Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pain compensator - rules question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
blalien

Shadowrun Core Book, page 340

...The user may ignore a number of damage boxes (both Physical and Stun) equal to the compensator's rating before determining injury modifiers.

Say I have a pain compensator bioware, rating 6. Does that mean I ignore 6 boxes of Physical and 6 boxes of Stun, or 6 boxes of Physical or Stun, before applying penalties? I would guess the latter, but I'm not quite sure.

Also, didn't Fanpro used to have a costumer service line for Shadowrun? Why can't I find it?

Thanks!
Rotbart van Dainig
The rule you quoted says '(both Physical and Stun)', so you can ignore '6 boxes of Physical and 6 boxes of Stun'.

What really isn't answered, even with Augmention, is the Question:
When will your character fall unconcious?

PlatonicPimp
When it sounds like fun.

Fanpro doesn't own shadowrun anymore, so I guess the customer service line is gone.
Aaron
QUOTE (RvD)
What really isn't answered, even with Augmention, is the Question:
When will your character fall unconcious?

As I understand it, the boxes are still the boxes, but the negative modifiers don't start racking up until the compensation level is reached.

So, a runner with eleven boxes and a Rating 4 pain compensator would take a penalty of -1 at seven boxes, -2 at ten boxes, and fall unconscious at eleven.
Rotbart van Dainig
..or when he reaches 15 boxes, because he can ignore the first 4.

Which would at least somehow justify ever getting higher levels of that implant... like, say level 11.
Fortune
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)

Which would at least somehow justify ever getting higher levels of that implant... like, say level 11.

He's still wounded. He can just ignore the effects of those wounds ... up to a limit. Damage Compensators do not grant more actual damage-taking capability (as reflected in the damage track itself), so the dude with the implants would keel over when he reaches his Damage Track maximum, just like normal.
Adarael
Exactly. Once you reach your max boxes on the track, you're out of comission. Your body being wrecked isn't so much of a 'wound effect' as it is 'the state of affairs of your body'.
Aaron
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)

I think the clause that's being missed here is "before determining injury modifiers." Unconsciousness is not, to my knowledge, an injury modifier.
Ddays
I actually think that the rule implies that the compensators work on both physical and stun damage, but you can still only ignore a total of 6 boxes.
Apathy
Is it six boxes, or six boxes each? If I get six boxes of stun, and six boxes of physical, am I at -0, or -2?
Fortune
QUOTE (Ddays)
I actually think that the rule implies that the compensators work on both physical and stun damage, but you can still only ignore a total of 6 boxes.

The rules go out of their way to stress both, as opposed to either/or.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Aaron)
Unconsciousness is not, to my knowledge, an injury modifier.

That depends... the implant does not use a capitalized game term.
M&M had rules concerning that point, Augmention missed them.

If you rule it that way, getting a Pain Editor of Trauma dampener will give you better results for less Essence.
darthmord
Previous editions allowed for such devices to work equally well on both tracks. As such, if you had a Rating 4 Pain Compensator, it would allow you to ignore any penalties from the first 4 boxes on each damage track.

So if you had 4 boxes of physical and 2 boxes of mental, you still had no penalties.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012