Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eyebands does it make sense to you?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
WearzManySkins
Ok looking over Eyebands it does not make very much sense to me

Eyebands
Rating--Essence--Capacity--Cost
1--------0.3--------6----------800
2--------0.4--------8----------1,000
3--------0.5--------12---------1,250

Cybereyes
1--------0.2--------4----------500
2--------0.3--------8----------750
3--------0.4--------12---------1,000
4--------0.5--------16---------1,500

Ok from the description of eyebands they are a visor-like band that covers the head at eye level. To me that says more capacity was well as more essence cost.

Rating 1 eyebands have a +0.1 essence cost and have a +2 capacity over rating 1 cybereyes.

Rating 2 eyebands have a +0.1 essence cost and have the same capacity as rating 2 cybereyes

Rating 3 eyebands have a +0.1 essence cost and have the same capacity as rating 3 cybereyes.

Seems to me for a increased essence and nuyen cost the capacity of eyebands should be greater. Yes the rating 1 eyebands do gain a +2 capacity but the rest do not.

Following the progression of the rating 1 eyebands versus the rating 1 cybereyes it would be like this

Eyebands
1--------0.3--------6-----------800
2--------0.4--------10---------1,000
3--------0.5--------14---------1,250
4--------0.6--------18---------2,000

WMS

Kyoto Kid
...well they do confer 360° vision. if not obstructed by hair or headwear. True there is a -2 modifier to all tests when in motion, but for one, this would offer an advantage during a stakeout or when pulling guard duty at the safehouse.
Kyoto Kid
...double post due to lousy connection mad.gif
de4dmeta1
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
Ok from the description of eyebands they are a visor-like band that covers the head at eye level. To me that says more capacity was well as more essence cost.

Consider that you have to apply capacity-consuming upgrades to the entirety of the eyeband, as opposed to the focused area in a standard cybereye. Even if the mods are just filters between the input device and the brain, there's a lot more inputs that need to be covered by those devices.

Then again, that basic cap. bonus is a bit off-putting. Possibly something for the eventual errata?
WearzManySkins
@KK & de4dmeta1
Well since every vision mod including Ultrasound can be installed by RAW into contacts, yes the Avail number will be 20+.

Size is not a much of a issue, at least for contacts in RAW.

Actually I can think of several advantages if one could put it all into a set of eyebands.
Laser Designator, Laser Range finder, that way you could "paint" a target for a laser for smart munitions, get the exact range, a laser microphone listen in on a conversation in a vehicle. Do not forget the Eye Laser Tool either

To me this eyeband is more a phased array sensor device.

Again what you have stated have some validity but the eyeband rating 1 offers more capacity than a cybereye rating 1, why does the progression not continue on into the rating 2 and 3's?

Yes it could be in the erratta.

WMS
Cthulhudreams
I think you are making a fairly dodgey comparison

1--------0.3--------6----------800 2--------0.3--------8----------750
2--------0.4--------8----------1,000 3--------0.4--------12---------1,000
3--------0.5--------12---------1,250 4--------0.5--------16---------1,500

seems to line up better.

so infact the differences are

-2 capacity +50Y
-4 Capacity
-4 Capacity -250 Yens.

In which case you can ask, why do eyebands have less capacity than the equivalent cyber eye across the board?

However comparing a rating one eye band to a rating one cyber eye is not a valid comparison, because eyebands clearly start further up the scale.
WearzManySkins
@Cthulhudreams
Nothing dodgey on this side of the Pond. smile.gif

It is the half full versus half empty POV.

But regardless how you arrange the numbers the Eyebands have less capacity.

WMS
Cthulhudreams
*grins* Well, there is a difference between 'starting with more capacity and then falling away' and 'always offering less capacity'

A is loony, B is a consistent decision - questionable but consistent.

Edit: Just as a note I agree with your position that its stupid. nyahnyah.gif
The Jopp
Eyeband
Ultrasound Sensor linked to image link
Radar Sensor 4 linked to image link
Co-processor
Reception enhancer 3
vision enhancement 3

Now we have a 360 degree of vision and +6D6 to any perception rolls

We have a -3 due to vision modifiers for radar/ultrasound and -2 for having 360 vision but +6 due to ware - so a total of +1 to perception. Oh, then we have vision enhancement 3 so a total of +4 perception

We DO on the other hand have X-ray vision and millimeter wave radar detection and motion sensor system on anyone within 0-40 meters.

That the eyeband have slightly less capacity is somehow a moot point compared to what one can gain from it. grinbig.gif
hobgoblin
also, the moment something walks into range, one can focus the vision into that area to remove the negative effects of the 360 vision.

i would not be surprised seeing shaved head, black suited bodyguards with these, standing perfectly still somewhere, but constantly scanning the visible area around him and so on.

hell, one can test the effect in some FPS games today. i recall tuning the vision area in the quake games with a command. as long as you remembered that what was in the center of your screen you where mostly ok.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
@KK & de4dmeta1
Well since every vision mod including Ultrasound can be installed by RAW into contacts, yes the Avail number will be 20+.

Size is not a much of a issue, at least for contacts in RAW.

Actually I can think of several advantages if one could put it all into a set of eyebands.
Laser Designator, Laser Range finder, that way you could "paint" a target for a laser for smart munitions, get the exact range, a laser microphone listen in on a conversation in a vehicle. Do not forget the Eye Laser Tool either

To me this eyeband is more a phased array sensor device.

Again what you have stated have some validity but the eyeband rating 1 offers more capacity than a cybereye rating 1, why does the progression not continue on into the rating 2 and 3's?

Yes it could be in the erratta.

WMS

...well there is no reason why you cannot go above the capacity rating. It then subtracts directly from the character's essence. With eye mods being pretty low in essence drain, I do not see this as much of an issue.

The thought of a laser in an eyeband sweeping back & forth and projecting out brings back memories of Gort from The Day the Earth Stood Still or those tin can Cylons from the original Battlestar Galactica series grinbig.gif

by your command...
WearzManySkins
@The Joop
By RAW ultrasound, and radar sensor are not 360 degree sensors.

Also Ultrasound and Radar sensors are head ware not cybereye accessories, so by RAW they can not be installed in cybereye systems.

As for whether or not it is Moot is up for debate, why it is posted here. smile.gif

WMS
WearzManySkins
@KK
Most lasers you can not "see", most of the time you are seeing the IR beam part of the aiming directing system, most lasers are not in the visual part of the spectrum.

WMS
The Jopp
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
@The Joop
By RAW ultrasound, and radar sensor are not 360 degree sensors.

Also Ultrasound and Radar sensors are head ware not cybereye accessories, so by RAW they can not be installed in cybereye systems.

As for whether or not it is Moot is up for debate, why it is posted here. smile.gif

WMS

Actually, they dont say anything about it at all. The closest i've found is that they follow LOS and LOS with eyeband can be 360 degrees.

Note that i never said install IN cyereyes, merely link the ware to the image link INSIDE your cybereyes.

Although I would like a straight answer from the developers though regarding on how eyeband or cybereyes handle the radar system and ultrasound with 360 degree vision. It could go either way.
WearzManySkins
@The Joop
Why would one want an implanted ultravision/radar sensor to be displayed in a image link, since part of the implanting is "wiring" them up to ones brain(visual cortex)?

If you wanted them in an image link, why not just wear them in helmet/goggles/glasses/contacts or the like, then use the image link?

WMS
Apathy
How significant is 360-degree vision in a game that doesn't have facing rules?
Emperor Tippy
It means you are never ambushed. It means that no one ever sneaks by while your back is turned.

I just put a RFID sensor with a camera and all available vision upgrades and a skin link on the back of my head and have it display as a rearview mirror in my image link
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
@KK
Most lasers you can not "see", most of the time you are seeing the IR beam part of the aiming directing system, most lasers are not in the visual part of the spectrum.

WMS

...given the atmospheric quality in most major sprawls (eg mist, fog, smoke, smog etc) the beam would be visible when outside.

Cylons didn't actually project a beam either. It's just the notion of a red light oscillating back & forth in a CZ's eyeband seemed kind of humourous. Give him a chromed dermal sheath, stylised cyberskull, and a voice modulator progtrmmed to emit a tacky electric sounding voice & bingo, instant SR Cylon.
..hmmm, I wonder if you could channel an MP laser through the eyeband (with a boosted IR component)...then you could call him Gort
Lagomorph
would an occular drone installed into an eyeband also get 360 degree vision when seperated?
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
@KK

WMS

...given the atmospheric quality in most major sprawls (eg mist, fog, smoke, smog etc) the beam would be visible when outside.

Cylons didn't actually project a beam either. It's just the notion of a red light oscillating back & forth in a CZ's eyeband seemed kind of humourous. Give him a chromed dermal sheath, stylised cyberskull, and a voice modulator progtrmmed to emit a tacky electric sounding voice & bingo, instant SR Cylon.
..hmmm, I wonder if you could channel an MP laser through the eyeband (with a boosted IR component)...then you could call him Gort

@KK
Well no, if the beam is UV, Xray or Far IR, normal amounts of air borne pollutants, including vaporized human tissue, is not visible.

Most OR lasers have HeNe(near IR) laser pointer/aimer to guide the work at hand. It is the HeNe laser than one will see in the "air" under pollutants/fod/clouds.

If the frequency of the laser is not in the "visual" range of the visual spectrum, you will not see it, even if it is refracting/reflecting off particles etc in the air.

I have not yet seen anything ware's that allow a character to see below (far IR and lower) or above (High UV or higher)

As for facing, IYG the characters never have to say "I am looking around" or "I turn to look at x"?

WMS
Kyoto Kid
...my word, it was all just in jest. silly.gif
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Sep 28 2007, 04:05 PM)
...my word, it was all just in jest.  silly.gif

"Gort! Kyoto Kid barada nikto!" biggrin.gif

"I (Kyoto Kid) die, repair me, do not retaliate."

WMS
Kyoto Kid
...make sure to enunciate the phrase precisely or you will unleash a most unholy army. grinbig.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012