Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: D&D 4th Edition, or something else?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Pages: 1, 2
Nikoli
Yeah, this will kill my group buying WotC products.

Sure, it's a business, but damn, this just isn't necessary from a game standpoint.
Kyoto Kid
...well, could always mean there may be a good market in used 3 - 3.5 stuff soon.

Been doing pretty well filling in my library of SRIII material since 4th ed came out.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Yeah, this will kill my group buying WotC products.

Sure, it's a business, but damn, this just isn't necessary from a game standpoint.

Are you kidding?

Have you seen the rules bloat in 3.0/3.5? The contradicting, confusing text? I've seen game sessions end up being half rules arguements instead of actually playing.

Hell, the D&D FAQ, which is purely a document clarifying and explaining the rules, has grown larger than some of the sourcebooks.

D&D is prime for a rules update right now.

4.0 isn't going to fix that. the rules will start bloating again, probably with the first or second splatbook.
Ol' Scratch
From what I could gather from the site, they're not really interested in fixing rules bloating or anything of the sort. It's more of a delivery platform to celebrate some online tools they're trying to push, with a few minor upgrades to the system to actually facilitate even more rules bloat (like weapons having different and individual charactertics in combat).
TheMadDutchman
I'm just sick to death of classes and levels. I don't really ever want to run another level based game again.

I love fantasy games- treasure, castles, dragons, it's all good. But when level comes into play- it just kills it for me.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
From what I could gather from the site, they're not really interested in fixing rules bloating or anything of the sort. It's more of a delivery platform to celebrate some online tools they're trying to push, with a few minor upgrades to the system to actually facilitate even more rules bloat (like weapons having different and individual charactertics in combat)

...by that last statement, sounds like they got a couple of the old FGU guys working for them. Remember Chivalry & Sorcery- the fantasy game that makes the current Shadowrun chargen look like old AD&D (before Second Ed)?

QUOTE (TheMadDutchman)
I'm just sick to death of classes and levels. I don't really ever want to run another level based game again.

I love fantasy games- treasure, castles, dragons, it's all good. But when level comes into play- it just kills it for me.

...there is always Hero System's Fantasy Hero
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (TheMadDutchman)

Take a level in Classic Roleplayer and you'll be ok with it again.

~J
TheMadDutchman
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)

...there is always Hero System's Fantasy Hero

Actually I'm currently sticking more to rules that were home brewed for freshness when it comes to fantasy games.

I've got a friend who cooked a up a great set of rules. Interestingly they're based on D20 but w/out levels or classes.
Kyoto Kid
...come to think of it, didn't Runequest dispense with character levels as well? I vaguely remember rolling against skills used in an adventure to improve them instead of having blanket levels to increase your abilities. I know Call of Cthulu (not the D20 version) uses the same mechanic.

I think DragonQuest also used a similar system that allowed your character to go for training to increase your skills between adventures.

Man that was a more than a quarter century since I last played either RQ or DQ. Yikes! Has it been that long?
kzt
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...come to think of it, didn't Runequest dispense with character levels as well? I vaguely remember rolling against skills used in an adventure to improve them instead of having blanket levels to increase your abilities. I know Call of Cthulu (not the D20 version) uses the same mechanic.

Yes, they did. CoC used a simplified version of the RQ mechanics. When I discovered RQ I began to think about RPGs in a different way and to hate the concept of character classes and levels.
Kyoto Kid
...yeah I really miss RQ, though I occasionally have the opportunity to play CoC now & then.

...but just like the biz of Computer OS & software, it seems the inferior product gets the biggest slice of the market pie over the better one.
Kagetenshi
Many of D&D's more controversial features (levels, classes, arguably even alignment) make more sense if you reclassify the game as a tactical wargame. This is before the "role-playing" perversions, of course.

~J
eidolon
QUOTE (mfb)
4.0 isn't going to fix that. the rules will start bloating again, probably with the first or second splatbook.

QFT.

Actually, strangely enough, my entire reaction to 4e is pretty much: *shrug* "Where did I put my new copy of Savage Worlds?"
Ophis
Having thought long and hard about what disease 4th ed will cause i have realised that the disease will be quick, and efficent (or streamlined in designer speak). So I suspect 4th edtion D&D will cause Ebola.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (eidolon)
QUOTE (mfb @ Aug 20 2007, 10:41 AM)

QFT.

Actually, strangely enough, my entire reaction to 4e is pretty much: *shrug* "Where did I put my new copy of Savage Worlds?"

...funny coincidence, I was sitting at the coffee shop today and there were two fellows at the table next to me with the Savage Worlds - Revised book.

@Ophis, I would think the disease would be more like spontaneous cranial arterial embolism followed by massive cerebral hemorrhaging after one's blood pressure went ballistic when they just learned the thousand+ $ in rules and sourcebooks they acquired over the last few years are now worthless. grinbig.gif
Cthulhudreams
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
QUOTE (eidolon)
QUOTE (mfb @ Aug 20 2007, 10:41 AM)

QFT.

...funny coincidence, I was sitting at the coffee shop today and there were two fellows at the table next to me with the Savage Worlds - Revised book.

@Ophis, I would think the disease would be more like spontaneous cranial arterial embolism followed by massive cerebral hemorrhaging after one's blood pressure went ballistic when they just learned the thousand+ $ in rules and sourcebooks they acquired over the last few years are now worthless. grinbig.gif

The savage world rules are pretty weird.

I love weird probability action going on. If you have a d6 in shooting and I have a d4 in shooting.. and we are having a pistol duel I want us to take *ten* paces each not five so my chance of hitting is now 20% and yours is 16%!

/me has just started playing a game of deadlands.
Fortune
Deadlands rocks! The original Pinnacle game is still my second favorite game of all time. smile.gif
eidolon
Deadlands is cool. I haven't played the SW version of it yet, but I know a few people that have played both and prefer the original.

KK, pick up the Explorer's Edition. $10, full rules, packed with awesome.
Kyoto Kid
...pretty cool. have to check My FLGS this weekend.

Love Deadlands, just wish more people where I lived played it. A game right up my namesake's alley.
NightmareX
Ebola - perfect! I love it! The mere announcement of 4th edition D&D has certainly killed any desire to continue buying WotC stuff in our group, especially considering that the two main GMs (myself included) are rather heavily invested in 3.5 (and Eberron in my case). Talk about alienating the fanbase ohplease.gif
NightmareX
QUOTE (Hammer Of Tyr)
My GM just got ack from GenCon and described the atmosphere as "prison camp" like and that he was being "Force fed" 4e. The only ones excited with it were WoTC employees, and the other publishers that he spoke to (That he used to work for) don't think 4E is a good Idea. The game will run more like World of Warcrap and the "subscription" Idea is Wotc just absorbing WoW's business model.

Found this on the WotC boards. Given that WotC has flat out admitted to lying to their fanbase, I believe it.
Kyoto Kid
...almost makes 'ol Mr Gygax & TSR not seem all that bad anymore...
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)

Hey, man, Gygax is cool. He's the Chuck Norris of RPGs. When you roll on the tables for random tavern encounters in your 1st edition D&D game and the result of the dice roll is that the level 1 torch bearer hireling is in fact a sociopath because that possibility is indeed on the table, it's everything you can do as the GM to bite your lip and not scream "CHUCK NORRIS!" at the top of your lungs.
BishopMcQ
QUOTE (NightmareX)
QUOTE (Hammer Of Tyr)
My GM just got ack from GenCon and described the atmosphere as "prison camp" like and that he was being "Force fed" 4e. The only ones excited with it were WoTC employees, and the other publishers that he spoke to (That he used to work for) don't think 4E is a good Idea. The game will run more like World of Warcrap and the "subscription" Idea is Wotc just absorbing WoW's business model.

Found this on the WotC boards. Given that WotC has flat out admitted to lying to their fanbase, I believe it.

Having been at GenCon, I don't recall any prison camp vibes. When I wasn't running games, I spent a lot of time in the dealer hall and walked through the WotC booth. They made the pronouncement that 4th Ed was coming, but given that they weren't answering many questions, I can't see how it would be described as force fed.

It was rather the opposite, I had to pry out teeth just to get admission on whether or not a D20 would still be rolled.
eidolon
I believe the prison camp reference was only in relation to the 4e announcement (and the area in which it was made). I could be wrong.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)

Hey, man, Gygax is cool. He's the Chuck Norris of RPGs.

[thread tanget]Gives WR 1,250 Exp so he can reach 2nd level thief and kill the torch bearer.

Gygaz rules.[/thread tanget]
Trigger
yeah, I just heard last night from a friend of mine, whose friend in Boston is one of the artists for something that has to do with 4th Edition. He said that is has something to do with a sort of MMO kind of game and gameplay, but also that R.A. Salvatore is one of the writer's for it.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Aug 28 2007, 04:58 PM)

Hey, man, Gygax is cool. He's the Chuck Norris of RPGs. When you roll on the tables for random tavern encounters in your 1st edition D&D game and the result of the dice roll is that the level 1 torch bearer hireling is in fact a sociopath because that possibility is indeed on the table, it's everything you can do as the GM to bite your lip and not scream "CHUCK NORRIS!" at the top of your lungs.

...I actually miss those old NPC encounter tables grinbig.gif
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Trigger)
but also that R.A. Salvatore is one of the writer's for it.

Damn it. And I liked him. Now I have to throw those books away. biggrin.gif
hyzmarca
Perhaps they'll just reissue 1e, exactly the same as it was, including the classic blue cover, and just call it 4e. That would be awesome.
Zhan Shi
bleh. This is partly why I stopped playing "that other game"; they release a set of rulebooks, a year later "version x.5", a year after that "version x.x", etc. You're shelling out megabucks for ever more versions of core rules. But what do I know? They're still #1 in sales and popularity, so they must be doing something right.
azrael_ven
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
QUOTE (Trigger @ Aug 28 2007, 06:53 PM)
but also that R.A. Salvatore is one of the writer's for it.

Damn it. And I liked him. Now I have to throw those books away. biggrin.gif

It happens to the best of us. I knew something was up when Salvatore joined with McFarlane and Schilling. Filthy Lucre, Filthy Lucre, Filthy Lucre!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012