Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Under Siege
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Dim Sum)
Bloody hell, Kage!! eek.gif I don't know whether I'm more intrigued by the idea of running a campaign for you or flee the planet! biggrin.gif

*Grins* I aim to please.

~J
Siege
*ROFLMAO*

I was wondering what the hell Dim Sum had been smoking.

Anyway, yes: it would take some massive killing to eliminate the crew to allow your pirates to run the ship.

I don't even want to guess at the required skeleton crew to run a ship under emergency conditions.

Any hint of something hinky and you'd best be prepared to deal with at least one SEAL team (or the relative equivelant thereof). It's the HOKYAG contingency: Hang On, Kiss Your Ass Goodbye.

The big question is: what the frag are you going to do with the ship once you snare it? Catching something and keeping it are two entirely different matters.

-Siege
Dim Sum
Hehehe, Siege, I don't smoke. The weed available here in Singapore is atrocious and my wife would kill me if she smelled it on me! biggrin.gif

On to your mail ... yep, hanging on to the ship is a whole different ballgame after you've seized it. Hence my earlier post asking "What next?" assuming you took the ship to sell on to another buyer, especially the missile armaments on board (nuclear warheads?).

I figured you'd need at least 4-5 riggers to operate the vessel as a skeleton crew if enough of the systems are automated: 1 to pilot the ship, 1-3 to monitor system operations, and 1 to crew the weapons.

Sail the sucker to a remote hideout or direct to the buyer.
Siege
That's the catch, isn't it?

I'm not sure what the US Navy's protocol is for losing contact with a ship, but I'm thinking it would be unpleasent, even by 2060 standards.

They might as well just stick to liberating cargo from unsuspecting ships and similarly soft targets.

Besides, it would be tough to sell parts of US navy ships without having the parts traced back..."These are the droids we're looking for..."

-Siege
Dim Sum
I've skimmed through the USN protocols for losing contact with a vessel and it struck me then as it does still that the reaction is pretty slow (lots of checks have to be made, reports go up the ladder, decisions come back down, more checks are made, then assets are tasked to try to locate the missing vessel). I realise the Navy does want to MAKE SURE in the first place that a ship is missing and I guess the reaction is time is comparatively fast relative to the size of such a monolithic organisation but it's usually a good 36-48 hours before anything is really done about it and then it takes time for assets to be re-directed to a SAR operation. I figure hijackers have about 72 hours before the heat gets a little unbearable, depending on where in the world they hit the ship.

As for selling the vessel and her armaments, I envision selling the vessel to people who don't care about pissing off the UCAS in any case (like rebel forces, terrorists, corps with enough money to hide/use the ship but not enough or not sanctioned to buy one from the military contractor). I don't really see ANY runner group hanging to such a vessel no matter how good they are - too expensive to maintain and operate for one, and just waaaaaay too dangerous to hold on to for another. I also don't envision selling off parts of the ship for the very reason you put forward in your mail - the risk of it being traced by the navy would significantly negate the value of individual components (eg. using the Tico-class CGs: the SPY radar system, the turbine engines, the AIWS, the VLS launchers without which the tomahawks can't be launched, etc.). No, you'd sell the ship as a whole.

These complications are why my first choice when I was playing in my buddy's game was to hijack an SSN or SSBN - easier to use such a platform and easier to hide so even if you don't sell it, you can still use it as runners. biggrin.gif
Kagetenshi
The problem with selling to a corp not legally allowed to have them is that then you're a major potential liability, and a quickly-eliminated one at that.

~J
Dim Sum
That's true enough, Kage. But I guess the question then is whether or not it's worth the risk to pull off such a job. There are a lot of potential loose ends (like other runners you need to hire to do the job shooting their mouths off or getting picked up by the authorities) but the pay-off may be VERY worth your time and efforts. Even if you sell the ship (armaments and all) CHEAP for, say, nuyen.gif 250 mil and you managed to pull it off with a 25-man team, that's nuyen.gif 10 mil a piece ....
Dim Sum
Of course, you don't have to sell the ship. You might seize it to effect other purposes. For example, you could approach the Yucatan rebels and offer to aid them for a small sum of nuyen.gif 250 mil to fire 40 missiles at a target of their choice. If the ship was carrying nuclear warheads, can you imagine the clout that would suddenly give the rebels or just how much damage they could do to their enemies.

Naturally, you'd have to be a pretty cold-hearted SOB to even consider firing nukes at whatever targets designated by the rebels but then, you aim to please, don't you? grinbig.gif biggrin.gif grinbig.gif
Kagetenshi
Well, I wouldn't fire at ANY target...
Just any target that isn't my hometown or upwind of it.

~J
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Dim Sum)
I'd go with killing the crew to be safest

safest in terms of mission success, yes.

safest in terms of blowback, as you note, maybe not... Could we set them adrift in lifeboats or something? Maybe drug them, and stick 'em in those life jackets that force your head to stay above water?

edit> I see Flak is ahead of me on this one.

Kagetenshi
Again, still not safest. You'll get hunted down anyway, but killing them will force a certain style of hunt.
If you can Control Thoughts some crewmember frontmen to take a fall, so much the better. Your best bet may be to dump the sub and then allow the public to have their revenge on a set of patsies.

~J
Lilt
I agree that comms are a priority, but remember that the main ship's comms aren't going to be the only comms. Lifeboats will probably have emergency radios good for broadcasting to the shore, so too will any aircraft (AFAIK even fairly small craft have heli-pads). You need to either jam it with a massive jammer (the effects of which may even be felt back on the shore) or ensure to take every comm system out physically. What you want is a high-force extended area-effect "radio silence" spell...

I repeat that subs would be your best bet. They are expected to maintain radio silence, and there are probably going to be less comm systems that can reach the shore, so the loss of the sub isn't going to go noticed until it fails to turn-up back at port (which may take months).Finding the sub would be the problem. Putting a tracer in the sub would be your best bet. Ritual tracking or ritual locate-person (targeting a member of the crew) would also be perfect.
Birdy
Some more ideas:

Ship in distress

IIRC naval ships will help those in distress (exspecially their own citizens). And if that wreck of yours is sinking, they'll have to take you aboart. Sure, they'll closely guard you but there are at least some of you on board. Now use:

The Marines

Or whatever they are called. They are part of yet distinct from the crew. And they require far less knowledge to impersonate[1]. On smaller ships this is a 20-40 person group. Maybe they all (or at least some persons) can be replaced. Chance is, the end up guarding group I. Now you have weapons.

Buy a warship

Old ships are sold (often for "scrap") Get yourself credentials as a minor nation/scrap wharfs and try to buy an old warship. Sure, you'll get a Class 124/OHP/Krivat/... class near-wreck. Still with some fresh paint it will be enough to scare the hell out of the average fighter. Even a WWII destroyer will be sufficient.

Sink the ship

If you are only after the weapons, you might just kill the warship resonable close to coast (luring it there by a MayDay?) and salvage the weapons. After all, they are stored in a way that should minimize the dangers of explosion.

Steal a relict

Some nations keep old warships "in reserve" yet on open display (i.e. the Brits have a WWII cruiser at the tower brigde). Sure, those a oooold craft and it will take some work to get them at least partially filled up. But IIRC the brits still check the engines occassionaly and keep the ship "potentially seaworthy". An 5inch main guns are the third best thing for piracy[2]

Michael

[1] Average Sammy-Boy is closer to an infantrieman than a soldier. And soldier skills are easier to learn on the required level (you don't need fieldcraft etc for this job)

[2] The second best are 15cm main guns. The best are 15cm secondary guns...
Buzzed
Illusions could aid greatly in this effort. A boat load of ritual mages could probobly muster up enough power together to create a massive fog illusion to encapsulate the entire ship. Add some illusions of cabin fires and big mean sea creatures for added fun. Later on, distract the crew by setting up illusions on their radar, sonar, and sat image screens. eek.gif
nezumi
QUOTE (Birdy)
Steal a relict

Some nations keep old warships "in reserve" yet on open display (i.e. the Brits have a WWII cruiser at the tower brigde). Sure, those a oooold craft and it will take some work to get them at least partially filled up. But IIRC the brits still check the engines occassionaly and keep the ship "potentially seaworthy". An 5inch main guns are the third best thing for piracy[2]

The Constellation is in harbor in Baltimore, totally unguarded. I'm sure with a crew of a dozen men you could get away with it.

Of course, the Constellation is also kept afloat because its one of the first ships the U.S. Navy ever had. "Old Ironsides" is a tall boat and I'm pretty sure the cannons aren't quite functional any more. I'd like to see the rigger try to jack into that one... But it would make for a very cool run!
Pavlov
Hell, if you want a non-Riggerable comissioned target go for the U.S.S. Constitution in Boston nyahnyah.gif
Lilt
Another idea is to get a great-form storm spirit to conjure-up a storm around the target. I'm pretty sure a nasty storm would minimise the chance of people in the water surviving (waves ETC beating them against the hull of the ship) even without resorting to storm strikes, and would probably also help the jamming effort.

Big swells & electrical storms would soften the crew a bit (& keep them in-doors) for whatever assault you're mounting. With all the crew in-doors; a small team (2 or 3 ppl), guarded & concealed by a spirit of the same force or higher, should be able to get on-board during the storm and sabotage stuff.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Dim Sum @ Nov 21 2003, 09:20 AM)
I figure hijackers have about 72 hours before the heat gets a little unbearable, depending on where in the world they hit the ship.

I should think such checks and communication attempts, as well as the relay of information and orders within the Navy, would happen quicker in 2063. With the kind of C&C gear that will be used by Navies by then, they can probably check the status of their own ships a lot faster than that.

It might still take the 24-48 hours to order someone to do something about it, but the technical side of the thing should happen a lot quicker.
Backgammon
Maybe stealing a pirate ship would be easier. Have someone get recruited by the pirate crew (quicker than getting in the Navy), and then unleash a tailored virus or nannites to kill everyone within minutes.

Or you could enlist the aid of a dragon. Or Harlequin. Maybe he owes you for saving the world at some point.
Lilt
QUOTE (Backgammon)
Or you could enlist the aid of a dragon. Or Harlequin. Maybe he owes you for saving the world at some point.

rotfl.gif

The scary thing is that it may even be true in some groups. By the time that a group of characters are powerful enough to consider it; they may well have rubbed-shoulders with the big shots. It depends on the GM's style, of-course.

I tend to relate some of what the PCs do to the plot, they just don't always know it. They were once hired to recover a fragment of Halley's comet. They didn't know what that the small bit of rock was, it wasn't even magical (aside from a bit of background count).
FlakJacket
Quick question, are you only considering UCAS ships? Unless they've got something that no-one else has, why not rip someone off that has less of a reach to come after you? IIRC, Rigger 3 mentions that the Canton Confederation in what used to be China bought six new Soohong-class destroyers for something like 250 million a piece.

I figure they're worth more than enough to make a good profit out of. Plus, they're likely to have less crew, less defences and possibly not even any Marines like a Tico would. Add in the fact that the CC has less resources to track you and the mess Asia has become, and finding a place to hide out and buyers shouldn't be a problem. smile.gif
Kagetenshi
It's more fun to steal from the UCAS.

~J
Rasta Rigger
Ok i just happened across this thread and I don't understand a few things.
for context, I presently serve aboard a US aircraft carrier.

1 why would you want the damn thing.
its only use is to carry an air wing, as a conventional warship its crap.
As a pirate vessel, there are several small guided missile patrol craft that would be much more useful and much easier to hide and evade capture.
The chinese houdong fast attack craft is armed with two saccade anti ship missiles and can be a threat to ships as large as a carrier.

2 if you want the equipment then you would need to capture it with the air wing aboard. thats about 5000 perssonel to subvert or subdue.
3 a really powerful mage with a mass mind control spell is the best bet there, tho I dont think its possible.

4 only the wealthiest first world countries have carriers and thats probly not going to change. The US who has a bunch has demonstrated that they will not ransom captured ships. which is why Korea ( thats from memory I think its korea) still has one of ours.

4 the oliver hazard perry class FFG is not the smallist ship in Nav inventory there are smaller coastal patrol boats and minelayers and of course the Seals have several small go fasts including their RHIB.

Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Rasta Rigger)
which is why Korea ( thats from memory I think its korea) still has one of ours.

more info please.

kthnx
FlakJacket
Speaking of small, yet decidedly deadly ships, something like the Israeli Eilat Sa'ar 5's might be worth a look as well. Small, stealthy, packs a punch and clocks in with only 70 or so crew-members. Sounds like a winner to me. smile.gif Of course, the Israeli's do tend to have a habit of getting a little tetchy about people messing with their stuff.
Crusher Bob
QUOTE (nezumi @ Nov 21 2003, 11:59 PM)
The Constellation is in harbor in Baltimore, totally unguarded.  I'm sure with a crew of a dozen men you could get away with it.

Of course, the Constellation is also kept afloat because its one of the first ships the U.S. Navy ever had.  "Old Ironsides" is a tall boat and I'm pretty sure the cannons aren't quite functional any more.  I'd like to see the rigger try to jack into that one... But it would make for a very cool run!

That's CONSTITUTION. I also think there's a canon reference to a free spirit living there. I would assume that the cannons are long gone, but adding 10 or 20 trolls with assault cannon/great dragon ATGMs will do just fine silly.gif.
Kagetenshi
Do the trolls roll back into the wooden blocks when you fire them?

~J
moosegod
If you put cyberskates on them.
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
Speaking of small, yet decidedly deadly ships, something like the Israeli Eilat Sa'ar 5's might be worth a look as well. Small, stealthy, packs a punch and clocks in with only 70 or so crew-members. Sounds like a winner to me. smile.gif Of course, the Israeli's do tend to have a habit of getting a little tetchy about people messing with their stuff.

I dunno if I'd wanna mess with the Israeli's. They're pretty hardcore... frown.gif
snowRaven
1.Summon a shitload of Great Form Water Elementals, Sea Spirits, and Spirits of the Waves
2. Summon a shitload of Great Form Air Elementals, Wind Spirits, and Spirits if the Winds
3. Use Improved Invisibility and Levitate on the ship to move it to a more suitable location (yes, your TN is nasssssty on the levitate) and a major duty Jammer to prevent use of drones, radios, whatnots. Use spirits to protect the spells and the ship, and then once it is in a suitable location, have the elementals go in and sweep the ship, killing the crew.

Come to think of it, you might not need levitate - with enough water spirits using movement-power, shouldn't you be able to move the ship anyway? grinbig.gif

Or compose a better-than-top-notch Runner team for the job - which runners would you want/do you think 'could' pull it off? (note: Runners, so not Harlequin, Scale or any GDs)
mfb
Raskolnikov's character Telnet could do it. Rask, he's full of teh crazy when it comes to rigging and drones.
nezumi
Two quick comments...

Crusher Bob, you're probably right. My wife gets me on that every time we visit Baltimore. Think I'd learn already.

I know they have cannons around the ship, but most have been filled in. Even so, there isn't much they can do your autocannon can't.

Rasta, you're correct that there are smaller sea going vessels in the navy. But you said it yourself, there are smaller boats. A boat is not a ship (something grilled into me by my navy grandfather). I'm not sure where they draw the line, its pretty arbitrary. But its certainly possible the Perry is the smallest ship.
Nath
QUOTE ("FlakJacket")
Quick question, are you only considering UCAS ships? Unless they've got something that no-one else has, why not rip someone off that has less of a reach to come after you? IIRC, Rigger 3 mentions that the Canton Confederation in what used to be China bought six new Soohong-class destroyers for something like 250 million a piece.

I figure they're worth more than enough to make a good profit out of. Plus, they're likely to have less crew, less defences and possibly not even any Marines like a Tico would. Add in the fact that the CC has less resources to track you and the mess Asia has become, and finding a place to hide out and buyers shouldn't be a problem.

Rigger 3 page 21 though I don't think the price is given. The contract is signed in early 2061 so the ships may not be in duty in 2063. This being said the Canton Federation also have one or several medium air carriers in the 40-50,000 tons range, still according to Rigger 3 (page 107). And their navy is probably concentrated in a lot smaller area than the UCAS Navy. Between aircraft and the help Wuxing might give, and maybe some submarines (considering navy that maintain air carrier often have submarines too), it ain"t gonna become a cakewalk. some corp might not like the idea of a rogue destroyer somehwere between Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore...

Speaking of corps, PoaD says Atlantic Security provides "armed protection for ships". If that means they have military ships, there might be something to do since the Gunderson Corporation that owns Atlantic Sec is near bankruptcy in Threats 2.

QUOTE ("FlakJacket")
Speaking of small, yet decidedly deadly ships, something like the Israeli Eilat Sa'ar 5's might be worth a look as well. Small, stealthy, packs a punch and clocks in with only 70 or so crew-members. Sounds like a winner to me.  Of course, the Israeli's do tend to have a habit of getting a little tetchy about people messing with their stuff.

If you don't want to go after the Israeli toy, you can also opt for the Swedish Visby corvette. It packs a little less firepower but the crew is even lighter, 43 members. And the design is much more coooler biggrin.gif Then you have Skjold, a lot more faster. Of course in all those case it's 2000-tech, not 2060. So you can also wait a few years more for the US Navy to get its next destroyer with 95 crew-members. But we're back on messing with the UCAS Navy then.
Rasta Rigger
QUOTE (Shanshu Freeman @ Nov 22 2003, 12:36 AM)
QUOTE (Rasta Rigger @ Nov 22 2003, 12:12 AM)
which is why Korea ( thats from memory I think its korea) still has one of ours.

more info please.

kthnx

the USS Pueblo.
http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-usn/...nsh-p/ager2.htm
http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-usn/...h-p/ager2-k.htm

I was right its north Korea

they have her stuck up a river somewhere in north korea. Shes a kind of military museum now and a feather in the North korean govenment's cap.
Dim Sum
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
I should think such checks and communication attempts, as well as the relay of information and orders within the Navy, would happen quicker in 2063. With the kind of C&C gear that will be used by Navies by then, they can probably check the status of their own ships a lot faster than that.

It might still take the 24-48 hours to order someone to do something about it, but the technical side of the thing should happen a lot quicker.

A good point. Okay, call it a response time of 36-48 hours - tops.
Dim Sum
QUOTE (Lilt)
I repeat that subs would be your best bet. They are expected to maintain radio silence, and there are probably going to be less comm systems that can reach the shore, so the loss of the sub isn't going to go noticed until it fails to turn-up back at port (which may take months).Finding the sub would be the problem. Putting a tracer in the sub would be your best bet. Ritual tracking or ritual locate-person (targeting a member of the crew) would also be perfect.

I agree. My original plan during the campaign in which I played was to hijack a nuclear sub (preferably an SSN), which could be used by our team as a both an underwater transport and base of operations.

However, I got distracted by the thought of hijacking a modern naval surface vessel for profit. biggrin.gif

Hijacking a sub presents added complications of having to make the boat surface, something that nuclear subs don't do at sea except in emergencies or as part of their operational orders (RARELY!). I couldn't think of any other way of forcing a sub to the surface except the old Hunt for Red October trick and that would mean having to subvert key personnel on the boat.
Dim Sum
QUOTE (Buzzed)
Illusions could aid greatly in this effort. A boat load of ritual mages could probobly muster up enough power together to create a massive fog illusion to encapsulate the entire ship. Add some illusions of cabin fires and big mean sea creatures for added fun. Later on, distract the crew by setting up illusions on their radar, sonar, and sat image screens. eek.gif

Hehehe, yeah, that would be good ... if you could get a boat-load of mages together for the op. I was figuring with a team of only about 50-100 men out of which I might be lucky to get 4-5 Awakened individuals for magical support. Let's face it, it's always hard to get enough magicians for any op. smile.gif
BitBasher
Just IMHO, but honest to god there is not a countyr or megacorp, ANY country or megacorp, that wouldn't kill you on sight period, no questions asked for being in posession of a stolen nuclear submarine. Thats a global scale threat, not to who you stole it from, but to everyone on the planet.
Dim Sum
QUOTE (Backgammon)
Maybe stealing a pirate ship would be easier. Have someone get recruited by the pirate crew (quicker than getting in the Navy), and then unleash a tailored virus or nannites to kill everyone within minutes.

A pirate ship wouldn't be equipped with the latest, mostest and bestest (excuse the grammar) in electronic warfare suites and weapons, especially missiles with nuclear warheads.

We were playing experienced runners in a "low-level" kind of campaign where we had no connections to speak of with people like Harlequin, immortal elves, and dragons. We were just using our own initiative to up the stakes for ourselves.
Dim Sum
QUOTE (FlakJacket)

I figure they're worth more than enough to make a good profit out of. Plus, they're likely to have less crew, less defences and possibly not even any Marines like a Tico would. Add in the fact that the CC has less resources to track you and the mess Asia has become, and finding a place to hide out and buyers shouldn't be a problem. smile.gif

Thought about that, too, Flak, but I wanted a vessel carrying SOTA weapons, especially nukes, if we could get our hands on them. I guess I thought the Chinese navies wouldn't be carrying any (I reasoned that no warlord would allow such a balance of power to be concentrated in one warlord's hands). The other reason was that we were all playing characters without backgrounds that would give us any insight into affairs in the Far East so we had no contacts out there, no form of help, etc., to lay the foundations for such an op.
Siege
Any one Chinese warlord possessing nukes would either radically shift the balance of power or cement the balance of power.

Compare it to the middle East now -- Israel has nukes, nobody has invaded. However, Israel hasn't waged open war on it's neighbors either.

If Iran or Iraq had/has nukes, the scenario would be slanted the other way with neighbors being swallowed rather quickly.

-Siege
Dim Sum
QUOTE (Rasta Rigger)
Ok i just happened across this thread and I don't understand a few things. for context, I presently serve aboard a US aircraft carrier.

1 why would you want the damn thing.
its only use is to carry an air wing, as a conventional warship its crap. As a pirate vessel, there are several small guided missile patrol craft that would be much more useful and much easier to hide and evade capture.
The chinese houdong fast attack craft is armed with two saccade anti ship missiles and can be a threat to ships as large as a carrier.

2 if you want the equipment then you would need to capture it with the air wing aboard. thats about 5000 perssonel to subvert or subdue.

3 a really powerful mage with a mass mind control spell is the best bet there, tho I dont think its possible.

4 only the wealthiest first world countries have carriers and thats probly not going to change. The US who has a bunch has demonstrated that they will not ransom captured ships. which is why Korea ( thats from memory I think its korea) still has one of ours.

4 the oliver hazard perry class FFG is not the smallist ship in Nav inventory there are smaller coastal patrol boats and minelayers and of course the Seals have several small go fasts including their RHIB.

Hey, Rasta. Thanks for your comments. As I mentioned earlier, I abandoned the idea to capture a carrier - just not possible. For the kind of resources you'd have to dump into such an op, you might as well buy one. biggrin.gif

For the reasons given in one of previous posts, we didn't look at hitting any of the Far Eastern navies, like the Chinese. For pure profit, I agree with you: it would be easier to seize a small vessel, say, a Chinese missile corvette. But, such a ship would not be carrying land-attack missiles, which would be focus of the "clients" we had in mind (like rebel forces fighting in the Yucatan, for example, or an AA corp which needs a precision strike against a rival's facilities).
Dim Sum
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Just IMHO, but honest to god there is not a countyr or megacorp, ANY country or megacorp, that wouldn't kill you on sight period, no questions asked for being in posession of a stolen nuclear submarine. Thats a global scale threat, not to who you stole it from, but to everyone on the planet.

I would agree, Bit. One reason why I was targeting an SSN rather than an SSBN is that its loss would be easier to swallow for countries and megacorps since they don't carry ICBMs and don't constitute a first-strike delivery platform. Sure, an SSN is still a grave threat but there are pirates who are already armed with submarines so it wouldn't be a unique situation. Other pirates would be severely pissed-off and green with envy, too (and, if they had the resources, might come and hunt our asses down to try to capture the sub for themselves).

Since I had a different agenda with stealing the sub (I wanted to keep it rather than just use and dispose of like a surface vessel), the hit would have to go down differently. The possible way I can think of is to make people think the sub had been lost to an accident or scuttled to prevent a successful hijack a la The Hunt for Red October.
Dim Sum
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Do the trolls roll back into the wooden blocks when you fire them?

~J

rotfl.gif
nezumi
QUOTE (BitBasher)

You're right about that, but which country do you think would say 'hey, someone just stole such and such submarine over at these coordinates'. Certainly none that I know of. I'm not sure as to whether attack subs use 'clean' reactors or not (whether their fuel can be used to make a nuclear weapon). Even if they could, they can't deliver them except by literally driving into the harbor of your target coastal city. Beyond that, as far as I'm aware, an attack sub is only a threat to other seagoing vessels and a diplomacy problem if a US sub attacks a foreign convoy.

Right now I have little doubt that the United States would not report the theft of a submarine of any class, it would not tell anyone else if a given submarine has the ability to use nuclear weapons and would not reveal its location. That's all classified material and the U.S. has been reluctant to reveal that sort of information for much smaller, but sillier problems. The idea of an American sub attacking a ship of any nation is ridiculous (especially since, unless it surfaced, very few ships would be able to identify its nationality in the first place), and the US would probably prefer to diplomatically deny it than admit their great weapons are so easily stolen.

In regards to it providing a nuclear threat... I suspect the US would deal with it the same way they deal with terrorists who are possibly a nuclear threat, and that still doesn't involve sharing unnecessary information.

So your foreign destroyer which just picked up and identified an American sub on sonar wouldn't fire on sight. It would track the sub, gather information and, if the sub is within national waters perhaps try to claim it somehow. Firing upon a foreign ship during times of peace is a pretty big no-no.
BitBasher
But Shadowrun is not today, politically it's not even close. All they have to do was to pay a lump of cash to Ares or SK and say "Drop a Thor on these exact coordinates, right now". They hav to give no details, and situation resolved with no unnecessary publicity or media. This is the way I would have it handled in my game. There's some things you just cannot allow someone to do, especially involving a nuclear submarine.
nezumi
This is true, they'd contract it out to someone bigger who they can trust. I'm just saying that not every megacorp would shoot you down. Corp wars are probably less fun than wars between countries, so Aztechnology will only shoot at the Ares sub if they think there's profit in it for them and they can get away without Ares finding out about it. You'd only be shot on sight by people in the know.

BitBasher
I was referring to paying them to drop a thor on your own subthat was being hijacked, not someone else's. biggrin.gif
Herald of Verjigorm
Would you trust a random payment and set of coordinates without identifying that such an attack will not cost more in the long run than just one warhear?
gknoy
On taking a sub: (note, this is about how HARD it is, not on feasible ways to do it wink.gif)

QUOTE (Lilt)
Subs which, AFAIK, travel alone should be an easier target

It's a lot easier to find a surface vessel at sea than it is to find a sub. (see also: Hunt for Red October) Satellite tracking, etc -- great if you can see it, hard if it's underwater. I'm also sure that SR-era subs are even more stealthy than current best-breed submarines, due to the technology curve growth for detection (and the resulting arms-race of stealth tech).

I don't think that even the naval command has a good idea of where a sub is on patrol, more than a general "Oh, they're somewhere near section 2515...". So, your chances of being able to rig a rendezvous is Reaaaaaally slim. Couple that with the fact that no sub skipper in his right mind is likely to surface anywhere near another ship under normal circumstances.

However, that does sound more doable than taking a ship from port or within a battlegroup. wink.gif So, I'll assume that the team wants an SSN (as someone else said, a nuke-boat is generally ... a bad idea.) Thus, your initial objectives seem to be:

1) be able to FIND the ship, or arrange for it to go someplace prearranged.
2) be able to remove the ship's crew (life rafts, helicopter, elemental spirit ... smile.gif)
3) survive stealingthe ship: i.e., no one's gonna find/track/kill you.

Subs seem the best for #3 - since you can submerge and then pop up in some hidden grotto in the Caribbean or off the coast of Chile at your friendly neighborhood pirate chop-shop.

Removing the ship's crew (#2) seems relatively easy, if you have been able to infiltrate some agent or toxin or somesuch. Anything that eats oxygen is bueno, esp fire or some quick-acting oxidation reaction (I suppose). Fire spirits probably would work really well. If you do this underwater, they're unlikely to be able to get a distress call out, too... unless they have a rigger send a drone to the surface with an SOS -- hopefully your action would be swift enough to prevent or intercept that.

It seems to me like the hardest part of this is the first -- finding a sub on the open sea, when it's alone, and force an encounter. Possible ways I can think of:

1) hack their nav computer to display fake results, while actually taking them to where YOU want to meet them. This would be wiz, except that I bet any sub worth its displacement would have a navcomputer that's not on the Matrix. So, that's reaaaally hard to do without actually having been on the ship already. Maybe a run while it's in port or drydock to do this. Would require some highly specialized knowledge and skills not to mention a good decker.

2) subvert one of their riggers to send periodic reports to you via seafaring drone (surface, blip a signal to your favourite data drop, then self destruct or somesuch). This sounds easy, when you consider replacing the rigger with your own stand-in ... except, I suspect that any rigger team (as ships probably have more than one working together) would notice that the New (Fake Old) Guy didn't have the same character in his workings of drones -- much as a decker might recognize another decker not jsut by icon, but by the way he manipulates code or approaches a task. So, you probably need to replace ALL the riggers, or none at all. Note that the more people you replace, the more likely you need to replace everyone. wink.gif

3) Replace the sonar guys with a stooges, and just have someone follow the ship (while he neglects to say anything)... I think, though, that the sonar guy is probably one of the riggers, so see #2. This makes it easier though for you to have a second sub creep up on an intercept, though! Riggers could also do things like shut down the air scrubbers, or something ...

4) put a "limpet mine" (TW2002 reference! yay!) on the thing, and have it periodicaly release a little floating drone to say "here I am!" in much the same way that the subverted rigger might -- this seems better, in fact, since it's outside the ship and crew's knowledge. This would tell you where it WAS (or was heading), but couldn't really force the ship to surface. So, you probably have to combine this with the crew-incapacitating-solution to render the ship dead in the water (or just heading in a predictable manner), and then sneak in with another sub and ferret in your own crew. (like the sub to sub rendezvous in Red October, I imagine.)

. . .

Of course, Dim Sum wanted something to attack a land target -- not such a good match with the submarine. Maybe the best way to get such a craft (capable of attacking a land target) is to BUY one on the shadow market. It's probably cheaper than funding a theft operation, and is more likely to succeed. That makes it more appetizing to the bean counters, too. smile.gif

Or, rather than spending your hard earned nuyen on a ship, why not make a run into the manufacturer's host, and fake an order to a fake buyer (complete with datatrails to make the buyer's ID credible ...) Then again, that might be precisely how the shadow market DOES it ... IMO, the shadow market is a big "don't ask, don't tell" -- I don't care if they faked the order, or stole it, or built it themselves, as long as it does what I need. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012