Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Punk in SR
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
PlatonicPimp
I didn't say the game has to be easy. I said it has to be rewarding. This means giving rewards to the players for playing, not for succeeding, and it means not penalizing the players when the characters fail.
Talia Invierno
I've been looking at your stated birth dates. And then I've been looking at just which posters state their willingness to keep trying different approaches: as opposed, say, to making a given peg fit all sizes of hole. (I say nothing about accuracy of self-image, or whether or not the differing approaches might be different shades of black.)

The shadowrunners may be amphibious, but by basing their freedom on corporate contracts -- and focusing the vast majority of their resources on being better able to fulfill those contracts, and indeed purchasing or bargaining for corporate resources to do so, whether straight from the source or from the shadow market (which still profits the corporation) -- they reinforce the existing structure.

Remember the shadowtalk in the original Riggers' Black Book, on the page discussing the Ares Roadmaster?
Thank you for recognizing our trademark.
- Nightfire
Kagetenshi
I disagree. Shadowrunners contribute to a negative-sum game—they create a Prisoner's Dilemma where it's much worse for everyone to hire Shadowrunners than for no one to hire Shadowrunners, but even worse than that to not hire Shadowrunners while someone else, anyone else, hires Shadowrunners.

Add in some just plain old betrayal of corporate contacts, and you have attacks on the social structure.

~J
Lindt
I openly welcome 'punk' into my games. Just as much as I openly welcome 'candy raver' 'new wave' "Bushido' 'slash metal' and 'old west' into it. The themes give me places to do, and people to see, and my players like the fact that is a wide wide world of culture out there to experience.
Talia Invierno
@ Kagetenshi:

Exactly the same could be said for the advertising wars, and you'll notice none of the major players have imploded yet. It just adds to product cost, which is passed down to the consumer. Even no-name brands are quickly sucked into the advertising Red Queen's race, and tend to end up with a share of the market proportional to the amount of brand-name familiarity they have built relative to the Big Boys.
nezumi
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
I didn't say the game has to be easy. I said it has to be rewarding. This means giving rewards to the players for playing, not for succeeding, and it means not penalizing the players when the characters fail.

I didn't mean to suggest people don't get rewarded for playing. They get at least the 1 karma for just surviving, and generally a failed mission still does net some karma. I'm simply asking, all else being equal, is it better if the nature of the challenge is more basic, as in survive, or more abstract, like fight for the benefits of some downtrodden group you're not directly affiliated with.

I would be surprised if anyone here does not penalize their players for failure. It isn't very fun if there's no risk involved. I don't think any of us play many games where the character can't die from doing stupid stuff.
Fortune
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
I've been looking at your stated birth dates.

Mine is June of 1962 ... make of that what you will.
PlatonicPimp
All else being equal, people prefer to work towards goals that directly improve their own lives. In game, this means players will be more interested in pursueing their character's goals than taking orders from a fixer or Johnson. Out of game it means the players want their character to succeed directly at goals that improve the character. We get enough of working for someone elses benifit in real life.
TheMadDutchman
I've been giving it some thought and I don't believe that many shadowrunners would be part of the "punk" movement. I think the counter culture they would be better identified with would Freak Power/Gonzoism.

Let's look at the king of Gonzo; the Doctor, Hunter S. Thompson. For those of you who don't know who HST is I can offer you my condolences. He was a brilliant mind. He was also man played by Johnny Depp in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. He wrote that book as well as the Rum Diary (one of my personal favorites) and Hells Angels: A strange and terrible Saga.

He was a man ruled by paranoia and fear; given to outbursts of madness and violence, and heavily indulgent to any vice that happened to come along. He was a journalist; but one who was always on the outside a pioneer of what was known as "the new journalism" which rather than seperating the writer from the experience as traditional journalism did it was written from a point of total emersion. His writings, as his life, were raw and gritty.

When I think of how shadowrunners "should" live (if I were going to lump them all together and say they were part of a counter culture movement) that's what comes to mind.

Let's hear it for Gonzoism.
Crusher Bob
Actually, I don't think gonzoism will show up that much in real runners.

In general, the behavior of predators is very conservative, because of the risks involved. Take too many risks and you get yourself killed. Of course, this does not mean that people will not do really stupid stuff but it does mean that they will take actions that they believe to promote success.

Compare the Dumpshock favorite, General Butt Naked to the actions of the PIRA. How many pink mohawks did you see among PIRA fighters? And being a classic runner is much closer to being a member of the PIRA than fighting in the Liberian civil war. Your opposition is highly trained, well organized, and lavishly equipped. They have plenty of intelligence assess and are more than willing to use lethal force.
Kagetenshi
See, that's just it. Your opposition isn't well organized. Each individual member of your opposition is playing a gigantic multi-way game against the rest of your opposition and a lot of people who generally aren't in your opposition. They're fractured, infighting, and generally not in control outside of tight extraterritorial borders.

See again the fact that major Seattle highways are ruled by gangs after dark.

~J
Talia Invierno
@ Kagetenshi and Crusher Bob:

Opposition is different for different levels of shadowrunner. The higher up on the shadowrunning food chain, the more likely the jobs or even life itself will throw the runners against an ever more organised opposition. What's confusing the issue is that more than one opposition exists, many of which may be competitively opposed but which at the same time stand for the same kinds of things. There's more things alike between the various members of the Corporate Court than different.

Gangs operate on a zero-sum basis: to gain respect, one must take it from another. Corporations operate on the capitalist pyramid premise: which assumes infinite wealth growth.

@ TheMadDutchman:

Some shadowrunners may operate on this principle, certainly. I'll suggest it would be much more likely among runners who have an ideal to work toward -- and thus may be willing to take greater risks to achieve a personal end -- rather than simply personal survival and thrive-al within a societal system otherwise rejected.
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
I've been looking at your stated birth dates.
QUOTE (Fortune)
Mine is June of 1962 ... make of that what you will.

If you're curious, Fortune: you and I are part of the television generation, before it became the multichannel television generation. In the western world, this means you and I are entirely likely to have grown up with the television, but only with one or two familiar channels. That's what (for a United States example) allowed shows such as Captain Kangaroo and news anchors such as Walter Cronkite to become such staples across so wide an audience, and thus to have so potent a voice. We were not in control of the programming, and growing up it never occurred to most of us to be.

Make of that what you will. smile.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
If you're curious, Fortune: you and I are part of the television generation, before it became the multichannel television generation. In the western world, this means you and I are entirely likely to have grown up with the television, but only with one or two familiar channels. That's what (for a United States example) allowed shows such as Captain Kangaroo and news anchors such as Walter Cronkite to become such staples across so wide an audience, and thus to have so potent a voice. We were not in control of the programming, and growing up it never occurred to most of us to be.

Story of my life. Even if all of that were in my power, I still wouldn't have control of the damn remote. wink.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
Gangs operate on a zero-sum basis: to gain respect, one must take it from another. Corporations operate on the capitalist pyramid premise: which assumes infinite wealth growth.

Not any more, they don't. The model of the Shadowrun corporation, at least for the AAAs (and some AAs—but remember that the AAAs collectively produce, IIRC, over half of the world's gross product), is manorial rather than capitalistic—there's no perfect competition, and the trend is towards no competition at all as workers are subsumed into wholly-owned corporate enclaves.

~J
Talia Invierno
Ironically, nothing inherent in capitalism theory requires true competition. Competition, it is held, only makes the system more efficient (as opposed to monopoly, subsidy, ...). The SR world arguably is not efficient, only ruthless.
Kagetenshi
It really depends on how you define "government". With extraterritoriality, it would not, in my opinion, be unfair to call AA and larger corporations governments themselves, in which case their economies are wholly state-owned and state-run (the antithesis of capitalism). If you consider them to be solely corporations, you have an argument for capitalism.

~J
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)

Make of that what you will. smile.gif

That's pretty brutal that they did that. Captain Kangaroo sucked. I've seen a few episodes as a little kid. I guess they were reruns. It couldn't hold my attention for an instant.

Clearly the only appropriate programming for children in the original Dragnball with chock full of toilet humor and groping jokes. It actually entertained me and made me giggle. Not like CK.
wargear
Weird, my childhood was filled with british comedy. Largely the Goodies, To The Manor Born, The Good Life and Are You Being Served, with a smattering of Benny Hill and the Pythons...left me with an accent that strays far too easily into the British Isles.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (wargear)
Weird, my childhood was filled with british comedy. Largely the Goodies, To The Manor Born, The Good Life and Are You Being Served, with a smattering of Benny Hill and the Pythons...left me with an accent that strays far too easily into the British Isles.

...nice list of shows, all are my favourites. Much better than the crap they foist on the US viewing public today. With the end of series like Seinfeld and Drew Carey, there is no more comedy on the American broadcast nets in my book. SNL, has become just a toilet humour jam and lost it's real edge. All those family sitcoms are pretty damn stupid. Even Letterman has been forced to rein himself in after leaving Late Night and moving to the Conservative Broadcasting Network.

It's a sad state when more people are worried about who will be the next American Idol than the next American President.

[network exec] ...hey, I have an idea for a new reality show. Get several people with differing political views and have them square off in a set of debates followed a campaign where the viewers could text in their vote. The prize would be 4 years in the White House. We could call it "Chief Executive"
nezumi
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
[network exec] ...hey, I have an idea for a new reality show. Get several people with differing political views and have them square off in a set of debates followed a campaign where the viewers could text in their vote. The prize would be 4 years in the White House. We could call it "Chief Executive"

Wow... Now how can we tie this into Shadowrun?
TheMadDutchman
I can think of two ways to tie this into SR. The first is to insert it into the background by mentioning tv shows that are on in bars and electronic stores. You known things like "The Odd Coven" which I believe is from SR2.

The other is to bring in the players as pawns in a ratings war. Have the head of CBS pay for a wetworks on the finalists for UCAS idol. Of course it doesn't have to be that extreme. You could pay them to do anything from hacking into the Fox network and replacing an all new episode w/ a re-run or blowing up transmitters.

You could create an anti-tv counterculture. There are people in the real world (usually associated w/ reactionary religious groups) who believe that tv is not only bad for us but straight up killing us. What if in SR they've sat on the sidelines protesting and writing letters to the FCC long enough and they're ready to take action. Maybe they'll hire a hacker to replace the next episode of Survivor w/ an episode of the 400 club or a pre-taped religious service. The kind of cool thing about a group like this is that they'd be very punk in their actions- blowing up transmitters and sabatoging programming but they'd look too normal. Guys in properly fitting slacks w/ tucking in short-sleeve button down shirts and properly trimmed hair. Girls in non-revealing slacks or skirts w/ long hair and either no make-up or very very modest make-up. They'd be a total rejection of everything tv has to offer. Also, they'd probably live in a closed of community or at least have regular meetings.
nezumi
No, what I mean is, how can we tie the UCAS elections into a popular trid show in Shadowrun? This is probably a complete tangent, I know, but can we expect Pres/V-P candidates getting in an RV and riding across the UCAS getting odd jobs a la that Paris Hilton show? Would they be competing on comedy shows doing weird stunts to win attention? Obviously, Dunky wouldn't be doing that. He'd hire people to do it for him (then eat his competitors). But the rest of us humans who couldn't possibly afford the money necessary for a proper advertising blitz? I mean, if I'm running for prez on a shoe-string budget in a world where there are half a dozen parties and twice as many independent candidates, would competing for the teenager trid fan be a viable strategy?
augurer
QUOTE (nezumi)
No, what I mean is, how can we tie the UCAS elections into a popular trid show in Shadowrun? This is probably a complete tangent, I know, but can we expect Pres/V-P candidates getting in an RV and riding across the UCAS getting odd jobs a la that Paris Hilton show? Would they be competing on comedy shows doing weird stunts to win attention? Obviously, Dunky wouldn't be doing that. He'd hire people to do it for him (then eat his competitors). But the rest of us humans who couldn't possibly afford the money necessary for a proper advertising blitz? I mean, if I'm running for prez on a shoe-string budget in a world where there are half a dozen parties and twice as many independent candidates, would competing for the teenager trid fan be a viable strategy?

What's the voting age? If it's 18, I don't think the demographic would be big enough to warrant targeting "trid shows". Now if it's been brought down to 12 or 14, possibly. Some of the independents might do it just to get there name out there at all, but I wouldn't imagine any real contender would be doing that.
nezumi
Kids have impact on their parents' votes, and shows like UCAS Idolize aren't watched SOLELY by 15 year olds. I'm amazed when the subject comes on on talk radio about how many people watch these things, some of whom seem to be very impressionable.

And even if we take UCAS Idolize out, what about all the other trid shows adults do watch? What about Crazy-Happy-Japanese-Wacky-Prize-Game-Show? What about Jeopardize? Imagine a candidate getting a job with the Running Man or playing in Climbing for Cash? Heck, with the advanced editing technology we have, he could be on the 2am kung fu reruns.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
QUOTE (wargear)

...nice list of shows, all are my favourites. Much better than the crap they foist on the US viewing public today. With the end of series like Seinfeld and Drew Carey, there is no more comedy on the American broadcast nets in my book. SNL, has become just a toilet humour jam and lost it's real edge. All those family sitcoms are pretty damn stupid. Even Letterman has been forced to rein himself in after leaving Late Night and moving to the Conservative Broadcasting Network.

It's a sad state when more people are worried about who will be the next American Idol than the next American President.

True, but when I try to look on the bright side of things I suppose it's still a lot better than Roman gladatorial combat.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
True, but when I try to look on the bright side of things I suppose it's still a lot better than Roman gladatorial combat.

...wasn't that a reality show on the Old Trek? Complete with canned applause & cat calls?
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)

...wasn't that a reality show on the Old Trek? Complete with canned applause & cat calls?

Was it? I have no idea.
Kyoto Kid
...Bread & Circuses Episode #54 Season 2...
Penta
You total geek, KK.smile.gif
Kyoto Kid
...yeah, I know... embarrassed.gif

Yet I steer millions (no thousands) er thousands of miles away from TrekCons.

Appreciated the show for what it was, don't care to live it like many do.
Daddy's Little Ninja
But if people in this place are calling you a geek, that is pretty bad.
Kyoto Kid
...we all have our little eccentricities. Used to be involved in radio (before it was cool to be a "toilet humour jock"), radio theatre, & trivia challenges. I've accumulated a lot of totally useless knowledge over the years.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012