Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Astral Combat base Attribute
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Sereth
I noticed, recently, when looking through the rules that astral combat uses Willpower plus Astral Combat skill. Because, in mundane melee combat, Agility is used in addition to (Weapon Skill), and Logic replaces Agility as a stat when astrally projecting, does logic actually do anything for an astrally projecting mage of non-Logic based drain tradition? If it is as I think, doesn't that create an underpowered stat in Logic while boosting the usefulness of Willpoer beyond what it should be? My initial thought on the matter is that Logic and not Willpower should be used as the base attribute for all astral combat checks, at the very least, while astrally projecting. My search into the matter didn't turn up any material, so my apologies if there was a previous post concerning this. I'm intereseted to see what everyone has to say on the matter.
Whipstitch
Yeah, logic doesn't do much for an astrally projecting mage and generally pales in comparison to willpower for most characters, not just mages. On the other hand, logic affects Arcana checks and a mage's maximum number of active foci. This makes logic into a bit of a niche stat, but at least it has a pretty good niche, since it's a great stat for any characters who wish to design their own spells, foci and ally spirits.
FrankTrollman
does logic actually do anything for an astrally projecting mage of non-Logic based drain tradition

You roll it during Astral Infiltration tests. Considering how much of Astral Projection is simply recon, that's a big deal.

Willpower is used during Astral Combat because of Legacy. In the olden days, Logic and Intuition were the same stat, Intelligence. And Since Intelligence was aleady your Astral Movement Rate and your Astral Initiative, it was already overpowered on the Astral - so linking it to Astral Combat was considered to be gilding the lily. Willpower doesn't really do a heck of a lot except resist spells (and a multitude of spells are actually resisted with Body or Intuition anyway), so having Willpower do something in astral combat is a perfectly reasonable bone to throw it.

---

Honestly, the attributes of Strength and Willpower are real underperformers. Things would probably be better if we dropped them, folding their abilities into Body and Charisma respectively.

-Frank
Fortune
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Honestly, the attributes of Strength and Willpower are real underperformers. Things would probably be better if we dropped them, folding their abilities into Body and Charisma respectively.

I could live with that.
Aku
so we seperate intelligence into willpower/intuition, and fold willpower right into charisma?
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Aku)
so we seperate intelligence into willpower/intuition, and fold willpower right into charisma?

Not quite. We separate Intelligence into Logic and Intuition and then we fold Willpower into Charisma. Intelligence was a lot better than the old Willpower and Charisma were, and 4th edition responded to that by hacking Intelligence in half. But the fact is that both of the pieces are individually better than Willpower or Charisma.

Generally speaking, Charisma is just a bonus to a single Skill Group and Willpower is just a defense roll against an attack form that is uncommon and will probably just kill you anyway (manabolt).

-Frank
Aku
wow, im a moron.... wtf was i thinking?
Naysayer
If you fold willpower into charisma, you rob about 90% of players of their favourite dump-stat!
Fortune
QUOTE (Naysayer)
If you fold willpower into charisma, you rob about 90% of players of their favourite dump-stat!

You'd be losing both dump stats, what with folding Strength into Body as well. wink.gif biggrin.gif
Whipstitch
I have no idea what i'd do in that case. I already dump both of those as well as logic (and taking cerebral booster 2).
Ravor
eek.gif

Please tell me that you're joking, please? cyber.gif
Ryu
Astral combat is linked to logic if you are projecting, only dual beings use willpower.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012