Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Most Botched Runs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Kagetenshi
Y'know, screw it. Dun Fe'Ran's right. I'll summarize in the morning, but the transcript of the session can be found here.

~J
Shanshu Freeman
What can we learn from these botched runs? What do they all have in common? (Aside from the obvious, "We didn't think it though, were rushed, tried to solve the problem with guns, etc, etc."
Dim Sum
Bug City ... team gets sent in to extract subject A. Within the first 10 minutes of the campaign, the team gets cornered by a swarm of bugs in an old warehouse housing a road tanker belonging to a smuggler making runs into the city to sell gas to the inhabitants. The tanker is dripping from a leaky valve and the mage, after spotting this, prompt declares that he's going to fireball the pool of leaked gasoline. When everyone screams at him not to, he relents, says he has a better idea and proceeds to fireball the gas tank itself.

... BOOM! ... Everyone declares Hand of God ... end of campaign. dead.gif

When asked later why he did it, the mage explained that if the bugs thought everyone was dead, they would leave ....
Sahandrian
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Y'know, screw it. Dun Fe'Ran's right. I'll summarize in the morning, but the transcript of the session can be found here.

~J

Right where it started to go wrong, our group, depending on who was playing that game, would have either pulled concealed weapons out of 20 hidden pockets, or done something completely insane that they think they saw in a movie one time.

It's rare that they severely screw up a run. I let them get away with these things and I don't know why.
CirclMastr
QUOTE (Sahandrian)
Right where it started to go wrong, our group, depending on who was playing that game, would have either pulled concealed weapons out of 20 hidden pockets, or done something completely insane that they think they saw in a movie one time.

I'd say the first mistake was trying to CT the second corper. But then I didn't like the way J was handling CT on the first corper (which I at least had the decency to keep to PMs *cough*). The character was a Drake, which is rediculously expensive, so there were no 20 concealed weapons or anything like that (or the skill points to be able to use them either, it was the first run using him). After the run, he was picked up by S-K if I remember correctly.
Sahandrian
That practice seems to have been inspired, in our group anyway, by our Neo-wannabe adept from long ago and another GM. He had two small SMGs, four machine pistols, four Predators, and two AVS's hidden in various places on his body. And I think there were a pair of light pistols for an emergency, too.
Deschain
QUOTE (Sahandrian)
That practice seems to have been inspired, in our group anyway, by our Neo-wannabe adept from long ago and another GM. He had two small SMGs, four machine pistols, four Predators, and two AVS's hidden in various places on his body. And I think there were a pair of light pistols for an emergency, too.

So um....what were the other guns for, delivering pizzas? biggrin.gif grinbig.gif biggrin.gif rotfl.gif
Kagetenshi
Oh yes, for those who read our run log, there's one little detail that tops the whole thing off. PM me if you want to know, 'cause there's no way I'm letting the people involved find out. vegm.gif

I seem to be using that smiley a lot on this thread.

~J
Siege
QUOTE (Deschain)
QUOTE (Sahandrian)

So um....what were the other guns for, delivering pizzas? biggrin.gif grinbig.gif biggrin.gif rotfl.gif

And a pair of light pistols?

Geeze...why? Maybe one if I want to put myself out of my misery...

-Siege
moosegod
For using such a pathetic piece of...
Sahandrian
This was the same guy who submitted the 1 billion nuyen cyber-adept he created without using any rules (hoping our newbie guest GM wouldn't reject it) and the gun adept who could kill a western dragon on his own, by the way.

Both of those are somewhere on the previous forums.
Kagetenshi
Oh god. The Munchkin thread?
*Shudders at the memory*

~J
Jimmy_the_Fixer
I started my campaign with the players being double -crossed by a decker freind they met through their old fixer, so for protection they went to the mob for help.

so as a well paid favor they asked them to go intimidate the head lawer at a law firm at the edge of town. the lawer hadn't paid some debts and they wanted it now.

the lawer was a really influential contact so they wanted to keep him alive, but just have them scare the head of the firm, beat up a few no-name, lower paid lawers, and kill whatever security that got in their way.

so the group walks in at about 3:00PM, convince the gaurd that its okay for them to be there, and proceed to his office.

they get there without any problems (they just walked through), get to his secratery, and in the middle of her asking if they have an appointment, the dwarf street sam beats her in the face with a stick.

she's knocked out, so the dwarf busts down the door, and starts the intimidation process.

the mentally deranged adept we had in the group comes in and starts hacking at the secratery, and screaming about how much he's disgusted at society.
then he walks in to the room with the lawer and the dwarf, sees whats going on, and decides to help.

the adept starts by stabbing the guy in the hands while going for a panic button under his desk (they were instructed not to touch the lawer) then intimidates him thuroughly.

from the screaming and the ruckus, the security guy notices something wrong and knocks on the door outside the waiting room/secratery office.
the team notices and shoots the living daylights out of the unfortunate rent-a-cop.

by doing this they have left the adept without supervision, which he then rips open the lawer and spreads his blood all over the office just in time for the dwarf to run in and see the mess.

the group runs away and the mob gets word of course and forces them to do a series of dangerous jobs for no pay to work off the insane/stupid crap the adept pulled.
Panzergeist
Oh come on you wusses, tell us your stories. Everyone's done something dumb sometime. I haven't botched a shadowrun yet, but the one campaign I played in D&D 3rd edition, my necromancer character turned a fallen PC into a zombie, which pissed of the rest of the team, who had hoped to cart him to a city and shell out major cash to resurect him. And in real life, I once had trouble opening a packet of ketchup, so I decided to burst it rather than tearing it open. I smashed it with my elbow, getting ketchup all over my jacket and the table. Think I was 11 at the time.
Siege
Welll...

This was a d20 game, but...

We had a psychic character who managed to get set on fire four or five times by fellow party members over the course of a month.

He ended up using it to justify his change to pyro. grinbig.gif

-Siege
Shockwave_IIc
Well i ran this game once for a friend of mine (the older folk may rememeber the lvl9 initaite physad that the debate about knuckular combustion was about)

Before the ran began she was called by a contact in a mega corp and asked if she wouldn't mind helping out on the off chance if they needed it. Being a friend and all she agreed.

Now this was the run, one of the staff from a company has been extracted and was being held in an apartment in Auburn. The job since the company didn't want the employee anymore the character in question had ot find and kill him. Ok so a little tough, find where he is and get past the SR team that had him.

K. So she found the building, using fiber optics and basic survallence she got the rough jist of the layout and where people where. So after a brief firefight three of the team dead, the target and a very savy Physad hide in the kitchen (the physad had during the firefight open the kitchen window and had fired out a grapple line to the roof but had run out of time to start climbing it).

Looking into the kitchen seeing the window open with the grapple line hang out our Pc swears and run to the roof to cut them off. mean while Physad and the target can't belive their luck and slip out while she is gone. so they escape to a safer house. And call their johnson for help.

Our Pc is now kicking himself realising that he's been fooled. (ho ho ho how i laughed). Starts to evac the area. Gets a call from his friend that wanted him on stand by. And is asked if she can help protect someone till one of there teams can get their, sure no problem he say's, then the penny drops.......

He gets to the new house and after 20 questions the Physad lets her in (disguise skill for ya). Now i discribe to the PC that if some is in side and discides to seal it, it's very difficult to get in without breaking something (ie the reinforced, barred metal door) a bit like the last place but only needing one person to be in.

So our Pc has a few options:
1, Sit and wait for the corp team to show up (30 mins) and gain a brownie point off his contact.
2, Shoot the target and the Physad and concoct a story.

Guess which our PC chose? option 2. She shot the Physad then the target. then shot herself and sat their hanging around for the corp team and his contact to show up.

For 3 months that PC was dead, then i buckled and let him hand of god it. Besides the restart of the rest of his characters life was ammusing...

And yes the he/she thing (Player is Male, character is Female)

Panzergeist
I can't understand that last post at all.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Panzergeist)
I can't understand that last post at all.

Short summary:
PC gets job to kill a target, makes a mistake
Gets job from new source to protect same target
Gets in room with target, shoots everyone (self included) and lies about how it happened to 2nd Johnson
Panzergeist
Ah, conflict of interests. Funny.
Accel

Me thinks, i can share a story gone really bad.

Our team was hired to retrieve a scientist who had been kidnapped years ago by our employers rival corp, and his research data. Our employer found out that he was attending a conference at the Cougar Mountain Ressort Hotel. Since there were a lot of top-notch scientists from nearly every AAA and AA interested in this field of expertise, the hotel's own security has been beefed up considerably.

Nevertheless, we were able to have a water elemental burst a pipe in the hotel, to "borrow" an fully equipped van from the plumber's company the hotel usually contracts with, and to have our (nsc) decker intercept the hotel's phone call.

So we infiltrated the hotel successfully, then disguised our mages as waiters and while the others repaired the damage the mages went to the suite or decker identified as the target's. The mages, using endoscopes, send the "bodyguards" dreaming, and met the scientist who was willing to return to his former employer under the condition we rescued his family as well. We transformed him into a toad and put him into a box previously masking-warded by the casting mage. The team assembled quickly and, having repaired the damage, left the compound.

Security detected the sleeping guards and the scientist's missing but we shook off the pursuit. Not risking anything we (except one of the mages who drove the van to leave a false trail) escaped the van through a hole in its floor into the sewers at an intersection. We had arranged that a chummer of the team met us a block ahead.

So we travelled the sewers to the meeting place, as we suddenly heard noise. It sounded like footsteps, but coming from all around us so we hurried. At a crossing of tunnels we saw them, a group of three coming from the left, another group of three coming from straight ahead and a last group of three caught up from behind.
Ghouls.

We, two infiltrators, my combat mage and the scientist who rarely left his lab where clearly outnumbered. Yet we were armed and armoured and since the groups ahead were relatively close to each other so I gave them a warning to back off. As they ignored me, still closing in, I threw a chain lightning at them (own creation, similar to ball lightning, yet different spread pattern.)

I failed miserably. Even karma did not change our luck. But it was not only me. Everyone (except the GM!) seemed to have crap on his hands or dice.

Result: Infiltrators dead. Scientist dead. Finally all ghouls dead. My mage on the run from a Johnson really pissed off. Scientist's family dead, since scientist was suspected of desertion.

And the merc who was waiting....., well, he still does.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Maxwell Silverhammer)
Heh, A runner team I was on Helped FastJack get into a facility, to get a data steel. Then we tried to doublecross him and steel the data for ourselves when we found out how valuable it was.... Never double cross a God level decker and fail.

We didn't get that data, and hadn't even made it to a bolt house before every Lone Star Officer, and corp Goon in seatle was looking for us for crimes ranging White collar Corporate embezzling to, operation of a kindergarten prostitution ring.. The caracters were quietly retired to a supermax detention facility for the next 500 years or so..

err i thought fastjack never did runs in person...
Kalibar
Well I'm new here, but I got a couple stories about some botched jobs...actually more pseudo-botches. It seems the one player I've GM'd for had a series of bad partners who screwed things up good, and left him with task of saving their ass and the run.

Here's one example:
Characters 1(C1): ork unarmed/speed Physad(I. Reflexes 3, Killing hands L) -from the Sioux Nation, a Wildcat washout who was to moral and good natured for special forces

Character 2(C2):A Cyberninja(Skillwires, 4 slot chipjack, Wired 2, smartlink-2, cybereyes) with amnesia and distinctive cyberware who thinks he's hunted by the UCAS CIA...Oh and a new toy the Ares Laser III

The characters were hired by an employee of Microdeck to retrieve Project Plans stolen from his office before anyone at the office new they had been stolen. The employee had downloaded a copy of the security footage before wiping it.

So the characters had the faces of the runners who took the goods, and had to track them down before they handed them off to their Mr. J.

After some legwork and greasing a few palms, the two discover the meet will take place outside the Tacoma Ferry in the early morning. They get there a few hours before the meet and set up a stakeout. Ork sees two armored vans parked 2 blocks down the street. Cyberninja notices someone on the roof across the street on Thermal, zooms in with vision mag-a sniper.

Ork-boy decides to sneak around the building and climb up a fire escape behind the sniper rolls stealth(6)-botches. He's greeted by the barrel of a Barrett right in front of his face his face. Mr. sniper tells him to lie on the ground and keep his hands on his head, and starts to radio to his buddies. Ork-boy decides not to listen and tries a leg sweep, feeling generous I let him roll reaction to surprise the sniper reaction(11)-high roll of 2, the sniper rolls a 13.

So sniper shoots him(no called shot), and luckily for the ork only got 1 success on 7 dice. Orc rolls body(7)-botches again...Orc is dying.

Sniper goes back to edge of roof and lines up on Cyberninja, Mr. Ninja notices and backflips over the bench he's sitting on(Dodges first bullet), second bullet misses. Ninja-boy fires at one of the vans called shot to the fuel tank-Serious damage, then turns and fires at the sniper(rolls three 10's, an 8 and a 5)-dead sniper. The other 6 members of the Johnson's Team start to get out of the vans, firing at the "Ninja." He ends up with a moderate wound, he fires another shot at each van's fuel tank(Rolls a 47, a 9, and a couple 6's)...kaboom. No more opposition.

The ninja runs to the building finds the ork with 6 boxes(out of cool.gif in the physical overflow, slots Biotech 5 and stabilizes him...then drags the ork out of there. Heads to his street doc. So although they did not get the goods they did wipe out the Johnson. They even caught up with the runners the next day. Which involved more bad rolls and bad decisions by the orc, and some good planning and legwork by the Ninja.
Luke Hardison
Ah, my team and their first campaign. I belive it was the third run, or at least the third night of the campaign.

They were hired by a ninja clan A to give backup numbers for some small hits on a competing clan whom we'll call B. (considered suicide, but they didn't know that). On the other side, unbeknownst to the rest of the team, the assassin that had been killed on the last run (by a team mate ... long story) was back in action al la GM magic (I didn't like him having to redo a character in the middle of mid-terms just because one of the other players acted like an ass). But, the assassin has amnesia and won't recognize the team ... in an attempt to get them back together, hoping the team would recognize the assassin, they were sent to the same place by different people.
An old chinese man that ran a natural foods shop in Chinatown had spotted some ninjas (clan B) on the rooftops a few nights ago. So clan A hires the runners, with whom they now have a pretty decent working relationship to use the man as a starting point to track down clan B's secret meeting place. Clan B hires the assassin to kill the shopowner; they know he saw them and don't want him talking. The assassin is better than I credited him and the team arrives as the assassin is already in the store, but positioning determines that they never wind up seeing each other. They start questioning as he watches (not recognizing any of his teammates), and the shop owner bolts out the back. As the bumbling group chases the shop owner, tripping over each other and trying to squeeze three elves and a troll out one little alley door, the assassin glides out the front and into the alley, catching the little man with one quick shot just as he manages to turn the corner away from the main group. The assassin then disappears into his truck while they're looking at the body. Ruined my whole plot hook, but that's how it goes wink.gif.

So later the group is meeting back at the burned out shop a few days later (they torched it as they left), and the troll is being a jerk. In a moment of humor, the cat shaman levitates him up to the roof. Never one to take a joke, the troll pulls his assault rifle out from under his coat and starts threatening them with it ... which of course means people screaming and running in the streets for panic buttons, and the Star on the way. He storms off and leaves the team there, but they ignore it as a small loss and go ahead and take off to check out the potential hiding place for Clan B that they have ferreted out.

Some very nice roleplaying takes place as the face and shaman discover a group of teenage ninja wannabees and sweet talk them into telling them a bit of what they've discovered about Clan B. That should have been it, and it was really ending smoothly despite the horrible, horrible start. But the troll decided that he was missing out of the fun, so he heads back to the building they were checking out, and I quote, "As fast as my truck will go."

"You know that will attract attention, right?"

But he doesn't care, so he winds up in a large car chase, since he won't pull over for the star and he's hauling down the streets of Seattle at max speed. There's helecopters, a roadblock ("What do you mean my runflat tires can still be hurt by spike strips?") Long story short, the shaman was listening to Lonestar radio traffic and knows what's going on, so she sends a city spirit to swoop down and carry him away after he crashes intentionally into one of the LS cars in the roadblock. He would have lived if he hadn't tried to reach for his pistol after LS dragged him out of the car, but it's amazing what 17 SMG's with gel rounds and held actions will do to a metahuman body. The spirit swoops in just after the rounds hit, carrying a quickly dying troll back to the shaman. Shaman tries to heal and fails (hard to head a deadly wound on a .01 essence troll), face tries first aid and fails, so on with the trauma patch, which finally manages to be successful.

Then the realization sets in. Two slightly built elves in the middle of the night in the rough part of china town. One incredibly heavy, cybered troll that just escaped death at the hands of LoneStar a few blocks away. Sirens getting closer and closer. So the face (played by my wife, bless her heart) gets a great idea.

Face: "I call Lonestar."
Hey, it's her first or second game.
Other players: "WHAT?!?!?!?"
But it's too late. By the time the team realizes what she's doing, she's on the line with the dispatcher. Rapidly realizing her error, she does a reasonably smart thing and wipes the cellphone clean while leaving it sitting on the troll's body, piled on the street corner.
Shaman casts Physical Mask and the two elf females become little old chinese men and scuttle away to the tube to make a fast getaway.

Turned out alright, minus the dead troll. But he was really asking for that one. Now, whenever anyone is about to do something stupid, one of the group members will chime in with, "Or ... we could just call Lonestar!"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012