Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Playing Methods
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
tisoz
Maybe you need a better example.

I wanted to play a raccoon shaman once and wanted to get shapechange, this was 2nd edition when it was much easier to cast. The GM said fine as long as I was shapechanging into a raccoon, but if it was something else my totem would get pissed.

He asked how I learned I was magically active. I said I got drunk around a campfire one night and met my totem and astrally projected. Wrong! Astral projection doesn't work that way, you have to know exactly what you are doing.

I also had a weapon focus, that I had paid resources for, that he wanted to know how I got. I said that it had been a lost artifact that the Lafitte's had once been rumored to possess, I was from New Orleans, that I had found. BZZZT! Nope, no magic items existed before the awakening.

He vetoed something else and I picked an argument over the next silly thing he wasn't going to let pass and left.

I hear he has changed quite a bit.smile.gif
Kagetenshi
Well, you could have slapped him down on the magical items count. Sure, no magic from before the Awakening, except for... say... THE ENTIRE FOURTH WORLD.

~J

Postscript: I see your point, though. I do make an effort to play nice with concepts that don't fit neatly, but again, Sphynx chose an example that I'm not even going to try to play nice with. Sorta like someone wanting a PAC and wondering if silencers work with them.
Ol' Scratch
That's an entirely different situation, Tisoz. The GM you're describing was just being a two-dimensional dick. Sphynx's example is, in my eyes, exactly like the one I gave in my last post about someone getting nailed with social TN penalties because they have a quickened Armor spell on. Note that I wouldn't have stopped the player from doing it, but he would have had to live with the consequences thereof.

Limited to shapechanging of a raccoon? Stupid. No spontaneous shows of magic? Ridiculous (canon material even contradicts that on several occasions). "No magical items before the Awakening?" Point me in his direction so I can bitch-slap him. smile.gif
Sphynx
He's talking about me actually. When I first met Tisoz, I had played shadowrun once, for 2 hours, at a gaming convention and fell in love with the game. Bought the book at the store, and on that day saw an ad for shadowrun gamers wanted. The guy who posted the ad, came with a pile of SR books, and I came with my very first 2nd Ed book, never been opened. The guy with all the books and the ad said he didn't want to run a game, and I was the only other guy to show up with a book, so I offered to run the game and based my rulings on the rulings at the game-convention. Anyhows, it was long ago, and I'm not apologetic about house ruling things how I did without knowing the rules. nyahnyah.gif

And BitBasher, sorry for not replying to your post. I didn't reply because I don't see a game where Quickening, Tattooing, Wired Reflexes-3, Body ratings of 11+, etc etc etc are 'gritty'. It's a near super-hero game in a better setting to me. And no, I don't like Marvel nor the concept of a world of super heroes, but I do like SR and a near superhero feel. I think the 1st Ed may have been a critty cyberpunk theme, but I don't think it is anylonger (just look at the Anime effects SURGE causes). You're welcome to continue playing in the past with an old genre, but it's not the canon universe from my reading of it.

Sphynx
Kagetenshi
Just because the effects of SURGE cause superficial similarity to anime doesn't mean that they make the game animeesque. In the least. SURGE and gritty can coexist quite happily.

~J
RedmondLarry
QUOTE (Sphynx)
I see no reason to believe Canon asks for automatic resistance to being Detected by detection spells.

MitS p. 50, Resisted Spells:
"For detection and illusion spells, unwilling targets (targets who are unaware of the spell) always resist."

This book uses the term subject for the one who receives the new detection sense, and target for those being detected or viewing an illusion.
tisoz
Well, I wasn't naming names and the whole situation was fragged with misunderstandings IMO, but whatever.smile.gif

The limiting of the character though seems to describe your second option. Following your explanation of a lack of knowledge/familiarity, could this be why your second examples get limited? The GM filters it through his own perception to grasp the concept so that he won't need to look up how it could work?

I know I've toned down characters from when I started playing. For instance, I had no clue about availability restrictions. I bought the darn books and if it was in there why couldn't a player have it? The only real curb was we played what the PC had, the NPC could have. Bioware drawbacks were overlooked, heck we didn't even differentiate bio index and essence.

But as things got pointed out to me, I implement them. On the other hand, I never thought to layer armor, to combine 2 contacts into one (like the yakuza decker, or the shapeshifting, tribal, bear shaman street doc), etc..

In your example of quickened detection spells, people are pointing out the downsides to the spell as written. After all the PC wants it to detect as much stuff as he's wanting to detect, but will get false positives too. The good GM would hopefully take the ignorant character aside and maybe help him design a spell that does what the player wants it to do. Then again, some GMs hate anything non-canon.
Ol' Scratch
Read my original post as I believe I was the first one to mention the reprecussions for such a quickened spell. Note how I was talking with the player, discussing those very reprecussions with him during the character creation phase. I, for one, am very active with my players during creation.

And if the player was a newbie (a clause not added to the discussion until much later into it), any GM who wouldn't work closely with them, helping them where they could would be a pretty piss-poor GM anyway.
tisoz
I wasn't trying to say anyone in particular, even Sphynx when I met him way back, was a bad GM. I've played both ways and GMed both ways.

Maybe part of the reason for the tone down is the product. I remember in Dreamchipper about motorcycles with AR mounted. A lot of the art seemed to suggest it was an urban war zone and you could get away with walking down the street in armor and carrying weapons in plain sight. They even had a product call DMZ the downtown militarized zone.

Something I personally don't agree with is how some peoples SR world is just todays world with magic, metahumans and high-tech thrown in. The quickest/easiest way for me to describe mine is a bit more post apocalyptic.
BitBasher
I didn't reply because I don't see a game where Quickening, Tattooing, Wired Reflexes-3, Body ratings of 11+, etc etc etc are 'gritty'.
Wow, I beg to differ. Picture standing in an dead end alley clutching your shoulder recentely perforated by a gunshot facing an enemy with equal or better ware than yourself. You grip a scarred Colt Manhunter with the cracked red LCD ammo display faintly displaying 4 rounds left as the cold seattle air wraps around you like death itself, the faint warm feeling of a smartlink is little comfort. A single drop of blood trails down your finger and drips into a puddle in the rain soaked alley. Steam lazily crawling twards the sky in a column of crimson on your thermographic vision as the opponent slowly circles you. The acid rain pitted buildings stretch for stories above you, an urban canyon in the city you call home with the requisite urban predator denying you freedom, the open street of the sprawl just beyond him. The reflection of the Japanese neon sign flickering in the rain slicked street the only natural illimination as you see your opponent, a towering mass of vat grown wirejob, smirk. You don't know why he's here, but none of that matters right now. You know he's here for you. Roll initiative.

Gritty isn't in the stats. Gritty is in the atmosphere.

You're welcome to continue playing in the past with an old genre, but it's not the canon universe from my reading of it.
Your view of the "canon universe as you read it" is skewed in a specific direction, as is mine, just in a different direction. You play up the anime super hero feel of it. There are entire other areas of canon that are not like that and do not have those feel. What I have been trying to say is that these are not mutually exclusive. It's all just a personal preference of how the game is run.

Let me ask you, are the NPC's you face just as decked out and "superhero" as you are? Are all the runners at the same levels of competency as you decked out in the same way? What typically provides you a challenge?

For that matter just out of curiousity... What goals does your character have in life, why does he run the shadows? What does he want out of life?
Ol' Scratch
It also depends where you're at in the Sixth World. Walking the streets of Downtown with an assault rifle slung over your shoulder isn't going to slide, but you could easily get away with it in the Barrens.

The problem I have more than anything are the players and GMs who don't take full advantage of the setting (as opposed to just the rules). In my opinion the coolest thing about Shadowrun *is* the setting (much moreso than the metaplots).
Siege
Does your GM read a description like, "You see two, three hit dice orcs in a 10 x 10 room look up and ready various weapons and a +1 scimitar"

or

"You two orks snarl and dive for weapons as the door splinters inward, the clatter of automatic weapons fire shattering the night as you make your presence known."

-Siege
Dim Sum
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Dim Sum poses a double standard there. By that standard players should be able to hide their dice rolls so the GM doesn't know how many dice a player threw at a test, dice pool distribution and so on. If he lets his players hide their dice and trusts them, then it's all good and nevermind. biggrin.gif

The GM, as final arbiter of all that's in his/her world, must necessarily have the ability, responsibility, and right to "hide" behind a screen. It is by no means a "double standard" but purely a means to an end to tell a story effectively. I am personally in favour of rolling dice out in the open, like Bit, and I do so from time to time, but there are many moments where dice rolled behind a screen serve to improve the game because it is a subconscious manipulation of players' attitudes.

As for my narrative, I usually give first impressions to players, what hits their senses first: I start with basic visuals and, if appropriate, move on to sounds and smells. If they want more information, they ask. I roll for the players BEHIND A SCREEN for things like perception rolls without the player's prompt so they don't know if they've missed something. If the players want to focus specifically, e.g. "Is the guy packing?", I allow them to roll again for themselves.

With regards to things like the attribute and skill ratings of their enemies, why the hell should the PCs know the exact ratings?

"Two oriental men step out of the elevator dressed in dark suits and shades. The taller of the two is bearded and has his hair swept back in a pony tail - Ramirez, you notice the telltale irezumi peeking above his low t-shirt collar. Both have SMGs drawn and level them in your direction."

That's usually all the preliminary info my players get. If they want more info, they know to ask and they trust me not to have missed out pertinent details, but they sure as hell don't whine about not knowing the vital statistics of these two men! It's not important. The goons shoot, the players shoot back, the goons get hit, one may die, the other may crawl into cover and the players might remark on how tough that goon may be but, puh-leeze, none of them says, "Shit, I hit him with a burst from my Savelette Guardian and he's still alive? What's his Body?"
Siege
Actually, if you want to make your players pucker, tell the character with demolitions to toss the dice behind your screen, but to keep his eyes closed.

-Siege
Dim Sum
rotfl.gif
Sphynx
No, Gritty is not limited to the telling of the story, sorry. Again, half of any game is the mechanics. The idea of a roleplaying game is to tell a story, a good story with the characters as the central point. Now read a SR book, and compare your characters to those in the 'good stories'. Although I often compare SR to Marvel, it's in the power levels, not the story. And even then, the powerlevels are very different (unless half of your team is flying everywhere and shooting fireballs out of their hands/eyes without taking any drain). But think about it... You can play a flying/invisible/telekinetic character, tell me that doesn't sound like a Marvel comic book character. The gritty roleplaying part isn't the discussion here, the comments by BitBasher were in reference to game-mechanics, to be more precise, Quickening the spell with a bunch of Karma. That's great that you want to play in a 'gritty' game where you can't use half the rules (like Quickening spells to yourself), but not in my world.

Now to take a few off-topic moments to address the questions directed at me again....
Let me ask you, are the NPC's you face just as decked out and "superhero" as you are? The main nemesis are, but not the goons.
Are all the runners at the same levels of competency as you decked out in the same way? Not sure I understand the question... the entire team I'm with is as decked out as my PC, yes.
What typically provides you a challenge? Same things as anyone else. As stated before, a guy with an assault rifle can take me out pretty easily.
What goals does your character have in life, why does he run the shadows? He doesn't, he's a Merc, but his career is a quest for goodness, saving the world from the horrors that afflict it.
What does he want out of life? To die in a fight. nyahnyah.gif

Point remaining that most of you have done what I've asked about. Burn the character for the idea. I agree that it makes sense to predetermine how spells work, but it makes more sense, for the story, to hear how a player sees a spell working, and work towards that. If Detect Life was such a burden to cast, who would ever learn the spell? Hell, even if you only cast it for a split second to find the people who have disappeared, you suffer the negatives of "False positives", "seeing mosquitos and thinking it's a man", etc, etc. You take a spell and make it useless because you don't want someone to Quicken it due to a GOOD concept.

BTW, OurTeam, thanks for that quote, somehow I missed that one, so I'll add it to my list of House Rules. There's no way I'm going to have everyone auto-resist detection spells. You might as well just never cast the spell then (since the TN to see those you're looking for would start at 6) unless you only had the spell at Force 6+.

Sphynx
Zazen
I don't see what the big fucking deal is, it's just not a spell that lends itself to Quickening. Really, if someone wanted to Quicken the Flame Aura or Physical Barrier spell, wouldn't you talk them out of it?

It sounds like your complaint/question boils down to a GM being very flexible vs. very rigid. I don't think it's fair to demand that we all fit into one category or the other. There is a wide spectrum to choose from.
Sphynx
I don't recall anyone demanding anything at all. Just curious as to why people change from so flexible to so rigid. I see it as a spell that DOES lend itself to Quickening (as a matter of fact, one of our current players has had both spells Quickened for over a year now), and it was one of the players bringing up to me that if he ran the game he'd screw the player over and over with it that made me curious as to: Why?

As Tisoz stated, wisely, a good GM would take the player aside and at char-creation, create a spell that does what they think their spell does (a uni-directional, spell which increases the TN by 2, but keeps the same drain, or maybe just a plain TN 6). Or, as our GM did (and I think he's a Good GM who I try to model my GMing after), just accept the player's definition of how the spell works and play the game with the player having a nice Detection spell that has a cool effect but isn't unbalancing.

Sphynx
Zazen
Although I expressed extremes on both sides of those choices, those still are the 2 choices...

Yes, you did insist that we fit into one category or the other.

I think it just seems this way because you're dealing with two extreme people, a hardassed player and your rather lenient GM. No one I know is as extreme as you describe; most people I know exhibit qualities from both categories equally enough that they defy those choices.

For instance, I'd do just what you said, create a new spell that works like he wants. I allow tons of custom vehicles and gear, exotic bio/cyber/nano, custom adept powers, spells, etc., and generally bend over backwards to give players what they envision. Then again, I allow no shapeshifters just because I dislike them and I ruthlessly fuck with anyone who uses the amnesia edge on general principle. If you have any obvious illegal magic, I make you feel pain.

So what category am I, flexible or rigid?
Sphynx
Pure flexible Zazen. I also don't allow shapeshifters (I don't allow regeneration actually, if you wanted to play a shapeshifter without Regen I'd allow it just so you could play what you imagine), and amnesia is defined as a "GM Fuck with me" edge, and anything illegal that is flagrantly obvious is going to mess with a player.

Building, with the player, the character they see, is flexible. Fucking with them because their view doesn't match your own is rigid. Fucking with them when their view does match your own (amnesia) is flexible. Fucking with them for being non-commonsense/idiotic (flashing guns in cops faces or walking about with a glowing armour spell) is part of playing.

Sphynx
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Sphynx)
Building, with the player, the character they see, is flexible. Fucking with them because their view doesn't match your own is rigid. Fucking with them when their view does match your own (amnesia) is flexible. Fucking with them for being non-commonsense/idiotic (flashing guns in cops faces or walking about with a glowing armour spell) is part of playing.

Sphynx

Nothing personal, Sphynx, but so far the ONLY person in this thread that would fit the "Fucking with them because their view doesn't match your own is rigid" comment is YOU. At least the past YOU when Tisoz was namelessly referring to you.

Everyone else has said, in a nutshell, that they work with their players and encourage creativity. You're the only one who's said NO simply because a player's view doesn't match your own ("Magic items didn't exist before the Awakening," "Astral Projection can't be a spontaneous thing when magic first starts to manifest in you," "Racoon shamans can't Shapechange into any other animals 'cause the totem'll get pissy," and yes those are all paraphrased). Everybody else has said that they'd talk with the player about character creation decisions and work with them to improve or make those decisions playable.

In other words, you're sounding just like what a lot of people say I sound like sometimes; hypocritical and defensive.
Sphynx
Doctor Funkenstein wrote:
It would be a devestating annoyance and distraction most of the time, likely causing TN penalties most of the time that are nearly equal to sustaining the spell anyway (distraction causes a +2 TN penalty). But if the character had some reason for wanting to do it, he's free to do so. He spent the points, he can do as he likes. He'll just have to deal with the consequences of his decisions.

Doctor Funkenstein wrote:
If you're in a duel with another magician and you suddenly sense something rushing towards the back of your neck from behind, that's going to be a distraction... and you wouldn't know if it was just a mosquito coming in for a snack or some troll running from police who's about to crash into you

No, I'm talking about people like you Doc. nyahnyah.gif You fuck people for not having your viewpoint (or on DS get as deragatory as possible in an attempt to piss them off too much to argue). And sorry, you'r enot gonna get a rise from me by mentiong the mistakes of my 3rd hour in the Shadowrun universe. I was most likely trying my best to annoy the hell out of the player for the audacity he showed. And calling me hypocritical from that experience is about as idiotic as anything you've ever said, ever.

I mean, seriously, what player picking those spells see that viewpoint you have Doc? twirl.gif

Sphynx
Ol' Scratch
Oh good lord. I'm not in the mood to be attacked by some whiney little munchkin trying to save face this morning. See you around.
Pavlov

Have fun!  Play Shadowrun!
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Sphynx)
it was one of the players bringing up to me that if he ran the game he'd screw the player over and over with it that made me curious as to: Why?

Because the player is asking, nay, begging for it.
See example about PAC above for a similar situation.

~J
BitBasher
No, I'm talking about people like you Doc.  You fuck people for not having your viewpoint
Sphynx, are you even reading this thread? Is this even the real pshynx or just someone that's taken over their account. This entire thread is seriously out of character based on what I have seen in the past.

I don't often defend Doc Funk, be he went out of his way earlier to say that he would NOT screw his players like this, because he would have already discussed the ramifications of the spell and worked with them to come to a compromise. I'll quote what Doctor Funk said:
Read my original post as I believe I was the first one to mention the reprecussions for such a quickened spell. Note how I was talking with the player, discussing those very reprecussions with him during the character creation phase. I, for one, am very active with my players during creation.
He SAID he would ne be arbitrarily doing that. You said he said somehting he didn't say, then proceeded to flame him. nice.
Zazen
Heh, leave it to DF to bring up shit from 4+ years ago in order to call someone a hypocrite, and then complain about being attacked.
Sphynx
The problem BB is that he's discussing 'his' viewpoint with them. "those very repercussions" being nothing at all what the player sees the spell as doing. If I, as a player, got a talking to about how the spell 'really works' by the GM (DF's) viewpoint, I'd not take the spell either. But then I would have to come up with another character concept entirely.

Sphynx

PS. Zazen, 10+ years ago (1992 I believe) and between you and me, I don't even think I made those calls, I just don't want to call someone a liar since I very well could have. After all, what do you remember of your 3rd hour of the game 10+ years ago? nyahnyah.gif All I remember is someone storming off because there were no Walls in Denver, and the only reason that is in memory retention is because we still shout that out at some point in every game (usually when someone argues a point with the GM). nyahnyah.gif
Game2BHappy
QUOTE (Sphynx)
He's done it for fun, for the ability to be uniquely different, you don't fuck him up the behinney for it.

Yet you write:
QUOTE (Sphynx)
and amnesia is defined as a "GM Fuck with me" edge

QUOTE (Sphynx)
but if an idea comes from a Canon source , and could be interpretated as Canon, then why would someone discard the idea in the manner you have?

Yet you write:
QUOTE (Sphynx)
I also don't allow shapeshifters (I don't allow regeneration actually

I think we need to accept that none of us are purely "flexible" or "rigid". From the house rules I've seen you make in the past you could be just as rigid as anyone else in making the game work the way you want it to. As a GM, that's your perogative. When a GM finds something that doesn't work for his game, he becomes "flexible" and changes it to fit in. When a player tries to add something that will disrupt the game, the GM may suddenly become "rigid" and not allow it (like regeneration for example).

Accept that there can be more than one viewpoint and you can't be GM and player at the same time.

Lastly, I agree with Bitbasher on your recent posts ... please chill ... I really enjoy your posts on DF, but you're making a good attempt to ruin any chance of people listening to you in the future. Bring back the real Sphynx! smile.gif
Sphynx
Fair enough, maybe I'm just seeing things strangely. I'll quit reading/posting on this thread. wink.gif

Sphynx
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Sphynx)
what do you remember of your 3rd hour of the game 10+ years ago?

I'm not Zazen, and it was only eight years ago, but what I remember is that the rest of the team was having a bit too much fun and accidentally blew up the room with the person we were trying to extract in it while shelling a building with man-portable rockets.

~J
Talia Invierno
Personally I'm in favour of background puppet-master NPCs who grossly outpower the PCs at first - but who almost always work through minions who become more and more powerful as the PCs progress and learn more, until the PCs might potentially be able to challenge the mega-threat directly. I'm also in favour of games where the PCs, while they can start out with anything canon, leave themselves at least some initial visible room to grow (within that first crucial 50 karma points wink.gif ) so that they are able to see their PCs progressing in leaps and bounds especially near the beginnings of the game. If there's a prized piece of equipment or focus or spell, my experience has been that players on average prefer to earn it (even if relatively early on, for less powerful pieces) rather than begin with it. Most players (again in my experience) seem to enjoy an in-game discovery of first-time initiation more than having their PC pre-initiated. It's all part of the growth process.

Still, my experience, only.

A question:

Suppose a GM is working with fitting a new player into an existing group. The group has an (existing) specific tone and power level. The player might have a somewhat different power level for the image of their PC in mind.

To what extent would you (any of you) feel it appropriate for the GM to push or limit the new player in terms of possible (canonical) power level?
Zazen
The memory I have of my first few hours was of a rather large (300+ pounds) female player getting frisky and flashing us every few minutes. Man, that was freaking weird.

She left the group shortly after I joined, but the image is burned into my memory forever.
grendel
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
A question:

Suppose a GM is working with fitting a new player into an existing group. The group has an (existing) specific tone and power level. The player might have a somewhat different power level for the image of their PC in mind.

To what extent would you (any of you) feel it appropriate for the GM to push or limit the new player in terms of possible (canonical) power level?

I don't see it as being much of a problem unless the GM is running a really power-limited gang or street campaign where the normal character generation rules would place the incoming character above the existing characters. In most other situations, a newly generated character will be by definition less powerful than an existing character. In that case, it's up to the GM whether or not (s)he wants to give the player some starting karma or perhaps a few extra points in order to bring their character up to speed with the rest of the group.

Also, a certain amount of discussion should take place among the GM and the existing members of the group so that there are no misunderstandings about the incoming player/character.
nezumi
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)

Speaking for myself, if combat plays more than a passing role in the game, I would cap an overly powerful character by limiting the maximum skills, disallowing certain equipment and limiting his karma pool. He'll still get karma like normal, so he can advance himself, and since this is only a temporary cap, when he leaves the campaign he's still better for it. Alternatively, I'd let a character in if he promised not to use the particular skills he's super-awesome at (so a pistols 9 character uses an SMG in my game). But this is only if there's a serious gap in skills between this new character and the older ones.

On the flip side, normally I wouldn't help out a new character at all from the get go. Normally a good group can protect a single PC pretty easily (however, a single powerful PC can unbalance the game very easily for a good group, so it only works one way). But the new guy would 'coincidentally' come into some fairly nice gear pretty early on to boost him up until he gets some more karma under his belt. For super gaps in characters, I'd give him a boost of karma, probably to slightly less than the weakest character currently in the game.
moosegod
The SRComp rules for group Karma pools can be really useful for integrating multiple new characters into an existing group- it cuts back on the top player's Karma and gives the n00b's some hope.
Talia Invierno
Sorry, maybe I didn't word this well, but nezumi came closest to catching what I had in mind.

The distinction of the new player is not that they are using starting stats (starting karma and/or bps), but that their PC image and construction is based upon a different view of the specific game level of power relative to that of the existing group. (After all, as we all know well, equally canon starting PCs can end up with drastically different power levels: what constitutes a solid starting PC in one type of game might be a fish out of water in another.)

[Edited to try to bring the intent across a bit better.]
TinkerGnome
Some of the experiences I've had with new PCs in running games indicate that there is a bit of a disjoint. Every GM is different and ever group of players is even more different. The group I most commonly play with has quite a few taboos that a new player probably wouldn't be aware of. Not "the way things work" per se, but things like "no sniper rifles on arial drones" and the like. Things which were banned for the very OOC reason of saving the game's ability to function (aka, the Great Sniper Drone War).
tisoz
Originally posted in THINGS PLAYERS DO THAT WE GM'S HATE by Sphynx Mar 7, 2003 7:54 AM
Sorry in advance for changing the subject, but I've been wanting to bitch about this for forever.

Check this... back in early 90's (whenever 2nd Ed JUST came out) this guy posts on a gaming board in the local store saying he's looking for players to play Shadowrun (my favorite game).

Myself and 2 others show up in addition to this guy. We get there and he tells us he doesn't want to run the game, just get a group together to play, one of us can run it....

Ok... bad start... nyahnyah.gif

So I offer (reluctantly) to run the game, and he sits down, opens his backpack and pulls out about 12 books. The rest of us look down at our core-rulebook and make quiet comments about certain "geek" characteristics being noticed in the room.

So he asks... "Can we play in Denver? I have a character I want to play from Denver". We look at each other, then back at the guy and are like... uhm... sure.. city shouldn't matter any. However at this point it's starting to become obvious that I'm not the only one getting very annoyed by this guy....

Now mind you, once again I point out the fact we only had the core books back then. Resources must have been priority E for us at the time, despite being Human...

So I sit down and say "Well, remember that I've never been to Denver, so I'm going to have to wing this a bit and if my info doesn't match yours then try to be adaptive ok?"

He says: "No problem, as long as there are walls in denver, my character concept is as a smuggler".

I says: "Walls... I don't get it... of course there are walls in Denver, that's what makes it hard to get into buildings. "

Anyhows after about a 10 minute discussion about how Denver looks I tell him he can either run the game in Denver using his scenario, OR he can play in Denver with NO walls because I have no idea what he's talking about and don't really care anymore, we're just going to play in Seattle if neither of those options is ok.

He stands up in an 'uffish' manner and says: "So you're telling me there's no walls in Denver?" I says: "Correct, no walls in Denver" He grabs hist stuff storming out of the room going "I can't believe anyone wouldn't have walls in Denver".

Since then, the other 2 guys I met that day and I often joke about "no walls in denver" when anyone tries to join our group with pre-conceived ideas as to just how things are in OUR world.

And to this day, despite having ALL the books now, and having played in Denver including some GhostWalker type plots, never ever ever has OUR world had Walls in Denver. This includes on some buildings, but that's due to player-venting with explosives because of a new player, usually followed by shouting of: "See... NO WALLS IN DENVER"...

Sphynx

When I read this, I thought that sounds familiar. However Sphynx first responded by phone saying he knew a couple guys. I said I had only GMed 1 session and didn't feel comfortable. He said he guessed he could GM though he really didn't want to. It was never mentioned that I was expected to GM, and when he posted this was the first time I learned where the animosity I felt originated.

The reason I brought the books was to share them, sorry that was regarded as geeky. Btw, that was when I started getting the unwanted feeling.

I suggested playing in Denver, but my character could have moved to Seattle after spending time in Denver. The reason being in our phone discussion there needed to be a backgroung for skills, spells etc. The whole character was built around the idea of getting around, under, through these barriers and trading stuff.

As I may have already said, I picked a fight over how Denver looks because I saw myself getting hosed and it may as well be a memorable exit. 11 years and counting.

I contacted Sphynx privately and tried to explain my side. This a copy of the email.
A few other things happened in my anecdote concerning the other players who showed up and the help the GM was giving them in creating their characters. Little boons here and there, fudging the rules a bit to make a neat character.

In contrast, my character got shredded. Nothing I saw as integral to my character was being allowed.  When I stopped trying to fix my character long enough to notice that every other player present was getting gifts and I was getting coal, I figured there must be some reason I was getting hosed (the initial misunderstanding in the board posting apparently.)

I figured I was going to get discriminated against forever playing with this group. To test how rules would be interpreted against me, I brought up Denver. Whatever was said was a contradiction to what I just read in the sourcebook, so I left.

Was I/the geek supposed to ask for an explanation for why I was getting shafted?  And no doubt, hear a denial that such was occurring.

You may notice I use the term anecdote. I remember the events pretty well and refresh the memory by retelling some of it from time to time, just as Sphynz does. In fairness to Sphynx, he did bend the rules for the other players by asking them if there was anything special they saw their players being able to do. There was a guy that wanted his adept/sam to have a whirling dervish type maneuver, this was way before there were MA rules for it, and it got worked out. Sphynx also mentione the 2 guys that accompanied him got some special abilities, though I don't recall if it was even stated what they were.

I was just hugely disappointed that not only were the rules not getting bent for my character, but they were getting bent against it.

Changing the subject a bit...

I hate playing with a new group. Especially a magical character. You never know how a rule, especially spells, is going to be interpreted. If you build your character with the expectation something is going to work in a specific way, then it doesn't work that way, you may wind up creating another character.

I've seen GMs make poor rulings that pretty much caused players to quit the group. Such as a rigger that lost his drones without so much as a roll. Or a shaman his spirit. It may have been for story purposes or whatever, or because the GM didn't know the rule, or was just biased. It's hard to ask [/I]why[I] and get a response when it happens.
Kagetenshi
Psht. No walls in Denver? Absurd.

~J
Shockwave_IIc
I remember that post back in march. though what the thread was about i can't remember.

Though todays Sphynx seems a different person thenthe one back then. But i think i see why you bring this to light (tho personally i wouldn't have).
tisoz
I brought it up because he was suggesting that I may not have remembered correctly. It also reminded me while I posted that he did bend rules to fit how a player saw his character working, which is directly relevant to the topic.

It also let me refute the other thread, which I was willing to let slide after exchanging emails at the time it was active.

There are usually at least two sides to a conflict. I had no idea why I got treated like I did until I read that he was pissed that he had to GM. That's why I previously said there were a lot of misunderstandings. And I did later contact a player from his group about joining another group I got together because I figured he'd be getting screwed as he wasn't an original acquaintance of Sphynx. Evidently Sphynx isn't so bad because the kid said he was having fun where he was. Of course, he probably saw me as a lunatic.smile.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012