Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Say it ain't so!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Tanegar
I dropped by the local bookstore today, noticed they had a copy of SR4, and snagged it. Giving the new (well, new to me, anyway) character creation rules a preliminary skim, I noticed this on page 84 under "Cyberware and Bioware:"
In addition to the nuyen cost, each item of cyberware or bioware also has a secondary cost in Essence.

Bioware now costs Essence? Why? Please tell me this is a misprint.
Ol' Scratch
Streamlining.

They do cost Essence, but only half the listed cost if you have more Cyberware than Bioware. If you have more Bioware, the Cyberware costs are halved instead. Don't ask me why they did that. Should have just cut Bioware Essence costs in half to begin with and called it a day.

You have to remember that the main point of Essence is to limit how many implants you get for your character. From a metagaming point of view, having Bioware eat up Essence makes total sense. Doubly so since Essence is also used to limit implants versus Magic, and even in the old system Bio Index affected Essence. So it's all just streamlined.

It's that whole halving thing that completely negates any attempt to streamline the rules though. The exceptions are weird, bizarre situations crop up because of it, and there's no reason that Cyberware should have less impact on a character's system than Bioware.
MaxHunter
Welcome to Fourth ed! I didn't like that at first, but now I am quite happy with that and mostly everything else.

Good luck with converting some characters though!

Cheers,

Max
Tanegar
But why make it cost Essence at all? What was wrong with the Body Index system? Simpler doesn't necessarily mean better, and I'm not even sure the new system is any simpler. You still have to track two separate cumulative costs: one for cyberware and one for bioware.
Ol' Scratch
Not really, only when calculating the Essence impact.
James McMurray
You can also get your bioware in different grades now, to help with the essence cost. Alternatively, you can take the 30 BP positive quality from Augmentation and all of your bioware will be considered delta grade.

As for why, it's definitely simpler. You're still tracking two numbers, but it's not as annoying as bioindex, since they both feed into the same final product.

If you pick up Augmentation you'll see that Symbiotes, Genetech, and Nanoware also take essence. Basically, if it's a large change to your base body identity, it'll cost essence. Bioware and Genetech are all very low, since they're as natural as the scientists can make it.
Fortune
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Alternatively, you can take the 30 BP positive quality from Augmentation and all of your bioware will be considered delta grade.

All of your non-cultured bioware will be Delta. wink.gif
Aaron
How is one not less than human when bioware is implanted?

I suppose one could claim that one is more than human, but there's still a delta-humanity there. So I can see it.
toturi
Can cultured bioware be had at a higher grade than standard? The FAQ says yes, but the bioware rules seem to indicate no, except that it doesn't spell it out explicitly like in geneware.

BTW, it is nano-cybernetics that cost Essense - nanoware do not cost Essense.
Jaid
where do the bioware rules imply that cultured bioware doesn't come in grades?
Fortune
QUOTE (toturi)
Can cultured bioware be had at a higher grade than standard?

Yes. All Bioware comes in grades.
Malachi
I really don't understand why lots of people seem to freak out about this. I always perceived the whole "bio index" system as strange anyway. When I saw SR4 had bioware costing Essence my reaction was "finally." Remember, your Bio-index was based on your Essence anyway. When your Essence went down, so did your Bio-index. They were "joined at the hip" anyway, so why not just merge them together?
Synner
Two things to keep in mind regarding Bioware costing Essence:
  • You add up your total cyberware Essence cost. Then you add up your total bioware Essence cost separately. After that you add half the smaller value to the bigger and subtract that total from your Essence. (ie. 4 Essence spent on cyberware + 2 Essence spent on bioware = 5 total Essence spent and not 6).
  • Bioware (and to a certain extent Cyberware) Essence costs have been adjusted, so don't jump to conclusions based on SR3 costs.
  • As of Augmentation some Geneware adds to your Bioware total and some Nanocybernetics go to your Cyberware total.
Aristotle
I was a little unsure when I first saw this, but given that 3rd edition's Bio Index was based off of Essence anyway... it didn't seem like too huge a change. I definately like only having to track a single number, and with the way costs (and the whole half-of-the lesser thing) are set up it seems to work just fine.

I'd like to get some clarification on the cultured bioware thing too.
darthmord
My house rule clarification of cultured bioware...

If you have the Type O Trait, then all bioware (cultured for you & off-the-shelf stuff) is considered Delta grade.

How's that for simple?
Fortune
It might be simple, but it still is, as you say, a house rule.
Cain
I have to agree: halving the lowest of the two has got to be one of the sillier concepts of "streamlining" I've ever seen.

But anyway, here's a question. If you have the Type O Edge, what happens when you've got more bio than cyber? Is it halved yet again? Potentially taking things to four decimal places?
deek
I can't remember where I read this, but it was saying that (with regards to game mechanics), anytime you start multiplying and dividing, you start adding complexities to the system...and for the most part, you start taking it out of the hands of the common gamer...

Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Malachi)
I really don't understand why lots of people seem to freak out about this.  I always perceived the whole "bio index" system as strange anyway.  When I saw SR4 had bioware costing Essence my reaction was "finally."  Remember, your Bio-index was based on your Essence anyway.  When your Essence went down, so did your Bio-index.  They were "joined at the hip" anyway, so why not just merge them together?

...for one, because the essence index cap was 9 instead of 6

For example, you could have 3 Essence worth of Cyber and still implant up to 6 BI of bio. In 4th edition you are left with only the remaining 3 Essence for bio. Furthermore if you exceeded your essence index with Bioware, the implants were only more prone to overstress. On the other hand, if you exceed your 6 Essence, the character simply dies. So for a bioware/genetech heavy character, there is no break. Once you reach 6 essence worth, that is it whereas in 3rd ed a character could go up to 9, provided she had little or no chrome (a good example was my baseball throwing sammy Tomoe who had about 8 of her EI taken up by Bioware with almost no chrome outside of a couple of retinal mods)

Bioware is also so bloody expensive as it is that I would never even consider Beta or even Alpha grade.

Cain, I agree with you on the silliness of the "1/2 rule". The old index was not really all that unwieldy to figure out.
Aristotle
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
For example, you could have 3 Essence worth of Cyber and still implant up to 6 BI of bio. In 4th edition you are left with only the remaining 3 Essence for bio.

Is that right? Skipping past the fact that essence costs have been modified and that you really can't compare ware from the two editions point for point... You would be halving one of the two, wouldn't you? So wouldn't it be closer to 4 points of one and 4 (technically 3.99) of another, halved to 2 (1.995), to fill 6 essence? So the theoretical point comparison would be 8 to 9, wouldn't it?

Kyoto Kid
...OK Ill give in to that in the case of an even mix of bio & cyber. "Effectively" one can get close to 6 essence worth of bio.

However for the character that is all bio, (like the example I mentioned) she does not gain this benefit and can only take a maximum of 5.99 in Bio implants instead of 9.

That was one of the beauties of bioware and why, back then, I had no issue with the higher cost. Plain and simple, Bio was slick stuff. Now it is treated pretty much as a "wet" version of cyber (for lack of a better term) which takes away from a character's metahumanity even if it is cloned directly from her own genetic code. The book even applies the same grades (α, β, Δ) as for cyber. In the past the only way to get a reduction to Body Index impact was to have the implant cultured, and you could only do that with Standard Bioware.

One more reason I oft find myself "looking backwards down the road"
Fortune
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
α, β, Δ

Dude! cool.gif

How do you do those?
darthmord
ALT + XXXX number codes.

Can also use the character map in Windows to copy & paste those.
Fortune
QUOTE (darthmord)
ALT + XXXX number codes.

Can also use the character map in Windows to copy & paste those.

Yeah, thanks. I figured that was the case. I never think to use the character map thingie. smile.gif
James McMurray
QUOTE (deek)
I can't remember where I read this, but it was saying that (with regards to game mechanics), anytime you start multiplying and dividing, you start adding complexities to the system...and for the most part, you start taking it out of the hands of the common gamer...

If you can't multiply decimals, you're not welcome at my table anyway. wink.gif
Aaron
QUOTE (deek)

I'm not so certain that it's the common gamer you're taking anything away from. Anybody who can't perform arithmetic on fractions or can't use a calculator probably shouldn't be gaming (the same for those who can't afford a calculator; they have better things to think about).

It does take the game away from the casual gamer, however. Although I'd say if a player has abandoned the archetypes and is either generating her own starting character or buying high-grade cyberware, she's left the realm of the casual gamer.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Sep 11 2007, 10:45 AM)
α, β, Δ

Dude! cool.gif

How do you do those?

...ahem...?

...well I always keep Word open to do my spell checking (I've had PHP Spell break down too many times). When I want some special character like, say, the above Greek, Cyrillic, or Croatian with accents, I type it in Word first and then paste.
Lagomorph
I think I'll take the 3rd position and say that both of them are pretty clunky. I'd even be fine with saying 9 is the new 6 for essence! Mages are already over powered, so it's not like it's that much more frosting on the mage cake.

That being said, I understood SR4's rules on the first read through, it took me more than one read through to understand the bioindex section in SR3's source book.

Fortune
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...well I always keep Word open to do my spell checking (I've had PHP Spell break down too many times). When I want some special character like, say, the above Greek, Cyrillic, or Croatian with accents, I type it in Word first and then paste.

Um ... thanks, I think. smile.gif
Whipstitch
I always thought that the bio and essence indexes were emblematic of SR3's problems in general. The mechanics worked fine and weren't even truly very difficult to use once you read through it all, but it was a bit clunky because the devs always manage to add in some new terms for people to keep track of. With the SR4 rules, you're at least always dealing with plain ol' Essence and bio and cyberware are presented as two slightly different flavors of the same mechanic. With the old bioindex rules, the book first had to clarify the difference between bioindex, essence index and essence rating just to get everyone on the same page before delving into how exactly you calculated it all out.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Sep 12 2007, 12:46 AM)
...well I always keep Word open to do my spell checking (I've had PHP Spell break down too many times).  When I want some special character like, say, the above Greek, Cyrillic, or Croatian with accents, I type it in Word first and then paste.

Um ... thanks, I think. smile.gif

...пожалуйÑ?та
Adarael
Hey, Fortune. If you're running Windows, you can always expand the library of languages available to the Windows IME. You type the words phonetically using roman characters, and it converts them to the native script. It's how I can type in 日本語 / ��ん� / ニホンゴ using my english-based PC and keyboard.

If you don't have the IME enabled, you have to install foreign language support with the Windows disk, or download the package from online. Pretty handy stuff, IMO.
Kerris
[offtopic]
Firefox 2 has a built-in spellchecker. Use it. Love it.
[/offtopic]
James McMurray
QUOTE (Adarael)
Hey, Fortune. If you're running Windows, you can always expand the library of languages available to the Windows IME. You type the words phonetically using roman characters, and it converts them to the native script. It's how I can type in 日本語 / ��ん� / ニホンゴ using my english-based PC and keyboard.

Why would you want to type a bunch of squares seperated by slashes? wink.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (James McMurray)
QUOTE (Adarael @ Sep 11 2007, 03:59 PM)

Why would you want to type a bunch of squares seperated by slashes?

They all look like '?'s to me.

But thanks none the less, Adarael. biggrin.gif
Ted Stewart
This touches on something that has always driven me nuts about SR: duplication of nearly identical effects.

I can improve my initiative passes via drugs, cyberware, bioware, a magical spell, or being an adept. Each of those gives a completely different description of the same effect. It's inefficient to the point of lunacy. The book should give the rules for initiative boosters in one place and then describe the various ways the same effect can be achieved. And this should apply pretty much across the board.

To get back on topic, bioware is wonderfully flavourful stuff, but it doesn't need it's own rules. If I was to redo the system, bioware would be functionally equivalent in every way to high grade cyberware. There should be fluff differences, of course, but making the system more complex to support something that is really pure fluff is lunacy.
Cain
QUOTE (Lagomorph)

That being said, I understood SR4's rules on the first read through, it took me more than one read through to understand the bioindex section in SR3's source book.

That's got more to do with writing quality than actual complexity. Bioindex and the halving system aren't really more complicated;the halving system is just sillier, and claims to be simpler and more streamlined.

Where the difference lies is that SR4's writing quality is much better. Let's face it, FASA's layout and writing quality was never all that. So, we have a badly-written complex system that admitted it was a complex system, or a well-written complex system that lies and pretends it's simpler. Neither is really that much better than the other.

BTW, to repeat my question: If you have the Type O Edge, and you have more Cyber than Bio, does your essence cost get halved yet again? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? cool.gif
Kyoto Kid
..the other thing is you could have 6 - 9 BI worth of Bio implants and still have an Essence of 6 provided you didn't get any Cyber.
Fortune
QUOTE (Cain)
BTW, to repeat my question: If you have the Type O Edge, and you have more Cyber than Bio, does your essence cost get halved yet again? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? cool.gif

Yes, just the same as if it was Delta in the first place.
Ranneko
QUOTE (Cain)
QUOTE (Lagomorph @ Sep 11 2007, 11:30 AM)

That's got more to do with writing quality than actual complexity. Bioindex and the halving system aren't really more complicated;the halving system is just sillier, and claims to be simpler and more streamlined.

Where the difference lies is that SR4's writing quality is much better. Let's face it, FASA's layout and writing quality was never all that. So, we have a badly-written complex system that admitted it was a complex system, or a well-written complex system that lies and pretends it's simpler. Neither is really that much better than the other.

Yes Cain.

Because such reductions take place on the cost that goes into the bio total.

If you buy delta bio normally, and have more cyber than bio, then the cost is halved too.
PlatonicPimp
QUOTE (Ted Stewart)
This touches on something that has always driven me nuts about SR: duplication of nearly identical effects.

I can improve my initiative passes via drugs, cyberware, bioware, a magical spell, or being an adept. Each of those gives a completely different description of the same effect. It's inefficient to the point of lunacy. The book should give the rules for initiative boosters in one place and then describe the various ways the same effect can be achieved. And this should apply pretty much across the board.

To get back on topic, bioware is wonderfully flavourful stuff, but it doesn't need it's own rules. If I was to redo the system, bioware would be functionally equivalent in every way to high grade cyberware. There should be fluff differences, of course, but making the system more complex to support something that is really pure fluff is lunacy.

If that's you bag, I suggest looking at systems like Tri-stat Dx: where the rules only describe effects, and leave it to you to come up with the justifications for why they work. Under that system, if you can attack someone at 50' and do X points of damage, it costs you Y points to purchase, and you can call it a magic spell or a implanted gun or whatever you want to.

I converted shadowrun to tri-stat just before sr4 came out. But I prefer the multiple similar but slightly different effects. It gives flavor, like different varieties of tomato make a better sauce together.
BishopMcQ
This is the moment when I would normally look at one of my players and say "get over it."

Since the Man and Machine errata came out in 2003, the concept of taking an essence hit plus half the bioware has applied to mages. With SR4, that application has been spread to everyone equally.

The 6-9 BioIndex with an essence of 6 was possible, but for the people who really cared about their essence, they still had to pay for it. Personally I think everyone playing with the same set of rules is easier to remember, and because it is halved, you can cram just about the same amount of Cyber and Bioware into your body as before. Now instead of inducing biosystem shock and then dying, you just die.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
QUOTE (Ted Stewart @ Sep 11 2007, 11:10 PM)

I can improve my initiative passes via drugs, cyberware, bioware, a magical spell, or being an adept.  Each of those gives a completely different description of the same effect.  It's inefficient to the point of lunacy.  The book should give the rules for initiative boosters in one place and then describe the various ways the same effect can be achieved.  And this should apply pretty much across the board.

To get back on topic, bioware is wonderfully flavourful stuff, but it doesn't need it's own rules.  If I was to redo the system, bioware would be functionally equivalent in every way to high grade cyberware.  There should be fluff differences, of course, but making the system more complex to support something that is really pure fluff is lunacy.

If that's you bag, I suggest looking at systems like Tri-stat Dx: where the rules only describe effects, and leave it to you to come up with the justifications for why they work. Under that system, if you can attack someone at 50' and do X points of damage, it costs you Y points to purchase, and you can call it a magic spell or a implanted gun or whatever you want to.

I converted shadowrun to tri-stat just before sr4 came out. But I prefer the multiple similar but slightly different effects. It gives flavor, like different varieties of tomato make a better sauce together.

or for that matter any superhero like game, hero, mutants&masterminds and others all use effect based systems. want to hurt someone in m&m? blast, want it to be a spell? take the magic power source, beyond that blast is blast is blast. sure you can slap some elemental effect on it, or limit its range for when you want to make someone that use fists rather then beams, but the pattern is the same every time.

hmm, didnt they release a cyberpunk game using tri-stat right before the publisher folded?

ex machina i think the title was. iirc, it got rave reviews, not because of its system but because of its settings (3 of them, describing different takes on cyberpunk iirc).
darthmord
QUOTE (Cain)

So what you are saying is you have 4 points of cyber and 3 points base (before any mods for grade and whatnot) of bio...

Well, here's what I'd say based on the the rules as written...

4 points for Cyber
0.75 points for Bio.

3 * 0.5 for Type-O / Delta Grade = 1.5

So your totals would look like so...

Cyber: 4
Bio: 1.5

Then you halve the lower value and add them together for the final Essence Cost.

This would leave you with...

Cyber: 4.0
Bio: 0.75

Total: 4.75

Remember, Type O trait allows you to treat standard Bioware as Delta Grade. Grade modifiers apply before any halving based iirc. I'm basing this on that really long thread where people were tearing apart the whole separate totals and halving thing about 2 months ago. The examples given there by Synner showed grade was applied before a given side (cyber or bio) was totalled.
Synner
Type O quality modifications are factored directly into the implant cost during installation and so are already calculated when you add up your bioware total.
Cain
So, l emme get this straight....

Let's say you want a Sleep Regulator (0.25 Essence).

Halve it for Type O. (.125 Essence.)

Then halve again for The Cyber/Bio split. (0.0625)

So, we're now taking things to 4 decimal places?? And this is "Streamlined"?

Next question: Does Delta grade bio still count for reductions if you have Type o?
darthmord
As much as I'd like it to, I'd have to say no since Delta grade is basically made specifically for you. Type O is already "specifically you". Hence how do you make it "more" you?

The answer is, you can't. frown.gif
James McMurray
QUOTE (Cain)

So, we're now taking things to 4 decimal places??  And this is "Streamlined"? 

Why is 4 decimal points not streamlined?

Next question: Does Delta grade bio still count for reductions if you have Type o?

Type O makes the bioware count as delta, so starting with delta (or anything above standard) is pointless.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Cain)
So, l emme get this straight....

Let's say you want a Sleep Regulator (0.25 Essence).

Halve it for Type O. (.125 Essence.)

Then halve again for The Cyber/Bio split. (0.0625)

So, we're now taking things to 4 decimal places?? And this is "Streamlined"?

That's why everything should be done with fractions, instead of decimals.
So the Sleep Regulator costs 1/4 essence, out of your total of 6.
Halve it for Type O. (1/8 essence)
Halve it again for the split (1/16)
Then, if for example you need to add in something that costs 1/5, it's just 21/80, leaving you with 5 59/80, or if you prefer simple fractions 459/80! Simple! And with no cumbersome long decimals!
grinbig.gif
James McMurray
Alternatively, just start everyone with 60,000 essence and multiply all essence costs by 10,000.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012