Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: D&D 4th Edition, or something else?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Pages: 1, 2
JongWK
Hmm...
Fortune
Strange
Meriss
How very, very, odd. Anybody know the release dates on 3.5?

Edit: Rpg.net semi confirmation. 4th ed D&D. You know they're just doing cause that's waht all the cool kids are doing. grinbig.gif
Galedeep
Oh, good lord. They're about to piss off a lot of people.

*shrug*

Oh well.
fistandantilus4.0
Meriss - I think somewhere around 2000. I know I lived in San Jose at the time, and I moved from there in '02. Not the most technical means I'm sure, but that's what I recall. 'course I could try out my google-fu. But I just don't care enough.

Anyawy, as I recall, isn't 5-7 years kid of standard for an edition? 3,5 was kind of a fluke there.
Ol' Scratch
No, that's not standard at all in a genre where there are no standards. If it were, D&D should be at something ridiculous like the 8th Edition or something, for instance, and Shadowrun wouldn't be far behind.

I'm rather indifferent about the topic as I haven't played or even thought about playing D&D since, well, not long after 3rd Edition came out. Will be interesting to see what they consider a new edition, though, and to listen to them explain why it was needed considering the whole d20 System license bit.
fistandantilus4.0
and to listen to them explain why it was needed considering the whole d20 System license bit.
biggrin.gif yeah that should be good!
Fuchs
We still play 3E in our group. I'd say "I'll stick to it"; but I was sceptical when I heard of 3E, and I switched as soon as I read the PHB.
Grinder
EnWorld

Well, I don't care much for a 4th edition - I have all 3.5 books I need to run my Iron Kingdoms campaign. smile.gif
Ophis
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
No, that's not standard at all in a genre where there are no standards. If it were, D&D should be at something ridiculous like the 8th Edition or something, for instance, and Shadowrun wouldn't be far behind.

I'm rather indifferent about the topic as I haven't played or even thought about playing D&D since, well, not long after 3rd Edition came out. Will be interesting to see what they consider a new edition, though, and to listen to them explain why it was needed considering the whole d20 System license bit.

Nah D&D would be be some 6-7th ed (original '74 33 years ago)

Shadowrun would be on 4th ('89 so 18 years)

Given the D&D/Ad&D thing those numbers seem right (as D&D had 4 editions (maybe 5) and AD&D is on 3.5 so far)
KarmaInferno
There was a brief period yesterday where an admin board was left wide open for public viewing. It contained a full 4th Edition message board with a dozen or so starter topics for discussion.

It looked like they were prepping and getting the board ready, and forgot to lock it. It got shut down right when I was starting to post links.

Supposedly at GenCon this morning they made an official announcement.

Yeah.... forgot to lock it.... sure. biggrin.gif
Zolhex
Not that I have any real source of info to provide other than rumor but..... It was like a month age I heard that 4th was coming out soon. Also the rumor is they are going to stop the open game licence stuff as well.

As has been stated Gencon is the time to make official announcements so I guess we'll see.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Galedeep)
Oh, good lord. They're about to piss off a lot of people.

*shrug*

Oh well.

...damn straight. Personally I'm just disappointed, I like 3.5 the way it is but I don't play it all that often to warrant buying more than just the three core books, a couple of Forgotten Realms source books and Oriental Adventures.

However, got a couple of friends with pretty hefty investments in 3.5, and a lot of those books aren't cheap.

...I think I can hear them screaming and cursing now.
Kagetenshi
With luck, it's a rebranded original D&D, so we can get rid of this ridiculous "class/race separation".

~J
farrenj
I hope for something that looks similar to the new Star Wars rules.
Ophis
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
With luck, it's a rebranded original D&D, so we can get rid of this ridiculous "class/race separation".

~J

Ah the heady days when Halfling was a class... with nothing going for it at all...

*Sits down and gets nostalgic about Red box D&D*
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (farrenj)

Or the old ones. cool.gif
Meriss
Less than 2 hours to go! Someone at Gen con sneak into the announcement hall!
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (farrenj)

I dunno, the new SAGA edition has parts that feel awful sloppy to me.

I'll give an example. Under Creating Droid Heros, it tells you in the rules text that you get one form of movement for free, and that adding more forms costs an increasing extra price in credits.

Over on a chart there is another set of cost formulas for movement systems, different from the one in the text.

The rules text makes no mention of the formulas in the chart. None at all.

I can tell what they probably INTEND, that the formulas in the chart are the actual base price of each movement system, and the increasing price for extra movement systems beyond the first is tacked on top of that, but nowhere is this actually spelled out.

That's just sloppy.

The whole book has stuff like this, scattered about.

From what I understand, the guys who developed the SAGA edition were freelancers hired by WotC rather than their in-house staff, but it really could have stood to gone a few more rounds of playtesting and rules-proofing.

While I will agree that there is some sloppiness and rules oversights, the class development is what I really like. I think it is a vast improvement over classes as DnD currently has them.
fistandantilus4.0
Agreed. The idea that you can be a 17th level ranger, and it can take you ages to learn the first thing (1st level) about being a fighter just makes no sense.

fistandantilus4.0
And here we are at the appointed time. I log in, and the screen saaaayyysss....

"Service Unavailable"

rotfl.gif
Ophis
I never minded that, Fighter 1 isn't to bad a level...
More seriously as you get more skilled in one thing it becomes harder to learn new tricks.
farrenj
Aaaaaaannnnd

the timer finishes and wizards.com goes down.
Ophis
No I have something...
Ophis
Not completely working...
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Ophis)

More seriously as you get more skilled in one thing it becomes harder to learn new tricks.

That was the point I was trying to make, yes.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (farrenj)
Aaaaaaannnnd

the timer finishes and wizards.com goes down.

...and I wonder why.... sarcastic.gif
Ophis
Evil pixies are part of the answer the rest is in SoLA...
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Ophis)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Aug 16 2007, 08:40 PM)

~J

Ah the heady days when Halfling was a class... with nothing going for it at all...

*Sits down and gets nostalgic about Red box D&D*

The direct-tolkien-ripoff bonuses to hide were awesome because of how derivative they were. Hell, man, I really want to play 1st edition D&D again, but with a Bruce Lee Impersonator character class!
Ophis
The Mystic from the masters set (black box) like AD&Ds monk with more WAAAAAAH!!!! (or other bruce lee noise) 16th level, on shot everything...
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Ophis)
The Mystic from the masters set (black box) like AD&Ds monk with more WAAAAAAH!!!! (or other bruce lee noise) 16th level, on shot everything...

I used to have the Rules Cyclopedia. I remember the Mystics. The picture for their class in the beginning of the book was ridiculous, too, featuring a woman in a formal Japanese-style kimono with a butterfly in her hair. Then she was doing the Shaolin hand-over-fist salute thing.

Damn, man, 1st edition was really all we needed!
fistandantilus4.0
12:30 AM: Update

QUOTE (http://announcement.wizards.com/)
Unfortunately, due to an extremely high load on our web servers, we have been unable to bring you our normal web content. We apologize for the inconvenience and ask that you please try again in a few hours! Our technical team is aware of the problem and working on it.
Thank you for your patience!

still rotfl.gif
Ol' Scratch
It was a shocking development. I mean, they tease, build up suspense, then... act surprised when the server crashes?
Ophis
Well even at about 5 in the morning EST (I think) it's still dead teehee.
Kalvan
Personally, I still think it's too soon for D&D Fourth Edition, by at least two years. The balance problems haven't gotten big enough, the mechanics still provide enough of a balance between quickness and simulation, and there are several area and organizational supplements they could put out before Fourth Edition (particularly for their campaign settigns) that they haven't yet.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Kagetenshi
But it is broke, and deeply so.

~J
Moon-Hawk
Balance? Broken?
Look, they came out with the Complete Arcane, and then they came out with the Complete Wizard, as well as multiple books with alternate magic systems in them. If they want to keep selling rule books they either need to release the Really Really Complete Magicky Stuff This Time For Sure or they need a new edition.
It's about money. Most gaming companies struggle to maintain that healthy balance between income and love of the game. WotC has no such struggle.
Ophis
I wonder if the new edition will still cause cancer...
Moon-Hawk
We might need to come up with a new hilarious affliction.
fistandantilus4.0
jaundice. it'll turn your skin the same color as that horrible page was.

You know, before it turned to a white screen that said "Service Unavaialbe". 'Cause I think that would be E.D., nobody wants that.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
jaundice. it'll turn your skin the same color as that horrible page was.

You know, before it turned to a white screen that said "Service Unavaialbe". 'Cause I think that would be E.D., nobody wants that.

You bastard. You hilarious bastard.
Here I am, at my desk, browsing Dumpshock. My boss calls me on the phone, with nothing important to say, but damn, he sure does take the time to say it. So I'm clicking idly away, waiting for him to summarize his long, rambling nothing regarding unrequested details of a project completely unrelated to mine, and I wandered back in to this thread.
rotfl.gif
I'm lucky, he just thought his dumb story was really funny. wink.gif
Zolhex
The link works now
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Ophis)
Well even at about 5 in the morning EST (I think) it's still dead teehee.

...should have used a preserve spell... grinbig.gif

..wait, maybe that won't be available in 4th ed.

QUOTE (Ophis)
Evil pixies are part of the answer the rest is in SoLA...

..LMAO
Kalvan
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Balance? Broken?
Look, they came out with the Complete Arcane, and then they came out with the Complete Wizard, as well as multiple books with alternate magic systems in them. If they want to keep selling rule books they either need to release the Really Really Complete Magicky Stuff This Time For Sure or they need a new edition.

They also came out with Complete Warrior and Heroes of Battle for big burly warrior types (not to mention Tome of Battle), Complete Adventurer, Complete Scoundrel, and Dungeonscape for skill monkeys and backstabbers, and Complete Divine and Complete Champion for religious types.

I personally don't think that secular spellcasters have been getting all or even a disporportionate share of the love.

I just think that it's just about a year or so too soon.

But, of course as always, YMMV.
Fortune
QUOTE (Kalvan)
I just think that it's just about a year or so too soon.

Well, since it won't actually be out till next year, you can both be right. biggrin.gif
Moon-Hawk
Truely, you leave me speechless.
Was my point really that badly expressed?
Yes, there are books for fighters, and divine, and everything else. There are already several books for everything. That's the point. If they want to print more books, they need a new edition, 'cause they've already made them all for 3rd edition, several times.
fistandantilus4.0
You bastard. You hilarious bastard.

much love
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
It's about money. Most gaming companies struggle to maintain that healthy balance between income and love of the game. WotC has no such struggle.

Which is exactly why I don't play D&D any more, or knowingly purchase any WotC products.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012