Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: About time
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
golfmade
So glad I was able to find dumpshock. I've heard of SR for a while but none of my friends ever roleplayed.

Then I move, meet friends that do and now I'll finally be able to play. Finishing up my character and looking forward to playing, although seeing as how I have never played before I don't know if my character will survive or not, we'll see!
Draconis
Welcome! Just know when to duck and where the exit is at all times and you'll do fine. smile.gif
golfmade
QUOTE (Draconis)
Welcome! Just know when to duck and where the exit is at all times and you'll do fine. smile.gif

Thanks!

Aye, my character is a covert-ops/sniper dwarf, not sure exactly how the size will affect him but it should be easier to duck, although I did take the balance augmenter which I think I remember reading you have to roll to voluntarily fall down... ah well, I wanted something different.
wargear
Just remember to buy cheap rifles for sniper gigs, and pay the little bit extra to have them "cleaned" if you don't have the firearms B/R skill yourself.

Leave the gun at the site. Walk away slowly. Wear mid level civilian attire. The 'Star will most likely ignore you in favour of your more...memorable team mates.

Always wear gloves and a hair net.

Insist on being paid expenses.

Insist on an extra large paycheque for wet work.

Set a minimum price on a (meta)human life. Never kill for less than this.

For a tough gig, hire newbie shadowrunning teams as a distraction.

Never rely on the Johnson's intel. Develop your own sources. Check them.

Don't spend a month in planning. Two days of cautious legwork and a single day of planning is sufficient.

You only need three plans.
Plan A - will get you into and out of the target zone without attracting the attention of the opposing force.
Plan B - involves the use of overwhelming firepower and/or explosives to effect an extraction under fire.
Plan C - involves you "cleaning" anyone who was a witness to your involvement in a fubar run. Your reputation is all important.

smile.gif

Just a little wisdom shared from a long career as a merc player.
golfmade
QUOTE (wargear @ Aug 12 2007, 09:25 AM)
Just remember to buy cheap rifles for sniper gigs, and pay the little bit extra to have them "cleaned" if you don't have the firearms B/R skill yourself.

Leave the gun at the site. Walk away slowly. Wear mid level civilian attire. The 'Star will most likely ignore you in favour of your more...memorable team mates.

Always wear gloves and a hair net.

Insist on being paid expenses.

Insist on an extra large paycheque for wet work.

Set a minimum price on a (meta)human life. Never kill for less than this.

For a tough gig, hire newbie shadowrunning teams as a distraction.

Never rely on the Johnson's intel. Develop your own sources. Check them.

Don't spend a month in planning. Two days of cautious legwork and a single day of planning is sufficient.

You only need three plans.
Plan A - will get you into and out of the target zone without attracting the attention of the opposing force.
Plan B - involves the use of overwhelming firepower and/or explosives to effect an extraction under fire.
Plan C - involves you "cleaning" anyone who was a witness to your involvement in a fubar run. Your reputation is all important.

smile.gif

Just a little wisdom shared from a long career as a merc player.

First off thanks for the info.

Will be using SR3 so I'm starting off with the Ranger Arms SM-3, I've got quite a bit of cash left over after loading up on cyberware and such so I'll be sure to buy a few extra guns. Oh and no I don't have the firearms B/R so I'll make sure to get a contact that can do that for me.

As for clothing if I'm going on a run though wouldn't I want something that's more stealthy? I doubt I'll be sniping all the time, I'll need to sneak around and do the eyes/ears type thing as well I think.

Gloves might be a problem too, I've implanted a inducted datajack into my hand so that it would work with guns for the smartlink as well as say, a camera. If I'm wearing gloves that wouldn't work would it?

Didn't think of expenses, will make a note of that.

GM said there will be a bit of wet work so I'll make sure to talk to the face of the group about pay.

As for minimum price for a hit, where's a good starting point? I'm brand new to all this lol.

I was planning on starting with 4-5 level 1 contacts, just not sure what type to pick. Is it worth it to have a level 2 as well in the start?

Plan A - My quickness and reaction are quite high and with Stealth of 6 I'm hoping I can get around without being noticed much.

Plan B - I picked demolitions as well, can blow stuff up if need be biggrin.gif

Plan C - I'd rather not clean bystanding witnesses if it happens but you're right, my rep is one of the most important things I have.

Was watching Leon earlier tonight, with that and your and others advice I hope to be a proficient Shadowrunner in no time!
tisoz
QUOTE (golfmade)
As for clothing if I'm going on a run though wouldn't I want something that's more stealthy? I doubt I'll be sniping all the time, I'll need to sneak around and do the eyes/ears type thing as well I think.

At a minimum get camoflage clothing. Next step up is probably the Victory Rapid Transit Line that has programmable designs. It is in Cannon Companion (CC) p.50. The next step up is a stealth suit or cloak utilizing ruthenium polymers and imaging scanners which are found in Man & Machine (M&M) p.114. I almost always try to get some armor modifications (like chem seal and fire resistance) to my armor. Being sneaky, you should look into the thermal dampening option, found in CC. Remember, no level of armor mod can exceed the highest armor rating of the piece it is applied to. Example, Armor jacket 5/3, so can get a maximum rating 5 modification.

Gloves might be a problem too, I've implanted a inducted datajack into my hand so that it would work with guns for the smartlink as well as say, a camera.  If I'm wearing gloves that wouldn't work would it?

Make a hole.

As for minimum price for a hit, where's a good starting point?  I'm brand new to all this lol.

Bare minimum is cost of ammo. wink.gif Don't laugh, rockets and missiles get expensive. So does Barret ammo when you factor in SI and bribes to reduce Availability.

I was planning on starting with 4-5 level 1 contacts, just not sure what type to pick.  Is it worth it to have a level 2 as well in the start?

This really depends on the GM and how they view contacts. If I can afford it, I always get at least level 2s, they are not that much more expensive.

Plan A - My quickness and reaction are quite high and with Stealth of 6 I'm hoping I can get around without being noticed much.

But a dwarf only has a run modifier of 2. There is also that 15% extra charge to get all your equipment dwarf modified.
Kyoto Kid
...oh and...

...Never Never Never Ever cut a deal with a Dragon especially a Great Dragon.
Draconis
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...oh and...

Bah. Specist. Nothing wrong dealing, working for, dating dragons. nyahnyah.gif
golfmade
QUOTE (tisoz)
At a minimum get camoflage clothing. Next step up is probably the Victory Rapid Transit Line that has programmable designs. It is in Cannon Companion (CC) p.50. The next step up is a stealth suit or cloak utilizing ruthenium polymers and imaging scanners which are found in Man & Machine (M&M) p.114. I almost always try to get some armor modifications (like chem seal and fire resistance) to my armor. Being sneaky, you should look into the thermal dampening option, found in CC. Remember, no level of armor mod can exceed the highest armor rating of the piece it is applied to. Example, Armor jacket 5/3, so can get a maximum rating 5 modification.

Make a hole.

Bare minimum is cost of ammo. wink.gif Don't laugh, rockets and missiles get expensive. So does Barret ammo when you factor in SI and bribes to reduce Availability.

This really depends on the GM and how they view contacts. If I can afford it, I always get at least level 2s, they are not that much more expensive.

But a dwarf only has a run modifier of 2. There is also that 15% extra charge to get all your equipment dwarf modified.

GM isn't allowing us to use Canon Companion at start, but I'll look into the things from Man and Machine and if all else fails just get urban camo.

Didn't think of that, will get it tailor made to fit perfectly with a hole biggrin.gif

Thanks, will factor in price of stuff.

Will ask my GM if we're allowed level 2's at the start, would be nice to have at least 1 or 2, especially because I've got cash left over.

Didn't think of the run modifier but meh, I still like this character, not gonna change it just because my legs are shorter and don't run at 3. Also GM isn't going to charge the fee to refit things to dwarf size.

ALso, should I go with caseless ammo for my guns? Last thing I want is to clean a target and then have to dig around to make sure I pick up the casing and not leave it behind.
Kagetenshi
There's no canon disadvantage to going with caseless ammo, go for it. As for the others, if you aren't allowed level 2s, that's... well, a weird and silly restriction. As for the GM-not-charging-fee, it's good for you but makes Dwarves even more powerful for the points you get--it's a bad decision, but I'm not expecting you to argue against it wink.gif

~J
golfmade
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
There's no canon disadvantage to going with caseless ammo, go for it. As for the others, if you aren't allowed level 2s, that's... well, a weird and silly restriction. As for the GM-not-charging-fee, it's good for you but makes Dwarves even more powerful for the points you get--it's a bad decision, but I'm not expecting you to argue against it wink.gif

~J

I've always loved the idea of caseless ammo, especially loved it in the Fallout games.

As for the GM well I'm not sure because I don't know him too well but he let have and do some things during character creation that afterwards I was thinking my character maybe is a bit too powerful but then further thought, well if he allowed it it must mean the games themselves are gonna be far from easy... we'll see!
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Draconis @ Aug 12 2007, 08:25 PM)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Aug 12 2007, 11:57 PM)
...oh and...

Bah. Specist. Nothing wrong dealing, working for, dating dragons. nyahnyah.gif

...just ask

...Tomoe Sasaki,
...Leela Groznek
...Lana Lane
...Randi Rhodes

...about that. indifferent.gif
wargear
QUOTE (tisoz)

Urban Cams make you stick out like a sore thumb in anything but a military operation. For your purposes, "urban cams" should be defined as clothing that will let you blend into the urban scene...ie normal clothes for the social class of the area you are operating in. A business suit and haircut will conceal you better in downtown than any level of ruthenium technology.

Buy gloves and cut the palm out. or buy gloves from Weapons World that have conductive palm patches to accomodate Smartlink technology. Of course that may require you to purchase a permit and register your smartlink.

Alternately, buy them from your fixer.
SuperFly
Personally, I've always had much hate for rheuthenium polymers. I disallow this garbage on principle.
Kyoto Kid
...never could understand how someone could totally blend in. Either your face is still hanging out in full view or you can't see. Also any weapons you may be holding would also be visible (unless they were made of of Ruthenium Polymers and tied into the same image scanner as your chameleon suit).

[watchman 1 at the Newcastle brewery] ...oy Chauncey.. lookie over there. Damn peculiar, but isn't that a Sten floating in midair over by that stack of pressurised firkins?

[watchman 2] "...blimey, Reg, so it is. Must be a bugger in one of them chameleon suits. I've 'eard about.

[Watchman 1]...right, on my call you hit 'im with the Neurostun & I'll jolt 'im wi me taser."

Fire Hawk
A gun does not necessarily require ruthenium furniture to be easily concealed.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Fire Hawk)
A gun does not necessarily require ruthenium furniture to be easily concealed.

...when you are holding it out to use it does.
DrPeteCastle
Woah woah woah, golfmade you said ur friends before you moved didnt roleplay, and u moved and found people who play shadowrun!! Im in a similiar situation..never roleplayed before, liked the shadowrun universe, painfully (barely) learned how to play with 4th edition corebook and have no people to play it with!!! (to inexperienced to gamemaster my own group of newbies) but with no happy ending, though im going off to a college in a few days but finding people who play shadowrun seems like a needle in a haystack. How did you found such luck?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...never could understand how someone could totally blend in. Either your face is still hanging out in full view or you can't see.

Eyes are pretty small in the grand scheme of things, and the invention of the "camera" allows us to make it even harder to see something that can still see you.

~J
DrPeteCastle
any suggestions golfmade???
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Aug 18 2007, 01:24 AM)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Aug 17 2007, 03:20 PM)
...never could understand how someone could totally blend in. Either your face is still hanging out in full view or you can't see.

Eyes are pretty small in the grand scheme of things, and the invention of the "camera" allows us to make it even harder to see something that can still see you.

~J

...that's why you always carry your handy dandy pocket size directional jammer.
Kagetenshi
How does a jammer help?

~J
Kyoto Kid
...if his cameras are wireless.
Kagetenshi
Which would be a bit silly, since he's presumably wearing them anyway. Plus, the whole "directional" issue—you'd have to locate him before you could jam his cameras, which sorta defeats the purpose.

~J
golfmade
QUOTE (SuperFly)
Personally, I've always had much hate for rheuthenium polymers. I disallow this garbage on principle.

Right, after reading up about it I A) Doubt my GM would allow it right off the bat anyways and B) Even with picking money as priority A I've spent so much on gear/cyber/etc that I don't have much left over.
golfmade
QUOTE (DrPeteCastle)
Woah woah woah, golfmade you said ur friends before you moved didnt roleplay, and u moved and found people who play shadowrun!! Im in a similiar situation..never roleplayed before, liked the shadowrun universe, painfully (barely) learned how to play with 4th edition corebook and have no people to play it with!!! (to inexperienced to gamemaster my own group of newbies) but with no happy ending, though im going off to a college in a few days but finding people who play shadowrun seems like a needle in a haystack. How did you found such luck?

Ok well this is how I came into the situation I'm in, granted a lot of it is luck but here goes:

I'm originally from Idaho, for many years I wanted to roleplay and/or play tabletop games like 40k and such. Well, none of my friends did that so I never really pursued it.

Then last year I moved to Taiwan (long story). I live in Kaohsiung which is in the south of Taiwan, a LOT less expats here than up in Taipei (which is fine by me, I can't stand Taipei).

Now I do speak Mandarin and study it here, so over time I've made Taiwanese friends and of course with my wife being Taiwanese that helps, but at the same time I still wanted to try to find other expats with similar interests to hang out with and hopefully become friends with.

Then one day I'm browsing through an English based magazine about southern Taiwan, in it I see an article about a new gaming store that has opened up, including the phone number for an expat who helps people with one of the games.

I head on it, meet him and a bunch of other expats, get into that tabletop game (Warmachine) and voila, I was introduced to a lot of other expats who all tabletop game.

Consequently many of them also roleplay, I had told one of my good friends that I'd always wanted to roleplay, but our schedules didn't really match up for what he wanted to do. But one of his good friends wanted to restart up SR, asked if I was down and obviously said yeah, and here I am!

So all in all biggest advice I would give you is try to find a gaming store where people that are into this kind of thing hang out. Especially if you're new to a town/country, it's a great way to meet people.

Oh and good luck with college!
wargear
Doc Pete, college is often a bastion of Roleplaying culture. I would recommend checking out the campus guides for a registered club. If one does not exist, post messages to the local notice boards advertising your intention to form a gaming club. Easy.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Which would be a bit silly, since he's presumably wearing them anyway. Plus, the whole "directional" issue—you'd have to locate him before you could jam his cameras, which sorta defeats the purpose.

~J

...OK I'll give you that (thinking in SR4 terms anyway as I have was on that form for a while). Still, there are other ways of locating him like Thermo, Ultrasound, (which can easily be installed as part of the site's security system package) and of course Astral perception. Makes that expensive high teckky suit sort of worthless.

Where I see ruthenium polymers more useful is on vehicles for changing colour and marking schemes. Good example is an NPC of mine who has a large cargo jet. She can choose between several airline, military, and standard camo schemes. The plane could never totally blend into a background due to openings such as the engine intakes/exhaust nozzles and landing gear (if on the ground). However by looking as thought it "fits in" (she also has a transponder capable of squawking various ID codes) it would be like grooming oneself to look like the wageslave or technician to infiltrate a corp. facility.
wargear
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
Where I see ruthenium polymers more useful is on vehicles for changing colour and marking schemes. Good example is an NPC of mine who has a large cargo jet. She can choose between several airline, military, and standard camo schemes. The plane could never totally blend into a background due to openings such as the engine intakes/exhaust nozzles and landing gear (if on the ground). However by looking as thought it "fits in" (she also has a transponder capable of squawking various ID codes) it would be like grooming oneself to look like the wageslave or technician to infiltrate a corp. facility.

Likewise, having your Ford Americar set up with a number of commonly used colours and morphing license plates means all you need to do is escape the oppositions' line of sight for a few moments to lose yourself in the traffic.
Kyoto Kid
...the key is though don't get into scrapes or have it shot up otherwise the polymer will lose it's imaging integrity & you could end up with a pretty funny looking vehicle. grinbig.gif
wargear
lol...that ones easy to fix. make sure at least one of your colour schemes is a riot of clolours and offensive graffiti, and make sure you keep a flourescent mohawk wig in your glovebox. If your car gets shot up, turn on the punk look and put on the wig...sure you'll attract notice, but you won't look like who you were and noone will pay any attention to the details.
Lindt
I love me some PUNK in my cyberpunk.
Kyoto Kid
...somehow I have difficulty picturing picturing this lady in a neon Mohawk...

hurricane Hannah

She just keeps a a dozen or so cans of Krylon in assorted colours in the back bed, a lot cheaper than Ruthenium. Heck her truck is already a beater so a few bullet holes may actually improve its looks.

Kagetenshi
She'll need to dress a bit differently, but a neon mohawk would work well.

~J
Kyoto Kid
...nah, leather, fishnets, and piercings ain't her style. She's more the Levis and flannel shirt type.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (golfmade)

I'm originally from Idaho

Idaho? No, you da ho!
golfmade
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
QUOTE (golfmade @ Aug 19 2007, 03:08 AM)

I'm originally from Idaho

Idaho? No, you da ho!

upsidedown.gif

Never heard that one before.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012