Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Surgery
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
Fair enough point.

I'm suggesting that only those oldtimer points -- and remember, most of us aren't old, after all -- which would also appeal to a younger, videogame-raised generation were accepted. (Consider the new use of Edge v. the old combat pool in this context.)

As to the rest: remember the way of Kagetenshi's attempted revisions?

I think video games have made me *more* interested in firearms realism than anything else could have been. I play a lot of video games and in many senses they did raise me. But my interest in how firearms really work as opposed to how they work in movies was first raised by games like America's Army, Rainbow Six, Soldier of Fortune II, and so on.
mfb
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
The distinction between circular and self-reinforcing lies only in whether or not you want to find a reason for having entered the circle in the first place.

for the love of--this exists, do you understand? players don't use the surgery rules much, because they're fairly complex, which means they're perpetually unfamiliar with them, which exacerbates the learning curve associated with learning them. you can call that circular, self-reinforcing, or purple, and it won't change the fact that this is why people don't use the rules.

QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
Btw I'd summarised the lifestyle rules separately for my own use -- came out to eight pages of densely worded charts at 6 pt font.

if i had to guess, i'd say that's because you're still not understanding the difference between the complexity of the system and how many modifiers can be plugged into that system. and/or you're really, really bad at summarizing. the actual rules only take up 17 pages at what looks to be 12pt, including a decent number of pictures, charts, and lots of titles that take up their own line.

QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
As to the real chance of major screwup, check those rules again, using the modifiers you just cited for a basic surgery such as only a datajack. One of the points of those rules is that the more modifications you have, the harder future surgery gets. Run-of-the-mill datajacks -- only -- don't have anywhere near that high a risk within the conditions you describe.

incorrect. i'm describing a guy with 6 skill (a professional) rolling against TN 4 with a threshold of 3.
Ravor
Besides, the fact remains that using the combat rules are simply more fun then using the surgery rules to what seems to be a clear majority of players, and I suspect that is the real reason most people don't bother to learn or use them.
Vaevictis
QUOTE (Ravor)
Besides, the fact remains that using the combat rules are simply more fun then using the surgery rules to what seems to be a clear majority of players, and I suspect that is the real reason most people don't bother to learn or use them.

Quoted for truth.

The rules just aren't enjoyable for most people, and they're pretty complex and cumbersome on top if it.

In a game -- you know, something where you're supposed to have fun -- that's just a recipe for fail.
Talia Invierno
And now we have reached a key point:

What is not immediately enjoyable or gratifying will not be looked at.

That's how the circle is entered in the first place.

QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
Btw I'd summarised the lifestyle rules separately for my own use -- came out to eight pages of densely worded charts at 6 pt font.

if i had to guess, i'd say that's because you're still not understanding the difference between the complexity of the system and how many modifiers can be plugged into that system. and/or you're really, really bad at summarizing. the actual rules only take up 17 pages at what looks to be 12pt, including a decent number of pictures, charts, and lots of titles that take up their own line.

You can judge for yourself if you want: you have only to ask for a copy. But I will say that I find the lifestyle rules to have been much more densely written than the surgery rules. I am fairly certain I could have reduced the text in the surgery section to about 2/3 of the current, and I know some of those tables could have been better consolidated: haven't yet done the same summary as for the lifestyle rules, but my early estimate for chart form is four pages at the same pt value. FWIW I am a professional writer and editor and developer, heavy on the hard and especially medical sciences but having covered just about every field at some point or other. Human resources experts keep trying to get me to become an efficiency engineer.

QUOTE (mfb)
incorrect. i'm describing a guy with 6 skill (a professional) rolling against TN 4 with a threshold of 3.

Except that your TN is -- well, negative -- and your threshold only matters if you don't want any negative options: most of which don't matter anyway if you are only getting the datajack and aren't expecting to take it into a standard shadowrun lifestyle. Under standard or better operating conditions, the only likely + to TN for a basic datajack surgery is if your surgeon is teleconferencing (+1). Anyone under a corporate umbrella would have -2 (medical facility/hospital), medical gear of better grade than necessary, because it's cost-efficient (-2), and possibly an additional doctor (-1). None of the negatives apply to standard one-off procedures involving normal 'ware.
Vaevictis
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)

1. You did say you wanted to know why. There it is.
2. It's a game. It's supposed to be gratifying.
3. In my experience, the surgery rules don't just fail to be gratifying immediately, they simply fail to be gratifying. Ever. Boring, cumbersome, and complex.
Fortune
QUOTE (Talia Invierno @ Aug 3 2007, 06:35 PM)

Rather that should be ...

What does not add anything of value to the game, in the opinion of both the Players and the GM will be discarded.

We all looked at the rules. Most of us probably even tried to make them work in some kind of useable and enjoyable manner, but it seems that the overwhelming majority of both Players and Gamemasters alike agree that they leave a lot to be desired.
Critias
Possibly because I see variations of it in the way people behave every day: and increasingly I'm seeing it as the most common behavioural reaction to any kind of having been stymied. I did point to one example directly in that blog entry you found irrelevant, but it's really not difficult to find others around you. Just watch your average office politics in action.

Uhh, no. I'm not going to watch office politics, because I'm not talking about office politics. You shouldn't be talking about office politics, either. For the love of dice, please stop doing your freaky best to drag every single fucking topic as far away from gaming/Shadowrun as you possibly can.

I don't care about office politics, and it's not my job to hunt for examples, much less "find others around me." You said the rules of the game Shadowrun get changed all the time because players hate them, I asked you to tell me when that happened, and then you started talking about office politics.

The burden is on YOU to provide examples of the times the rules to the game Shadowrun have been changed as a direct result of people complaining about them. The burden isn't on me to go find such examples (as they pertain to Shadowrun, or office politics). The burden is on YOU, you made the statement.

The reason I think so much of what you say is irellevent is that so much of what you say is irellevent. When someone tells you to provide them with examples of something you say happens very often, you should respond with -- hey, I dunno -- examples of that something happening.

As to Dumpshock: with v.4, we have seen rules changes happen, in the specific directions I have already indicated in this thread. The regularity is only insofar as it happened with the new edition.

So, for instance... people griped about Shadowrun firearms not being realistic, and now SR4 came around and Shadowrun firearms still aren't realistic (and people are still griping about that), so...Talia has what point again? Quick! Talk about office politics or living in an either/or world!

If it happens all the time (rules changing because players complain about them), why are you having such a hard time just finding me examples?

I don't recall DS crawling with "Target Numbers suck!" threads, or "Man, we need more attributes RIGHT NOW" rants going on, or "ARGH, I hate the flexibility that combat pool provides, GET RID OF IT RIGHT NOW!" being a weekly topic of conversation. Maybe I'm just confused, because I remember (and participated in) plenty of threads saying just the exact fucking opposite as more information about SR4 was revealed, but if you remember all these complaint threads, please, share them with the rest of the class.

HOLY SHIT, IMAGINE THAT! If something in a game isn't fun, people don't like it. Wow. What a revelation.
Talia Invierno
If you don't find it relevant, Critias, no one is forcing you to find it relevant. By the same token, just because you don't find it relevant doesn't mean it isn't.

There's that damn objectivity illusion again. smile.gif

You've already established that any piece of evidence I could find that doesn't match your narrow definitions of "relevant" won't be considered. I've got no interest in forcing you to consider a broader context.

For those who do find this discussion of any relevance whatsover:

What is not immediately enjoyable or gratifying will not be looked at

is not the same as

What does not add anything of value to the game, in the opinion of both the Players and the GM will be discarded.

The first acknowledges that different players may find different things enjoyable or, well, relevant. wink.gif The second measures not enjoyability (which is generally held to be an individual and subjective quality) but a perceived value. We can generally accept that others might find different things enjoyable. It's much more difficult to accept why a logical other wouldn't accept our value hierarchy.

Again, no issues -- diversity of opinion is a wondrous thing -- except where the values of some morph into the canon rules to be followed by all.

I've been examining the surgery rules all through this thread. Most participants in this thread seem not to have found those rules enjoyable and thus don't bother to understand them: but a lack of personal gratification from a part of the rules is easily remedied by house ruling, and a tacit recognition of the subjectivity of enjoyment also means that this or that part of the canon rules which are not found enjoyable by a given group rarely becomes an emotional debate.

However, the vehemence with which this thread has been met suggests that it's not only enjoyment but their actual value -- which has now quietly morphed into the illusion of an objective value, applicable to all -- that is being questioned. A few might perhaps choose to use those rules: but for most there's no real binding reason to keep them in the rules, not when they really have no value to the game as a whole.

Thus those rules have been complained about repeatedly in this forum. And then SR4 came out and they were cut: and there was much rejoicing.

Interesting. That would seem to be a direct Shadowrun-related example, as requested:
The burden is on YOU to provide examples of the times the rules to the game Shadowrun have been changed as a direct result of people complaining about them. The burden isn't on me to go find such examples (as they pertain to Shadowrun, or office politics). The burden is on YOU, you made the statement.

(Though of course you'll point out that it isn't cause-effect direct result, and I'll point out in turn that I didn't introduce the concept of "direct result" in the first place, for a reason. I'm only looking at where SR has morphed in the direction of public opinion, and what the patterns suggest about both public opinion and the future path of SR.)
Critias
And in SR, it's been demonstrated that enough hate, whether or not that hate has any objective grounding, will get the rules changed.

That's your statement. "Hate will get the rules changed."

Not "can." Not "might." Not "it happened this one time, at band camp." Not "one rule changed, because of hate towards it and a ton of other stuff."

Just "Hate will get the rules changed."

All I'm asking for is you to point out times that that's happened. Times that someone said they hated ___________, and ___________ changed as a result. That's it. You started talking about office politics, and telling me I should look around and find my own examples of Shadowrun rules changing in everyday life. That's...pretty silly, and irrelevent. Sorry if you disagree, but that doesn't change the fact that it is so.

Politics at my office (or even your office) have nothing to do with Shadowrun rules changes. Similarly, if you were to ask me about a Firearms rule I don't like (as a for instance), I wouldn't reply with "I like cheeseburgers," and be thought of as having a discussion like a human being. My like or dislike of cheeseburgers -- much like politics around the office -- has nothing to do with Shadowrun's rules.

So if you can't find stuff to back up your statement, that's fine. If you want to retract the statement, instead of finding all these complaint threads that were met with rules changes, I'll understand. Just don't ask me what my favorite flavor of milkshake is, instead of acknowledging that maybe the rules don't get changed just because people complain about them.
Talia Invierno
And in SR, it's been demonstrated that enough hate, whether or not that hate has any objective grounding, will get the rules changed.

I still say that. It's not a cause-effect relationship, but the relationship exists: call it a syndrome-symptom relationship. Enough hate exists, the rules will change. I probably should have qualified the key demographics most listened to.

Example One:

1. I think we've demonstrated that the surgery rules are hated. No houseruling: this ruleset was simply ignored -- but the opposition had a strong voice on Dumpshock.
2. The rules on surgery have changed.
3. The rules on surgery have changed in an utterly predictable manner.

Or -- let's try another one: cyberlimbs.

Example Two:

1. Players have often wanted cyberlimbs, but hated the rules (which they saw as unnecessarily restrictive). Much houseruling, but players didn't see why they should have to houserule this. The opposition had a strong voice on Dumpshock.
2. The rules on cyberlimbs have changed.
3. The rules on cyberlimbs have changed in an utterly predictable manner.

It's the ability to reliably predict that suggests relationship. Do you see isolated, unrelated events?
Critias
So despite threads concerning firearms realism being amongst the most common (enough so there are, as you're quick to point out, two such threads active right now, and for such threads to be common enough to be something of a running gag around here), there's not "enough" hate for them, as compared to, say...the surgery rules (which I barely recall ever even being mentioned before). What about SURGE, perhaps SR3's most vocally maligned material (which still exists in SR4)? How does the absence of change in the face of such hatred relate to your insistence that hate = change?

How do you measure when there's enough hate? What's the scale? Or are we just going to look for any rule that changed, and then claim it changed due to "hate" for the previous rules while providing no evidence of such hatred (like target numbers, combat pool, attributes)? And, in fact, when there were quite a few threads that were very vocal about their hatred of the new rules?

You stated very matter of factly that if people hate a rule, the Shadowrun dev team changes that rule. I'm pointing out instances where there's been plenty of hatred (and no change), and plenty of change (and no vocal hatred) -- so, sorry. But I still just don't see your statement as a true one.
Talia Invierno
Except insofar as it's already incorporated into timeline, SURGE has been steadily downplayed ever since its introduction. It's not something that can be completely undone, because it is part of the canon history. A future release probably will have minimal changeling rules alongside those for metavariants: but I'll also lay odds we won't see a SURGE II equivalent. There's your change.

(A prediction, in fact: and thus something to test theory against.)

Despite the regularly sprouting threads, the board feeling on firearms rules is much more schismed than it might seem at first sight. The participants in those threads are almost always "the usual suspects"; wink.gif and really don't include very many of the mainstream members. Quietly scattered among many, many more threads is at least as frequent a desire to stay with the more abstract rules to assist playability. Both can be PC-taken advantage of, but only one of those positions is almost ideological.

Incidentally, firearms threads occur with approximately parallel regularity as such threads as "why magic is too powerful" and "why adepts are screwed". I wonder if the frequency of their appearance could trace a sine curve? Anyone want to run the numbers?
How do you measure when there's enough hate? What's the scale?

That's a wide-reaching question. I don't know the answer. That's probably a good thing, since it's tightly linked to complete manipulative control of human beings.
Or are we just going to look for any rule that changed, and then claim it changed due to "hate" for the previous rules while providing no evidence of such hatred (like target numbers, combat pool, attributes)? And, in fact, when there were quite a few threads that were very vocal about their hatred of the new rules?

Only when that rule changes predictably. Predictability defines relationship.
Kagetenshi
Going backwards a little:

QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
1. Anything fully within the PC's direct control and of which the PCs can take primary advantage (preferably to inflict damage on NPCs) should be very detailed indeed.

Why do you say this? Do you apply a different set of rules to your NPCs than you do to your PCs? I don't, at least—with a few important exceptions—which means that there generally isn't anything that PCs can do to inflict damage on NPCs that the NPCs can't do. Unless you mean wageslave-style NPCs?

As for the exceptions, I don't play an NPC through several years of gameplay to their karma total. I don't roll to make sure they join their magical group, or that they got their 'ware implanted. Essentially, every negative part of the process doesn't exist for NPCs, and without a lot of work, those parts won't exist. You say the surgery rules are simple? Are they simple enough to do six times before every session, and a dozen or more before major fights?

I also think you are deeply misinformed as to the expectations of the "videogame generation"—or at least that there is a generation gap there you're failing to see. One consistent factor of older games, or even recent ones—see, for example, the new Ninja Gaiden Foo. The consistent of your experience is you die a lot. It is not a design goal that everyone should be able to finish the game. See an older game like Columns, where not only is there no victory condition, the hardest difficulty level (which is naturally reached during sustained play) drops pieces faster than most players can react to, and of the players who can react to it many can only do so for a limited time before fatigue ends their streak. Hell, see even Shadow of the Colossus, which, while not an insanely difficult game, isn't easy, and ends ultimately very ambiguously as to whether or not doing what you did has actually made things better for you or for others.

In short, if you see a trend of self-gratification, you're right if you only average the most popular games. You don't need to dig very far below the surface, though, to find exceptions starting to appear.

(Of course, the people playing Ninja Gaiden Foo probably find dying a lot enjoyable, at least in some way—but then, so do people who participate in any other activity)

but a lack of personal gratification from a part of the rules is easily remedied by house ruling

No, it isn't. Coming up with good rules, that are balanced and not hideously exploitable and don't have edge cases where you end up with extra ears implanted where your eyes were, is hard. Very few areas of the rules can be altered easily and without far-reaching effects.

Which is why the most common house-ruling is total removal, not alteration.

Incidentally, firearms threads occur with approximately parallel regularity as such threads as "why magic is too powerful" and "why adepts are screwed".  I wonder if the frequency of their appearance could trace a sine curve?  Anyone want to run the numbers?

Thanks to Fourier Analysis, it can be represented via composition of sinusoidal basis functions no matter what its frequency is.

~J
Talia Invierno
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
1. Anything fully within the PC's direct control and of which the PCs can take primary advantage (preferably to inflict damage on NPCs) should be very detailed indeed.

Why do you say this? Do you apply a different set of rules to your NPCs than you do to your PCs?

As I recall, the sentence immediately preceding that quote was:
It's almost to the point of a Dumpshock truism:

To identify an observed pattern is not to agree with that pattern ... or disagree with it, for that matter. In and of itself, it's simply a pattern.

Most of the scenarios I have run suggest to use this or that template straight from the books for the "generic" NPCs. This I've done. In doing so, I've accepted that that particular NPC isn't going to have the same depth as a PC. However, every NPC who has become important to the group does get that same depth. I think only two have gotten 'ware upgrades during the active storyline: and those did go through the surgery rules, yes.

FWIW, I've understood the surgery rules to be used for PCs only for in-game upgrades, not during chargen.
I also think you are deeply misinformed as to the expectations of the "videogame generation"—or at least that there is a generation gap there you're failing to see.

It's entirely possible. I know there's far more I don't catch than I do. It's a large world.
One consistent factor of older games, or even recent ones—see, for example, the new Ninja Gaiden Foo. The consistent of your experience is you die a lot. It is not a design goal that everyone should be able to finish the game. See an older game like Columns, where not only is there no victory condition, the hardest difficulty level (which is naturally reached during sustained play) drops pieces faster than most players can react to, and of the players who can react to it many can only do so for a limited time before fatigue ends their streak. Hell, see even Shadow of the Colossus, which, while not an insanely difficult game, isn't easy, and ends ultimately very ambiguously as to whether or not doing what you did has actually made things better for you or for others.

In short, if you see a trend of self-gratification, you're right if you only average the most popular games. You don't need to dig very far below the surface, though, to find exceptions starting to appear.

Although I'll just say that popular games are popular for a reason: and the current direction of SR4 parallels it. I do find it entirely appropriate that there should be a counterculture in the videogames. And now there is a counterculture within SR. smile.gif

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
but a lack of personal gratification from a part of the rules is easily remedied by house ruling

No, it isn't. Coming up with good rules, that are balanced and not hideously exploitable and don't have edge cases where you end up with extra ears implanted where your eyes were, is hard. Very few areas of the rules can be altered easily and without far-reaching effects.

Okay, so the creation of houserules is an agonising exercise to which roleplaying groups willingly subject themselves repeatedly. I've got a binder full. We're real masochists!
Which is why the most common house-ruling is total removal, not alteration.

Hmm ... there's an interesting assertion. I honestly don't know. In your case, you tend to remove, you say; while in our case we usually amend ... lots of amendments post SR4. Would you throw open a thread and ask? I'd be curious as to the ratios.
Thanks to Fourier Analysis, it can be represented via composition of sinusoidal basis functions no matter what its frequency is

And Fourier sequences also demonstrate that a number is only an infinite sequence: though that doesn't do us much practical good when we're counting oranges. Do we choose to look at this as all relationships being meaningless, or all relationships being meaningful, or that all relationships have similar value?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
FWIW, I've understood the surgery rules to be used for PCs only for in-game upgrades, not during chargen.

Absolutely. But for an NPC, chargen goes as far as you want--you can't create a PC out of chargen with Delta MBW-IV and all the trimmings, but you can make an NPC out of "chargen" that way.

Although I'll just say that popular games are popular for a reason

Absolutely. We're not talking about "popular" and "unpopular" here, though--Ninja Gaiden Foo has sold very well and is a well-known title. Same with Shadow of the Colossus. Neither is selling comparably to The Sims, or the GTA series, or the Halo monstrosity, but they're nevertheless seeing solid results.

Going back a bit,

Out of interest, what did you mean by this? I can interpret it several ways.

~J
mfb
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
Except that your TN is -- well, negative -- and your threshold only matters if you don't want any negative options: most of which don't matter anyway if you are only getting the datajack and aren't expecting to take it into a standard shadowrun lifestyle.

no, the TN is 4, because i specifically picked out a TN 4 situation. as for negative options, those are the negative results i've been talking about this whole time.

QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
You can judge for yourself if you want: you have only to ask for a copy. But I will say that I find the lifestyle rules to have been much more densely written than the surgery rules.

i have never heard anyone besides you refer to the lifestyle rules as complex. as a matter of fact, most people i've talked to about them praise them for being so simple and easy to use. the lifestyle rules certainly involve a large number of factors, but the vast, vast, vast majority of those factors are all applied in the same manner, and they're all applied to one basic mechanic--add up points, compare the point total to a chart. the surgery rules, on the other hand, involve a large number of factors that are all applied to different mechanics--one for finding a provider, one for getting the provider to treat you, one for creating the medical profile, one for creating the surgery plan, one for doing the surgery, one for recovering from the surgery, and finally one for tallying up the price of the work. as i've explained several times now, the difference lies not in the number of factors involved but in the complexity of the base mechanic. the basic mechanic for the advanced lifestyle rules is very simple; therefore, it's easy to use even for someone who's never read them. the combat mechanics are complex, but they are used with great frequency; therefore, it's easy to use even rarely-encountered aspects of the combat system, because familiarity with the basic rules is ingrained.

QUOTE (Talia Invierno)

i've used these rules every time a character of mine has gone under the knife. i haven't ever enjoyed using them. this is not a case of "that looks hard, i'm not going to use it", as you are implying.

QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
However, the vehemence with which this thread has been met suggests that it's not only enjoyment but their actual value -- which has now quietly morphed into the illusion of an objective value, applicable to all -- that is being questioned.

most of the vehemence is in response to your tone. if you'd stop acting like anybody who doesn't use the surgery rules is a drooling X-Box generation munchkin, there probably wouldn't be any vehemence at all. whether you intend it or not, that really is the attitude you're projecting through the tone of your posts. if that's not the attitude you intend to project, post differently.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (mfb @ Aug 3 2007, 09:44 AM)
most of the vehemence is in response to your tone. if you'd stop acting like anybody who doesn't use the surgery rules is a drooling X-Box generation munchkin, there probably wouldn't be any vehemence at all. whether you intend it or not, that really is the attitude you're projecting through the tone of your posts. if that's not the attitude you intend to project, post differently.

THIS. This right f*ing here. Your unrelenting tone of smug self-satisfaction and superiority is driving me nuts. I haven't even had an argument with you and I'm hating you just from reading the way you talk to everyone else on DS. It has nothing to do with your opinions/ideas, and everything to do with the way you present them.

Text is admittedly ambiguous, but you have been nothing if not consistent. I'll freely admit that this may not be your personality, or the way you intend to present it, but I don't think mfb and I are completely alone in our perception of the way you present yourself, and the burden is on you to make sure that you're presenting yourself the way you want to be perceived.

edit: One more thing. If mfb and I really are completely alone in our perception, then I'll admit that the problem is probably with us and we probably need to practice our reading skills, but I do not believe that is the case, and unfortunately it wouldn't really be appropriate for a poll. smile.gif

edit: Again, I edit. Okay, having had some time to calm down, this probably didn't come across in the most diplomatic way possible. And that's my fault. This post has been up here long enough that I think editing what I wrote would be dishonest, and y'know, I don't really want to change it either. But try to take it more as a helpful suggestion than a frothing rant. wink.gif
Fortune
That's funny. I agree with mfb's last post.
Critias
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
If mfb and I really are completely alone in our perception...

Don't worry, you aren't.
fistandantilus4.0
Alright, enough said on that subject thank you.
Talia Invierno
@ Kagetenshi:

I referenced "popular" because you brought it in, no other reason.
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)

Out of interest, what did you mean by this? I can interpret it several ways

Mostly that much of the underlying ideas were underway long before SR4 was finalised, but the developers of SR4 chose to go an utterly different route. I don't think any of those ideas made it, even in concept form, into SR4.

As to the deletion: copyright was said to be an issue, and it's the prerogative of those who run the board to decide their personal tolerance levels. Thus it has nothing to do with this topic.

QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
QUOTE (mfb)
Except that your TN is -- well, negative -- and your threshold only matters if you don't want any negative options: most of which don't matter anyway if you are only getting the datajack and aren't expecting to take it into a standard shadowrun lifestyle.

no, the TN is 4, because i specifically picked out a TN 4 situation. as for negative options, those are the negative results i've been talking about this whole time.

Correct me if my math is wrong here.

From p.2, the original described scenario was:
professional surgeons in licensed hospitals do not, statistically, have a one in three chance of screwing up horribly. hell, the screwups at Walter Reed that were recently in the news didn't have a ratio that bad. i mean, you are seriously suggesting that a professional doctor with a good, clean working area, the correct tools, and full knowledge of his patient's medical profile should have to pull a miracle out of his ass every third time he installs a datajack.

Now to M&M.

A standard professional surgeon has Biotech/Medicine of 6.

Part 1 is medical profiling (p.144). The test is Medicine (4). A single success is needed (extras reduce the required time). Not succeeding will give a surgical modifier for "lacking medical profile" of +1.

Part 2 is creating a surgical procedure, which translates out to determining surgical data, is described on pp.146-7. The test is Medicine(4, +1 for every desired positive option). A single success is needed (extras reduce the required time). If it doesn't get successfully created, the surgical modifier for "lacking surgical data" is +1.

Part 3 is the surgery itself. A datajack is considered implant surgery, which gives a base TN of 4, +1 for every positive option desired (p.147). For simplicity, we'll just install the basic datajack, no bells or whistles. We do have to choose two negative options though (p.144, p.148). Per the table on p.144, we know that we need one success to succeed at all, and three successes not to have any negative options.

Now to determine TN.

The base TN for implant surgery (install cyberware) is 4. (p.147)

TN modifers: (text and chart, p.146)

-2 (medical facility/hospital)
-2 (medical gear of better grade than necessary)

Because it's only a standard issue datajack, we don't have an Essence of 2 or less, or any of the upgraded 'ware modifiers. Most people aren't Awakened, so we won't use that +1 modifier either.

This gives a revised TN of 0.

Another possble positive modifer is if an additional doctor is involved of skill at least Biotech/Medicine 4 (-1). Possible negative modifiers are teleconferencing (+1), lacking medical profile (+1), or lacking surgical data (+1) (just in case the earlier steps didn't succeed. This gives a final TN range of -1 to +2.

You could even choose to skip the first two steps entirely, and it would only penalise your TN by +2, changing the final TN range to between 1 and 4. And you'd still have six dice to roll.

The possible negative options for implant surgery of a datajack are an increased Essence cost (d6 x 0.05), Fragility (+1 to future stress tests), and Sensitive (twice as likely to be stressed, relative to its Essence slot ratio). None of these would be particularly relevant in a non-shadowrunning lifestyle where the only piece of 'ware is a datajack.

One success out of six dice is all that is needed to successfully implant the datajack. The second success removes one negative option. The third removes the other negative option.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this doesn't look to me like a 1/3 chance of catastrophic failure.

QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
You can judge for yourself if you want: you have only to ask for a copy. But I will say that I find the lifestyle rules to have been much more densely written than the surgery rules.

i have never heard anyone besides you refer to the lifestyle rules as complex.

You will notice that I didn't use that word.

QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
However, the vehemence with which this thread has been met suggests that it's not only enjoyment but their actual value -- which has now quietly morphed into the illusion of an objective value, applicable to all -- that is being questioned.

Actually, the vehemence I was referring to predates this thread, even to the word "hate", and as it happens I hadn't posted in those threads. Reading them was what gave me the idea for this thread.

So you and Moon-Hawk (and Fortune and Critias) will have to look elsewhere for the cause.
mfb
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
From p.2, the original described scenario was:

no. that was not the original scenario. that was my response to your response to the original scenario. the original scenario was:
QUOTE (mfb)
of course, one problem with the surgery rules is that they're not realistic. a good street doc (skill 6) in average conditions (no modifiers) will inflict some kind of debilitating condition on his patient with ridiculous frequency. something like a third of the time, i think?

as i've said, i intentionally picked out a TN 4 scenario--no positive or negative modifiers.

QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
QUOTE (mfb)
i have never heard anyone besides you refer to the lifestyle rules as complex.

You will notice that I didn't use that word.

fine. the lifestyle rules aren't complex, which means you've wasted everyone's time by bringing them up. thank-you.

QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
So you and Moon-Hawk (and Fortune and Critias) will have to look elsewhere for the cause.

you're going to have to look elsewhere for a conversation. i'm done with your smug bullshit. go play word games with someone else's honest attempt to explain things to you, you silly bint.
Talia Invierno
Your choice, of course.

I'll mention only that even in completely average conditions, so long as the street doc has any kind of non-mobile clinic at all: that's still a -1 bonus to TN, making a net 3 (not 4). (Mobile isn't average.)

And they still need only one success out of six dice to install the datajack successfully.
Ravor
They still need three sucesses in order to achieve the same results that are automatically assumed at char-gen. And I don't know nor really care at this point how you run your games but I sure as hell am not going to roll up the possible surgery results on the NPCs I introduce into the campaign.

So not only are the rules a pain in the ass, they discourage Players from upgrading their cyber in play, they aren't fun, and impart an unfair advantage to the NPCs. There isn't much in them to love from the viewpoint of either a player or a DM, but if you like them then by all means continue to use them and covert them over to Fourth Edition as a House Rule.
Talia Invierno
I'm torn.

On the one hand, I know there is a rational and objective debate to be had. I can see counter-points to every single non ad hominem point that has been raised, including the most recent one. (Btw I am female, but I'm not Arabic, though I do understand a few words and know a few of the letters.) And in a different environment, I might well discuss them further, showing every bit of that self-confidence that translates as arrogance to those who have already decided a priori that I have nothing of value to say here: even though I happen to be agreeing throughout that there is general hate of these rules, even from the opening post of this thread.

That has never been the issue.

On the other hand, I also know that not one person currently involved in this thread is willing to look at anything I have to say on this subject rationally and objectively. It's already been decided, on a priori and sometimes circular logic, that the hate is fully and objectively and rationally justifiable. Ironically, that objective and rational justification is exactly what's being questioned.

So the only possible "win" would be if either if I were to abandon the debate (be silenced), or if I were to completely concede in every particular that all the negatives people keep bringing up are inherent to the rules -- and thus concede that the hate is rationally justified.

Like everyone else who has said much the same in this thread: I know there are better uses to make of my time.

Still, we do spend time at Dumpshock, don't we? spin.gif
Vaevictis
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
It's already been decided, on a priori and sometimes circular logic, that the hate is fully and objectively and rationally justifiable. Ironically, that objective and rational justification is exactly what's being questioned.

Part of the problem is the assumption that people's preferences (and that's what we're really talking about here) need to be objective or rational.

1. I don't find that the surgery rules add anything enjoyable to the my games (a preference not needing objective or rational justification).
2. Because I find the rules cumbersome (opinion not needing justification), and because of {1}, the rules detract from my enjoyment of the game (again, something that doesn't need justification)
3. Because of {1} and {2}, I don't like the surgery rules.

It's not necessary to objectively and/or rationally justify such a progression; it's like asking someone to justify their dislike of a certain flavor.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Talia Invierno @ Aug 4 2007, 01:01 AM)
I referenced "popular" because you brought it in, no other reason.

I brought it in because I had a high confidence level that you were going to reference it. I'll grant that the most popular games dole out rewards fairly easily—but nevertheless, other games that cannot not be called "popular" don't. We're finding variety within the spectrum of "popularity", not having to go to games that no one has ever heard of.

Also, something to toss out there—how much effort is demanded of someone to watch a movie to the end?

Mostly that much of the underlying ideas were underway long before SR4 was finalised, but the developers of SR4 chose to go an utterly different route.  I don't think any of those ideas made it, even in concept form, into SR4.

They pared down the number of Matrix actions and Utilities, just like we did. Other than that, we went in nearly diametrically opposed philosophical directions.

As to the deletion: copyright was said to be an issue, and it's the prerogative of those who run the board to decide their personal tolerance levels.  Thus it has nothing to do with this topic.

Pink elephants could have been said to be an issue. It is the prerogative of those who run the board to decide what remains on it—nothing else matters.

On the other hand, I also know that not one person currently involved in this thread is willing to look at anything I have to say on this subject rationally and objectively.

It's not impossible that my mind is less open than I believe it to be. I'm pretty sure you're wrong about this, at least barring the possibility that there is no "objective" and "rational", at least for the human mind, though, and if you aren't, I'm so thoroughly irrational about my approach that I can't even begin to see that.

Be aware, though, that my dislike of the surgery rules is based on quite a bit of pondering and debate as to what goes into good game design.

So did you ever provide a reason why

QUOTE (me)
Basically, they were a totally uncontrollable risk you had to take any time you wanted to add cyberware, and one that didn't apply to most Awakened. Dying on the table because the NPC cyberdoc rolled badly isn't fun, and neither is having to consider whether or not to try to get major surgery to improve yourself while the party mage is learning how to deal 3S damage to an area 150 meters in diameter (IIRC) for very little drain.

It's an unnecessary disadvantage, unequally applied, that has only small benefits to the game (it is vital that implantation cost be separated from 'ware cost for fencing 'ware to make any sense at all) and none that couldn't have been gotten some other way. The complexity doesn't even enter into it--it's uncommon enough that almost any amount of complexity is acceptable.

either isn't a problem or isn't inherent to the rules?

(Post flows badly due to numerous edits)

~J
Pendaric
With respect there are plenty of moderate posters on these boards that shy away from threads dedicated to debate, due the almost reflexive habit, of said debate being polarized into an arguement.
This done repeatedly by a small core that post vehemently on their chosen postion.
I define arguement as a situation where two distinct sides form with differing views that they REFUSE to change.

Most of those willing to debate the issue long gave up on this thread due to experience that the more venemous posts and pernious posters would be seen and referenced.
Welcome to dumpshock.
Ravor
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
On the other hand, I also know that not one person currently involved in this thread is willing to look at anything I have to say on this subject rationally and objectively. It's already been decided, on a priori and sometimes circular logic, that the hate is fully and objectively and rationally justifiable. Ironically, that objective and rational justification is exactly what's being questioned.

*Shrugs* That is what tends to happen when you twist statements such as;

QUOTE (Ravor)

into;

QUOTE (Invierno)

All the while standing tall on your soap box and letting slip the occassional jab implying that people who generally like the direction Fourth Edition went are part of a younger, videogame raised generation.
Talia Invierno
Here's a distinction:

Where a player is referencing only their opinion, there can't be statements such as "the rules are stupid": because that implies objective description. As soon as someone says that the innate structure of the rules is stupid, that is an objective statement. These are ways of demonstrating to others that one's own perception has some objective reality.

Were we talking about preferences only, there wouldn't be the need to do so, and we'd be hearing qualifiers like YMMV much more often.

Incidentally, rationality refers to the underlying structure being pinned on reason, ie. to have been thought out in a logical manner; but also in close parallel: to have an understandable reason. If we throw out rationality altogether, not much point in developing a shared rule system.

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Also, something to toss out there—how much effort is demanded of someone to watch a movie to the end?

An interesting point. In parallel: is the percentage of students who try to do book reports by watching the film instead changing? I've recently been running across many, many college English BAs who have poor writing skills and who have stated they hate reading; plus I used to grade papers when I worked as a TA, and edit/tutor students long before that: so I've learned not to take anything for granted anymore.

I'm not thrilled about the threads deletion either. I'd have been much more upset if you hadn't been given a copy of all the threads. (You have, haven't you?)

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
So did you ever provide a reason why
QUOTE (mfb)
Basically, they were a totally uncontrollable risk you had to take any time you wanted to add cyberware [snip]

either isn't a problem or isn't inherent to the rules?

Actually, from the first page I was suggesting not only that this may in fact be the case, but also that the desire to eliminate as much as possible compromise or any type of ceded control to an NPC may have been a dominant factor in SR4 rules changes generally. I believe I cited the changes to Astral Gateway as another example thereof.

In this case btw, I'd suggest that maybe the compromise and/or ceded control elements of the game are not an inherent problem. The powers of the world are not the PCs alone after all; and temporary circumstances may even bring temporary power to the least powerful of NPCs. Anaesthesia is even one of the classics of storyline.

Removing these elements consistently in favour of total PC control, however, does drift the game in the directions NightmareX suggests. (Here's hoping I don't kill that thread with this link.)

It's a curious point that the power of this particular debate arose only because what had always been taken for granted was (a) questioned and (b) examined without assuming an underlying inherent problem. And you're right, Pendaric: it could have stopped instantly had I only accepted blindly what was always taken for granted.

What few may realise is that I really don't care about who rules which way on which rules. Before I wrote that last post I was literally speechless -- voice and written alike -- with helpless laughter: what could I possibly write to that? especially since the one thing I've been trying to avoid all along is a polarity? I'm really not trying to fight for one side. I'm just trying to keep the overwhelmingly dominant view from being the only view: something I think runs counter to understanding.

I'm just curious about what underlies reactions to specific patterns of rules -- especially where stated preferences sometimes surface-appear to contradict each other: and thereby obtain some level of understanding and predictability as to how perspectives evolve ... and thus maybe develop some idea about where canon SR is going?
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Talia)
Actually, from the first page I was suggesting not only that this may in fact be the case, but also that the desire to eliminate as much as possible compromise or any type of ceded control to an NPC may have been a dominant factor in SR4 rules changes generally. I believe I cited the changes to Astral Gateway as another example thereof.

I think you're over generalizing. The rules changes in question (the new surgery rules, the new Astral Gateway rules) aren't symptomatic of the greater design philosophy of SR4 - that's just me personally as a writer (and by extension, Peter Taylor as an editor). I like to tie mechanics in to other mechanics and to remove hanging rules text or fringe cases where players can die without getting to roll dice.

But there's no world mandate for that. I just like it better that way - and if reviews are any indication I'm not alone.

QUOTE (Talia)
I'm really not trying to fight for one side. I'm just trying to keep the overwhelmingly dominant view from being the only view: something I think runs counter to understanding.

And the thing that I think you should step back and really take note of is that you are being a jerk.

Seriously. You think that you're out there trying to get people to think rationally about a concept and look at all the points of view - but what you're actually doing is repeatedly insulting the intelligence of everyone involved. Playing devil's advocate is all fine and all - but if you just tell people that they aren't being objective over and over again you're being... well... insulting.

-Frank
Pendaric
It takes two or more to argue. My intent was not to shift blame on to one individual.
Is it so much to hope for casual free roaming debate. Like you have with your friends after a game?
Apparently yes. Because this is the internet which means the most innocent comment becomes insta-barbeque topic.
We have had good and interesting debate of this nature on Dumpshock.
No, really.
It just required everyone to be polite and relaxed, not throw down their opinion like a gauge to the challenge.
Kagetenshi
I'm confused. This isn't the way you debate with your friends after a game?

~J
Pendaric
"Dull thunk of head hitting wall repeatedly." smile.gif
Talia Invierno
Er -- Frank, don't take this the wrong way in turn: but your analysis and advice is coming from someone who has repeatedly agenda-advocated even over the actual rules as written in the SR4 forum, to the point of overtly insulting your fellow writers and calling the final edited work a piece of shit because it omitted your specific changes. (Yes, I've been reading the various Augmentation threads.)

A regular member who posted as you did would normally have been warned by the administrators, if not banned.

If you -- and others who were all too willing to jump on your bandwagon there -- see what I am writing as somehow personal when absolutely nothing of the kind has been said or inferred about anyone: well, I do have to consider where the criticism is coming from. Can't help but notice that despite the popularity of mob mentality, the same kind of bandwagon didn't form in this thread.

For others: the face-to-face debates of which I am a part tend to be much more animated. grinbig.gif
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Talia)
A regular member who posted as you did would normally have been warned by the administrators, if not banned.

Frank is a regular member. Freelancers have no other rights or privileges on the boards than you do. Nor do they recieve special treatment. When someone posts something they should not, we either post a comment in-thread, or send a direct PM. IF someone does get a warning, we don't feel the need to report it to the boards as a whole.

I can understand that people here have issues with the way people post. That however is not the purpose of this thread, nor any thread. Please keep this on topic.
FrankTrollman
Er -- Frank, don't take this the wrong way in turn: but your analysis and advice is coming from someone who has repeatedly agenda-advocated even over the actual rules as written in the SR4 forum, to the point of overtly insulting your fellow writers and calling the final edited work a piece of shit because it omitted your specific changes. (Yes, I've been reading the various Augmentation threads.)

Guilty. There are many more diplomatic ways to clal attention to wording errors, but tactically it does call attention to those wording errors and gets things changed. The statement "I don't like the text on page 178" changes nothing, but my profanity laced tirade about recursive spirit invasion got unbound remote service errataed. Similarly for the text on Essence holes on page 127. Swearing and hat stomping does get the problematic text noticed (and since it doesn't even say what the alternate interpretation wanted it to say, it does need attention).

But consider that there is a difference between:
  • Swearing and raising a fuss because some text is deficient.
    and
  • Repeatedly condescendingly stating that the opinions of another person are not true and therefore wrong.

The first is being a jerk, but actually structurally neutral. Noone needs to be offended by that, it's not specifically directed to anyone. The second is directly belittling another person and virtually guaranteed to piss them off to no end.

As a self proclaimed total asshole, believe me when I say that there are lines that you don't cross if you don't want to start blood feuds. It's all well and good to insult inanimate objects, blocks of text, or even ideologies - but the instant you carry that over to individual people you've lost the moral high ground.

Fist covered that quite well. I am just a member. And yes, I can get warnings. Just as Ancient History can get himself banned from RPG.net, and I can get banned from the WotC forums, I could very plausibly get banned from here.

-Frank
Sedna
[edit]
Talia Invierno
Is that all you think you did there, Frank: just some profanity?

But:
Repeatedly condescendingly stating that the opinions of another person are not true and therefore wrong.

Please, find one single place in this thread where I said that something was not true -- unless it is in the part about complexity, which I demonstrated to allow working through using one TN + modifiers (ie. far less complex than combat). That I did state, and repeatedly: and I cited the numbers to prove it.

If I can prove a point quantifiably and absolutely, why should I back down from it?
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Talia)
If I can prove a point quantifiably and absolutely, why should I back down from it?

Because you can't prove this point. You're comparing tangerines and guava.

One is an open test coupled to a success test, with the TN of the success test varying depending upon a considerable number of variables, and the results of the Open test likewise floating based on a series of variables some of which are outside of player control and some of which have to be selected from a list.

The other is an opposed test between two characters where the TN floats based on circumstance.

---

If people are telling you that figuring the results and odds of an open test coupled to a success test is "too complicated" while running any number of success tests one after another is not - maybe that's just not something you can objectively disprove. Possibly, quite possibly, people are getting pissed off at you because they have told you that in their experience doing that particular mathematical exercise is a pain and you told them repeatedly that in "absolute terms" they were somehow wrong.

-Frank
Talia Invierno
Sorry, but it's not an Open Test.

Open Tests don't have TNs (defined both in Shadowbeat and the BBB), and the surgery rules do at every step. A modified or derived TN is still a TN.
Fuchs
In my experience, the surgery rules were looked at when they first came out for SR1 or 2, not sure anymore, then people stated that they were unfair since they gave the possibility that all other things equal, luck would mean one character got more essence left for the same amount of implants than another, which our group felt we did not want to have in game.

Complexity and such did not come into play at all - back then, we'd have gladly spent a day figuring out the rules. We simply did not want to have characters pay uneven amounts of essence for the same implants due to lucky rolls.

I think this aspect wasn't mentioned before.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)

Open Tests don't have TNs (defined both in Shadowbeat and the BBB), and the surgery rules do at every step. A modified or derived TN is still a TN.

Are you high?

QUOTE (Man & Machine @ page 144)
Additionally, each Surgery Test made is treated as an open-ended Success Test. The target number for this is called the Surgical Threshold. The base Threshold is the test's target number. Count down the Procedural List, marking off options achieved by successes. Surgical options can modify the Threshold as options are reached on the Procedural List. Apply any Threshold modifiers; all such modifiers are cumulative. If the high result of the Surgical Test does not meet the modified Threshold, that option is not achieved, nor are any further down the list, even if there are successes remaining.

-Frank
Bull
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
QUOTE (Talia Invierno @ Aug 6 2007, 12:43 AM)

Open Tests don't have TNs (defined both in Shadowbeat and the BBB), and the surgery rules do at every step.  A modified or derived TN is still a TN.

Are you high?

Oookay. Time to put an end to this. Talia, Frank, to your corners. You're just butting heads now and refusing to back down. Since you're not making any progress, and it's just frustrating the both of you, I think it's time to close up shop before anything gets out of hand.

Bull
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012