Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Kratas Shuffle
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Grinder
Link to OOC- thread

Kratas is, without a doubt, not the most beautiful city of Barsaive. The ruins everywhere, the dust, the dirt and the ruthlessnes of the average inhabitant make it hard to enjoy a longer stay in the city, but when it's raining it gets worse. And it's raining, heavily in fact. Rainy days like this one aren't the norm, thankfully, but trap you in your house nonetheless.

You're sitting in the house's main room, that is next to the kitchen and equipped with comfortable furniture, a chimney and several light quarzes.

What are you doing?
Ophis
Seraph sits cross legged in a corner, her attention totally of the piece of linen she is stitching on, she quietly sings a song to her self as she sews.

We stood against the horror tide,
We shut our fear deep down inside,
With swords, and spells and claws,
We faced our foes and held the line.

She doesn't ever seem to reach the end of a song, switching between different tunes seemingly randomly.

fistandantilus4.0
In the end, it comes down to just me. They can't be there. I can't depend on them to fight my battles. What is life but a constant struggle for survival? Would I have others live my life then? That is not the way. Struggles must be overcome by the self, within first, then without. To do otherwise would be to leave my self emty, just a shell. I can depend on no one but my self.

Slowly, Vas opened his eyes, looking around the small room, and out the window to the gloom outside. The rain may be ouring, but it made for good cover for certain types of work. It offered it's own challenges yes, but what didn't? If nothing else, at least there was no dought. The crops wouldn't dry out and dry. Might drown though.

Feeling a bit more cheerful and self assured after his karma ritual, Vas stands slowly and stretches.

Seraph what're you making over there? Doesn't look like much for selling. Keepsake? We need to find us some dishonest crime.

He smiles and laughs, only trying to rib a bit, not upset her.

I mean come on! We didn't come to Kratas to do needle work!

Vas smiles, trying to get some conversation out of her.

Ophis
Very deliberately Seraph sticks her tongue out at Vas.

I was making a pretty bag for you to put over your head, my sweet. That way you won't scare the trolls with your face

Seraph, slips the needle through her work carefully securing it in place, then she unceremoniously stuffs it into a pouch. She stands gracefully, and wanders over to a window. She watches the hit the glass and the ground.

Plip plop, drip drop. Korian? Do you think Stripey will be okay? He can swim can't he?

It would appear that Seraph is in one of her more childlike moods...
fistandantilus4.0
Vas watches her for a moment, hands on his hips. Well it's clear that someone is vacationing somewhere else in side her head.

She'd better not be horror marked.

Serisouly, how long can we stay in here? We're going ... I might go nuts if we stay in here much longer.

There's all sorts of new and exciting ventures and crimes out there, just waiting to be started by some enterprising soul!
Metatron
Stripey? You know full well his name is Ragnar.

Korian moved away from the window and the Hawk, to his pack. He retrieved some wrapped meat from it, and threw it over to the two crojen who were just starting to stir. He also started his way up the stairs with some more meat for the stone lion.

I just wish the rain would stop so I can let Thunder get some exercise. If you want to go and find some dishonest crime Vas, don't let me stop you
Korian says with a hint of a smile on his lips, continuing up the stairs.
fistandantilus4.0
Shrugging, Vas goes for his cloak, sword already on his side.

Keep the firing going will you?

With that he heads out the door, cloak up, but back enough to allow peripheral vision. He takes very little coin with him, just to be on the safe side.

Better than smelling wet cat all day. How a beastmaster can be such a home body I'll never know.

He walks out in to the rain, looking left and right, then heads off down the street, towards the east.
Ophis
Seraph watches Vas leave out the window.

He better not get in trouble. Well not to much trouble. You heard any rumours about Mum and Dad? I was talking to someone last night. He heard a story about a ship that could be their's taking out a Theran Kila of the coast north of Marac. But it was about six months ago.

She sits down, in a chair this time. Pulls out her stitching and starts working again.
Metatron
I've heard the same as you, you know that. Vas'll be fine, the worst that'll happen is he'll come in a little roughed up and very wet.
Ophis
Or he'll come running and we'll need to pull his arse out of trouble. Again. How come you never get in trouble? It's always me or Vas, your just the sensible, like mum always claimed she...

Seraph trails off, tears welling in her eyes.
Metatron
Korian goes over to try and comfort his sister.

Yeah, I'm always the sensible one! If only she knew some of the scrapes I've been involved in finding her!

Finish your sewing, I want to see it when it's finished. If he comes running, we'll deal with it then. If not, then as long as he doesn't shake himself dry over us, we'll figure something out.
Ophis
Seraph hugs her brother, grinning.

Thank you. I'm not sure if I'm in the mood for this now. We could follow Vas, he left bit of a print in the rug. We could surprise him

Seraph flashes a mischievous grin at her brother, her eyes sparkling with ideas as well as the fading tears.
Metatron
Have you seen the rain? It's most likely to have washed all traces of him away by now, and he's barely left.
Grinder
Vas - strolling around

As soon as he has left the shelter of the room, the smell and noises of Kratas make their way to Vas' senses. Even the constant rain couldn't wash away the layers of dirt, unwashed bodies and all kinds of emotions that make the city so special. And appealing.

Vas wanders off, without a special direction in mind. A turn here, a turn there and he finds himself in the quarter of Kratas named The Stables. Here's where stables for rent, taverns for cavalrymen (and mercs), brothels and the like are centered - at least when you're either a cavalryman or a merc. Vas has been in this quarter a couple of times and knows some of the more shadier taverns.

A young, attractive human woman whistles when he passes by. Hey Vas! Come over here, I have news for you!
Grinder
Seraph & Korian - inside the house

Just to underline Korians words, a particular nasty rain shower comes down.

Someones knocking on the front door.
fistandantilus4.0
Vas walks over, still keeping an eye on his surroundings.
Jesela makes her money lying down, so it's unlikely shes setting up an ambush. But that doesn't mean she isn't interested in making some money on the side.

Morning Jesela. Beautiful day we're having isn't it?

Does nice things to her blouse.

Eyes front! On her eyes. Don't show a weakness. Stupid.

He smiles
Grinder
Jesela takes a step back under the cover of a shop's roof after Vas noticed her.

She smiles to him and gives him a curious look. Seems like your Everdry cloak is beginning to lose it's magic. I told you not to buy it from K'lartaaran - now you have the mess. Anyway, that's not why I was calling you. I heard that the ork you set up and stripped of all his money three nights ago finally found out who was responsible for it. Just be warned - you better lay down and get out of this quarter for the next weeks. He's no Kratans, but he's looking for you and knows how to ask questions in the way that he gets answers.

Ophis
Seraph looks up when she hears the knock,

If that's Vas having forgotten his keys, I'm going to tease him sooo much. For a start I'm sure he can pick locks...

I'll get it sweety.

She bounds to her feet leaving the stitching on her seat. A few skips take her to the door, her hair flowing behind her, and one hand drifting to the handle of the whip wrapped several times round her tiny waist.

Her other hand strays towards the door. Grasps the handle. Then stops. Seraph grins at Korian and peers suspiciously through the peep hole in the door.

Seraph is disbelieving what she sees as well as looking who it is.
[ Spoiler ]

Grinder
Outside a human man is standing. He's middle-sized, with too much weight for his size on his belly, long blond hair (dripping wet now) and a fleshy face with deep-set green eyes. His clothings are (besides being complety wet) well-tailored and not on the cheap side. A sword is resting in a sheath on his right side.

He knocks again, harder this time.
fistandantilus4.0
Vas smiles and nods. Information was worth more than coin in Kratas. As Vas [ihad[/i] no information at the moment, he gave her 50 silver anwyay.

Much appreciated. i'd better get back to my squat then beffore trouble comes looking for me while I'm out.

Vas slips away, careful to use a number of choke points on his route back in case it is infact a trap to find the way back to his home.
Grinder
Maybe by dump luck or because Vas' luck had left him, a big, hairy hand finds the way to his right shoulder. Despite his best efforts, Vas is turned around and looks straight into the eyes of a broad-shouldered ork whose face is red of anger.

Finally, I found you! You know what I want from you, don't you?
Ophis
Nice eyes, needs to lose a bit of weight though

Seraph stops her examination and steps back opening the door, glancing towards Korian assessing his position. She swings the door open.

Hello, can I help you?
Grinder
I hope you can help me! I know that you're one of the adepts I'm looking for, so open the door and let me in!

You're not sure, but steam may rose from his head if he's gonna stay in the rain any longer.
fistandantilus4.0
taunt

A kiss? Or maybe just a hair cut for your hand.

[ Spoiler ]
Grinder
The ork bursts out a laugh. A kiss would be a start. If you want to pay back your debts that way... That or the money you stole from me three nights ago.
Ophis
Seraph looks across the open doorway,

Well if you keep standing there you'll catch cold, or steam the way you're looking. You don't have some sort of blood oath to only enter if invited do you? Shut the door behind you.

She steps clear of the doorway keeping her eye on the visitor, now behind her, through the mirror that hangs in the hallway.

Korian we have a visitor, I'll pour some brandy, if you could fetch him a towel to wipe himself down with. Oh hang your cloak behind the door if you would. Don't mind the animals, they're perfectly lovely, not safe but lovely.

With that Seraph bounces off the find the drinks, pouring four small glasses of Throalic Brandy.
fistandantilus4.0
I didn't "steal" any of your money. If it were truely "your" money, don't you think you would have kept a better hand on it? Money isnt' anyones. It's just something that waits to change hands. It's not my fault you wreen't paying attention when it was time to move on.
Grinder

The man blinks with his eyes. Twice. Appearantly confused by the snappy answer, he enters and does as he's been told.

He's taking a seat on a chair close to the chimney and waits for the brandy.
Grinder
Vas - in The Stables

The ork looks dizzied by the answer and needs a moment to bring order into his thoughts.
It was money! Otherwise I wouldn't have it with me! But even if we go along your idea - when it changes hands, something is bought with it, right?
Metatron
Korian grabs his sister by the arm as she goes past.

Who is this? He hisses quietly so only Seraph could hear.
fistandantilus4.0
That's a common misconception. In many parts of the world, you get nothing. You never get something for nothing. But you can get nothing for something. Confounding and frustrating Iknow, but there it is.
Grinder
Vas - in The Stables

The ork growls. Your tongues is quick and your words confusing. Trying to give me a headache won't solve our problem, unijort.
fistandantilus4.0
Well it isn't really our problem, is it friend? I don't have the money. I understand the confusion. I can't rightly tell one ork for another, so I don't really expect you to be able to tell us humans apart. The man you're looking for is my old partner Jango. He's about my height, same hair, but he usually wears it long. we used to double as each other. He's an elf, but his ears barely tip.

Quite frankly it isn't worth my neck to keep that double dealers secrets for him. especially if he's still doubling as me after al this time, getting me in to trouble. He lives just off the warrens, or did, last I saw of him. Go tell him about your money problems.
Ophis
Seraph whispers back,

No idea, wants to talk to us, mayhaps it's an offer of work.

She slips her brothers grip and places a glass of brandy into their guests hand. She places one near Korian and another on the mantelpiece she sits cross legged on the floor facing the guest and sips her brandy.

Sooo, master nice eyes, what can I do for you? Or do you require the services of our group? If that's true we should wait for Vas to get back, you do have really nice eyes you know.

Seraph, rests her elbows on her knees and brings her hands together to form a rest beneath her chin. Her glass dangles between finger and thumb. She smiles coyly at the guest.
Grinder

The human nips on the brandy. He closes his eyes for a short moment and seems relax a little. Even though I do need the help of your entire group, I'm sure that you two can speak on Vas' behalf. I know your group since your arrival Kratas and I kept track of your deeds - well, most of 'em - ever since. From the looks you give me, I doubt you know me.
My name's Traparan Quickhand. I'm one of Garlthik's "helpers".

He smiles again, but this time it has a wolfish aspect hidden in it.
My position has brought me responsibility, influence, wealth and a lot of enemies. But besides what I'm doing day in, day out, I have a family I love. And two ago, dark shadows fell over it: My youngest daughter, Larana, has vanished. She is a careful girl without bad habits, so I doubt that she simply ran off. On top of it, one of my trusted "helpers" accompanied her every time she left our manor - and he's been missing too.
What I want from you is to investigate the fate of Larana. A group of my people is already doing so, but just to conceal that another party will work on it too. My people are well-known, what makes it unlikely that they'll found any hints. That's why I want you.
Grinder
Vas - in The Stables

Still a little confused (or with a headache), the ork thinks about Vas' words. It takes a while - in this time his confusion seems to vanish. At the end, he grins and looks the smaller human directly in the eyes.
Vas, trust me when I say that I'm able to keep you humans apart from each other. But if you say that this Jango is responsible for the loss of my money, I'm gonna seek him. Best way to find him would be to have someone handy who knows him. Like you.
fistandantilus4.0
Oh don't be dragging me in to your trouble. I wouldn't ask you to get stabbed for me, and I expect the same courtesy in turn. Asking a complete stranger to get stabbed for you is pretty dishonorable, wouldn't you say?

While we;re on the subject of things that you said, what was that you were saying about a way to get the money "back"? I'm in no good to get stabbed at for you, but a partnership and a way to earn a bit more coin, that I could be interested in. A little honest work never hurt anyone. I trust that you'd be a more honorable partner than my last one. You ... wou woulnd't be trying to get me to do any thieving would you?

Vas looks at the ork out of the corner of one eye as if he's suddenly suspicious of him.
Ophis
Seraph watches Traparan closely as he speaks, her eyes darting from his face to his hands and back, looking for the signs false truth, just as her mother taught her.

Hmm hands steady, a little tense maybe, sweaty but his eyes show no lie. Tension is probably worry, but his daughter is in danger so that makes sense. Probably telling truth, and I'm not willing to let a girl die because I don't trust him. Plus only a fool would claim close allegiance to Garlthrik like that in Kratas.

Seraph twists round, a surreptitious hand signal tells Korian she trust the man. She turns back towards Traparan, she drains her glass. With the drink goes her flighty childishness. The look she gives him is pure business.

First Impression
[ Spoiler ]

Okay, lets say we take this job. Whats in it for us? I'm all for saving innocents but we don't work for free, even for someone with eyes as nice as yours.

Okay not pure business, but definitely more grown up.

Metatron
Korian watches all this with a concerned eye.

I really don't know how she does it. I was never good with words. I'd best not say much, unless asked.
Grinder
The man allows a small smile to slip over his face. Well, I can get my hands on many interesting things - interesting for an adept. Tell me what you want and I 'll try to get it. I don't want to upset you with such uninteresting offers like gold. Let me say that I'm willing to pay you 1,000 silver pieces for expensives you might have and I don't care how and why you spent it, as long as you find my daughter.

He leans back in his chair and nips on his drink. What do you say?
Grinder
Vas - in The Stables

I'm as honorable as a man in this times can be. He scratched his head, obviously confused and hard-thinking at the same time.

So what do you suggest?
Ophis
I presume we're talking about an item a piece right? Thread Item each, none of which are thread plate, or other items of similar values? We allow you a few days to deliver the items once we've saved your daughter. If that sounds good to you we're working for you. If not lets continue to deal.

Confidence rings through her voice, suggesting to Traparan that the rumours he's heard about these two's parents may be true. Seraph glances a Korian to check he agrees. After he nods she continues.

Of course we'll need a little while to think about exact items. It would be sensible for us to each name two or three items and then you can see what is available, in the, ahem, local market. Nothing with a current thread in it please, or one swiftly unravelling. Oh and you help get us reasonable sale prices on anything we aquire in our work.
fistandantilus4.0
Well it seems to me that your primary concern here is the money that was formally yours. I suggest, rather than going forth with the spilling of blood, which, incidentally, isn't worth anything, we work on your new endevor. You said you had a way to get some more coin. I assume that since you wre wanting me to do it, you didn't have the necessary resources to handle it yourself. Perhaps by pooling our resources, we could both come out of this little misunderstanding ahead. What did you have in mind?
Grinder
Is it so hard to understand for you that I want my money back? The ork looks confused and angry at the same time. He doesn't move his hands to his weapons or in Vas' direction, though.
I've said, how I want it to do: you and me go to this guy, beat him up and grab the money he stole from me. You know, the guy who looks to similar to you...
Grinder

It is not difficult for a skilled Weaponsmith adept to create a Thread Item with specific powers - all one needs is time. One month per item, to be exact. If you want to wait so long, it shall be done. If you want an item that may not be exactly what you want, you can get your hands on it earlier. As soon as you have found and rescued my daughter.
One Thread Item for each of you is fine for me. What do you think? That I'm gonna haggle for hours with you when my daughter is in danger?
Ophis
Seraph smiles at the man's reaction. She stands up from her cross legged position with out using her hands, simply shifting and straightening her legs.

My apologies for delaying things my friend. I wanted terms to be certain to avoid any bad blood in future. Now all you need to do is furnish us with some details of you daughter, appearance, any perfumes she may have been wearing. How old she is would be helpful, and anything on your 'helper', like how much did you trust him? Don't worry if she can be found she will be bought back to you.

Seraph's eyes show a firmness of purpose, almost firmer than a promise sealed by Bloodoath.

Families should be together. We can reunite this one. We can. Passions help us please.

Her eyes waver briefly as she extends a hand to shake on the deal.
fistandantilus4.0
Vas throws his hands up in the air. Fine! By Chorollis you really .... ah to Death's Sea wuith it all! Let's go.

Vas guestures for the ork to lead the way, hoping to get the ork just a bit of head start to give him a shot.

[ Spoiler ]
Grinder

Traparan shakes Seraph's hand and takes out a folded letter from a bag inside his tunic. He unfolds it and gives it to Seraph. It shows a very detailed (and very good) portrait of a young human woman of 20 or 21 years. She has the same eyes as her father, while her hair is longer and curlier. The smile on her face underlines her well-swung mouth and full lips. Undoubtly, she's a very good-looking woman.

It makes me happy that we've come to an agreement so far. You have all my trust.
Well, about my helpers? I trust them, I really do, at least when it comes to dealing of personal matters like my famliy. I once made a statement about involving my family into the business I'm in and I'm sure that they got it across. I'll give you a rundown on the people who are suspicious to me.
Grinder
Vas - in The Stables

You first - I know how things run with people like you.

[ Spoiler ]
Ophis
Seraph studies the picture carefully,I trust we'll be allowed to keep this. Excuse my interruption. She continues to listen, all the time studying the picture and any sheets with it.

Were's Vas, got himself too? I hope he's okay.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012