Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Upcoming Books
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Caine Hazen
I figured since I was in the middle of audio editing this stuff I'd take the chance to post up some stuff you guys didn't get to hear if you missed the con. There will be more details when the audio is posted (and you can listen to ROb talk about it):

Arsenal: Toys, Toys, Toys (Nov)
Corporate Enclaves: Neo-Tokyo, LA (minor looks at NYC, nairobi, Tenochtitlan)
Ghost Cartels: Just announced Plot book
Unwired: Technos, riggers, Hackers! (April)
Feral Cities: barrens and urban decay... yum!
Crime Time(?): Org Crime (name is a placeholder)
Runner's Companion: get yer meta-variants here! (Shadowrun Companion redux)
2009 The 20th anniversary of SHADOWRUN!!!!
Awakened Huants: Setting book
Running Wild: Critters, plus rules on things dealing with critters
Corporate Handbook: Including new things like a peek at corp culture
The Johnson's Companion: Little Black Book redux
Unnamed Plot book: hey, that's all he told us...
tentatively: The 6th World Almanac: You gotta listen to the audio to understand.. I won't even go into it... rock biggrin.gif

So, I'm excited. Anyone else out there? The management asks you clean up the puddles of drool before you exit grinbig.gif
eidolon
Caine FTW.
Fortune
QUOTE (Caine Hazen)
... The 6th World Almanac ...

Is that the same book-type thing that was on the German-only drawing board?
Caine Hazen
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Caine Hazen @ Aug 24 2007, 02:46 AM)

Yeah, Rob mentioned it was the same type of idea
Fortune
... and there was much rejoicing! biggrin.gif

Thanks.
Prime Mover
Nice! unwired so far away...gasp hehe. Critters looong way down list too I see.
the_dunner
QUOTE (Caine Hazen)
Awakened Pawns: Setting book

I'm pretty sure that should be "Awakened Haunts." wink.gif
Kyoto Kid
...at least CyberSanta is finally going to arrive with all the toys (Arsenal) I've been waiting for before the new year.
Redjack
Wow.... Seems like I missed a good get together.... I was in a game somewhere....
Dashifen
Was the "What's Up?" seminar recorded like we hoped it would be?
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Dashifen)
Was the "What's Up?" seminar recorded like we hoped it would be?

Yes, it's being reviewed.
Caine Hazen
QUOTE (the_dunner)
QUOTE (Caine Hazen @ Aug 23 2007, 11:46 AM)
Awakened Pawns: Setting book

I'm pretty sure that should be "Awakened Haunts." wink.gif

That's what I said...

No, really.

Ok you got me. It all blends together after the 15th listen.
Casper
Did anyone get a recording of the GenCon whats up with SR maybe for a pod cast or what have you.

EDIT:: nevermind maybe I will read the whole topic before posting next time.
fistandantilus4.0

Excited about this one. They're very due for an all around update with some of those syndicates.I mean Jesus, isn't Akira Watada dead yet!?

*Rallies for titling the mafia section In With the Family*
bclements
QUOTE (Fortune)
... and there was much rejoicing! biggrin.gif

I cannot ++ this enough. Excellent decision!
Casper
Audio?
Zolhex
QUOTE (Caine Hazen)

These are the ones that I'll be wanting first then others as money permits.
kzt
It was done, they need to edit out the seemingly hours of pushing games about walking tanks and other silliness at us, as well as adjusting the volume and providing IDs of who was talking, since it took about 45 minutes before anyone got around to saying who they were. I think the guy running the recording software said the original audio file was well over 100 MB, so it needs to be trimmed and processed a tad.
Marwynn
November for Arsenal eh? About the right time when I sink my teeth into Rigging so awesomesauce.

Synner
QUOTE (Caine Hazen)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Aug 23 2007, 12:54 PM)
QUOTE (Caine Hazen @ Aug 24 2007, 02:46 AM)

Yeah, Rob mentioned it was the same type of idea

I'd like to underscore that it's the same type of idea not the same book...
Zhan Shi
I'd like to see a more fleshed out (hahaha!) Tammous in org crime.
Fortune
QUOTE (Synner)

Can you enlighten us as to the differences involved?
MITJA3000+
QUOTE (Caine Hazen)

I really hope that these books will include something new for the old-timers, and not just revised things for the fourth edition...
Fortune
Well, Running Wild has been on the blocks for a long, long time. It has always promised to add new dimensions to Shadowrun, no matter what the edition. It was never actually planned as a Monster Manual type book, as much as (as far as I can recall) a tome on how to integrate Critters into a campaign in previously-unpublished manners.
ThreeGee
a tome on how to integrate Critters into a campaign in previously-unpublished manners.

Interesting given the recentish introduction of magical and technological 'pets' into the rules.
Caine Hazen
QUOTE (kzt)
It was done, they need to edit out the seemingly hours of pushing games about walking tanks and other silliness at us, as well as adjusting the volume and providing IDs of who was talking, since it took about 45 minutes before anyone got around to saying who they were. I think the guy running the recording software said the original audio file was well over 100 MB, so it needs to be trimmed and processed a tad.

Actually the raw sound file from the Shadowrun session was 281 meg. But with mp3 compression (or ogg) and spliting it into 4 parts should make it a better download. Hopefully someone will have time to review it soon, but I know not everyone from Catalyst has made it home yet.

At least it didn't clock in at 570+ meg like the Battletech one. That edit is gonna drive me insane...
hobgoblin
impressive, just impressive smile.gif

arsenal, unwired and runners companion is a must for my part.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Synner @ Aug 24 2007, 04:57 PM)

Perhaps it won't contain mostly filler material like interviews, short stories and similar trivial things.
Bull
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Aug 24 2007, 09:08 AM)

Perhaps it won't contain mostly filler material like interviews, short stories and similar trivial things.

From what little Rob said at the seminar, it likely will be a lot of that.

It sounds like it's really a two part book... The first part being the almanac stuff, showing us in brief the entirety of the world. The second part being something of a "history of Shadowrun the RPG", with interviews and bios and the like with folks involved with the creation of the game and producing it through the years.

Personally, I'm really excited about the latter there. I've always found the behind the scenes stuff fascinating. Same reason I like commentary tracks on DVD's, I guess.

Bull
Fortune
QUOTE (ThreeGee)
a tome on how to integrate Critters into a campaign in previously-unpublished manners.

Interesting given the recentish introduction of magical and technological 'pets' into the rules.

Yeah well, as I said, it has been in the works for a long time, and maybe the developers felt that those Critter-types fit better in that section of Augmentation.

Or they are just a teaser. wink.gif
Fortune
Oh, and thanks Bull. smile.gif
TW
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Aug 24 2007, 07:27 AM)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Aug 24 2007, 09:08 AM)

Since the German book only covers SR history up to the end of SR3, I could imagine the Catalyst SR almanac will also include SR4 history up to the point of publication. That alone should fill a few pages...
Zen Shooter01
Damn, Running Wild is too far away...

But I am looking forward to Arsenal.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)
Damn, Running Wild is too far away...

Yes and no. Personally, I'm glad there's still some time before I'm expected to rewrite/rework my portions of the book. I need to get a grasp on a few things first, and with an almost-two-year-old daughter, that's going to take some time I'm barely going to be able to squeeze in between classes and other obligations.

But man, am I looking forward to getting that puppy out the door....
Redjack
Any novels on the horizon?
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (TW)
I could imagine the Catalyst SR almanac will also include SR4 history up to the point of publication. That alone should fill a few pages...

If by that , you mean fill in those missing 5 years, that would be awesome.
Caine Hazen
QUOTE (Redjack)
Any novels on the horizon?

Loren COleman did ask the audience if novels were to come back, who they would like to work on the first one. That could be a good sign.

(JM Hardy will now show up and berate me for not shouting his name...)
eidolon
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
QUOTE (TW @ Aug 24 2007, 12:13 PM)
I could imagine the Catalyst SR almanac will also include SR4 history up to the point of publication. That alone should fill a few pages...

If by that , you mean fill in those missing 5 years, that would be awesome.

Isn't that the truth. To me "<insert period where they build a full on wireless matrix infrastructure and the whole world just goes 'okay'>" doesn't quite cut it.

It's workable, and if you are new to the game it almost certainly doesn't matter (at least unless you start reading older material for fun), but it is a bit of a "wha?".
TW
It's too early to tell what the almanac would contain. Again, I could imagine, that - if details on the time between 2065 and 2070 appear in the regular books down the road - these details might make it into the almanac history section.
BookWyrm
QUOTE (Caine Hazen)
I figured since I was in the middle of audio editing this stuff I'd take the chance to post up some stuff you guys didn't get to hear if you missed the con. There will be more details when the audio is posted (and you can listen to ROb talk about it):

Feral Cities: barrens and urban decay... yum!
Awakened Huants: Setting book
Unnamed Plot book: hey, that's all he told us...
tentatively: The 6th World Almanac: You gotta listen to the audio to understand.. I won't even go into it... rock biggrin.gif

So, I'm excited. Anyone else out there? The management asks you clean up the puddles of drool before you exit grinbig.gif

OK, let me toss in my $0.02.......

Arsenal: YES!
Corporate Enclaves: I'm hoping it will at least compare with previous Corporate-themed books.
Ghost Cartels: another plot book? Let's hope there's more to it than that.....
Unwired: YES!
Feral Cities: Ooohh, sounds tasty.....
Crime Time(?): huh? Needs a better sounding title, like "Crime.biz"? Or "Criminal Enterprises."
Runners Companion "2.0": Tread carefully.
Awakened Haunts: sounds like a locations/settings book. More info plz.
Running Wild: Critters? Yay!
Corporate Handbook "2.0": OK, I'm intregued....
The Johnson's Companion: OK, I can get into that....
"Unnamed plot book": Awww frown.gif no fair teasing!
"The 6th World Almanac": YES!
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (BookWyrm)
Awakened Haunts: sounds like a locations/settings book. More info plz.

Corporate Enclaves, Feral Cities, and Awakened Haunts are all sprawl books, similar in content and format to Runner Havens.

Like Runner Havens focused on the sprawls of Hong Kong and Seattle, Corporate Enclaves will focus on Neo-Tokyo and Los Angeles. It's too early to say what the other two will focus on.
Fortune
QUOTE (BookWyrm @ Aug 26 2007, 10:36 AM)
Corporate Enclaves: I'm hoping it will at least compare with previous Corporate-themed books.

It's going to be a location book, similar to Runner Havens. Not a Corp book in the vein of Corporate Shadowfiles.

Corporate Handbook 2.0 (blah!) is probably more like the one you want. smile.gif
Adam
As Sprite said at the seminar and Caine also re-posted, several of the titles, including "Crime Time," are just placeholders.
Fortune
Yeah I know. Just chiming in with my opinion, whether it is wanted or not ... as usual. smile.gif
Casper
Audio?
Caine Hazen
QUOTE (Casper)
Audio?

I'm sure they'll upload it one day....
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Caine Hazen)

Hopefully this isn't just a place holder name but means that it'll be about the actual Ghost Cartels and what they're up to in South America and beyond. Which would be very cool since they're one of my favourite organised crime groups. biggrin.gif

Of course if it is to do with them and South America then I'd guess that SoLA might be a rather useful accompaniment, so fingers crossed and all that. wink.gif
Blade
I'm quite surprised by this name which was supposed to be kept secret before emergence so as not to spoil anything...

But I don't see how "Ghost Cartel" can spoil anything in Emergence... question.gif
Jaid
QUOTE (Blade)
I'm quite surprised by this name which was supposed to be kept secret before emergence so as not to spoil anything...

But I don't see how "Ghost Cartel" can spoil anything in Emergence... question.gif

maybe it didn't used to be called ghost cartel as it's placeholder.

and maybe it's ghost, in the sense of "ghost in the machine" (that is, AIs) although i kinda hope not... too much focus on the matrix in the metaplot leaves the rest of the world kinda blah.
cryptoknight
I'm hoping that arsenal is like augmentation in that I can get the PDF long before it goes to print... smile.gif As much as I HATE reading a PDF... I can always use it as source material in PDF form... and buy the hardcopy for a straight readthrough when it comes out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012