Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The hardest thing about SR4 is....
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Donk
unlearning SR3 and replacing with SR4 rules.

Kyoto Kid
...fixed vs. variable TN
...skill caps
...magic that has become even more powerful & easier to cast.
...spirits that can now sustain health spells
...Astral barriers useless against ritual magic
...magic working in space
...blurring of distinction between Hermetic and Shamanic traditions
...no more real Riggers
...no more "Jacking in" to the matrix
...anyone, even a Mage, can now hack the Matrix (& watch out for those Hacker Adepts)
...Technomancers being "magic" instead of tech oriented
...no more counter attacks in Melee combat.
...wireless everything.
...glitches (who in their right mind will ever take the Gremlins flaw again?)
...commlinks with associated IDs as a necessity just to get though the day (kind of took the "shadow" out of Shadowrun)
...the hacking rule mechanic according to RAW
...Logic being a relatively useless attribute (see above)
...knowledge skills nerfed in their usefulness
...Social Adepts who make Johnsons pee in their pants
...Adept improvement
...Edge Attribute
...Avoid Certain Death and Longshot rules (see above)
...lowered resources cap (by 75%)
...Cyberlimbs still sucking
...Bone lacing going from a (P - permit) to an (F - illegal) legality.
...Bioware still being prohibitively expensive even after 15 years of development
...Bioware now costing essence, even for cultured implants.
...Docwagon contracts still being expensive.
...BPs instead of nuyen.gif for purchasing Contacts
...the fact though they tried their best, Min-Maxing is still alive and well
...all the cool toys we all came to know & love suddenly gone until whatever new supplements they will be in are released. Because of the mechanics change, previous sourcebooks were useless.
..."Freebie BP" negative qualities (like Incompetence, & Sensitive System for mages)
...Perception being a Physical Skill
...the whole Initiative mechanic. In the past someone with 1d6 of initiative still had a chance for 2 IPs.

...did I miss anything? grinbig.gif
Adarael
*raises hand*
Mages used to be able to hack the matrix. I played one who did, anyway...

(Admittedly, they can generally do it a lot better for a lot cheaper, now.)
Kyoto Kid
...yeah, but they took a heavy hit to do it back then.

Dedicated Deckers were still the cowgirls and cowboys of the data stream & nobody else really could touch them.
Fortune
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Sep 3 2007, 04:57 PM)

Magic worked just fine in space in SR3 ... if you were a high enough Grade ... or you had Filtering.

...anyone, even a Mage, can now hack the Matrix (& watch out for those Hacker Adepts)

And this differs from SR3 how? Especially after the release of SotA64.

Otaku were basically magical in SR3. In fact, it was a bone of contention for quite a few people. Again, what's the difference?

There is a precedent, I believe in Augmentation, whereby Knowledge Skills can be used to augment (no pun intended) a person's actions. I think it's in the Medicine section.

See SotA64!

You're kidding, right? Cyberlimbs rock now better than in any previous edition of Shadowrun.

Bioware cost Essence in SR3. I'm confused.

..."Freebie BP" negative qualities (like Incompetence, & Sensitive System for mages)

Strange. I find that it's the rare mage that doesn't take any cyberware. At least in my experience. Certainly every single one of mine has done so, even the couple that have had the Sensitive System Quality.

As for Incompetence, well there have been dozens of threads on the subject, and quite a fair amount of GMs seem to think that there is little problem, as long as discretion is used ... which is the case with all parts of chargen anyway.
Jaid
QUOTE (Fortune)

Bioware cost Essence in SR3. I'm confused.

no, actually, SR3 used bio index iirc. i don't really remember how exactly it work, but i do remember thinking bioware was a nuisance =P
Kyoto Kid
...I'm going to dispense with quoting the responses since I need to log off soon

...in SRIII you tried to cast magic in space & you usually went insane.

...it was a lot harder for mages to deal with the matrix since they had hefty negative modifiers and had to sacrifice 1 point of MA for the datajack.

...an Otaku's abilities were not affected by essence loss for implants. In fact they actually needed some cyber to even function in the matrix.

...I have not read all the way through Augmented yet but according to the core rules they were basically treated as fluff skills & could not be used to support related active skills.

...Kinesics only had three levels max and cost 1 PP per rating. Now it is limited only to the Adept's MA and costs .5 PP.

...you still have to buy up the attributes for cyberlimbs to match the character's attributes.

...SRIII had an Essence Index which was capped at 9. If bioware exceeded this, it was prone to overstress but didn't necessarily kill the character.

...I haven' had an awakened character in the games I ran who didn't take Sensitive system just for the 15 BPs even though it didn't necessarily fit in the character background.
The Jopp
QUOTE (Fortune)

You're kidding, right? Cyberlimbs rock now better than in any previous edition of Shadowrun.

I have to disagree here, to a point.

Sure, cyberlimbs are “better� than before but far too expensive as their fluff suggest. Cyberlimbs are stuff for the poor according to fluff but cost at least 4+ montly middle lifestyles.

We added a few houserules to correct that problem.
Cut prices in half for all limbs from Obvious limb prices
No cost difference between synthetic and obvious (they have their respective advantages)
Lower essence cost for skull and torso to Torso: 1 skull: 0,5
Availability: 3
Starting attributes are 3+Racial

With the above as a base a second hand cyberlimb with minimum attributes for a poor troll with some savings it costs him 5K for a limb.

Kyleigh Wester
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...fixed vs. variable TN
...skill caps
...magic that has become even more powerful & easier to cast.
...spirits that can now sustain health spells
...Astral barriers useless against ritual magic
...no more real Riggers
...no more "Jacking in" to the matrix
...no more counter attacks in Melee combat.
...wireless everything.
...commlinks with associated IDs as a necessity just to get though the day (kind of took the "shadow" out of Shadowrun)
...the hacking rule mechanic according to RAW
...Logic being a relatively useless attribute (see above)
...Adept improvement
...Edge Attribute
...Avoid Certain Death and Longshot rules (see above)
...lowered resources cap (by 75%)
...Bone lacing going from a (P - permit) to an (F - illegal) legality.
...Bioware still being prohibitively expensive even after 15 years of development
...Docwagon contracts still being expensive.
...BPs instead of nuyen.gif for purchasing Contacts
...all the cool toys we all came to know & love suddenly gone until whatever new supplements they will be in are released. Because of the mechanics change, previous sourcebooks were useless.
...the whole Initiative mechanic. In the past someone with 1d6 of initiative still had a chance for 2 IPs.

...did I miss anything? grinbig.gif

This about sums up why my GM refuses to run fourth. I've volunteered to be the GM for out fourth campaign if we ever do one, but there will be a decent load of house rules. Though the logic thing pisses me off more then anything. It literally ranks up with one of the most blatant overlooks i've seen in any game....ever.
laughingowl
To me the simple problem I have scalability...

1-7 is to small of range.

There needs to be more then even 3 dice (1 hit) to reflect a 'professional' and 'the best world renowed'.

If the system had been moved to a d10 system maybe... but even 11 ratings mean a fairly small difference between a nobody, a amature, a professional, and 'the best'

A 'new character' off the street should not be Fastjack's skill level. (sure Fastjack is going to be a lot more 'rounded' but he should still also be able to smack around any starting character...

The difference of pistol 4 and pistol 7. (a well trained professional and 'the best') is stastically a single hit....
hobgoblin
i think the problem is to look at them as a new kid of the street or school.

they most likely have a professional background of some kind or other.

how else did they scrounge up up to 250000 worth of gear?

if one wants to play fresh of the street people, limit the max skill to professional level, and cut back the overall BP.

oh, and a professional is level 3. level 4 is veteran...
Draconis
Actually with nano introduced sensitive system isn't a given anymore.
I took the magic hit and got nano, my teammate didn't. He pays for that almost every run.

laughingowl
Hobgolin..

I can make it 'street' level no problem by lessening build points...

My problem is

A USMC Marine Corp Sniper (Rifle 4 a veteran / seasoned professional) and Carlos Hathcock (perhaps the most famous US sniper). THe difference is 3 dice one statistical HIT?

7 levels (or 8 if you included incompetent) to me is to narrow especially with how little effect 'a die' has (I.E. each level) on overall effect.

1 net hit is s tiny gain for going from "average beat cop" to Carlos Hathcock...
hobgoblin
well the feat that hathcock pull most likely involved edge and a lot of exploding dice, and thats on top of something like cover modifiers, range modifiers and called shot for extra damage (or something similar).

as in, i would say that some of the stuff he did was just as much about luck of the moment as pure skill. thats not to say he was not skilled, but that myth has a habbit of making people larger then life.

but the really big thing is that in SR4 the attributes have much more to say.

a average person with pro skills are looking at 6 dice, while a top person with top skills would be throwing 12 dice or more.

so can we say that hathcock had above average stats?

thats the really big thing going from SR3 to SR4, in SR3 you would get some attibutes to get cheaper skills, maybe roll body when ever you got hurt, and have them count into the dice pools, but beyond that they just sat there doing close to nothing. in SR4 on the other hand, they are much more important.
eidolon
QUOTE (Donk)

Heh, that was rough at first, but I got past it by actively ignoring myself while reading SR4 stuff.

"What's that, brain? It worked how in SR3? SHUT UP JERK I'M READING!" biggrin.gif

Actually, the hardest thing for me so far is finding the damn time to read the books.

Seriously, I've done a good skim of the core book, and have read the first bit of Emergence. I did manage to finish System Failure, which I hadn't read previously because I hadn't been sure I was going to move to SR4.

Yeah. Time. Bah.
toturi
QUOTE (eidolon)
QUOTE (Donk @ Sep 3 2007, 12:06 AM)

Heh, that was rough at first, but I got past it by actively ignoring myself while reading SR4 stuff.

"What's that, brain? It worked how in SR3? SHUT UP JERK I'M READING!" biggrin.gif

Actually, the hardest thing for me so far is finding the damn time to read the books.

Seriously, I've done a good skim of the core book, and have read the first bit of Emergence. I did manage to finish System Failure, which I hadn't read previously because I hadn't been sure I was going to move to SR4.

Yeah. Time. Bah.

Helps if you put Yoda on loop. "Unlearn... unlearn you must!"
Fortune
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Sep 3 2007, 05:29 PM)
...in SRIII you tried to cast magic in space & you usually went insane.

Unless they used Filtering or were a high enough Grade, exactly like in SR4.

...it was a lot harder for mages to deal with the matrix since they had hefty negative modifiers and had to sacrifice 1 point of MA for the datajack.

There have been no negative modifiers to mages using the Matrix since SR1 (or maybe 2). As far as a sacrifice of Magic, so what? Maybe people are too caught up in 'class mentality', but one of the good points of Shadowrun is that there are an infinite number of ways to build a character, and none of them are necessarily wrong (concept-wise).

...Kinesics only had three levels max and cost 1 PP per rating.  Now it is limited only to the Adept's MA and costs .5 PP.

But a lot of the other stuff wasn't as limited, and everything still combined just nicely. The fact that there were a ton of things that dropped the TN in SR3 for Social Adepts made a huge difference.

...you still have to buy up the attributes for cyberlimbs to match the character's attributes.

At a measly monetary cost. No capacity is used whatsoever in reaching your own attribute level.

...I haven' had an awakened character in the games I ran who didn't take Sensitive system just for the 15 BPs even though it didn't necessarily fit in the character background.

Maybe this is not indicative of a problem with the Quality, and more a problem with the games you are playing. I have found that most people I game with are mature enough to either not abuse the system in the first place, or are at least open enough to discussion to deal with the situation.
knasser
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Sep 3 2007, 10:18 AM)
well the feat that hathcock pull most likely involved edge and a lot of exploding dice, and thats on top of something like cover modifiers, range modifiers and called shot for extra damage (or something similar)

In my experience, in a lot of areas the difference between someone who is good at something and someone who isn't, is not one of capability but of consistency. When the dice pools are small, the difference in hits is actually proportionately more significant.

Don't forget that attributes are also a factor in the skill roll, giving a much larger range than skill alone.

-K.

EDIT: And while I'm here - hardest thing about SR4 is dealing with all the broken hearted SR3 fans. wink.gif nyahnyah.gif
ludomastro
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Sep 3 2007, 01:57 AM)

*raises hand*

Oh, wait, you said in their right mind didn't you. Never mind.
WearzManySkins
I would say that Carlos Hathcock was combination of extremely high skill, extremely high agility attribute, and natural talent for the work he performed. He does not hold the record for most kills, but some of the more outstanding ones, one until recently was a record for the longest kill.

To me such an individual as Carlos Hathcock, trying to translate him into SR game terms is doomed to failure. The SR game system is not capable to doing it anywhere near his actual level of expertise.

WMS
kzt
Yeah, HERO would work a lot better for that. It's got other issues, but it does skill ranges a lot better.
Cheops
QUOTE (knasser)
EDIT: And while I'm here - hardest thing about SR4 is dealing with all the broken hearted SR3 fans. wink.gif nyahnyah.gif

\signed.

I got lucky and had 2 complete noobs in my SR4 group. My other 2 players have similar play style to me and had such long running characters in SR3 that they didn't really get much experience with the ENTIRE system.

The difference between someone with skill 7 and 4 is that if the shot suffers -3 dice pool modifier the skill 7 person still has the same skill as the 4. Gun duel at 10 paces, no wind, clear visibility the skill 7 can shoot you in the face and roll the same number of dice.

Kinesics works fine for me. It is much harder for Adepts to get Power Points now. Before the Adept got 3 levels of initiation = +3 magic, +3 metamagic and then started paying 20 karma to get +1 power point once initiation was too expensive. That problem is gone now. Adepts got MASSIVELY hosed in 4th in my opinion.

As far as Logic and Hacking goes I'm fine with it not playing a role as long as the fluff remains the same. Older books had mentions that literacy was actually on the decline because no one NEEDED to read anymore. It's all visual. Even the programming suites were described as the programmer mostly just taking iconic representations of blocks of code and inserting them into the program. You didn't even need to read or write to program! Mind you you still needed the Knowledge skills to write the program plans but I'm sure that'll make an appearence in the
Advanced Programming rules in Unwired.

Overall my group has found that the 3 worlds of SR work smootly and realistically together and that character creation and building is EVEN more open and interesting than ever.
Kyoto Kid
But a lot of the other stuff wasn't as limited, and everything still combined just nicely. The fact that there were a ton of things that dropped the TN in SR3 for Social Adepts made a huge difference.

...did a bit of research and you are correct the +4 modifier was dropped in SRIII. However to even be a reasonable Decker would take away from the character's focus on their magical abilities (mages were still Karma whores back then). In 4th ed if you go by RAW, it is programme rating, not attribute that adds to the hacking pool. So let's say, a shaman with a low to middling logic could still be a better hacker than she could as a decker.

For one, the investment isn't as extreme (cyberdecks and utilities were horribly expensive compared to commlinks and programmes). All Mages had foci to buy and bond and Hermetics needed summoning materials. In SR4 you only need to pay for conjuring materials if you wish to bind a spirit. Second she doesn't need to sacrifice that point of MA to get a datajack as everything is wireless. If need be she can use a trode net and get the same performance as if she was hard wired. In SRIII using trodes meant you were a "turtle" with very limited capability (this is the path mages in my campaigns took who wanted to dabble in the matrix as nobody wanted to sacrifice even that 1 point of magic).

...keep in mind some of those same edges such as Friendly Face and Good Reputation were also available to the NPCs as well, and what decent Johnson wouldn't have them if he or she wanted to keep their job. Heck any corp with decent resources would recruit and groom social adepts of their own. As a GM I was also very careful on the allowance of the Aptitude edge (which was suggested in the rules for it could easily upset game balance).

I never had issues with Johnson's being walked all over as they were in SR4 because for one thing, there were no elementals which could sustain Health spells on a character in SRIII. That made a huge difference in 4th ed. Now you have that elf face adept with a 12 Charisma 5 negotiation, 5 Kinesics, +2 improved ability, First Impression Quality against the mundane J who has a 5 charisma 5 negotiations and maybe the First Impression quality.

At a measly monetary cost. No capacity is used whatsoever in reaching your own attribute level.

..you are of course referring to the Custom Cyberlimb option in Augmented. Again I am at a bit of a loss to reply on this as I just obtained the PDF and have not read through everything yet.

Maybe this is not indicative of a problem with the Quality, and more a problem with the games you are playing. I have found that most people I game with are mature enough to either not abuse the system in the first place, or are at least open enough to discussion to deal with the situation.

...yes I will agree, this was a player issue. Granted, none of my Adepts have taken it (though I do have one mundane with the quality who has some cyber). It is just that every time I see someone with a new awakened character, that is the first NQ on the list. Now I can't tell them they can't take it, but there has to be some kind of disadvantage for the character otherwise it isn't a Negative Quality. Maybe next time I need to do something extreme like have Ares or Aztechnology abduct a mage or adept with this NQ and stick a datajack in them.

Addendum: Since Augmented came out I understand there is some sort of Nanoware that can be bought which effectively negates the flaw. If this is so and a character takes it - there goes the next 30 karma to buy that NQ off.
Kyleigh Wester
I agree with KK in the matrix flaws. Yes, in SRIII a mage could use the matrix, but they'd never be able to master it like a decker could. A good decker is likely going to have a mil or more invested in decks and an ass load of headware to boot in SRIII, in SR4 hacking is a much easier task and can be more easily handled by mages or non-deckers. Not to mention the rigger class is gone.

One point the, KK, if I remember correctly in SRIII, using magic in the shadows, you could get a datajack and then take a single gause and be alright for the most part. Something simple like hand signs would probably work fine. I don't hate SR4, I just think it's broken in some aspect. I'd suggest anyone running SR4 invest in house rules. That's what i'm doing.
Cthulhudreams
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Sep 3 2007, 05:37 PM)
I never had issues with Johnson's being walked all over as they were in SR4 because for one thing, there were no elementals which could sustain Health spells on a character in SRIII.  That made a huge difference in 4th ed.  Now you have that elf face adept with a 12 Charisma 5 negotiation, 5 Kinesics, +2 improved ability, First Impression Quality against the mundane J who has a 5 charisma 5 negotiations and  maybe the First Impression quality.

This strikes me as a bit silly.

Look at from the corp perspective - I don't send you out with a bottomless expense budget. I (the black ops line manager) assign an expense budget, you (The johnson) work with it. If pretty boy elf won't work with the expense budget, he doesn't get the job.

And whats more, if the johnson does not keep some of the budget, he gets a bad performance review. In the rest of the company thats not a problem, you get put in a remedial program and maybe miss a promotion. However, this is black ops, and they have a strict performance plan for dealing with people who don't uphold the companies end of the deal - and if you don't improve while on the performance review you are going to get killed. Or assigned to investigate mana storms in australia. either way, same outcome.

Therefore Johnsons arn't going to walk into the trap over and over. For starters there is a fixed upper limit on budgets that the johnson cannot exceed without authorizations form his manager - which he is never going to ask for unless he really has to, to avoid losing face with the boss. Even asking for it once in a year means you are going to get put on the performance review plan if the controller gets involved. Asking twice in one year? That means the black ops controller will get personally involved, which will then end your career. Thus he isn't going to do it. Non negioatible. Secondly, the team is going to get a rep as 'expensive' and 'low value' and won't get the jobs.

Whats more, the thumbscrews are going to get put on both the fixer that recommends them and the johnsons that are hiring them to keep down the expenses budget. Why are we dealing with these clowns who charge through the nose but don;t do top shelf stuff.

So really no-one is going to want to deal with the team because they cannot get something done that suits everyone. Now this is a co-operative storytelling game so your not just going to screw the team, but you can start putting longer downtime between jobs, and start escalating the danger levels for the same fixed budget range - as people are only coming around when they cannot get anyone else to do it. Drop some subtle hints via the fixers 'Man, everyone seems to think you guys are really expensive low value adding talent, Mr J keeps saying you guys cost to much!' and go from there.
dog_xinu

I dont agree. They just made the rules more streamlined. Elementals are not uber powerful and doesnt take horrible effort to get one. The difficulty is now equal and so it the power level.

we had this in SR2/SR3 but it was just a little uglier.

...wireless everything.

Not everything is. BY default it is but people can still hardwire stuff.

there will always be min/maxing. even on the dreaded D20 DnD has min/maxing. min/maxing is what players do with their characters. Some players try to minimize their min/maxing but it is hard to make a kick butt character when you dont.

...all the cool toys we all came to know & love suddenly gone until whatever new supplements they will be in are released.  Because of the mechanics change, previous sourcebooks were useless.

I bet most of them will be back with the new rules. some wont. if you have to have the stuff from SR3, play SR3.

no! no! no! it is an ACTIVE skill. It is something you have to do.

...the whole Initiative mechanic.  In the past someone with 1d6 of initiative still had a chance for 2 IPs.

yeah everyone only has 1 IP unless they get cyberware/bioware/magic to give them additional. So faster init is not the only factor. The number of passed is another factor. It makes it more well balanced.

Now we can sit down and "debate" the good points and bad points of any game system or any edition of a game system, and we can find things that we dont like. Some of the points you made you made them to be out as a bad thing where I see them as a good things. Just differences of opinions.

I have played all the editions. Have most of 1st, all of 2nd and 3rd, and I *personally* think that 4th is the better version. I had to play it a little while before I came to that conclusions.

dog
Cthulhudreams
QUOTE (dog_xinu)
there will always be min/maxing. even on the dreaded D20 DnD has min/maxing. min/maxing is what players do with their characters. Some players try to minimize their min/maxing but it is hard to make a kick butt character when you dont.

Or you could make a game with no bad choices at character creation! wink.gif

That pretty much eliminates min maxing nyahnyah.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (dog_xinu)

no! no! no! it is an ACTIVE skill. It is something you have to do.

No, it is a Physical Skill (as in the category). You can even get a Reflex Recorder for it.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Cthulhudreams)
...Look at from the corp perspective - I don't send you out with a bottomless expense budget. I (the black ops line manager) assign an expense budget, you (The johnson) work with it. If pretty boy elf won't work with the expense budget, he doesn't get the job.
< snip >

...your points are well put and echo responses to the same concern I had expressed in past threads relating to this very topic.

I have since adopted a lot of these suggestions.

At the time this was getting out of hand it revolved around a single player who had abused the magic and adept system to the Nth degree. The character in question was a control/social mystic adept who used a Spirit of Man to boost her already obscene Charisma. It was either escalate the conflict (which didn't work) or throw up the hands and give her the top price just to keep things moving along for the other players. The thing is this same player also was in my old SRIII campaign with a similar type of character and never was able to pull off the level of stuff she did in 4th ed.

One of the downsides of your last suggestion is that the team doesn't accept the offer and walks. Basically the game session is over and everyone just wasted their time getting all their stuff ready and travelling to the location where the game was held. This was a distinct possibility I faced and personally I was not into doing all the prep work and drag myself halfway across town only to pack everything up after 15 minutes and go home. So it usually came down to cave into (and feed the ego of) the one player so the other players had a mission to go on, or have the Johnson stick to his offer & pack everything in when the team's spokesperson declines the offer.

Yes this was a player issue, but one that I feel was precipitated by the way the mechanics were set up.

Suffice to say, this particular situation has since been resolved.
Fortune
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Sep 4 2007, 04:33 PM)
One of the downsides of your last suggestion is that the team doesn't accept the offer and walks.  Basically the game session is over and everyone just wasted their time getting all their stuff ready and travelling to the location where the game was held.  This was a distinct possibility I faced and personally I was not into doing all the prep work and drag myself halfway across town only to pack everything up after 15 minutes and go home.

See, I don't get this. I've had my groups turn down jobs all the time, and it doesn't ever spell the end of the gaming session. All it means is that I have to do some stuff on the fly, or better yet, have the players (and their characters) set the direction of the game. Even if worst comes to worst and I can't think of anything, some kind of social situation and/or shopping trip would work. Anything but end the session prematurely.
kzt
QUOTE (Fortune)
See, I don't get this. I've had my groups turn down jobs all the time, and it doesn't ever spell the end of the gaming session. All it means is that I have to do some stuff on the fly, or better yet, have the players (and their characters) set the direction of the game.

We've turned down only a very few across a series of campaigns. The only one I can think was one where it just didn't smell right, in the Tir. I can't remember if we didn't take it at the meet or if we returned the money and walked away. We were later told it was to be a hosejob, so we were glad.

And there is the after the failed meet scene when everyone is sitting around talking when "Come out with your hands up, we have you surrounded" comes over the PA system. . .
Irian
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Sep 4 2007, 01:33 AM)
One of the downsides of your last suggestion is that the team doesn't accept the offer and walks.  Basically the game session is over and everyone just wasted their time getting all their stuff ready and travelling to the location where the game was held.  This was a distinct possibility I faced and personally I was not into doing all the prep work and drag myself halfway across town only to pack everything up after 15 minutes and go home.

Sorry, that doesn't make sense to me. When I gmed, my players also declined some offers - some where only there to BE declined, but even if they declined a "good" job (meaning: One I had prepared) I would have never thought of going home at this point. Normaly I then used one of my backup jobs or improvised...
toturi
QUOTE (Cthulhudreams)
This strikes me as a bit silly.

Look at from the corp perspective - I don't send you out with a bottomless expense budget. I (the black ops line manager) assign an expense budget, you (The johnson) work with it. If pretty boy elf won't work with the expense budget, he doesn't get the job.

And whats more, if the johnson does not keep some of the budget, he gets a bad performance review. In the rest of the company thats not a problem, you get put in a remedial program and maybe miss a promotion. However, this is black ops, and they have a strict performance plan for dealing with people who don't uphold the companies end of the deal - and if you don't improve while on the performance review you are going to get killed. Or assigned to investigate mana storms in australia. either way, same outcome.

Therefore Johnsons arn't going to walk into the trap over and over. For starters there is a fixed upper limit on budgets that the johnson cannot exceed without authorizations form his manager - which he is never going to ask for unless he really has to, to avoid losing face with the boss. Even asking for it once in a year means you are going to get put on the performance review plan if the controller gets involved. Asking twice in one year? That means the black ops controller will get personally involved, which will then end your career. Thus he isn't going to do it. Non negioatible. Secondly, the team is going to get a rep as 'expensive' and 'low value' and won't get the jobs.

Whats more, the thumbscrews are going to get put on both the fixer that recommends them and the johnsons that are hiring them to keep down the expenses budget. Why are we dealing with these clowns who charge through the nose but don;t do top shelf stuff.

So really no-one is going to want to deal with the team because they cannot get something done that suits everyone. Now this is a co-operative storytelling game so your not just going to screw the team, but you can start putting longer downtime between jobs, and start escalating the danger levels for the same fixed budget range - as people are only coming around when they cannot get anyone else to do it. Drop some subtle hints via the fixers 'Man, everyone seems to think you guys are really expensive low value adding talent, Mr J keeps saying you guys cost to much!' and go from there.

Look at it from a game mechanic point of view. The roll ensures that the Johnson sucks it up and takes the fall. All the negative aspects of the result of the roll should already be factored into the roll itself. If the negotiator wins despite the negative modifiers these negative repercussions would produce, then the Johnson sucks it up. It is not the pretty elf boy won't work within the budget, it is the pretty elf boy convinced you that the budget is too small and it is unworkable. Since you have been convinced, you get the short end of the stick to work it so that the pretty elf boy gets his nuyen and you get your job done.

If "you" don't want to walk over the trap again and again, then I suggest "you" take a dive off the tallest building because "you" obviously cannot take the stress. Secondly, because it was "you" who lost the roll, the streets(fixers, other Johnsons, etc) is going to take the point of view that it is either your corp is cheapskate or "you" are, any ill effects would be such that "you" are left holding the bag, not the runners. So win that roll.
Irian
Personally, I wouldn't allow that a simple roll makes the target brainless smile.gif Even if the Johnson succeds very well, the Runners will NOT work for free... So, I would rule that there are limits: A very good negotiation result will make the Johnson go to his limit - but he will not use more than his budget is, simply because he is not allowed to do so. At the very best, he will call his boss and ask.
toturi
QUOTE (Irian)
Personally, I wouldn't allow that a simple roll makes the target brainless smile.gif Even if the Johnson succeds very well, the Runners will NOT work for free... So, I would rule that there are limits: A very good negotiation result will make the Johnson go to his limit - but he will not use more than his budget is, simply because he is not allowed to do so. At the very best, he will call his boss and ask.

I don't suppose you allow people to get dead with 1 or 2 simple rolls either?
Irian
Please, show me the table where the threshold for "Convincing the Johnson to give you his suit" is shown. smile.gif

Sorry, but it's clear that combat kills. Look at the wars, it really happens. But social skills are no magic. There simply are limits - unless you use a spell. How often does it happen, that professional negotiators (Glithces excluded) pay more money than they have?
Or do you allow to negotiate "Please, commit suicide!"? If the Johnson looses, he takes the suicide pill? smile.gif

But let's make it short: Please, show me the page in the rule books where the threshold for such actions is given. As long as you can't do that, common sense must suffice.
toturi
I'll do that as soon as you show me where RAW states that there is a limit. Common sense tells me that if the rules do not state a limit, there isn't one. As long as you cannot do that, common sense simply cannot suffice.
Irian
So you really think, there is no limit? That's fine for you, then have fun playing in a group where it's possible to negotiate the Johnson into stripping and making out with the troll bouncer before commiting suicide.

Sorry, of course there ARE limits. That's not even common sense, that's simply reality. We can argue about where the limits are, ok, but not about IF there are limits.

Same thing as with guns: There are limits you don't need to mention. You can vaporize someone with a (normal) heavy pistol, no matter if you got 1 or 10.000 hits. You can kill one for good, sure, but even with 10.000 hits you can't hit the ZĂĽrich Orbital with a Hold-out. Limits. Simple. You can argue where the limits are, but normaly you can always define something, that's clearly outside the limits.
Blade
QUOTE (toturi)
I don't suppose you allow people to get dead with 1 or 2 simple rolls either?

Not if the only part of the body that could have been hit is a finger.

Some spells or adepts power can lead to negociation magic with very powerful results ("yes sir, I will now kill myself").
Some very good persuasion techniques can lead to interesting results but might require more time and need to have some consistency.

An example comes to my mind: the runner is caught naked and heavily wounded, his arm tied behind his back by a security guard who happens to be the brother of another guard he just killed. He wants the guard to free him and give him his weapon. With manipulation spells and some adept powers (such as commanding voice), it's possible to get him to do it.
Without that, it seems impossible... But it is.

A really convincing runner (with pheromones, kinesics, high charisma, etc.) can for example tell the guard that the rest of his team is arriving and that the guard can get away with his wounded brother, saving both their lives. It won't be easy to convince the guard, but the negative modifiers and the threshold should reflect that. If the runner succeeds, the guard will be convinced... or at least he'll check if the runner said the truth.

But in that situation, I don't see how the runner could be able to convince the guard (we'll suppose the guard is sane) to kill himself without any mind control. That's what I'd compare to killing someone by shooting one finger. A strict application of the rule will consider it possible, but that's another reason why we have GM instead of computers (or zombies).
toturi
QUOTE (Irian)
So you really think, there is no limit? That's fine for you, then have fun playing in a group where it's possible to negotiate the Johnson into stripping and making out with the troll bouncer before commiting suicide.

Sorry, of course there ARE limits. That's not even common sense, that's simply reality. We can argue about where the limits are, ok, but not about IF there are limits.

Same thing as with guns: There are limits you don't need to mention. You can vaporize someone with a (normal) heavy pistol, no matter if you got 1 or 10.000 hits. You can kill one for good, sure, but even with 10.000 hits you can't hit the ZĂĽrich Orbital with a Hold-out. Limits. Simple. You can argue where the limits are, but normaly you can always define something, that's clearly outside the limits.

Why the hell can't you hit Zurich Orbital with a Hold Out with 10000 hits? The limits are clearly stated in the book. The limits, if there are, are already clearly stated. No, that isn't reality. That's reality in real life. But reality in SR is defined by its rules. And there's no limit.

You keep thinking real life when you should be thinking Shadowrun when talking about Shadowrun rules.
Irian
You're wrong. As long the shadowrun rules do not cover the game reality 100% (and they never will, because they never can), there will always be things that aren't possible, even if there's no rule forbidding it. Rules are almost never complete and never ever perfect. That's why we have GMs. Or are GMs.

But that's fine, simply play the way you want and let's agree on disagreeing.
Draconis
QUOTE (toturi)

Why the hell can't you hit Zurich Orbital with a Hold Out with 10000 hits? The limits are clearly stated in the book. The limits, if there are, are already clearly stated. No, that isn't reality. That's reality in real life. But reality in SR is defined by its rules. And there's no limit.

You keep thinking real life when you should be thinking Shadowrun when talking about Shadowrun rules.

Ok those lines scare me. Uh the rules can't and don't define every last thing. Otherwise you'd have rule books that are multi volume encylopedias. A little common sense goes a long way.
Why not start flying around and walking through walls? The book doesn't say you can't.
hobgoblin
levitate spell, ghosts, spirits and projecting mages?
Mr. Croup
Well if you're going By The Book then you wouldn't be able to hit Zurich Orbital with a hold out pistol even with a billion squillion (that's a number, really!) hits - it's outside the 50m extreme range of a hold out pistol (assuming you were firing from sea level).

Taking the rules to be absolutely ironclad is not a sensible approach in my mind, there are simply things that the rules system cannot either account for or was never thought about in the first place. Limitations should be there, in game, combined with common sense, or else i get to spend three days chipping away at skyscrapers foundations with a toothpick to destroy one corp facility on the third floor - unrealistic and just plain stoopid.
Draconis
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Sep 4 2007, 09:35 AM)
levitate spell, ghosts, spirits and projecting mages?

You know I was seriously waiting for that. Gee I never considered that sparky, I play a mage every damn week.
I'm not in the mood so i'll let it slide, you know what I meant.
Crusher Bob
Consider the sharp con man (9 dice) vs the yokel, defaulting from Cha 2, so rolling 1 die. Can the con man convince the yokel to trade his cow for magic beans? If we bump the con man to 10 dice (so he's quite good) that gives him a 9 dice advantage over the yokel. Now here's the problem, if we compare the con man to the pronomancer (with 24 dice), the pornomancer has more of advantage over the con man than the con man had over the yokel.

So you want the con man to be able to bilk the yokel out of his cow, the pornormancer should be able to bilk the con man just as easily.
Mr. Croup
But no where in the rules does it expressively not permit a mundane character from walking through walls or flying around without the use of magic - so why bother with spells and spirits?

No - it's common sense that joe mundane can't walk through walls or fly - we take that for granted as much as we do breathing. So why can't that common sense be used elsewhere with the rules as well?
Cthulhudreams
I don't get people who don't think that 'talking to people' should have real rational limits.

If the johnson is going to get *Shot in the face* if he engages in action XYZ he.. isn;t going to do it.

Or do you think that the elf can persuade security guards to commit suicide by walking up and saying "you know, it would be a really awesome idea if you just killed yourself now"

Crazy cults aside (that incidentally take months/years of conditioning and isolation when it works in real life!) that sort of shit just doesn't happen.

But hey if you want to go into rules discussions in that the rule doesn't provide any limits - it also doesn't say what happens when you suceed with that negotiation check either.

So whats going to happen is the Johnson is going to see the elfs perspective, settle for an average performance review instead of a great one and up the ante by 1:nuyen: wink.gif

And then blacklist them as 'not suckers'
toturi
QUOTE (Mr. Croup)
But no where in the rules does it expressively not permit a mundane character from walking through walls or flying around without the use of magic - so why bother with spells and spirits?

No - it's common sense that joe mundane can't walk through walls or fly - we take that for granted as much as we do breathing. So why can't that common sense be used elsewhere with the rules as well?

Because there are rules for magic to walk through walls and fly around, then you could assume that the joe mundane cannot do such without. An induction if you will, no common sense required.
Irian
Sorry, but "If A, then B" doesn't allow you to conclude "If not A, then not B".

"If you're a mage, you can do it" does NOT say "If you're not a mage, you can't do it."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012