Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Positive Changling Qualities
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
WearzManySkins
SURGE Positive Qualities

Arms of Kali I: Character has an extra set of fully functional arms below his normal ones. The character can fire 4 hand weapons at once subject to the normal penalties, including having to split his his dice for hits four ways. Clothing/armor cost 20% more for this character due it has be made/adjusted for him or her. Such changelings may not have the human looking or Blandness qualities.
Cost: 10 BP

Arms of Kali II: Character has an two extra set of fully functional arms below his normal ones. The character can fire 6 hand weapons at once subject to the normal penalties, including having to split his his dice for hits six ways. Clothing/armor cost 40% more for this character due it has be made/adjusted for him or her. Such changelings may not have the human looking or Blandness qualities.
Cost: 20 BP

All changlings with either quality either have a longer torso than normal or legs shorter than normal. Or a combination of two.

Cyber Arms is not an option for these changlings due to the great interests that medical types have in their neuromuscular and neurosystems. Ie they might get cyber arms but they will never enter play due their being studied, ie locked up.

Characters with 4 arms get a bonus to climb rolls of 2 dice, those with 6 get a bonus of 4 dice to climbing rolls.

Most of all known changlings with this quality are of Indian subcontinent background.

Comments or feedback or combination of both?

WMS

Edited names
Edited BP costs
Adarael
No.

Arms of Kali Ma allows the character to make an agility+unarmed combat test. If the character critically succeeds, the target's still-beating heart is pulled from their chest. The attacker may instantly kill the target by crushing or burning the heart, but must shout "KALI MAAAAAAAA!" to do so.
Veggiesama
Besides splitting the dice pool, there is also an additional -2 dice pool penalty for using an off-hand weapon. For an extra three arms, that would add up to -6 (or -10 for five arms), so taking Ambidexterity alongside would be pretty much a necessity.

That said, this is still really silly. =)
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Veggiesama)
Besides splitting the dice pool, there is also an additional -2 dice pool penalty for using an off-hand weapon. For an extra three arms, that would add up to -6 (or -10 for five arms), so taking Ambidexterity alongside would be pretty much a necessity.

That is true about the ambi dex, but each player makes that decision. But since it costs only 5 BP's it could be done with either form 4 or 6 arms.

Now take someone with climbing skills, and give one set of hands the Gecko hands, either gloves or bioware.
NightmareX
QUOTE (Veggiesama)

Shadows of Asia mentions changelings like this.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (NightmareX)
QUOTE (Veggiesama @ Aug 22 2007, 01:04 AM)

Shadows of Asia mentions changelings like this.

Correct and IIRC in Augmentation too.

WMS
Rotbart van Dainig
I suggest to change the points to 10 and 20... 5 points per extra Arm is fairer.

It allows for magicians having this Quality, too.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Veggiesama)

Offhand penalties are only applied to test made with that hand. When multi-wielding, each attack is considered a separate test and has its own modifiers, meaning that the penalty would only be -2 per off hand, though with a 4-way split this is practically equivalent to -6. The difference is very important, however, since a sextuple-wielding character with sufficient edge can make 6 long-shot tests.
Ol' Scratch
If you want to do this, try converting the SR3 rules for extra cyberarms. For the life of me, I can't remember what it was called but I do recall it being in Man & Machine.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Aug 22 2007, 03:54 AM)
I suggest to change the points to 10 and 20... 5 points per extra Arm is fairer.

It allows for magicians having this Quality, too.

Rotbart,

Good points changes made.

Doctor Funkenstein,

Well this is for changlings, I looked in M&M, the only things I find there, is increases to body for having pairs of cyber limbs, ie +1 for a pair of cyber arms, +2 for a pair of cyber legs. I have yet to have found any more information in M&M. But adding to the body is not what I am seeking.

Thanks

WMS
Moon-Hawk
mmmmm, six sets of suppressive fire all at once.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Aug 22 2007, 10:01 AM)
Doctor Funkenstein,

Well this is for changlings, I looked in M&M, the only things I find there, is increases to body for having pairs of cyber limbs, ie +1 for a pair of cyber arms, +2 for a pair of cyber legs. I have yet to have found any more information in M&M. But adding to the body is not what I am seeking.

Yes, that's obviously what I was referring to. You got me. Nevermind the whole "rules for extra cyberarms" comment. I was undoubtably only referring to the Body bonus for having cyberlimbs. It's so clearly apparent.

It's been quite a long time since I've read M&M or SR3 in general, but I know they had something along those lines somewhere. Even if just the articulated arm weapon mount.
Dread Polack
The Hero-system lobe of my brain is kicking in. In HERO there's a power called "multiple Limbs." It costs the same amount no matter how many extra limbs you have. Having +20 limbs doesn't give you +20 attacks, or give you a greater carrying capacity, or bonuses on grappling or climbing. You have to buy them separately. What are the bonuses of having extra limbs?
  • The ability to hold more stuff at once
  • The ability to climb better?
  • The ability to grapple people better?

Then you just need to decide what this is worth. With +4 arms, if you really want to fire a burst of ExEx rounds from an SMG with each of your 6 arms, you can. It's probably good that you will have to split your dice pool for this. A good min/maxer will buy up all relevant factors in the dice pool, getting somewhere between 14-20 dice, split 6 ways, not leaving a lot, especially if you're shooting multiple targets. This isn't a dice-pool booster, mostly just an option-increaser. Most players with ambidexterity I know use it so they can hold a gun with different ammo in each hand. Someone with this option will mostly use it to save them from spending the actions to draw weapons.

But, then, maybe I'm not jaded enough of an SR players to see the truth about this quality smile.gif

Dread Polack
hyzmarca
The extremely lite rules for extra cyberarms appear in First Run.

And by lite I mean they consist of (paraphrased) 'This dude has three arms'

And there is a picture of a a dude with three arms.

It doesn't say exactly what the third arm does or give even the remotest guideline, but it confirms that, yes, you can have three arms, possibly more.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (bibliophile20)
Besides, even if they had extra arms, they've got the same kind of stereo-articulated eyes I have. That means they're only gonna hit one target at a time. I'll put down 'Very enthusiastic,' and 'Seen too many john woo movies.'

Well one can add the cyber ware the Eyeband, as long he/she is not moving things are golden.

Thanks
WMS
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012