Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Enchanting Question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kronk2
In the old Tir na Nog book, which I wholeheartedly admit was the most out of scale book FASA ever published, they described enchanted armor. What am trying to do is make a facsimile of what I think it would do.

I think it would have at least the following spells enchanted on it.
Armor (duh)
Increased Reflexes
Oxygenate
Fashion
and maybe Nutrition

Now here is the thing I having trouble with. Yes, you can quicken spells to things, but if you do passing wards would be a major pain in the ass, and turning off the spell would be a major waste of karma. so how do I enchant something so that I can turn the spells on and off at my liking? I'd even be willing to put limits on how many can be up at a time. most likely only 2 at a time would really be needed.
Buster
Anchoring (from Street Magic) lets you turn the spells on and off, but for some reason even when off, Anchored spells are still considered active for wards. By RAW, there's no way around it unless you have Masking+Extended Masking and the ward creator's astral sig.
Ancient History
Simple answer: To turn spells on and off, you'd need to use an anchoring focus-probably a stacked anchoring focus because when you turn a spell on and then off again, you have to re-cast it and reset the trigger conditions. The armor that the Two Tirs paladins/Order of Cu Chulainn is of this type.

Slightly Less Simple answer: If you really want that sort of uber-armor - which is really a bit overpowered for Shadowrun - make it a unique enchantment.
Buster
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Simple answer: To turn spells on and off, you'd need to use an anchoring focus-probably a stacked anchoring focus because when you turn a spell on and then off again, you have to re-cast it and reset the trigger conditions. The armor that the Two Tirs paladins/Order of Cu Chulainn is of this type.

Slightly Less Simple answer: If you really want that sort of uber-armor - which is really a bit overpowered for Shadowrun - make it a unique enchantment.

How will that help the situation?
QUOTE (Street Magic p.84)
Like other active foci, prepped anchoring foci are dual natured and active on the astral plane; mana barriers will block them.

He'll have to deactivate the anchoring focus, wiping out the spells, then reactivate the anchoring focus once he's inside the ward, then recast all his spells again. An anchoring focus is completely useless for stealthing across wards, he's better off just using a sustaining focus.

Like wards, Quickening and Anchoring are not designed for shadowrunners, they're only for corpers and other people with bunkers.

If you want magic armor that casts spells for you, only spirits created in the shape of armor can do that. Check out my Spirit Weapons and Armor thread. http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=19046
Kronk2
QUOTE (Ancient History)
make it a unique enchantment.

you please direct me to the appropriate page in the hymnal?
Jaid
QUOTE (Kronk2)
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Sep 16 2007, 10:05 AM)
make it a unique enchantment.

you please direct me to the appropriate page in the hymnal?

street magic, pages 87-88
Kronk2
Awesome wink.gif Thanks guys for all your help
NightmareX
QUOTE (Kronk2)
Now here is the thing I having trouble with. Yes, you can quicken spells to things, but if you do passing wards would be a major pain in the ass, and turning off the spell would be a major waste of karma.  so how do I enchant something so that I can turn the spells on and off at my liking? I'd even be willing to put limits on how many can be up at a time. most likely only 2 at a time would really be needed.

Homebrew advanced metamagic -

Suspension
(Prerequisite: Quickening)
Suspension is an advanced metamagic technique that allows an initiate to activate or deactivate the effects of a spell maintained by a sustaining focus or a quickened spell without actually disrupting the spell and causing it to end. In order to modify such a sustained or quickened spell with this technique, the initiate must expend an additional Complex Action on the casting and spend Karma equal to the Force of the spell. This additional Karma expenditure does not add to the effective Force of a quickened spell for purposes of tests the spell must make. Once the spell is in place, it acts as a normal sustained or quickened spell until the initiate decides to suspend it’s function as a Simple Action. When suspended, a spell simply ceases to exist for all magical intents and purposes except assensing (a focus sustaining a suspended spell automatically deactivates) and no longer has any effect on its target until reactivated. A suspended spell can slip without hindrance through wards and other mana barriers, and the spell cannot be dispelled unless the magician attempting to do so first successfully assesses it. A suspended spell still leaves tell tale signs in the aura of it’s target (or the focus sustaining it), but an Intuition + Assensing (2) test in order to perceive the spell as separate from the target’s or focus’s aura. If the target possesses the Masking metamagic the masking must be pierced before this can occur. Once it is assensed, the suspended spell can be dispelled as normal. The caster of a suspended spell can reactivate it (and the focus sustaining it if applicable) as a Simple Action as long as the spell’s target or the focus are within his line of sight. A spell modified in this fashion can be suspended and reactivated any amount of times for any length of time without ill effect, but it the spell is sustained by a focus that focus cannot be used to sustain any other spell without permanently disrupting the spell. If a spell modified in this fashion is dispelled or otherwise permanently disrupted, the Karma expended to modify the spell is lost. Suspension can be used in conjunction with the Anchoring metamagic, but the Karma cost for doing so is equal to the Force of the anchored spell plus the Force of any Detection spell used as a trigger. Suspending a Detection spell used in such a fashion will prevent it from triggering its attached anchored spell.
darthmord
NightmareX, nice metamagic.

Got a newsletter I can subscribe to? biggrin.gif
NightmareX
QUOTE (darthmord)
NightmareX, nice metamagic.

Got a newsletter I can subscribe to?  biggrin.gif

Danke cool.gif Unfortunately my work and inspiration is too sporadic for anything consistant, but I've been trying to work on that. Currently thinking about a blog format - maybe somewhat similar to From The Shadows - based on my old campaign newsletter to get things out in an accessible format. Mainly for my players of course, but anyone is welcome cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012