Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2011 or 2012
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Zhan Shi
SR uses the 2011 date. However, various books and TV programs I have seen say that the new age on the Mayan calendar is 2012. Still other books/TV programs also say 2011. Anyone got the straight info on this?
Jaid
iirc, the specific date is in december.

it is therefore not unreasonable to suppose that there are 2 different ways of calculating the date (or more) and that one of them results in the day being in a different year as a result (for example, depending on who you trust, Christ was supposed to have been born in anywhere from -1 to -4 BC iirc... might have gone into the ADs as well... different scholars came up with different years. as i recall, the -1 BC (note that there is no 0 AD or BC, for the record, and that 1 AD is 1 year after the birth of Christ if memory serves correctly) was the earliest year they figured out, and it ended up getting used.

so there you have it, scholars aren't even entirely sure if *our* method of keeping track of the date is accurate... i could certainly see how there'd be uncertainty in the calendars of a culture that hasn't really been around for a long, long time =P
Draconis
2012. See how easy that was. Move along citizen. smile.gif
Fortune
Pick your favorite translation. wink.gif
mfb
i've seen 2012 a lot more frequently than 2011.
TonkaTuff
In our universe, the date works out to be 2012 more often than not. But in the SR universe, it's basically been decided that the 5th Sun died in 2011. Maybe they actually had a Year 0 CE in the Shadowrun universe. Or their archaeologists had help translating the numbers from someone who was actually there when the calandar was set in stone. Or, like with all the other predictions and prophecies that have ever written been down, they conveniently re-interpreted the texts to match reality and said it'd been like that the whole time.
Draconis
Maybe the Mayans set a date for 2011 but because of budget concerns, cost overruns, and the change of ownership the world can't be altered until 2012.
Draconis
QUOTE (Fortune)
Pick your favorite translation. wink.gif

Ok since you insist, it's the translation of "Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam."

That would be my favorite.
Ol' Scratch
The first real signs started showing up at the end of 2011, but it wasn't "officially" the Sixth World until 2012. Best of both worlds.
Fortune
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Best of both worlds.

Midnight Oil. smile.gif
Buster
QUOTE (Draconis)
Maybe the Mayans set a date for 2011 but because of budget concerns, cost overruns, and the change of ownership the world can't be altered until 2012.

LOL.
Redjack
I was at Xunantunich in Belize and Kohunlich in Mexico last year.
The local Mayans and guides say 2012. I'll take that as definitive.
Fortune
Most people say 2012. I prefer 2011, because I have a better chance of living till then. biggrin.gif
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Buster)
QUOTE (Draconis @ Sep 7 2007, 05:14 AM)

LOL.

...seconded.
Zhan Shi
My gut says that this story has already been covered. But just in case..........

news.discovery.com/space/the-2012-mayan-calendar-doomsday-date-might-be-wrong.html
CanRay
I don't care as long as it doesn't interfere with O'Beer-Thirty.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Zhan Shi @ Nov 2 2010, 11:02 PM) *
My gut says that this story has already been covered. But just in case..........

news.discovery.com/space/the-2012-mayan-calendar-doomsday-date-might-be-wrong.html

Yeah, it doesn't help when the people involved in the translations can't agree.

-k
TBRMInsanity
IIRC way back in SR 2e it states that the Awakening occurred on the 31 Dec 2011 just before midnight. This would mean that 2011 or 2012 is correct.
MK Ultra
I think the official date in SR was always Dec. 24th 2011, when the Christmas-Dragon apeared over Mt. Fuji (Some call him SantaRyu). I like 2011 better then 2012, cuz then it´s the Awakening´s 50th Aniversary, when Halley´s Comet passes by - That´s half of the 'Year of the Comet'-Crazynes - Fun Strange Days wink.gif
BookWyrm
Here's an idea. Have a party on Dec. 24th 2011 & the same date in 2012. That way, whatever happens, it's still a party.
MJBurrage
It is established canon in Shadowrun that the Sixth World began on 24 December 2011. This date uses the awakening of dragons as the threshold, but there was an awakened creature as early as 2000 AD, and various metahumans did not return until after 2011.

Magic is not like a light switch (on or off) it is like a tide with a period of (according to Ehran the Scribe) 3,743,240 days (~10248.6 years). This means that, according to Ehran, a "World" has an average length of ~5124.3 years with the Fifth World being 1,871,270 days and the Sixth World predicted to be 1,871,970 days.

In real life, the interpretation of the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar, that is currently the most accepted, puts the duration of a "World" at 1,872,000 days (~5125.4 years) with the date for current calender cycle to end as 21 December 2012.

P.S. see "Humans and the Cycle of Magic" for more detail.

P.P.S. Two interesting notes:
  • According to Hopi and Maya mythology, we are currently in the Fourth World, while the Aztecs believed we are currently in the Fifth World. (I.E. Shadowrun uses the Maya calendar, with the Aztec names).
  • Five Mesoamerican worlds have a duration essentially equal to one precession of the equinoxes.
CanRay
QUOTE (BookWyrm @ Nov 3 2010, 09:37 AM) *
Here's an idea. Have a party on Dec. 24th 2011 & the same date in 2012. That way, whatever happens, it's still a party.

Party like it's 1999?
Mr. Mage
I had always thought SR said 2010... I may have misread that however, but it has always made me curious when everyone else on DS says 2012 or 2011. I'll have to find where I thought it said 2010.

EDIT: I just looked it up. 2010 was the first outbreak of VITAS, which is right before the Awakening section in the SR4A introduction.
Method
I thought it all started with Y2K when computers all over the world crashed due to a simple programing oversight... biggrin.gif
BookWyrm
QUOTE (CanRay @ Nov 3 2010, 01:41 PM) *
Party like it's 1999?

Party like it's the end of the (Fifth) world. rotfl.gif
Snow_Fox
3rd ed "It came to pass" said December 24 2011. that's only a week until 2012 so you get the first stuff moving there and then it's 2012. The problem with the mayan calander is their math. they ket forgetting to carry the 9.
TheScrivener
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Nov 3 2010, 08:18 AM) *
Yeah, it doesn't help when the people involved in the translations can't agree.

-k

Taking disagreement in a scholarly discipline as evidence the whole field is wrong is tricksy, though. That said, the end of the calendar cycle isn't nearly as important to the Mayans as it's been talked up to be. I haven't read anything saying it's anything but arbitrary.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012