Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you address a dragon at a meet?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Frag-o Delux
None of my characters will ever meet one that I know of or really want to for that matter. But how would a non-dragon address a dragon if he were to meet one in an offical capacity? Like if you met the President of the US you are supposed to address him Mr. President. What if for instence you meet Ghostwalker would you address him as Mr. Ghostwalker or Mr. Dollmaker or what ever other titles he has bestowed by other dragons, if you know them? Just curious, had the thought while driving home from work.
moosegod
Well, Ghostwalker gets called "Great One" by his human interpreter.

I'd go with the poo my pants and run away route, probably. frown.gif

Realistically- Sir/Madam and Mr./Mrs. Dragon's Name.

Use the common one, I think- e.g Ghostwalker, Dunkelzhan. The others impose familarity. And that's not good. talker.gif
TinkerGnome
Or Mr. Dragon -pleasedonteatme-, Sir.
Kagetenshi
Start with Sir, wait to be instructed to use another title.

~J
moosegod
As far as the Big D went, it would be Mr. President, because he joined the Younger Races in an offical capacity.
Senchae
You don't call Ghostwalker "Doll-Maker", because only dragons use those nicknames for each other. Great One would probably go over well, or other term of extreme respect. I wouldn't call one just by its name unless given permission first.

Lofwyr you could actually call "Prince Lofwyr", if you're pre-2063, or Hestaby "Prince Hestaby", to show their position in the mortal sphere as a member of the TT council. But other than that, wing it with great caution.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (moosegod)
As far as the Big D went, it would be Mr. President, because he joined the Younger Races in an offical capacity.

But only for a few hours.

~J
Nath
You could also call Lofwyr Mr. President, since he is the president (and the CEO) of Saeder-Krupp. In the short story at the beginning of Blood in the Boardroom, Jean-Claude Priault one of the Corporate Court representative for S-K just call him "Master" (in turn, Lofwyr call him "Jean-Claude"). In Year of the comet the chairman of Denver council start with "honored Ghostwalker" once but after that it's only "Ghostwalker" short (while the council members are still addressing to each other with Mr./Ms. or just with their first name). But as they put it, they're cutting the jibber-jabber.
Siege
Kage is right -- start with a general honorific and wait to be corrected.

Unless you happen to find a reputable source of etiquette for dealing with Dragons that might provide a more specific bit of wisdom.

That could also change on the individual dragon's preference and cultural issues relative to current location or perhaps a shared culture among the Greats and similar critters like IEs.

-Siege
last_of_the_great_mikeys
"Yo, big, broad and scaly, howsabout me an' you do the 'ori-zontal mambo? There's a little no-tell mo-tell not too far from here. We could pick up some take-out on the way, then bada-bing bada-boom, it's skin slappin' time! What was your name again?"
Tanka
*chomp*

Done and done, mikey. biggrin.gif
FlakJacket
QUOTE (moosegod)

Actually, since IIRC he didn't take the oath of office before being offed, it'd technically be President-Elect Dunkelzahn. smile.gif
BitBasher
I thought he got dead the night of his innauguration, afterwards.
Tanka
Pretty sure that's what happened... I might check it out in my newly acquired DotSW, if it's in there.
Nath
After a bit of googling on the subject, there are the "inauguration balls" the night after the President and VP are sworn in (ie the 20th January since Roosevelt II and the aptly-numbered 20th Amendment) and the "inauguration eve" the night before. It's not impossible somewhere in SR books the two were mixed up. However Portfolio of a dragon: Dunkelzahn's Secrets makes pretty clear that Dunkelzahn and Haeffner were sworn in before the assassination (timeline page 9 and text page 12).
Squire
The Dragons of the Sixth World Sourcebook covers this issue.

Avoid using the word "Great" unless you are certain the dragon is a Great Dragon. If you call a dragon great, who is not a Great Dragon, (s)he will be highly insulted and will probably eat you.

Many dragons have titles (like Mr. President) that are associated with them which are appropriate.

For the others, unless you are certain of their status as a Great, you should go with the honorific "Noble Dragon."

That is per the D6W SB.
moosegod
I'd better get that all straight for when I go to work for Dunkelzhan.
Cray74
QUOTE (last_of_the_great_mikeys)
"Yo, big, broad and scaly, howsabout me an' you do the 'ori-zontal mambo? There's a little no-tell mo-tell not too far from here. We could pick up some take-out on the way, then bada-bing bada-boom, it's skin slappin' time! What was your name again?"

Indeed. Big, broad and scaley, words used by the wise when addressing dragons the world over.
Kagetenshi
Actually, if he manages to have found Daemon, he might just get lucky.

~J
Eindrachen
I think it depends a great deal on the origin of the dragon in question.

Putting "Master" before the dragon's common name isn't a bad idea at all; it is a sign of respect of the dragon's power and prestige, and that he is in charge of the situation. "Honorable" might be very appropriate for an Eastern dragon; "Noble" might go over well with a Western dragon. No idea about feathered serpents; I might advise "Wise". In place of "Great", try "Mighty"; similar meaning, and without the implications "Great" might make.

Of course, when that dragon corrects you, you would be best advised to remember precisely what to call it henceforth.

All this is aside from actually speaking with such a being...
hp_warcraft
Well my decker would probably use "d00d" which is precisely why he has
been instructed to keep his mouth shut on numerous occasions. grinbig.gif

The only dragon I'm likely to meet in my current game is Hestaby, but
since she has her own tribe of otaku hopefully she is familiar with netspeak
and the typical matrix dweller's complete lack of real-world social skills.
Sonomancer
With a well thought out ambush and a fast get-away car. wink.gif
Fresno Bob
You address them as Your Scaleyness.
Digital Heroin
Bah... most of my character call everyone boy... it's escpecially funny when they're slick enough to pull it off...
locomotiveman
I suppose that you could address a Japanese Dragon as "otaku" in its literal meaning rather then the current or SR forms.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Nath)
However Portfolio of a Dragon: Dunkelzahn's Secrets makes pretty clear that Dunkelzahn and Haeffner were sworn in before the assassination (timeline page 9 and text page 12).

Ah well, I was going off the Press Releases and Scott Commission stuff that FASA had on their site. Guess someone just made a bit of a typing error. smile.gif
Abstruse
Aside from the problem of your average runner on the street not knowing that Orange Queen is Hestaby and Stone-diver is Celedyr, most people would just be VERY respectful. If you're Japanese, DEFINATELY use the honorific "-sama" following the names, and if not, just treat them like you would treat Queen Elizabeth or President Bush if you ran into her/him on the street. You'd probably be confused about what to say, then end up with something muttered along the lines of "Sir" or "Ma'am". Just be respectful and apologize if you're corrected and told to use another name. Dragons may be old and powerful, but they are also smart enough to understand that not everyone knows the ins and outs of Draconic manners.

Also, like was said before, don't call a dragon "great" unless they are a Great. Otherwise, it's insulting. It'd be like walking up to Bob Dole and calling him "Mr. President". It's a slap in the face.

[edit] Oh, and don't use Orange Queen or anything like that, even if you know it through the Dragons post on Shadowland. Basically, you're treating yourself as an equal to the dragon by using their Draconic name, or they might just assume you know more than you should. Either way, just remember the whole thing about being good with ketchup...

The Abstruse One
Siege
How to address dragons?

Carefully.

Applying that stamp can be a bitch... grinbig.gif

-Siege
Jr. Woodchuck
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux @ Nov 21 2003, 07:36 PM)
None of my characters will ever meet one that I know of or really want to for that matter. But how would a non-dragon address a dragon if he were to meet one in an offical capacity? Like if you met the President of the US you are supposed to address him Mr. President. What if for instence you meet Ghostwalker would you address him as Mr. Ghostwalker or Mr. Dollmaker or what ever other titles he has bestowed by other dragons, if you know them? Just curious, had the thought while driving home from work.

Well frag-o its always good to start with a one liner.

"So <pause> ...come here often?"

Additionally, the "Whats your sign?" approach may work equally well on the female of the species.

If you are speaking to a male of the species however, I would suggest to talk about the most recent sporting event.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Abstruse)
Aside from the problem of your average runner on the street not knowing that Orange Queen is Hestaby and Stone-diver is Celedyr,

Maybe not for Celedyr, but is they read Shadowland they could know about Hestaby. IIRC she was outed in Dragons and made some sort of joke about it. smile.gif
Tanka
QUOTE (Dragons of the Sixth World @ p. 17)
*snip*For example, Hestaby is called "Orange Queen." -Eyebright

You mean that the Orange Queen who post around here sometimes is--? -Prole

You were expecting Anita Bryant? -Orange Queen

That enough for you? biggrin.gif
moosegod
I'd be so glad that I have no ablity to mess myself while jacked in.
Dim Sum
"Yo, Tiny!"

"Holy moo moo, you need mouthwash!"

"So, girlfriend, howzit hangin' ...?"

"O most exalted and triumphant, whom the Sun and Moon themselves could not equal in their splendour, majesty, and power; o most worthy of high praise and postrated abasement before whom all should cower in fear and abject awe."
Ancient History
Y'know, the Dragons.PDF does contain a section on this.

Rule of Thumb: Do not start out addressing a lesser dragon as "O Great Dragon"

They will probably eat you, and you'd deserve it.
Dim Sum
AH, I thought you'd disappeared some place? biggrin.gif

You back? For good?
Zolhex
QUOTE (moosegod)
Use the common one, I think- e.g Ghostwalker, Dunkelzhan.

Ok I admit it I am way behind on my reading but i'm working on it. However I have to ask is it stated somewhere that Ghostwalker is Dunkelzhan? Or is it just the current belief? If this is true would you want to address Ghostwalker as Dunkelzhan?
Siege
QUOTE (Dim Sum)
AH, I thought you'd disappeared some place? biggrin.gif

You back? For good?

Dumpshock is addictive -- AH failed his willpower roll.

-Siege
Dim Sum
QUOTE (Siege)
Dumpshock is addictive -- AH failed his willpower roll.

-Siege

He was suffering totem penalties from being away from his domain .... Had to come back to avoid permanent loss of his totem's favour.

biggrin.gif
Kagetenshi
He knows we love him too much smile.gif

~J, rabid AH fanboy
Fortune
QUOTE (E.O.T.L.F.)
Ok I admit it I am way behind on my reading but i'm working on it. However I have to ask is it stated somewhere that Ghostwalker is Dunkelzhan? Or is it just the current belief? If this is true would you want to address Ghostwalker as Dunkelzhan?

I believe that moosegod was listing several examples, and not trying to infer that Ghostwalker is Dunky.

Ghostwalker is most definitely Icewing, the Dunkmeister's brother.
Eindrachen
QUOTE (Dim Sum)
"O most exalted and triumphant, whom the Sun and Moon themselves could not equal in their splendour, majesty, and power; o most worthy of high praise and postrated abasement before whom all should cower in fear and abject awe."

That's pretty funny, actually. Probably be okay with some of them, too...
Zolhex
QUOTE (Fortune)
Ghostwalker is most definitely Icewing, the Dunkmeister's brother.

Ok I thought Lofwyr was Dunkelzhan's brother?
moosegod
I kind of thought he might be Dunkelzahn's son.
Abstruse
Dunkelzahn (Mountaintooth) and Ghostwalker (Icewing) are brothers from the clutch of All-Wing, Big D being slightly older I believe. Lofwyr and Alamais are brothers, don't know either of their parents though. Alamais is the elder brother of that pair, but he was smacked down by the elves in the 4th World and never really recovered his powerbase after that I believe.

The Abstruse One
sir fwank
sup wyrm?
Siege
Player 1: "I've often baited a worm on a hook, but this is the first time a worm ever hooked me..."

-Siege
Senchae
Lofwyr and Alamais(e) are from a very different part of the world as Mountainshadow and Icewing. Doesn't really rule out the possibility that they are related, but I personally don't think so.

(Note also that there's who the egg is related to by blood and then seperately, who raised it...)
Ancient History
One more time:

DUnkelzahn and Ghsotwalker (AKA Mountainshadow and Icewing) grew up in Barsaive (read: the Ukraine) and are brothers; they moved at some point int he past (after the current ED time period) to North America. Their coloration is similiar.

Alamaise and Lofwyr grew up in Vasgothia (or thereabouts). Lofwyr (thought to be the elder of the two) kicked Alamaise' sorry ass down south to Barsaive, where he founded Wyrm Wood. Their coloration is similiar.
Raskolnikov
With a LAW.
mfb
i think a Great Dragon would be more appropriate.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012