Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Open Source SR4
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ludomastro
I have been wondering if there are any plans to create an Open Gaming License for the SR4 mechanics? I have no desire to see SR4 go over to d20; however, I would like to see the existing mechanics available for use in varied settings.

Thoughts?
G.NOME
I'd like to see an open-source update of the SR4 BBB pdf. Still waiting for that one.

That having been said, open source would kind of fragment the SR community.
Ol' Scratch
I seriously doubt it.

However, game mechanics can't be copyrighted (they're simply an idea), so you're pretty much free to use them in other settings if you like. The only thing you can't do is present them in the same fashion, use the exact same descriptions of how they work, or otherwise try to confuse people into thinking it's associated with Shadowrun or its owners. That's a big no-no.

But the basic mechanics? Sure. Particularly if you just want to use them in your own little house campaigns and whatnot. It's just a Skill+Attribute system and there's many variants around.
Demerzel
For reference, back in April it came up in this thread:

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=17246

Ah, but you would know that as you had posted in it. wobble.gif
Kagetenshi
As discussed previously, I'd really appreciate it if you'd avoid using the term "Open Source" for this sort of thing, since it doesn't apply in any meaningful fashion.

Thanks.

~J
PlatonicPimp
Its a good thing too, otherwise white wolf would be all over the new SR4 mechanics for "intellectual property theft"
ludomastro
QUOTE (Demerzel)
For reference, back in April it came up in this thread:

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=17246

Ah, but you would know that as you had posted in it. wobble.gif

I had completely forgotten about that.

Oh yeah, that was when I was working 10+ hours a day, every day of the week.
Synner667
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
Its a good thing too, otherwise white wolf would be all over the new SR4 mechanics for "intellectual property theft"

Hmmm,

Well, as far as I can recall, the same chap who did the SR 1-3 mechanics did the White Wolf World of Darkness mechanics.

As you say, the SR4 mechanics are just a D6 version of the Aeon/Adventure/Aberrant mechanics, and almost the same as the HERO damage mechanics anyway.

But if you use them for your own use, the RPG police won't break down your door to stop you - as long as you don't make cash wink.gif

Just my thruppence..
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Synner667)
As you say, the SR4 mechanics are just a D6 version of the Aeon/Adventure/Aberrant mechanics, and almost the same as the HERO damage mechanics anyway.

But if you use them for your own use, the RPG police won't break down your door to stop you - as long as you don't make cash wink.gif

As you've just noted, the RPG police won't break down your door even if you are making cash, so long as the "creative work" part is your own. Or is SR4 suddenly a free fan project?

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012