Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The hardest thing about SR4 is....
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Adarael
I imagine that CIA black ops in South America have occasionally needed a sniper.
Jaid
QUOTE (Cain)
as far as the arguements against having the sexual augmentations and rules in the books, honestly, my opinion stands at this: if you're mature enough to play a game in which you're running about planning and killing people, you certainly should be mature enough to accept that sexuality is a fact of life, and there are many parts of the world that're far less closed off about things of a remotely sexual nature than most people are in the US.

In addition to what Hyzmarca said, there's the fact that it took up time and effort that could have been spent on something more useful (Like an index), took up a ton of space that could have provided more usfeul stuff (like more cyber- and bio- toys), and was generally handled with all the maturity of Beavis and Butthead. Your opinion is valid, but it doesn't address the problems with how Augmentation deals with sexual augmentation.

omg, not 2 paragraphs! and it must have taken them forever to balance those things, too, what with them having such a large amount of space!

woe is us, for clearly they could have made an index with that kind of empty space and with such a massive amount of time!

[/sarcasm]

and for the record, i don't see what's so horribly immature about the rules for the implants.
Adarael
I'll tell you!

1) The cyber-wang is not called "The Mr. Studd Sexual Implant"
2) The description text is not "All night, every night, and she'll never know. Also available in "Midnight Lady."

(That's verbatim from Cyberpunk 2020, if you didn't know.)
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Jaid)
QUOTE (Cain @ Sep 11 2007, 01:43 AM)
as far as the arguements against having the sexual augmentations and rules in the books, honestly, my opinion stands at this: if you're mature enough to play a game in which you're running about planning and killing people, you certainly should be mature enough to accept that sexuality is a fact of life, and there are many parts of the world that're far less closed off about things of a remotely sexual nature than most people are in the US.

In addition to what Hyzmarca said, there's the fact that it took up time and effort that could have been spent on something more useful (Like an index), took up a ton of space that could have provided more usfeul stuff (like more cyber- and bio- toys), and was generally handled with all the maturity of Beavis and Butthead. Your opinion is valid, but it doesn't address the problems with how Augmentation deals with sexual augmentation.

omg, not 2 paragraphs! and it must have taken them forever to balance those things, too, what with them having such a large amount of space!

woe is us, for clearly they could have made an index with that kind of empty space and with such a massive amount of time!

[/sarcasm]

and for the record, i don't see what's so horribly immature about the rules for the implants.

As written, there is nothing immature about them, and very little space is used. However, the fact that they have an essence cost discourages responsible use and encourages irresponsible use.

Players who spend a quarter of an essence point on a cyberpenis aren't just going to let it go to waste. They could be spending that essence on climbing claws, oral guns, and other things which aren't entirely useless. Instead, they chose to use an irreplaceable resource to get a robot penis. These augmentations will not remain in their pants. If they do, there there is no point in getting them at all.
Mercer
As was pointed out to me on this site, the Midnight Lady ™ implant gave a bonus to Seduction rolls.

It seems to me that having a cybernetic hoo-haa isn't the sort of thing someone is going to know until they are already well-seduced, unless your seduction method is to walk up and say "I have a cybernetic hoo-haa." (Which, in all fairness, would work on approximately 99% of heterosexual guys.)
Fortune
See below!
Fortune
Maybe they incorporate actual 'performance' into the art of seduction.
Buster
QUOTE (Fortune)
Maybe they incorporate actual 'performance' into the art of seduction.

Ah, a ventriloquist act. Like Jim Carrey talking out of his butt?
Critias
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
OK lets back up

this has always been a huge pet peeve of mine, and I don't say this to dog the achievements of one man, but, army snipers, marine snipers, and snipers of all other branches of the service have had just as much happen that, had the right people decided to try to measure things out and make a big deal out of, would have gotten them just as much credit as Hathcock got, he just was one of the first and did it in a place that wouldn't get anyone in trouble for admitting that they did it.

Carlos was not just another sniper. He was an outstanding, gifted and talented person. To me what is quoted above is Dogging his accomplishments, despite words to the contrary. That is like saying just any baseball player could beat Ty Cobbs records.

I said

A major part of what Hathcock did was counter sniper work, how could one get in trouble for that?

Response was

by telling stories about missions that didn't happen.

How is counter sniper work and "Spook" ops related?

WMS

Alright, Jesus. I'll explain it some more.

I'm just curious, though...Do you have to work really hard at being able to just completely ruin a mild joke and run the poor, hapless, funny into the ground? Or is it a natural gift? Anyways. Here we go.

Carlos Hathcock was a great guy and an incredible sniper, but he's not the greatest guy or the most incredible sniper. Period. There are often discrepancies (especially with snipers) between the occasional media favorite and the actual best.

For WWII, for instance, look at the famous Vasily Zaytsev (of Stalingrad fame), who has been the inspiration for several books, movies, video game levels in-jokes, etc. 242 confirmed kills. Now, that's pretty awesome, right? But...How many people outside of the sharpshooting community (and maybe Finnish history students, I don't know) have even heard of Simo Hayha, though? He's the Finnish sniper who's credited with somewhere between 505-724 Russian kills during The Winter War. At the conservative end, that's twice as many kills as Vasily, but when was the last time you saw a major motion picture starring a couple A-list movie stars about Simo?

It's much the same with Carlos, The White Feather. The guy's incredible, and no one's taking away from that. But he's not got the longest confirmed sniper shot, he's not the USMC sniper with the most confirmed kills, etc, etc. Why isn't the rifle and pistol complex at Marimar named after Chuck Mawhinney, the Marine sniper with the most kills (who also served in Vietnam)? What about Waldron, the US serviceman (an Army soldier) with more confirmed kills than either of them?

That's what we're getting at. Hathcock's the man, and make no mistake. He's been dead for several years and I'd still never want to pick a fight with him. But the whole thing that got this sad little ball of wax going was that some people get the limelight, and some people (who have more accomplishments in the same field) don't. That's all.

And the other snipers with longer shots and more confirmed kills than him are only counting -- and this is where MFB's little joke comes in -- the stuff that's a matter of public record. All the other guys that hold records, from Vasily to Mawhinney, are guys that did so at times of war, shooting targets they were supposed to be shooting. No super ninja secret ultra-classified stuff "that never happened."

For all we know, The ArchBishop Louis "The Sadist" Jones was building up a rebellion amongst the Swiss Guard, until the Pope's right hand man, Ryan Mercury, shot him from two and a half miles away with a .22 bolt action, last week...but the Church will never let such secrets come to light (as a random, and completely made up, "for instance"). That poor guy made an incredible shot, and we'll never hear about it. See? See there, that joke?

Snipers, especially, are likely to have quite a few remarkable stories to tell that they can't ever tell. It's the ones that do amazing things during times of open, publically accepted, war -- WWII, Vietnam, etc -- that are the only guys who even have a chance at any sort of public recognition, fame, or record book.

That's the joke, okay?

That's the thing you weren't getting, and were arguing, and ran right into the ground with your lack of hah-hah. Get it? Can the conversation move on, now?
Draconis
I love rants.
Mr. Croup
..and everyone forgets Rifleman Plunkett.

Poor Thomas Plunkett.
Critias
QUOTE (Draconis)
I love rants.

Pfft. That wasn't me ranting, there wasn't enough cursing. That was me educating.
Draconis
QUOTE (Critias)
QUOTE (Draconis @ Sep 12 2007, 04:15 AM)
I love rants.

Pfft. That wasn't me ranting, there wasn't enough cursing. That was me educating.

But his name isn't Jesus.....
DTFarstar
Critias, if you don't mind I may sig your last post. You have no idea how many time I've said an approximation of those same words to people.

Chris
WearzManySkins
@Critias
I quote AH

"My advantageous mongoose masturbates with abandon over your mother's skeleton."
Hartbaine
That Armageddon video was too funny. I listen to Johnboy and Billy here at home on way to work in the morning.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012