Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Eighth World
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Zhan Shi
RedBrick is working on a game called "Equinox" which could (I emphasize COULD) be a continuation of ED/SR into the Eighth World. Suppose Harlequin and Ehran will still be bickering in 10,000 years?
Ol' Scratch
Blurb available at the bottom of the page.

It does sound like it could be fun. I've been hankering for a good space-based game for a while now, and I've always loved the way Shadowrun made magic and cyberpunk so plausible together. So doing the same in a far future world has a lot of appeal to me.

If it is the Eighth World, meaning the same storyline as Earthdawn and Shadowrun, I really hope they go out of their way to emphasize that it's an alternate version of Shadowrun's world. Why? For the same reasons that the Earthdawn-Shadowrun links were vastly toned down; it sucks trying to make two completely different and independant setting work together, especially when the "older" one is still in a state of constant flux and advancement as far as storylines and the setting goes.

But yeah, I'm definitely going to check it out!
Zhan Shi
Well the entire earth has been destroyed, not to mention a 10,000 year time lapse. I guess they could explain any variations from canon by those two things alone. Maybe we'll finally figure out what those pyramids and skeletons on Mars represent. Perhaps the "Great War" that is mentioned is an after effect of the Sixth World scourge.
Ol' Scratch
I'd be very surprised if it wasn't, especially since space stations and orbital platforms were one of the areas Dunkelzahn and Co. were very interested in getting humankind to explore in preparation for the next Scourge.

The problem is that it makes the impending doom that is the Scourge a little less climactic since we'll "know" we did, in fact, survive. At least the time difference between Earthdawn and Shadowrun didn't include such a major event, so nothing was really ruined by linking them together. But if this does prove to be the Eighth World relative to the Fourth and Sixth from those two games, it does, in fact, tell us we're going to make it... so it's suddenly not quite as scary as it could be.
Zhan Shi
Did'nt the blurb also mention "tainted artifacts"? Maybe the Enemy (Horrors) are still lingering somehow. Interesting theory....Earthdawn on a galactic scale. I assume mteahumanity has found a new gaiasphere, or the folks at RedBrick have figured some game mechanic for magic use in orbit. This would be an ideal setting for The Jopp's "Force Tradition".
Ol' Scratch
<just shrugs> Another thought I had is that it would be interesting if part of the premise revolved around that speech Ehran gave some time ago. About magic working like a Sin wave through the universe, and with metahumanity figuring that out near the end of the Sixth World and deciding to "ride along," possibly to warn other civilizations of the impending Scourge, unlike cowards like Dunkelzahn and Harlequinn.
hyzmarca
Spell Matrices and Grimoire casting should allow magicians to cast spells in spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace without difficulty.
Zhan Shi
BTW, any info on when it will actually be released?
MITJA3000+
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
The problem is that it makes the impending doom that is the Scourge a little less climactic since we'll "know" we did, in fact, survive. At least the time difference between Earthdawn and Shadowrun didn't include such a major event, so nothing was really ruined by linking them together. But if this does prove to be the Eighth World relative to the Fourth and Sixth from those two games, it does, in fact, tell us we're going to make it... so it's suddenly not quite as scary as it could be.

I've always been 100% sure that (meta)humanity will survive the scourge of the sixth world. I mean, they made it in the fourth, with substantially less technology, and this time around we got some veterans who'll probably help us when they feel it suits their purpose. Lofwyr for example, might be a selfish bastard, but even he has to understand the importance of humanity.
Ol' Scratch
Yes, but technology in the Fourth World was nothing like it is today. We could destroy the entire planet hundreds of times over today. Just imagine what we can do after another thousand or two years. Then think to how the Horrors operate. They're not just mindless killing machines. They're the stuff of nightmares. Infesting every aspect of civilization, taking everything we know and hold dear and twisting it to their ends. It's going to be brutal. A handful of kaers or some thorns sticking out of your skin isn't going to protect metahumanity this time around.

Which is exactly why I can see the premise for Equinox coming about. But I'll still find it a bit of a letdown because no matter how much of the knowledge may be lost about the events that took place, we'll know what the outcome is.
Grinder
The question is: can we beatt the Horrors?

biggrin.gif
Blade
And the answer is: it depends on what the dev team wants.
Kalvan
We may have survived, but I'd say that the price was rather high...
Dread Polack
I can see an interesting new option in for the next scourge: the use of Hot-sim VR tech to suppress fear in our minds, thus making us nigh-invisible to the horrors, allowing us to actually fight them. I can see teams of ultra-high-tech street sams and cyberzombies hunting down horrors that would have massacred entire populations in the fourth world.

Anyone?

Dread Polack
Zhan Shi
That can also cut two ways. Imagine Verjogorm's mind set loose on the net...."shudder"
mfb
actually, i'm picturing Nebis spreading via flash cartoons. or whatever the zomgztech equivalent is.
Zhan Shi
Well, I suppose NEBIS that's possible, but NEBIS NEBIS a horror really do thNEBISNEBISNEBISNEBISNEBIS
mfb
nebis nebis nebis nebis MUSHROOM MUSHROOM
Big D
There should be some old threads (last year?) with anti-Horror ideas aplenty. Several people made the point that "conventional" Horrors would be toast, but the infiltrating, chaos-sowing ones might have a field day turning us against each other.
Zhan Shi
Since we're on this subject, I've been thinking for a while now of bringing the lightbearers to SR4. Perhaps making the lightbearer "talent" the equivalent of a metamagic technique, which would in turn grant automatic abilities at every subsequent initiation, or maybe all at once, using initiation grade as a "+" modifier. Would such powers only be effective against horrors? Or against any spirit classifiable as a magical threat? Or maybe fully effective against horrors, with somewhat lesser effect against other threats (blood spirits, bugs, shedim, etc.) And how excatly would a runner learn this technique? Perhpaps through one of the lightbearers preserved artifacts (see ED companion). Any thoughts?
Big D
QUOTE (mfb)
nebis nebis nebis nebis MUSHROOM MUSHROOM

You win one (1) Matrix.
Naysayer
Mmmh, but when I hear dark, grisly future, magic powers, orks, elves and a dark, all-poweful corrupting evil fiend... IN SPACE... I kinda think Warhammer 40k. Of course, that Equinox thing is very likely going to be something very different. Just saying.
The fact that where I am, it's 3am and something like shortly past booze-time may be relevant when evaluating this post.
Ed_209a
Horrors=Warp demons?

Could be...

On a side note, 40k would be at least the 12th world, since 40k does not mean AD 40,000, but 40 millenia since some arbitrary event (rise of the emperor?)
Naysayer
Thinking about it, when I first read about the whole "backstory" of the Emperor, it reminded me of the IE's.

Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Spell Matrices and Grimoire casting should allow magicians to cast spells in spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace without difficulty.

...if that's the case., I will be glad my characters have passed from the scene Millennia before. Hopefully by then the Vogon's have built that interstellar bypass & Earth along with all the IEe & GDs will no longer exist as Arthur Dent is the only survivor by HHGttG canon.

At least Infinite Improbability still (sort of) deals with Physics. grinbig.gif
Big D
Y'know, I almost posted a comment earlier that maybe you'd like this one, since technology would have reached a point (as per Clarke's Law) where it was essentially magic, but with (theoretically) more consistent rules.

Unless, of course, they're cribbing from BT and reducing the tech level back to late-20th century with a few technological marvels from the golden age long ago...
Serial_Peacemaker
I don't know. I should point out that it is fairly unlikely that in the fourth world that pre-horrors there was much in terms of high level background count as occurs in Shadowrun so early in mana cycle. I've always played with the idea that there are some things that our home plane is cooking up that will end up making even horrors take pause.
Zhan Shi
New Metamagic

Edge of Light

add the character's initiate grade as a DV bonus against spirits which can be classified as magical threats (see street magic). attack must be melee weapon or unarmed combat.

Astral Warrior

add the character's iniate grade as a bonus to attributes for purposes of astral combat

adapted from various ED books
Kyoto Kid
...new technology: The Infiinite Improbability Drive:

The Infinite Improbability Drive is a wonderful new method of crossing interstellar distances in a few seconds; without all that tedious mucking about in hyperspace. As the Improbability Drive reaches infinite improbability, it passes through every conceivable point in every conceivable universe almost simultaneously. In other words, you're never sure where you'll end up or even what species you'll be when you get there. It's therefore important to dress accordingly. The Infinite Improbability Drive was invented following research into finite improbability which was often used to break the ice at parties by making all the molecules in the hostess' undergarments leap one foot simultaneously to the left in accordance with the theory of indeterminacy. Many respectful physicists said they wouldn't go to stand for that sort of thing, partly because it was a debasement of science, but mostly because they didn't get invited to those sort of parties.

Notice:
Unfortunately, human beings are accustomed to travelling at normality (probability 1:1), and can be fairly distressed by events around them whilst the improbability drive is working: losing limbs, turning into sofas, planets spontaneously becoming fruitcakes, nuclear missiles metamorphosing into sperm whales and bowls of petunias.

scatter.gif
Grinder
QUOTE (Blade)
And the answer is: it depends on what the dev team wants.

No, the correct answer would have been: We discussed it already to death - and beyond

wink.gif
Cadmus
But all of this is but a dream for Evil will win, *dark voice as if speaking through a mic at the drive through* Becouse Good is DUMB!.

PlatonicPimp
QUOTE (Big D)
Y'know, I almost posted a comment earlier that maybe you'd like this one, since technology would have reached a point (as per Clarke's Law) where it was essentially magic, but with (theoretically) more consistent rules.

Unless, of course, they're cribbing from BT and reducing the tech level back to late-20th century with a few technological marvels from the golden age long ago...

You know, I just can't figure out why people assume that technology HAS to advance. It may be that after we figure out this last batch of advancements, there won't be any more practical discoveries. It might be that what other possibilities are discovered require so much energy to use that they simply stay out of common usage.

I've always liked heavy gear for that. Crazy superscience is around, but noone uses it because it uses too much energy and isn't reliable enough in a frontier environment.
Trobon
Sorry to necro a thread like this, but I wanted to add what I have been emailed about this and didn't want to make a new post about it. I emailed Red Brick the other day and got a reply saying that they still have it as a lower priority than their other games. However, they are hoping to get a stand alone adventure with demo rules out sometime this year (probably the summer they said) and then they will be putting up official forums sometime after that. I just wanted to share that with everyone since I couldn't find any other thread on this than this one.

I am pretty excited about this myself and I hope they keep working on it and get it out.
krakjen
QUOTE (Naysayer @ Aug 25 2007, 02:11 AM) *
Mmmh, but when I hear dark, grisly future, magic powers, orks, elves and a dark, all-poweful corrupting evil fiend... IN SPACE... I kinda think Warhammer 40k. Of course, that Equinox thing is very likely going to be something very different. Just saying.

Time for WAAAAAAGH!!!!
Cthulhudreams
That would actually be a good thing, as the 40k rpg was a clunky system that got cancelled about 10 minutes after the first printing sold out in the first month of release.

Idiots.
Cadmus
ooo they need a 40k MMO smile.gif becouse that would be so much cooler then the normal warhammer one they are making..
Grinder
QUOTE (Cthulhudreams @ Mar 23 2008, 01:25 PM) *
That would actually be a good thing, as the 40k rpg was a clunky system that got cancelled about 10 minutes after the first printing sold out in the first month of release.

Idiots.

Fantasy Flight Games picked up the license and is currently seeking a Line Developer, so the line won't be cancelled any time soon.
Grinder
QUOTE (Trobon @ Mar 23 2008, 03:22 AM) *
Sorry to necro a thread like this, but I wanted to add what I have been emailed about this and didn't want to make a new post about it. I emailed Red Brick the other day and got a reply saying that they still have it as a lower priority than their other games. However, they are hoping to get a stand alone adventure with demo rules out sometime this year (probably the summer they said) and then they will be putting up official forums sometime after that. I just wanted to share that with everyone since I couldn't find any other thread on this than this one.

I am pretty excited about this myself and I hope they keep working on it and get it out.

Yeah, Dammi is busy working on it, but the new releases for both Earthdawn and Fading Suns are eating up much of his time. Not the mention that bitch Real Life, who always wants more of your time. wink.gif

DocTaotsu
This could be kinda cool, here's hoping it's Travellers: SR+ED. I have a feeling that they'll be doing everything in their power to not make it Warhammer 40k or even Empire of the Fading Sun. So no idea what the game mechanics are going to be like?
Grinder
I you're speaking of Equinox: the mechanics are likely to be based on the ED ones, i.e. steps, many dices and all that.
DocTaotsu
Ah, is the ED system any good? I'm afraid I really haven't played it before.
Grinder
One needs a session to get used to it, but then it runs fine.

Basically, you add your attribute value and talent/ skill rank and get a step number. I.e. Dexterity step of 6 plus Melee Weapons of 6 adds up to Step 12. Every step is linked to a certain numbers of dice, in my example it would be 2d10. Roll the dice against the DN and that's it.
DocTaotsu
Oh and to show solidarity with my brethern Krakjen:
WAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

Sounds kinda complicated but hey, it's tabletop right? It's just gotta be crunchy smile.gif

Still I'd probably be playing a game in this universe more for the setting than the rules, does ED translate well into SR4?
Grinder
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Mar 23 2008, 02:48 PM) *
Sounds kinda complicated but hey, it's tabletop right? It's just gotta be crunchy smile.gif

My explanation certainly make it sound more complicated than it is. wink.gif

QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Mar 23 2008, 02:48 PM) *
Still I'd probably be playing a game in this universe more for the setting than the rules, does ED translate well into SR4?

Rule-wise, you mean? No, not really. The player characters in the ED-setting are much more powerful and are all using magic, similar to an adept, but with much more powerful magic. They're progressing in levels (called circles) and get new powers in every new circle, that they have to increase with experience points.

ArkonC
I like everything about the ED system except the die steps...
"All right, you roll step 36, that's 2d20+1d12+3d8+1d6 and you add 1d8+1d6 for the Karma point you spent..."
Grinder
You'll get used to it during your first session. smile.gif

The steps usually don't change that often, so you don't have to look up new steps every time you roll the dice.
ArkonC
QUOTE (Grinder @ Mar 23 2008, 03:15 PM) *
You'll get used to it during your first session. smile.gif

The steps usually don't change that often, so you don't have to look up new steps every time you roll the dice.

I didn't get used to it...
Neither did the other players...
It was fine at lower circles...
But as soon as you reach the higher circles the die steps are a complete mess...
Grinder
My players love the higher steps, with so many dices to roll. biggrin.gif

How long did you play it?
DocTaotsu
Ah so it's a different feel, I wonder if they're going to spring for that for Equinox? Guess that's just idle speculation at this point.
ArkonC
QUOTE (Grinder @ Mar 23 2008, 03:34 PM) *
My players love the higher steps, with so many dices to roll. biggrin.gif

How long did you play it?

Between 2 to 3 years...
From circle 1 to 12...
Only reason we kept playing was because we wanted to know how the story ended...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012