Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Online SR4 games
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Buster
My friendly neighborhood gaming store just went belly up and now I'm out in the cold. There aren't many other gaming sites within a hundred miles and the ones I've found seem to be all kids playing there. So I'm going to have to go online to get my SR fix.

I've tried rpol.net, but it turns out that all the SR4 games seem to be abandoned. I can't tell which games on dumpshock are looking for players. Does anyone know of any active SR4 games online? (play-by-post, play-by-IM, full VR, etc.)
Jimson
I’m kind of in the same boat. My group can only meet, at most, once a month, and that is pushing it. I’m new to the game and love the setting, but cannot seem to get time to play it, due to my group (and my own) busy family life. I have been getting my fix by thinking of runs, which I will most likely never get to run and posting on this board (which has been great).

I just saw something on DS about online games, but wasn’t quite sure how to get in to it. I too would like to try play-by-post.
tisoz
Living in the Shadows is always accepting more players.
sunnyside
I think DS has something itself. I play online at

http://www.neoaxial.com/cgi-bin/yabb2//YaB...?num=1167166474

You can see how it works with die rolls.
Jaid
check the "welcome to the shadows" section of the forums.
coolgrafix
I play at rpol.net and I don't know what you're talking about the SR games being dead. =)

If you aren't playing in a game, you can't see much of the game's content. Most of the game's threads are for players in that game only. I'm playing in this game set in Denver. When I'm logged in I see 20 threads. When I'm not logged in I only see 8, which is what you'd see.

It moves slowly, but such is the nature of PBM.

It's also worth noting that on rpol.net there are SR games in different categories. Some are under Sci-Fi or Sci-Fi Fantasy, etc.
Unarmed
You kinda just have to lurk in the 'Welcome to the Shadows' forum until you see a recruitment post that you like go up. From what I've seen, it's a little bit of a feast or famine type of thing, I'll see recruitment posts go up for three or four games at a time and then there will be none for a while. Kinda weird. If you are reading through threads in the welcome to the shadows board and you find a game that seems really interesting but isn't actively recruiting, then you could always email the GM and see if there's any room in that particular game, I'm sure that they wouldn't mind.
Jimson
Having never played a RPG by post, how much of a time commitment are we talking? One post a day? 3-5? More...less? Just curious.
Starmage21
You can try playing games on MSN or AIM, I think both messengers support chatrooms and dice rolling(MSN with a plugin).

Additionally, theres OpenRPG(my fav) which basically is a chatroom that supports dice-rolling and a limited virtual tabletop for mini use(effectively its MSPaint that all users in the room can see you modify).
Unarmed
QUOTE (Jimson)
Having never played a RPG by post, how much of a time commitment are we talking? One post a day? 3-5? More...less? Just curious.

It depends on the game, but one post a day would be considered a relatively high posting rate in most games I have played. It really varies from game to game, however.

I'd say the average is about 3-5 posts a week.
Jimson
[QUOTE=Unarmed][/QUOTE]
It depends on the game, but one post a day would be considered a relatively high posting rate in most games I have played. It really varies from game to game, however.

I'd say the average is about 3-5 posts a week.[/QUOTE]
That seems reasonable. I would not have the time for IM's or Chartooms, so 3-5 posts a week would work great. I'll check the Welcome to the Shadows board and see if I can find an open game.
Buster
QUOTE (Starmage21)
Additionally, theres OpenRPG(my fav) which basically is a chatroom that supports dice-rolling and a limited virtual tabletop for mini use(effectively its MSPaint that all users in the room can see you modify).

OpenRPG is a neat application, but how do you find SR4 games you can use it with?
Buster
QUOTE (coolgrafix)
I play at rpol.net and I don't know what you're talking about the SR games being dead. =)

If you aren't playing in a game, you can't see much of the game's content. Most of the game's threads are for players in that game only. I'm playing in this game set in Denver. When I'm logged in I see 20 threads. When I'm not logged in I only see 8, which is what you'd see.

It moves slowly, but such is the nature of PBM.

It's also worth noting that on rpol.net there are SR games in different categories. Some are under Sci-Fi or Sci-Fi Fantasy, etc.

Tell your GMs to wake the the hell up because I've sent them requests to join with no replies.

Also, where is Shadowland? It isn't shadowland.com because that's some kind of fishing site.
Fortune
Shadowland wink.gif
coolgrafix
QUOTE (Buster)
Tell your GMs to wake the the hell up because I've sent them requests to join with no replies.

Games with open slots will be flagged as such with a red asterisk. If there's no asterisk, you can still ask to join, but it means the game isn't actively looking for players.
Buster
QUOTE (coolgrafix)
QUOTE (Buster @ Jul 16 2007, 09:45 PM)

Games with open slots will be flagged as such with a red asterisk. If there's no asterisk, you can still ask to join, but it means the game isn't actively looking for players.

I know and they even show up when I search for "only games looking for new players". Tell the GMs to remove their game from the looking-for-new-players list if they aren't. It's probably just a simple checkbox on their game admin panel.
Buster
QUOTE (Fortune)
Shadowland wink.gif

Awesome, thx. The server is down now, but at least I found the site!
Buster
QUOTE (Starmage21)
http://forums.rpghost.com/forumdisplay.php...?s=&forumid=121

Awesome, thx!
James McMurray
QUOTE (Buster)
Tell the GMs to remove their game from the looking-for-new-players list if they aren't. It's probably just a simple checkbox on their game admin panel.

Pshaw! Shows how little you know. It's a dropdown list with Yes and No. wink.gif

But you might be surprised how easy it is to forget about it, especially if you're running a game that doesn't get a lot of RTJs after you start up.
Aku
i've got a request over in the general gaming section, buster, were you looking to run, or play in a game?
Buster
QUOTE (Fortune)
Shadowland wink.gif

Uh, that site redirects to Star-newsmedia.com now.

Could this be the beginning of the end of Shadowrun?
coolgrafix
QUOTE (Buster @ Jul 18 2007, 11:19 AM)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Jul 16 2007, 09:53 PM)
Shadowland wink.gif

Uh, that site redirects to Star-newsmedia.com now.

Could this be the beginning of the end of Shadowrun?

Wow, bizarre. It didn't yesterday. Hmm.
Aku
fastjack strikes for the first time!
Buster
Yeah, that was weird. I could see the Shadowland login page yesterday but it wouldn't let me create an account. Today it redirects to another site.
Fortune
That's exceptionally warped. eek.gif
Thomas
Shameless plug:

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=18315

thomas
Begby
You're welcome to stop by and check out our little Shadowspeak blog, it's not a game persay, but it's definently an opportunity to role play and character develop while looking. Hope you find a cool group.

http://fromtheshadowsrpg.blogspot.com/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012