Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Movies For Shadowrun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Zhan Shi
The following have been quite inspirational for me. They focus on the adept/magician side of SR, as opposed to the tech. I liked them all, though some were better than others. Enjoy.

Batman Begins (Liam Neeson as an adept mentor, the League of Shadows as a Twisted adept magical group....possibly a remnant of the Hand of Corruption from ED?)

Equilibrium (worth watching just for the "Gun Kata"....been trying to figure how to make this work in SR)

Hellboy (another magical group, funded as a UCAS FBI black bag operation. This movie also great for Call of Cthulhu)

The Hunted (Christopher Lambert version. Good for "montage" karma points!)

The Ninth Gate (shades of the "Al Azif" bequest from Dunkelzhan? Another good one for Call of Cthulhu)

Unbreakable (a middle aged man, who has rejected his Gift his whole life, suddenly Awakens to his powers. Immunity to Normal Weapons, Immunity to Pathogens/Toxins, boosted strength, mystic armor, some sort of sixth sense, Weakness (Water)
Ol' Scratch
There's three that do a really good job of reflecting my take on Shadowrun.

The Fifth Element: This is, at least for me, the most Shadowrun-ish movie I've ever seen. At least as far as the setting goes. Korbin Dallas' apartment and neighborhood in particular. It even has a rocker (Ruby Rhod), elemental magic, an adept (Leelu), megacorporations, and metahumans for crying out loud. biggrin.gif Just a little more space-centered than Shadowrun.

Snatch: This one, along with Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, captures how I tend to treat the streets and the Underworld in general in my games. My adventures follow a similar theme, seeming to be convoluted as Hell until they finally come together. Then you're all "oh damn." At least it's what I aim for. Rarely worked the first few times I tried it years ago. smile.gif

Constantine: More the comics than the movie, really, but it reflects a fairly decent protrayal of how I handle the magical side of things in my games as well. Very much steeped in mythology and religion, but largely treated as commonplace and "whatever"ish by those who actually practice it.
kzt
Domino. A fairly simple job spirals out of control as bad information, lies, communication errors and multiple hidden secret agendas results in an array of powerful enemies that culminates in a huge bloodbath. And Keira Knightly is hot.
JBlades
Strange Days is my all-time favorite. The setting isn't quite future enough, but the feel is incredibly on imo.
TheMadDutchman
We've had this discussion before- somebody's even got a Shadowrun media list in their signature (though I don't remember who off the top of my head)

There's a lot out there:

Ronin
just about any 007 flick
Shaft
Resevoir Dogs
Casablanca
The Maltese Falcon (still looking for a copy but can't seem to find it anywhere- sooner or later I'll order it online)
The Terminator
The Mariachi Trilogy (less El Mariahci than the other two)
Ocean's 11, 12, and 13
Snatch
To Catch a Thief (great movie if you've never seen it. Seriously it's a classic and you should watch it.)
Sin City
Max Headroom (TV)
Burn Notice (TV)

The list literally goes on and on

Here's a couple of items that were never submitted to the list and I'll go ahead and mention them (at the risk of being laughed off the forum)
G.I. Joe: I'm referring to the comic books written initially by Larry Hama and later by Josh Blaylock, Brandon Jerwa, Tim Steely, Mike O'Sullivan, and Mark Powers. On one of the recent covers there's a tag line that says they make the spies from 24 look like CIA washouts. Seriously it's the ongoing story of a highly trained counter-terrorist strike force and incorporates some elements of science fiction and mysticism into the stories. While it is originally based on the toys but it's important to remember that the average G.I. Joe reader at this point is probably 27 so while, like most comics, it's safe for kids to read: they're not really the target audience for the book.

Storm Shadow: A comic book spin-off of G.I. Joe written by the man himself Larry Hama and starring Storm Shadow one of the 4 most loved G.I. Joe characters: Storm Shadow.

Storm Shadow is probably even more SR fodder than the standard G.I. Joe books, though at only 3 issues out it's hard to make that determination. It's so far been loaded w/ globe trotting espionage as a secretive group of villains who, I believe, are related to the Vory are trying to find the mysterious "morning light" a macguffin of incredible power and capable of great destruction. They've kidnapped Tommy's (StormShadow) neice in an effort to get the location of morning light from him; but instead of complying w/ their demands he's decided instead just to kick all their asses. Just like any good Shadowrunner would.

Seriously, if you've never read a G.I. Joe comic- you might want to take a look.
BishopMcQ
Smoking Aces was one that I saw recently which reminded me of a run's ability to go completely sideways-a good demonstration of multiple teams working on a single project.

Blade Runner, Boondock Saints, Man on Fire (from the Security side of things), as TMD said, the list goes on...
Mercer
The Usual Suspects is an obvious choice, but for my money, I have to go with McQuarrie's follow-up The Way of the Gun. Everybody in that movie has an angle, nobody is just a guy there to do one thing.

Reign of Firep. I expect to eat a little crap on this one, but where else are you going to get a movie with dragons and tanks? (Seriously. If it was up to me every movie would have at least one dragon and one tank.)

Miller's Crossing. Look in your heart. When it comes to guys playing angles, this is a hard one to beat.

Escape from New York, Escape From LA. I'll pick'em, even if LA was a bit of a mess.

Most Shadowrun movies are really cyberpunk movies, and in that vein I'll link the Cybercinema Articles. 24 essays covering 24 cyberpunk movies over 20 years. It starts out with some advice on how to translate the movies into games, and by the end of it is delving into the mythology of cyberpunk. Hey, it beats working.

Things to do in Denver when you're Dead.

Big Trouble in Little China.

Sneakers!

And then you got the westerns. High Noon, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Silverado, Tombstone, Unforgiven... I've always held that gaming, whether it's SR or the GTSNBN, has always been as strongly tied thematically to Westerns than it has to its more obvious source material (be it cyberpunk, fantasy or both).

Also, maybe its because it came out aroud the time my group started playing Shadowrun, but Reservoir Dogs cast a long shadow over our early games. So I'll give that an honorably mention. (Also Freejack and Johnny Mnemonic, just cuz.)

Edit: Training Day and I'm stopping before I include Three Amigos.
sinthalix
Wild Wild West: for an astral quest...everyone should remember Harlequin's Back.

Aliens: for those times the runners come across an insect hive full of pods.

Excalibur: another astral quest
Irian
Bourne Identity (and Sequels) might be a good inspiration for an ex-killer
FriendoftheDork
I'd rate Johnny Mnemonic as #1 as it is the most similar to classic cyberpunk (based off a Gibson novel)... not everyone thinks it's great but seriously what other movies do you know that features a Monowhip (as well as a big corp, yakuza, VR hacking, wired reflexes and someone close to a cyberzombie)?

Othwerwise yeah, Blade Runner.

The other movies are good, but not really cyberpunk and generally just action and sci-fi.
Demerzel
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork)
Johnny Mnemonic [ . . . ] (based off a Gibson novel)

Short story actually.
Zen Shooter01
I'll throw in the obvious Matrix films.

Has anyone seen Cypher, with Lucy Liu and Jeremy Northam?

And I'm always surprised that American Psycho with Christian Bale gets left off these lists. Patrick Bateman is your new Mr. Johnson.
Thomas
Cyberwars AKA Avatar comes to mind.

Good feel, SINs, bounty hunters, megacorps, grossly obese deckers, much more to list.
Irian
Avalon perhaps, as an example for an Ultra-Violet gaming host...
Grinder
Boondock Saints
Hartbaine
Most of the good shoot em' ups have been mentioned, so you may or may not agree with some or all of these, but I'm contributing...

Unleashed - One PhysAd up against a ton of goons.

Oh hell, any modern themed Jet Li movie.

Kiss of the Dragon (this one in particular)
Exit Wounds
Craddle to the Grave

Sure his supporting cast usually suck, but it sure could help inspire you to what any SR4 PhysAd would, could, and should be capable of.

Mr and Mrs. Smith
Blade Trilogy (Martin DeVries prolly does this on a nightly basis)

I could prolly come up with a ton more, but it seems when I'm actually trying to think up which ones are good I can't for the life of me remember any of them... frown.gif
Nikoli
I'll toss in some titles:
Cowboy Bebop (Sure it's anime, but it's a very dystopic feels to me)
Layer Cake
Ferris Beuler's Day off (for when your runners need some down time)
the Indiana Jones' Franchise.
Blues Brothers
The Mummy (Returns)
Chinatown
The Two Jakes
District 13
Buster
Ghost in the Shell, the sequel, and the TV series.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
The Fifth Element: This is, at least for me, the most Shadowrun-ish movie I've ever seen. At least as far as the setting goes. Korbin Dallas' apartment and neighborhood in particular. It even has a rocker (Ruby Rhod), elemental magic, an adept (Leelu), megacorporations, and metahumans for crying out loud. biggrin.gif Just a little more space-centered than Shadowrun.

...I agree, many cool SR elements. Also the the film that had a huge influence in the design of my PC Leela's character and personality.

"...big BadaBoom, haha...

QUOTE (TheMadDutchman)
Casablanca
The Maltese Falcon (still looking for a copy but can't seem to find it anywhere- sooner or later I'll order it online)

...most excellent choices. To this I would also like to add The Third Man.

QUOTE (Mercer)
And then you got the westerns. [b]High Noon, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Silverado, Tombstone, Unforgiven//b]... I've always held that gaming, whether it's SR or the GTSNBN, has always been as strongly tied thematically to Westerns than it has to its more obvious source material (be it cyberpunk, fantasy or both).

QUOTE (sinthalix)
Wild Wild West: for an astral quest...everyone should remember Harlequin's Back.

...I hear both of you on that. Fist Full of Karma was by far my favourite segment from Harlequin's Back and forever left it's mark on my namesake character.

...sinthilax, are you talking the film or the original TV series?

QUOTE (Nikoli)
Blues Brothers

...oh hell yes. Been on a couple of runs that had the same feel. Also one of the all time greatest car chases ever filmed.

though these take place in "present day" I would also like to add:

The French Connection (more good vehicle action)
Enemy of the State
The Net
Speed (only the first one)
Telefon (actually used the premise of this one rather successfully)
Insider

and two more on the comedic side...

the original Italian Job (accept no remakes)
True Lies

In addition I am going to see Shoot 'Em Up (OK no cyber or magic, but lots'a gunfights which are a staple of SR and an interesting sounding plot) and 3:10 to Yuma this week
Zhan Shi
I have not seen this film, and can't remember the name, but it's a fairly recent Tarantino flick. The movie stars Rose Mcgowan as some psycho who has one of her legs replaced with a machine gun. Seems like it could be....stimulating.
Nikoli
Grindhouse
Backgammon
I agree with hyzmarca.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Demerzel)
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork @ Sep 9 2007, 07:47 AM)
Johnny Mnemonic [ . . . ] (based off a Gibson novel)

Short story actually.

Yeah, sometimes I forget the Norwegian word for "short story" is "novelle"... kinda confusing at times wink.gif

What you call a novel we call a "roman." Don't ask me why.
fistandantilus4.0
I'm amazed that people always forget Things to do in Denver When You're Dead. It's perfect for SR.
Fortune
QUOTE (Mercer)
Things to do in Denver when you're Dead.

wink.gif
TheMadDutchman
QUOTE (Zhan Shi)
I have not seen this film, and can't remember the name, but it's a fairly recent Tarantino flick. The movie stars Rose Mcgowan as some psycho who has one of her legs replaced with a machine gun. Seems like it could be....stimulating.

The movie is Planet Terror and it's a Robert Rodriguez flick

The other half of Grindhouse is Death Proof which was the Tarantino movie.
apollo124
Hackers Plus you get footage of Angelina Jolie as a hottie teenager
X-Men movies Adepts/spellcasters, secret training facility, high tech gear
Barb Wire Lousy movie, but dark background and naked Pam Anderson
The Shadow Guy with simple Invisibility and some mental control manipulations
sinthalix
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
QUOTE (sinthalix)

...I hear both of you on that. Fist Full of Karma was by far my favourite segment from Harlequin's Back and forever left it's mark on my namesake character.

...sinthilax, are you talking the film or the original TV series?

I used the movie. I couldn't find any copies of the original series before the session. As always happens, after I ran it, I found copies at Wal-Mart the next day.
Malachi
My top 2:

Ronin
By far the closest example of a Shadowrun I've ever seen in movie form. It does an excellent job of showing what Shadowrunners "do." It's also good for giving SR GM's an idea on how to run things. Take particular note of how dangerous the "simple" acquisition of weapons and equipment becomes! GM's, don't always let your players get away with just making a die roll, especially with new or unproven contacts. Most of the character archetypes are well represented:
  • Sam (Robert DeNiro) is the grizzled veteran Street Sam
  • Vincent (brilliantly played by Jean Reno) is a fabulous example of a Face, take note of this one!
  • Spencer (Sean Bean) is the wanna-be new Street Sam
  • Larry (Skipp Sudduth) is a classic "wheel man" Rigger
  • Gregor (Stellan Skarsgard) is the Hacker who executes the classic SR "screw the group"
  • Deirdre (Natascha McElhone) is an unusually hands-on Ms. Johnson, but a fine example nonetheless.

Seriously, if you play SR and you haven't seen this movie, you really must. I recommend it to every one of my new SR players to give them a solid idea of what Shadowrunning is all about.

Blade Runner
There are a few movies that do the "setting" of SR pretty well, and this is one of the best. Take note of the gloominess of life on the streets compared with the polished wealth of the Tyrell Tower (Renraku Arcology anyone?!). This has always been my favorite movie for the "setting" of Shadowrun.
deek
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork)
I'd rate Johnny Mnemonic as #1 as it is the most similar to classic cyberpunk (based off a Gibson novel)... not everyone thinks it's great but seriously what other movies do you know that features a Monowhip (as well as a big corp, yakuza, VR hacking, wired reflexes and someone close to a cyberzombie)?

Othwerwise yeah, Blade Runner.

The other movies are good, but not really cyberpunk and generally just action and sci-fi.

I was kinda surprised that Johnny Mnemonic took this long to appear in the list...seriously, what is not shadowrun in that flick???

So, I'd probably say watch this one and if you are not in the mood to run the shadows afterwards, you might as well find a different genre to play in:)
Zhan Shi
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)

[QUOTE]I'm amazed that people always forget Things to do in Denver When You're Dead. It's perfect for SR.

That could work. You would have to invent a "Fecal Freak" negative quality, though. Imagine roleplaying that. eek.gif
Zhan Shi
I forgot one: Serenity. It's got just about everything; sci fi tech, adept martial arts type stuff, secret government projects, normal people turned into rampaging cannibals (HMVV?).
Zen Shooter01
People I Know with Al Pacino.
imperialus
City of God... It's a documentary but probably is the best example of the barrens ever put to film. Perhaps morso because, it's... well... real.
psychophipps
And nothing from Michael Mann? eek.gif Heretic dogs!

Heat, Collateral, and Miami Vice all have the right grit to make good Shadowrun-type mood makers.
Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs are good examples of what the right group of characters and GM willing to just roleplay rather than focus on lighting fires and blowing stuff up can come up with. *Still laughing about the great Roleplaying session this last game*
The Dirty Dozen gives you an idea of what hiring a bunch of random street drek for an op is really like...

Mark(psycho)Phipps( HAHAHA! )
Draconis
Dresden Files, TV and books.

Split Second, Renissance, The Usual Suspects.

Etc, Etc, Etc.
Draconis
QUOTE (Zhan Shi)
I forgot one: Serenity. It's got just about everything; sci fi tech, adept martial arts type stuff, secret government projects, normal people turned into rampaging cannibals (HMVV?).

Yes all done in a horrible way. But it's true he didn't ask for good inspiration. nyahnyah.gif
Zen Shooter01
How could I forget Split Second? frown.gif

The new Miami Vice film wasn't bad.

Someone mentioned Constantine, right?

No one's seen Cypher or People I Know?
Mr. Croup
As for G(host) i(n) t(he) S(hell) and GitS: Innocence - well let's just say that me and a friend of mine regularly argue about these films. For the cyberware aspect of the films they're perfect but for actual entertainment they're terrible films. Yes, the action and the animation is very cool but, more so in the second film than the first, nothing happens. There's very little character development and there's never any real closure for either film - Mamaru Oshi (spelling is probably way off) seems to prefer tons of style with the tiniest sliver of substance. If you like visual extravaganzas with almost zero plot, you'll love 'em. If you like stuff like plot and character development watch:

GitS: Stand Alone Complex (series 1 & 2) and GitS: Solid State Society - which for SR has all the elements you need, plus they don't involve Mamaru Oshi, so plot and character development keep you interested.

On saying that, read the original Manga by Masamune Shirow for the original and coolest of the lot, and pick up a copy of Appleseed and Dominion Tank Police whilst your at it...
Caine Hazen
Hot Fuzz because it reminds me of how the runs usually go on our end of the world rotfl.gif
DTFarstar
I would like to second the Dresden Files- books not so much the TV show. I'm something of a fanboy of the books so the TV shows rather liberal interpretation annoys me. Also, the Codex Alera series also by Jim Butcher does a really good job with spirits, in my opinion(Furies in the books). I would recommend them to anyone to read, but the Dresden Files is good for magic and investigation and otherworldly everything and the Codex Alera is really good for spirits.

Chris
Meriss
For me a couple of decent movies to illustrate the power of SR style teamwork is always The Italian Job (the new one) and Ocean's Eleven (with George Clooney). Watch as these guys adapt to every conceivable plot device thrown at them.
st23am
Not a movie but, definitely good for material. Burn Notice on USA.

Burn Notice Home Page

Critias
QUOTE (Meriss)
For me a couple of decent movies to illustrate the power of SR style teamwork is always The Italian Job (the new one) and Ocean's Eleven (with George Clooney). Watch as these guys adapt to every conceivable plot device thrown at them.

I think you mean "watch as these plot devices pretending to be characters adapt to other, predictable, plot devices thrown at them" don't you?
Draconis
Four Brothers, and since this doesn't have to be good films per se only shadowrun related, Alone in the Dark.

Oh ya and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas because some of our early runs have gone similarly to that. We did sell drugs from an ice cream truck with a giant clown head on it for awhile.

Also The Salton Sea and for laughs Crank. Hmmm lots 'o drugs movies.
Draconis
QUOTE (st23am)

Burn Notice Home Page

That's got a good buzz going for it. Hell even my mom watches.
I don't do TV so I'll check it out on the inevitable DVD series.
Kerris
QUOTE (st23am)

Burn Notice Home Page

I watched the first episode and loved it. But then I was unable to watch the rest. I was sad.

Also, *points down at his signature*
Zhan Shi
I would also give a nod to a documentary called "Budo: The Art of Killing". Good representations of Smashing Blow, Pain Resistance, Improved Reflexes, Mystic Armor and Temperature Tolerance. The downside: it was filmed in 1979, so it uses lots of hokey disco music in the soundtrack. Also, you'll have to endure 10-15 minutes of 300 pound men wearing nothing but loincloths in the "Sumo" segment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012