I guess I must be the only one who likes sprinting during combat into cover. (+2 m/s per hit on the test) biggrin.gif
odinson
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Actually, in SR4 everybody moves about the same, unless they really sprint.
However movement might affect greneades, so you have to factor that in when determinig Damage.

The Scatter-Dodge-Damage rule however has a quirk: If a grenade scatters, you will only hit people that have no successes on Dodge.

You only need to factor in movement if the grenade doesn't go off before people get to act, like a thrown grenade.

Why would only people with no successes on dodge be hit?
Rotbart van Dainig
Scatter eats up Hits. If there is enough Scatter to eat up all Hits, the grenade will hit people with 0 Hits.
That means that anyone with 1 Hit on Dodge will evade the Grenade.

Fix: You can't dodge the Grenade completly, just remove Hits.
Result: Grenade always does at least base damage.
Ophis
I run grenades as a success test, with no way of increasing damage with the roll itself (I do allow called shots' like getting an airburst to go off at head height). I let everyone roll reactions (+dodge/gymnastics if they want) each hit moves them a meter away from the grenade, consider it an adrenaline aided sprint test. Maybe I should add a penelty to the next action of people who try to dodge the blast, hell maybe just treat them as prone.
Prime Mover
http://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/mk19.htm

What about full auto launcher like above link...imagine scatter nightmare hehe
Dashifen
QUOTE (Ophis)
I run grenades as a success test, with no way of increasing damage with the roll itself (I do allow called shots' like getting an airburst to go off at head height). I let everyone roll reactions (+dodge/gymnastics if they want) each hit moves them a meter away from the grenade, consider it an adrenaline aided sprint test. Maybe I should add a penelty to the next action of people who try to dodge the blast, hell maybe just treat them as prone.

I kinda like this -- it's an almost instinctual move toward perceived safety away from the grenade. Plus, glitches could be someone misjudging the trajectory of the grenade and actually diving towards it.
James McMurray
Here's the house rule our GM settled on:

I'm going to alter the rules for grenades a bit in order to make them a little more balanced.  Normally you don't get to dodge the grenade unless someone is firing/throwing it directly at you.  All other bystanders have to soak the staged-up DV without a dodge roll.  I'm going to allow everyone to make a dodge roll against the blast.  However, since a grenade's blast is auto-hit upon every target in range, each success on the dodge roll will negate a success on the attacker's roll as normal, but won't negate the attack entirely if the defender achieves more successes than the attacker.  Instead, the extra successes will continue to reduce the grenade's DV past it's base value.
mfb
dodge as soak. seems fair enough.
Dashifen
So dodging a blast doesn't imply movement away from the blast in your game, James?
James McMurray
It hasn't come up yet. My assumption is that the flavor text behind the house rule will involve movement and/or cover as the situation warrants, but I can't be sure until someone actually throws a grenade.

With any luck that will never happen. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012