Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Droids
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
MaxHunter
Hey, a runner's prime skill is improvisation. I don't see robots reacting all too well to shifting complex environments. Plus, runners would be much cheaper...

However, at simple repetitive ocupations like security guards, bartenders and cleaners...

Cheers.

Max
Wakshaani
IIRC, Pilot programs currently top out at 4.

I should check that.

(Edit)

Nope, that'd be ActiveSofts.

Wow.
hobgoblin
Hmm, a ai in a can anyone?
Large Mike
I think I'm going to build an AI fixer in an anthroform body.
Prae
Also, even without the naughty bits, another use is as a toy for the rich. Why hunt for a flesh and blood date when you can show up to the Governor's Ball with a custom built Yuki Companionbot. Maybe even with the aforementioned self-defense/bodyguard programming. Throw in a limited data library and some Persona programing and you've got a pretty good conversationalist, ta boot. Hell, you could probably make it into a walkin' talkin' commlink/PAN Node.

The question on the read carpet might turn from, "Who are you wearing?" to, "Who crafted your date?"
hobgoblin
Hmm, sounds like a cho-bit (or whatever they are called) to me.
Fortune
Like I said, I want my Cherry 2000! biggrin.gif
Wakshaani
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
Hmm, sounds like a cho-bit (or whatever they are called) to me.

This, by the by, is how you get past the Uncanny Valley ... a handful of tell-tale signs that the 'bot isn't human and the simulatrities no longer creep out most people. Not ALL, mind you, but some. The more bot-bits shown, the more accepted the robot would be.

Something that could actually pass for human, tho, is gonna be pricey.
Large Mike
I don't see why the Uncanny Valley effect would still be valid. They can make limbs that look just like the real thing, no?
Jaid
yeah, there's a mask that you can put on and program to look like a metahuman face, and it is an effective disguise. i would tend to think that by the year 2070, we'll be able to make things look properly human.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Large Mike)
I don't see why the Uncanny Valley effect would still be valid. They can make limbs that look just like the real thing, no?

QUOTE (SR4 pg 335)
Synthetic Cyberlimbs: Synthetic limbs are disguised as natural limbs.  A Perception + Intuition (3) Test is necessary to visually detect a synthetic limb (Cybertechnology skill may replace Perception for this test); synthetic limbs are obviously artificial to the touch.

Threshold 3 is rough. The average person might not even have 3 dice on that test, particularly if they don't have a perception skill. Of course, the threshold to spot an artificial face might arguably be lower, because I'm not 100% certain whether they intend for a synthetic cyberskull to have your original meat-face over it, or if it's supposed to be completely artificial. They do say "shell" (on page 335, still), which implies to me that it is the outer layer, so I would argue that it's still the same threshold of 3.

If they really wanted to focus on making it look and feel real they might be able to do better than the "standard" synthetic cyberlimb, but it seems like even at SR tech levels making a believable artificial person is still non-trivial.
hobgoblin
the thing about uncanny valley is that its about more then how it looks, its about how it moves and reacts, its all those small details that we may not be conscious about, but do tell us if the thing is alive or dead...
Prae
True, but if the Mega Corps can make automated Matrix personas that can react to "body language" put out by the human Matrix personas they interact with, this would be fairly easy to overcome. You'd just have to program the servos to move instead of the pixels.

I'm not sure where, but I remember reading an article about a robot designed specifically to react to body language. It can tell when you're angry, happy, etc. and react accordingly. (I think it was part of the True AI Program. Not sure though)

At the minimum you'd hit a point where you might look at the bot and just think, "They're a nice person... but somethin' ain't right," but can you honestly say you haven't done that to another human in real life? I know I have lol
hobgoblin
hell, i did that when i was watching the promo for FF:the movie...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012