Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bring out yer dead
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
nezumi
One of my characters runs a street clinic. I've set up a simple mechanic so that he makes a certain amount of money based on the value of the used cyber he brings in during a run (so about a quarter of the book price, assuming the ware is in perfect condition). However I've realized he brings in a lot of bodies in very good condition (generally just eviscerated or with a few very well placed shots). So I'm wondering, all told, about how much would a metahuman body be worth? What about a magical metahuman body? How fast do they sell? What else would I need to know before determining a 'fair' street price for him?
Large Mike
Take a look at Augmentation for prices of organs, and give him a percentage based on what you think is fair market value and what organs are still intact. After that, figure out how much he can charge for ghoul chow (probably not much).

I don't see why Awakened bodies would be worth any more than mundane bodies. They're not Awakened any more.
fistandantilus4.0
From what I recall from today's market, all the part s (including marrow, eyes, etc) can be sold off for over 100 grand. As lnog as all the part s are in good condition. This is what I recall from an article on a mortuary that was actually selling the parts on the black market. Don't know if that would go up or down though in SR era.
Kagetenshi
Take a look at SR3 p128—it has prices for limbs and organs, and if you apply the usual fencing modifier that should work out for you.

~J
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Large Mike)
I don't see why Awakened bodies would be worth any more than mundane bodies. They're not Awakened any more.

Yeah; they're permanently asleep now.
nezumi
34 minor organs = $255k
14 major organs = $210k
4 limbs = $100k
(going off the list on wiki plus 4 limbs, regularly forgetting to count doubles)
Total: $565k

(This is final retail price. Since the fellow in question is a street doc with a clinic, so he actually can make full price on it.)

So for every person he kills and brings back more or less intact, he can expect about half a million nuyen?
Thomas
Sounds like free money to me.

Is he careful to only kill type O donors? What’s the cost of auto-immune response inhibiter drugs? What if someone wants to track down the dearly departed?

I wouldn’t give a PC a free ride.
Herald of Verjigorm
What's the second hand organ group's name again? I'm thinking Tantamouse, but I know that's not the right spelling at least and I'm not sure which book to check.

But my point is that there's a nice monopoly on 'previously used' 'free range' organs and limbs, and monopolies don't like startups, no matter how small.
bibliophile20
Tamenous
Kagetenshi
Tamanous.

~J
bibliophile20
Oopsie.
Cthulhudreams
Doesn't the price for a new organs include surgery? So much like cyber wear you are going to get a pretty heavily discounted price because you have to undercut a fresh vat grown clone by a significant margin.

Is anyone really going to want body parts? Wouldn't it be cheaper just to clone stuff?
Angelone
The price for surgery used to be added into the cost, but in M&M they added surgery rules (which most don't use) and it set up different prices for surgery. So to answer your question by canon no, in practice yes.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Cthulhudreams)
Doesn't the price for a new organs include surgery?

Regardless of whether or not this is the case, this is exactly the sort of situation that should be pointed to for an explanation of why this (implicit surgery costs) is a horrible, horrible idea.

~J
nezumi
The character in question is a surgeon, so surgery costs would be part of his income.

Immuno-suppressants are free. The rules for the clinic clearly state it includes a device that can make just about any medication he might need.

And yes, why would anyone buy body parts when they can get cloned parts? That's the crux of my problem. If he gets a datajack or a pair of cybereyes, he can just about guaranteed to be able to sell. Sure they're used now, but even so, that's a product that'll move. Body someone's leftover left arm? We assume surgery is about half the cost of a given piece of cyber, but is that the case with meat too? How does lack of demand impact these prices? It seems to me that if a runner is holed up in a hospital waiting for an arm, his buddies should have no problem going out, finding someone similar, killing the guy and bringing the body back, thereby saving the runner a good chunk of change, yet there isn't much of anything to separate the value of the limb from the value of the surgery.

How about this for a rephrase, if a runner needs a new organ or limb and his team go and bring in a body double to supply said organs or limbs, how much does the doctor charge?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (nezumi @ Aug 6 2007, 09:44 AM)
And yes, why would anyone buy body parts when they can get cloned parts?  That's the crux of my problem.

Cost.

As you say, the way they express the cost is completely broken.

~J
Wounded Ronin
I would agree that the big question is whether or not something can move. Since SR doesn't really have an economic engine I guess this is handled poorly or not at all.

Basically, just because limbs retail for X it doesn't mean that limbs translate into X. If we bring a body back to the clinic, unless there's a huge line of people with missing organs waiting for a secondhand replacement, I doubt you're going to "use every part of the buffalo". You have to figure that of all the clients coming for new limbs only a certain portion are going to actually buy secondhand and it's unlikely that there will be enough such clients to use up each and every organ in the recovered body.

So, the amount of profit someone makes off a body is directly related to the number of secondhand limb patients. The rest of the body must eventually go to waste. We need rules to simulate this! And it must have different ratios of cloned to cyber to secondhand based on neighborhood economics.

MORE RULES! BRING ME MORE RULES!
Kagetenshi
Write them up, and if they're good they're a shoo-in for SR3R.

~J
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Write them up, and if they're good they're a shoo-in for SR3R.

~J

Gosh, how exciting it would be.

But, man, I've been sitting here thinking about it for a few minutes and it's really something I don't think I can do without my Shadowrun sourcebooks, which are back in the US. I'd need to look at specific prices, availability ratings, and the like, so as to try and approximate scarcity, demand, and so on. I may be able to create a physad entirely from memory but it gets a lot harder to remember every table in the deadly damage and healing section.

I can think of an overall conceptual framework, though, because it should actually apply to any medical goods and services that a Shadowrunner might want to move which are subject to supply and demand. I'd argue that even if we assume for the sake of argument that the regular fencing loot rules are terrific those rules seem to be designed to reflect luxury items, as the rules specifically mention novahot prototypes, expensive or unique gear, etc. Nobody NEEDS a top of the line assault rifle in the same way that the NEED a replacement limb that is secondhand. One is an enabler to let you do your job better. The other is basic to your quality of life.

So, basically, the difference is that medical supplies would be easier to sell than loot in places where there is a need for these medical supplies, but that when the supply exceeds the need they would suddenly be very hard to sell. What the hell are you going to do with a secondhard arm you don't need? It's a bit like the water diamond paradox.

So, I would consider the rule for medical supplies and secondhand limbs to work roughly as follows:

1.) Determine neighborhood that supplies are being sold in. That is to say, determine average level of wealth, level of demand (upscale neighborhood would have very low demand for replacement limbs or even top of the line cyberarms, barrens probably pretty high for all replacements), and number of clients (as a function of percentage of population involved in violent occupations). This represents the market for replacement limbs or other emergency medical supplies.

2.) Determine % of the market that the street doc can reach given visibility of clinic, reputation, etc. Determine how frequently these members of the market get injured and need a replacement; probably lower if the market is high end shadowrunners and higher for gangbangers. This determines how many clients from the market the doc will see per month or whatever. This will in turn determine either how many limbs the PC doc can sell, or else how many limbs the PC salesman can expect to sell to a local doc.

3.) Determine final factors. If the PC is selling limbs the doc is going to want to buy them for no more than 1/4 of his retail cost, I'd guess, and at most he might buy 10% more limbs than he needs if he wants to be sure that he won't run out. If the PC is the doc you'd need to roll some dice to allow for random fluctuations in demand; if a few more or a few less clients come in to buy limbs than expected. You'd also add a certain level of expenses to simulate the cost of preserving the limbs using refrigeration or whatever on a by-quantity basis, and finally you'd have there be a certain skill-based probability of reputation going up or down based on either an accident-free month, or the number of botched surgeries.

Don't forget that in the above example "limb" could mean a secondhand limb, or salavaged cyber...what the client is buying depends on his socioeconomic status.
Cthulhudreams
Doesn;t one of the Docwagon subscriptions include a completely cloned body of you as a toss in with a years subscription?

In that case, aren't second hand body parts going to be worth like half that plus implantation? I'm assuming there is some economy of scale in going the whole hog, but also cloned parts are going to be alot more attractive than someone elses second hand bits.
Kagetenshi
IIRC, it does. I can't find the reference, though, and it's likely to be one of the upper (and thus very expensive) levels.

~J
Fortune
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
IIRC, it does. I can't find the reference, though, and it's likely to be one of the upper (and thus very expensive) levels.

Platinum and above, IIRC.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Cthulhudreams)
Doesn;t one of the Docwagon subscriptions include a completely cloned body of you as a toss in with a years subscription?

In that case, aren't second hand body parts going to be worth like half that plus implantation? I'm assuming there is some economy of scale in going the whole hog, but also cloned parts are going to be alot more attractive than someone elses second hand bits.

Right. Even in the basic rules for deadly damage you have the choice of either a cloned limb (if you prepared in advance) or a secondhand one. The secondhand one was basically the worst thing you could get and the only reason to do it was if you didn't have enough money for something better.

That's where the area market aspect of a rule would come into play. If you were in a poor area there'd be more demand for secondhand limbs whereas in a wealthier area the demand for cloned parts or cyber would be higher and secondhand would be lower.
Fuchs
As a rule of thumb: No mater what rules you do - the payment for dragging a body to a street doc should never be more than the payment for a run. Otherwise, shadowrunning does not make economical sense anymore (why risk your life for 5K if you can bag some nobody and sell the parts for 50K?).
Kagetenshi
Given that the payment for a body is based on preexisting prices, that means you're going to need to adjust the price for the run, not artificially constrain the price for the body.

~J
Fuchs
Or simply adjust the prices for "used" organs downward.
Kagetenshi
But that makes no sense—the price for used organs is based, as I just said, on preexisting prices.

~J
Fuchs
Why would it not make any sense? With cheap cloning available, used organs (and all the immunosuppressing stuff one needs with them) need a boost, and making them dirt cheap would explain why someone even bothers with them.
Kagetenshi
The cloning costs, as they stand, aren't cheap. IIRC, a full limb is 25,000 nuyen--that's 5/4 what a top-paid Lone Star Enforcement Officer makes in a year!

The standard fencing rules are adequate for the cost reduction, or nearly so.

~J
Fuchs
And what does that officer's insurance cover?
Kagetenshi
On-duty medical issues only. While on duty they've got a DocWagon contract of a level that I don't remember, but if they get injured off-the-job it's out of their own pocket.

~J
nezumi
I have to amend my earlier statement...

I got my numbers initially from the table on page 128 (Body Part Types Table). What I didn't notice is it isn't labeled whether this is the cost for cloned parts (which would make sense, considering it has a 'base time to grow' or donated parts. The book offers no hint. However, M&M goes into more detail. We have three versions of transplant organs:

Generic donations - this is for 60% of the cost of what is listed on the table in SR3. Presumably my street doc would be doing this mostly, so that cuts significantly into his profit.

Type O parts - these parts undergo a medical profile to see if they match with the recipient. The book doesn't go into detail on how long this process takes or how common it is to find a Type O donor for a given recipient choosing from a given set of bodies, so we can only guess. It does say hospitals have an 'ample supply of generic parts in storage... In rare cases, a well-stocked hospital may have a Type O part on hand.' Presumably, this means that Type O organs are very unusual and therefore out of the reach of our street doc. If you're selling organs to the hospital, unless you already know it's a match, they'll sell as generic donations. This also shows me that a Type O donation costs as much as a cloned organ.

Cloned organs - we know this. Obviously, unless you run a cloning shop, you can't sell cloned organs. If you do have the cloned organs for a given recipient, they would sell as well or better than Type O parts. For everyone else they're generic parts.

This leads me to believe that generic parts have a pretty low cost in most areas. I imagine paying people for these is like paying people for scrap copper. They get the cost of gas plus a few hundred. Enough to scrape by, but not enough to really make a living.
DuckEggBlue Omega
Another simple explanation for cheap bodies, expensive parts, could be wastage. Wastage can have a serious effect on the profit margins for any perishable good. I used to work in a factory that among other things, made those layered cream wafer biscuits. To cut down on the wastage of the off cuts from the biscuits (they're made in larger sheets and then cut into the required shapes), they begun grinding them into powder and putting it back into the cream as filler.

A Street Doc might buy say 5 corpses one week from some runners, because he needs fresh parts and body parts have a farily short shelf life, but he ends up scrapping them for ghoul chow because he had no buyers that week. The next week he buys another 5 corpses and somone DOES want that second hand leg, but now he not only needs to turn a profit on that limb, but cover the expenses of all the limbs he wasted. And he's still only selling the leg this week, the rest of the body is more wastage. And that's not taking into account diseased and sickly bodyparts from poor living conditions (helps deter people from killing junkies and other nobodies) or the wounds inflicted in killing the person.

This way, if you think 30% for standard fenceing rules is still too much, you can pretty much justify dropping it to whatever you like.
Serial_Peacemaker
Ah, stick and shock and a autodoc to keep them under. Then all the doc has to worry about is food. Not even tasty food.
Thomas
QUOTE (Serial_Peacemaker)
Ah, stick and shock and a autodoc to keep them under. Then all the doc has to worry about is food. Not even tasty food.

Thats. Just. Twisted.

<I like it!>
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012