Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Invisible Arms and Armor
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Dender
So, an interesting question has come up in my game. Mostly because I brought it up while designing a magical threat.

If you cast invisibility on a container, then place something inside, is the thing inside invisible?

Or can you see through the container normally to whatever has been placed inside after the spell was cast.

Think about it carefully. If the thing inside is invisible, casting invisibility on a sheet becomes the perfect way to hide a car or something in a car. Just wrap it in the sheet or cover the car in the tarp. If the thing inside is not invisible, we come to the topic of the thread. Invisible arms and armor. reloading might be a bitch, but melee weapons? Full combat armor at all times? It will probably get you in trouble if they mad scan you and find weapons they can't see. Ultrasound and radar get around this as well. There are plenty of ways to GM-screw someone who does this. But the question stands

Invisible car, or invisible armor?
Irian
Aside from the problem, that if the heavy armor is invisible, you're naked (no, you aren't able to wear decent clothing BELOW full combat armor)... Wouldn't it be much easier to simply cast an armor spell on yourself instead? smile.gif
Nikoli
Given that Standard Invisibility is more of a "Your mind doesn't see this" effect, I'd allow what ever was covered to be invis, but every on-looker gets a save and cameras see right through the magic.

Improved invis works on cameras as well as people, in effect bending the light. That would be a item becomes transparent effect, but with all on-looker including sensors making a a resist test.
Dender
You're telling me you cant wear clothes under armor? I find that dubious at best. I've heard many arguments and recall (no book in front of me) rules on layering armor. Unless that full combat armor is attached to your skin (which is not unheard of)

a 8 force armor spell vs a 4 force invisibility spell
Ol' Scratch
Sustained spells aren't dynamic or intelligent unless they specifically state otherwise (such as with the Chameleon or Phantasm spells).

If you cast Invisibility on a suit of armor, poof, that armor is invisible. If you put the invisible armor, poof, you're wearing invisible armor. But you're not invisible. Instead, you'd probably just look ridiculous as you walk around looking like something is dishelving your clothes and making you move pretty ridiculous. It's even more goofy if it's full combat armor, where you're hovering an inch or so above the ground and walking not too unlike Frankenstein's monster.
Adarael
Here's how it works, IMO:

If you cast invisibility on a container, then place something inside, is the thing inside invisible?

Yes, unequivocally.

Or can you see through the container normally to whatever has been placed inside after the spell was cast.

No, that is never the case. Otherwise you run into the problem of "I turn invisible." "Ok lol they shoot at the food u ate 4 breakfast in your stomach! lol!" And other such ridiculousness. Or casting invisibility on a vehicle not turning the occupants inside invisible.

Think about it carefully. If the thing inside is invisible, casting invisibility on a sheet becomes the perfect way to hide a car or something in a car.

A sheet, however, is not a container. It does not close naturally. It must be tied off to do so, and is generally a pain in the ass. Furthermore, the car is never 'inside' the sheet unless the sheet overs more than 3 planes of it's cubic volume - otherwise it's just interposing between the viewer and the occluded object. I would rule such an object ONLY makes the object within invisible if its volume completely encloses the object, even if the container doesn't close. For a mental example of this, think of a garbage can. If I stick a 10 foot pole in the garbage can, the pole doesn't vanish because it sticks out the top. If I put a kitten in, the kitten vanishes because it's completely within the bounds of the can's volume. Otherwise you run into the problem of "Where does the invisbility stop?" If you hang a sheet up and it does occlude the car, why doesn't it also occlude your vision of everything behind it, including buildings and the planet? Do the runners 'stare into the abyss?'

If the thing inside is not invisible, we come to the topic of the thread. Invisible arms and armor. reloading might be a bitch, but melee weapons? Full combat armor at all times? It will probably get you in trouble if they mad scan you and find weapons they can't see.

This is why I don't have a problem with it. Spotting concealed weapons is only partially a matter of seeing the object - most of it involves seeing a bulge under a coat, watching how clothes move, or how the person who's packing is weighed down a little more on one side. It's harder if the object is invisible, sure, but that's why it's a penalty as opposed to "You can't do it." Technically, if I have no Palming and stick a hold-out pistol in a conceal holster and wear a long coat, you can still see if I'm packing - it's just really hard. Same with invisible stuff. What's more, if it's an AR on my back, you'll still be able to see the strap press down over my shoulder, rumple my clothes, et cetera. And it'll still make noise unless I take the time to make sure the buckle doesn't click, the stock doesn't rap against a button, et cetera.

If people wanna wear full riot gear and make it invisible, sure. They're gonna look ridiculous, because whatever clothes they're wearing underneath are gonna be visibly depressed and matted by the armor.
Buster
Sure you can cast Invisibility on a weapon or cover it with ruthenium polymer to make it invisible, but MAD scanners and millimeter wave radar scanners are going to spot it instantly anyways. So feel free to blow your resources on Invisibility and ruthenium polymer weapons, it won't get you into a night club or meeting room undetected.

As to casting Invisibility on armor or a cloak (sheet) and then becoming completely invisible when you put the armor/cloak/sheet on, sure why not? It's exactly the same as just casting the spell on the person, so what's the difference game-balance-wise?

There is absolutely nothing broken about any of those scenarios.
eidolon
QUOTE (Adarael)
And it'll still make noise unless I take the time to make sure the buckle doesn't click, the stock doesn't rap against a button, et cetera.

Which you should. Noise discipline, you know? wink.gif
Big D
Really stupid question...

Will Physical Mask allow you to do essentially the same thing? That is, put on armor, and then mask yourself so that you look (and feel) like you're just wearing normal clothes?

For that matter, won't Physical Mask hide things like chrome, and potentially even weapons (e.g., as long as the gun was slung on your back when the spell was cast, and stays there, you're good)?
Adarael
QUOTE (eidolon @ Sep 23 2007, 11:08 AM)
QUOTE (Adarael)
And it'll still make noise unless I take the time to make sure the buckle doesn't click, the stock doesn't rap against a button, et cetera.

Which you should. Noise discipline, you know? wink.gif

Well, yeah. But it's how you separate out pro runner from punk runner, neh?

And yes, Big D. Physical Mask will do all of the things you describe. The only thing it won't do is mask the 'feel' of the armor - it still weighs what it weighs and encumbers you like it did before.

It can look a lot nicer, though!
Buster
The interpretation of the Physical Mask and Improved Invisiblity spells all comes down to what you think is meant by the term "vision". I think the intention was that it affects normal/low/thermal and even ultrasound "vision" but not radars or magnetic sensors.

Therefore Masked and Invisible equipment and cyber is completely obvious to MAD and millimeter wave radar sensors. Since every night club and office building has those sensors, Mask and Invisibility (even physical versions) don't get you far.
Kyoto Kid
...NM. Already beat to the punch on this one by Buster.

As to using the armour spell, it's one drawback is that it makes you glow.
Irian
QUOTE (Dender)
You're telling me you cant wear clothes under armor? I find that dubious at best. I've heard many arguments and recall (no book in front of me) rules on layering armor. Unless that full combat armor is attached to your skin (which is not unheard of)

I think that you can't wear MUCH clothes under armor. Especially if it's something like real combat armor (that will be rather form-fitting, to increase comfort). If your clothes are fitting too loosely, they will crumple under the armor (which makes them really uncomfortable).

So you'll have to choose something very tight...
Big D
"This alters the subject's voice, scent, and other physical characteristics as well."

That line concerns me, although I'd certainly accept a ruling that says that today's magic can't stop radar, period.

As for the weight and feel, it would still feel the same to the wearer (thus no max wearable armor cheats), but couldn't it feel like a sweater to somebody else (although, if you tug on it, and it doesn't react like a sweater, you'll know that something's up)?
eidolon
IIRC, per previous edition(s), if someone reaches out and touches the subject of the physical mask spell, they feel what's really there. So your bouquet of flowers looks nice, but it still feels like a sawed off shotgun. Likewise, if you reach out and poke an invisible character, you can still do so, because he's still physically there.

Don't ask me where to find that though, I can't recall the specific reference.

Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Adarael @ Sep 23 2007, 12:49 PM)
No, that is never the case. Otherwise you run into the problem of "I turn invisible." "Ok lol they shoot at the food u ate 4 breakfast in your stomach! lol!" And other such ridiculousness. Or casting invisibility on a vehicle not turning the occupants inside invisible.

Erm, no. You cast Invisibility on someone, and that someone is invisible. You don't cast invisiblity on their skin, or their hair, or their shoes... you cast it on them. A single entity/object. And that single entity/object becomes invisible. That includes vehicles or whatever. In the latter case, anything inside the vehicle at the time of casting is effectively invisible as well.

Spells are not intelligent and don't change their effects on a whim.

If you then go and pick up a flashlight, that flashlight doesn't become invisible. Even if you try and tuck it in your currently invisible jacket. To say otherwise is to say that the entire universe becomes invisible since, directly or indirectly, you're in contact with every single thing in the universe. The ground beneath your feet, the air touching your skin, the light reflecting off your body... everything. And if you sit back and nitpick all the minutiae, you have to do the same thing with all things magical, which is equally absurd.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (eidolon)
IIRC, per previous edition(s), if someone reaches out and touches the subject of the physical mask spell, they feel what's really there.

I don't recall 2nd or 1st Edition's version of the spell, but in 3rd Edition, Mask was a full-spectrum illusion. Including scent, touch, taste, and sound.
eidolon
Hmm. Maybe I'm just remembering a house rule from ages ago, then.
Adarael
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Sep 23 2007, 12:15 PM)

Erm, no. You cast Invisibility on someone, and that someone is invisible. You don't cast invisiblity on their skin, or their hair, or their shoes... you cast it on them. A single entity/object. And that single entity/object becomes invisible. That includes vehicles or whatever. In the latter case, anything inside the vehicle at the time of casting is effectively invisible as well.

If you then go and pick up a flashlight, that flashlight doesn't become invisible. Even if you try and tuck it in your currently invisible jacket. To say otherwise is to say that the entire universe becomes invisible since, directly or indirectly, you're in contact with every single thing in the universe. The ground beneath your feet, the air touching your skin, the light reflecting off your body... everything. And if you sit back and nitpick all the minutiae, you have to do the same thing with all things magical, which is equally absurd.

Yes, Dr. Funkenstein. That is exactly what I said in my post. I am assuming in all cases "What happens when you cast invisibility on an object that has other objects inside it." I am not addressing the question of what happens when non-invisible shit interacts with invisible shit.

Cuz that's 100% house rule territory.
Fortune
QUOTE (Big D)
Will Physical Mask allow you to do essentially the same thing? That is, put on armor, and then mask yourself so that you look (and feel) like you're just wearing normal clothes?

Don't know about Physical Mask, but the Fashion spell would do this quite nicely.
Dender
QUOTE (Adarael)
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Sep 23 2007, 12:15 PM)

Yes, Dr. Funkenstein. That is exactly what I said in my post. I am assuming in all cases "What happens when you cast invisibility on an object that has other objects inside it." I am not addressing the question of what happens when non-invisible shit interacts with invisible shit.

Cuz that's 100% house rule territory.

The question I'm posing is not "if i cast invisibility on a container are its contents invisible" but rather "If i cast invisibility on a container, and then place something visible inside, can it be seen".

An invisible weapon will get picked up by MAD, yes, thats not the question. And as ultrasonic is Sound based, I'd argue it pierces invisibility. The problem arises from the invisible katana or gun being used. Well, no, thats not much different from an invisible attacker. The problem is "I want to hide this car in a parking lot. Invisibility Tarp, Go!"

I had forgotten about physical mask.

Casting it on full combat armor, short the boots then. It was an example used to illustrate a point. It could just as easily be someone in an invisible leather jacket with a teeshirt underneath, or a wifebeater, or spandex.

Its not a matter of "will it look silly". Its a mechanic issue. One which, so far, the Doctor seems to have the best, or at least most confident argument for.
Adarael
The answer you are searching for is "House rule territory."

Personally, if I would allow a pre-existing invisibility spell to render an outside object invisible if the added object was able to be completely contained within the invisible object. That's based purely on an ease-of-play issue that was brought up in one of my games, back in 2nd edition.

This is how I reason it:

You are invisible.
You go stand in a pool up to your neck.
The invisibility continues to make you invisible, despite the fact that you are obviously displacing a large amount of water.
You continue to be invisible when you get out, despite water being on you. There will be a circumstatial penalty to it being easier to see you for a bit. But you're not gonna be 100% visible (like a total body film of water should be, given that it's pretty recognizable).

Case 2:

I make my car invisible. It and my 3 friends are invisible.
I step into the car, into the driver's seat, and close the door.
I should logically be rendered invisible rather than a floating guy in the front, because the alternative is to set an invisibility 'state' upon casting that cannot be deviated from even slightly, and I feel that breaks the theme of magic in the game.

In the case of total-body invisibility via an armor suit, sure. Sans the boots? No. Just because I gotta draw the line somewhere, if any part of the interior object sticks out, I figure it's not gonna be rendered invisible.

As to Dr. Funk's argument, yes. Funk is very vocal about what he believes. He'll let you know how things are as he sees them.
Fortune
QUOTE (Adarael)
As to Dr. Funk's argument, yes. Funk is very vocal about what he believes. He'll let you know how things are as he sees them.

That doesn't mean he's wrong. biggrin.gif
Adarael
I know. It also means he's not neccessarily right every time he's sure of something, which is all I was pointing out. In this particular case, he has an opinion, as do I: the rules are mute on what exactly happens in this case.
eidolon
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Adarael @ Sep 24 2007, 12:00 PM)

That doesn't mean he's wrong. biggrin.gif

Doesn't mean he's right, either. wink.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (eidolon)
Doesn't mean he's right, either.

Well, I'll let his track record through the various editions speak for itself, but in my opinion, he has been right much more often than he is wrong ... about actual rules crunchiness, that is. biggrin.gif
hyzmarca
There are advantages to Funk's interpretation
Dender
QUOTE (Adarael)

In the case of total-body invisibility via an armor suit, sure. Sans the boots? No. Just because I gotta draw the line somewhere, if any part of the interior object sticks out, I figure it's not gonna be rendered invisible.

What i mean is, if the armor is invisible and putting it on doesn't make you invisible, then just don't cast it on the boots. Then you have invisible armor, visible boots.

As for the guy in the car, theres another problem.

Guy casts invisibility on a car that has 3 friends in it. He gets in, and looks like China's Flying Army. One of his friends gets out. Still invisible?

The issue i'm having problems making a call on is having your cake and eating it. If you cast invisibility on a car and getting in makes you invisible, than putting something in your pocket while invisible makes it unseen as well. Likewise, picking up a weapon does not make an eerie floating weapon.

Though i keep on coming back to the thought of casting invisibility on someone's skin just to see the muscles.
toturi
QUOTE (Adarael)
The answer you are searching for is "House rule territory."

I would say this: RAW, while providing certain specific guidance, does not make clear how to such illusion spells work exactly.

There are certain advantages and drawbacks to each interpretation.
mfb
aside from the whole invisible container thing, there's one big problem with turning your weapon invisible: you can't see it. that means you can't look through the sights, obviously, so invisible non-smartlinked weapons are going to impose a huge, huge penalty on trying to shoot anything (yes, even at close range). and even invisible smartlinked weapons should impose a penalty, since you can't see the weapon to be sure that you're holding it correctly. you'll likely be able to get a proper stance with your weapon simply by touch, but the fact remains that humans get most of their information visually, which means that no matter what, trying to use an invisible gun is going to cause problems. same goes for invisible melee weapons.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Dender)
The issue i'm having problems making a call on is having your cake and eating it. If you cast invisibility on a car and getting in makes you invisible, than putting something in your pocket while invisible makes it unseen as well. Likewise, picking up a weapon does not make an eerie floating weapon.

The question is, at what point does it make it invisible? Say you have a gun on the floor, you have Invisibility cast on yourself, and some other guy is standing in the corner observing. Does standing in front of the gun make it invisible? Does laying on top of it make it invisible? Does holding it just inside your coat make it invisible? Does putting it in your gun holster make it invisible? Does putting it in your pocket make it invisible? Does pulling out a box you had on you, opening it up, putting the gun inside, and then closing it make it invisible?

At what point does 100% cover make something invisible? What's so special about a container that would make it invisible more than throwing your entire body over it, or simply holding it inside your coat? Or just laying an invisible tarp over it, to use an earlier example? When does the spell go "hmm, okay, that counts as enough cover for me, here you go... poof, you're invisible now, too"?
kzt
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Or just laying an invisible tarp over it, to use an earlier example? When does the spell go "hmm, okay, that counts as enough cover for me, here you go... poof, you're invisible now, too"?

So I can do the Road Runner trick and cover the giant hole with my invisible tarp?
Ol' Scratch
With my take? No. You cast invisibility on the tarp. The tarp -- and only the tarp -- is invisible, no matter if you have it folded neatly in a corner, thrown over a car, or completely wrap a body in it.

You'd have to recast Invisibility to "change the specs" as it were, at which point you're casting it on the object as a whole ("the car with a tarp over it"), not part of it. At which point you might as well just skip the tarp completely, unless you just want to protect your car from the rain or something.
kzt
bummer wink.gif
eidolon
With my take? No. You cast invisibility on the tarp. The tarp -- and only the tarp -- is invisible, no matter if you have it folded neatly in a corner, thrown over a car, or completely wrap a body in it.

You'd have to recast Invisibility to "change the specs" as it were, at which point you're casting it on the object as a whole ("the car with a tarp over it"), not part of it. At which point you might as well just skip the tarp completely, unless you just want to protect your car from the rain or something.

I agree. This is how I run it as well.
neko128
At the risk of being attacked for bringing him up... My take on this is the Harry Potter Invisibility Cloak Method for Invisibility ™.

That is to say, the invisibility - for all intents and purposes - acts semi-intelligently, and is driven at least partially by intent. Magic does, after all, get driven a great deal by intent and symbolism in the SR world! So. Lets go back to our invisible cloak example. You invisify your cloak, and put it over a statue on the pedastol. The cloak almost certainly partially drapes over the pedastol; but the statue and not the pedastol will be invisible, because of the intent. If the cloak is wrapped 3/4s of the way around the statue, it's invisible from the sides where it's covered, but not from the other bit.

As a rule, something contained by an invisible container will be invisible. Someone who gets into a car becomes covered by the car's invisibility. If you eat something while invisible, the food is not now a visible target in your invisible stomach. I'm thinking "enclosed entities", as were referenced by the old barrier rules - a person riding a motorcycle that hit a mana barrier would be in for a world of hurt, but a person driving a car that hit a mana barrier wouldn't be affected at all.

I admit there's a lot of room for beating on my take of it, but it's the interpretation I like the most. smile.gif
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (neko128)
I admit there's a lot of room for beating on my take of it, but it's the interpretation I like the most. smile.gif

That's all that matters.
odinson

If I remember bio right, the contents of your stomach are considered outside your body so then they should stay visible if the spell only affects you. wink.gif

Also, if the flashlight doesn't become invisible when you tuck it under your jacket, if you were to eat a donut you would see it in your stomach, or if you were to light up a cig, the smoke would travel down into your lungs and be visible.
Buster
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Sep 24 2007, 12:54 PM)
The question is, at what point does it make it invisible?  Say you have a gun on the floor, you have Invisibility cast on yourself, and some other guy is standing in the corner observing.  Does standing in front of the gun make it invisible?  Does laying on top of it make it invisible?  Does holding it just inside your coat make it invisible?  Does putting it in your gun holster make it invisible?  Does putting it in your pocket make it invisible?  Does pulling out a box you had on you, opening it up, putting the gun inside, and then closing it make it invisible?

The answer is "Yes" on all counts. If you cast invisibility on yourself and pick up a gun, put it in your pocket, in its holster, or under your coat, the gun becomes invisible. If you pick up your friend, he's invisible too. If you stand in front of the gun it does not make it invisible any more than the whole universe turns invisible just because you're standing in front of the universe.

If you cast invisibility on a car, cloak, or tarp, anything in the car or under the cloak or tarp is invisible too. Better make sure your shoes don't stick out.

It really isn't complicated or overbalancing.
sinthalix
This is my take on it. If we agree that an item placed inside an invisible container is rendered invisible (because it is wholly within the item), then a character wearing a full suit of armor would actually become invisible. Now if that character is not wearing a helmet or gloves, then those body parts would be visible to everyone looking in that direction. It kind of goes along the Harry Potter invis cloak...whatever's covered is invis, what's not is visible. There would not be rumpled clothing underneath, etc, because of the above assumption.

I think it would draw far too much attention to have a head and hands moving around with no body attached...not to mention the mere fact that a simple astral perception check will reveal everything anyway.

As to wearing clothing underneath, SR4 states that a padded undersuit is worn underneath full body armor.

SR3 states: Such armor features a padded undersuit over which
extensive armor plates are attached.

SR1 and 2 say the same thing.

For any of the editions, I would say that normal clothing could not be worn under full body armor.
Blade
My take is that magic, as weird as it is, is still deeply based on people's beliefs and traditional considerations... Both in-game and metagamingly speaking (most spells are variations of usual fantasy spells).

So when you cast an invisibility spell, you'll get that invisbility effect that we're used to seeing in movies, cartoons, comic books, video games... The effect that the tradition of the formulae (and the caster) will instinctively think Invisibility is.

Because there has to be more than just one invisibility spell and each invisbility spell formulae will work differently. To make things simpler, we don't consider each variation, just like we won't consider the differences between an Ares Predator and a Beretta Rhino (name made up on the fly) even if both guns won't be exactly the same. Maybe the intent of the spell caster can even bend the effect of the spell.

An invisibility spell based on the invisible man paradigm won't make clothes invisible as well. An invisibility spell based on the wonderwoman's plane paradigm won't make the passengers of the vehicle invisible.

But there are rules that no paradigm can break, such as casting invisibility on a car to make all passengers invisible in one spell, because it'd be cheating and it doesn't mix well with the intent of the invisibility spell.

Of course, this is just my own take, as many have pointed out we're in house rule territory here.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Buster @ Sep 26 2007, 05:28 AM)
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Sep 24 2007, 12:54 PM)
The question is, at what point does it make it invisible?  Say you have a gun on the floor, you have Invisibility cast on yourself, and some other guy is standing in the corner observing.  Does standing in front of the gun make it invisible?  Does laying on top of it make it invisible?  Does holding it just inside your coat make it invisible?  Does putting it in your gun holster make it invisible?  Does putting it in your pocket make it invisible?  Does pulling out a box you had on you, opening it up, putting the gun inside, and then closing it make it invisible?

The answer is "Yes" on all counts.

Except you just said "yes" that simply standing in front of it makes it invisible, too.

It's a ridiculous concept. Where does the cover start and where does it end? It's the most arbitrary take on the whole thing ever, and it's one that assumes that the spell is self-aware, hyper intelligent, and extremely mutable. Which is expressly something that spells are not.

You cast spells on an object and that's it. That's the end of the decision making process and the spell doesn't self-modify itself. Poof, you made the car invisible. Congratulations. But if someone comes and sits on top of that car, he's not going to become invisible anymore than if he hops inside or hides on the other side of it.

If no one is in the car when you cast Invisibility, no one is going to suddenly become invisible when they get inside. Everything that was inside when you cast invisibility is covered, however, including people who were already inside. It was all one "object." And just like any other spell, you can't specify parts of an object when casting a spell. You can't aim for the tires of a car or the cyberarm of a goon. They're all or nothing, and there isn't anything about Invisibility that makes it special or unique.
Lagomorph
Perhaps some one with more search-fu can find it, but I recall one of the devs saying on DS that a closed invisible door allows LOS for spells because it is now see through.

If thats correct, then invisible items don't invis covered items.

I agree with Doc Funk on this, though I don't think there's a true proper way to play it. As long as the ruling is consistently applied, then play it how ever you want.

edit: I think this is the post I was talking about, but there may be one from synner about it also

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=18685
Buster
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Sep 26 2007, 09:39 AM)
Except you just said "yes" that simply standing in front of it makes it invisible, too.

It's a ridiculous concept.  Where does the cover start and where does it end?  It's the most arbitrary take on the whole thing ever, and it's one that assumes that the spell is self-aware, hyper intelligent, and extremely mutable.  Which is expressly something that spells are not. 

If only you had read the rest of my post, you would have seen the clarification.

You just glitched your Reading Comprehension roll! biggrin.gif
mfb
that's at least partially a failure on a Clarity in Writing roll, since you did in fact say "yes on all counts".
Ol' Scratch
Nope, I read it. Just pointing out that you couldn't even remain consistent in your opinion in a single post. As well as pointing out the absurdity of it all.

How exactly does your method work again? I still can't figure it out. You cast Invisibility on a tarp and now you have a portable super Invisibility spell that can make anything and everything invisible just by... holding it up? And the spell somehow knows what to make invisible (on BOTH sides, mind you)... how exactly?

(Nevermind that you're secretly agreeing me without realizing it. You know, regarding the whole "you cast invisibility on a single object, and everything related to that object is invisible" bit. But we won't mention that because you're just too smart and surely you knew you were agreeing with me.)
mfb
i don't think he's agreeing with you, actually. at least, as i recall, according to your view a visible gun picked up by an invisible man would not turn invisible.
Ol' Scratch
That's part of the problem. He's agreeing in some areas and disagreeing in others, and changing his view from one paragraph to the next. For example:

QUOTE (Buster)
If you cast invisibility on a car, cloak, or tarp, anything in the car or under the cloak or tarp is invisible too. Better make sure your shoes don't stick out.

Though I have no idea why he's concerned about someone's shoes sticking out. All they'd have to do is tuck them back in after the spell was cast. Apparently.

Nevermind that he's also saying that they're no longer a single entity, and that you can target specifics on a target. "I cast my spell on the cloak that guy is wearing."
Buster
Nope, I read it. Just pointing out that you couldn't even remain consistent in your opinion in a single post. As well as pointing out the absurdity of it all.

How exactly does your method work again? I still can't figure it out. You cast Invisibility on a tarp and now you have a portable super Invisibility spell that can make anything and everything invisible just by... holding it up? And the spell somehow knows what to make invisible (on BOTH sides, mind you)... how exactly?

(Nevermind that you're secretly agreeing me without realizing it. You know, regarding the whole "you cast invisibility on a single object, and everything related to that object is invisible" bit. But we won't mention that because you're just too smart and surely you knew you were agreeing with me.)

Why can't you ever have a civil argument?
Ol' Scratch
The same reason you feel the need to hide an insult behind a smiley emoticon, then act aghast and outraged by the response? Or what, should I add a big biggrin.gif to the end of my posts to make it all all right?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012