Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Arsenal 4e Cover
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Adam
The gear chapter piece is getting upgraded, too.

[Pretty sure those are the only two in the book that are.]
Grinder
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
QUOTE (Grinder)
And the one piece in the main book, with the guys falling from a building (was it in the Edge chapter/ page?), that's simply crap.

...I hear you on that, it even sub-par compared to the art in Champions I (the original blue cover edition).

A number of the other pieces that were poorly done were several from the Wireless World chapter section (like the strange montage with the car & the woman hacker, the "Jacking In" scene), the full page splash of the Mage in his study in the Awakened World chapter, and that awful splash page in the gear chapter.

Some people complained of the art in 3rd ed being a bit "cartoony" at times, but at least most of it looked professionally finished.

I wholeheartly agree with you. smile.gif
Aaron
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...so, any sneak peeks yet? grinbig.gif

Funny you should ask. I got a hold of an exclusive source and I learned that ...

[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

eidolon
I guess I'm just going crazy. I can't find that Edge chapter picture where I thought I had seen it. Three cheers for senility at a young age! biggrin.gif
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Aaron)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...so, any sneak peeks yet? grinbig.gif

Funny you should ask. I got a hold of an exclusive source and I learned that ...

[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

...cute wink.gif
WhiskeyMac
The pic is on pg. 68
eidolon
In SR4, yes. I could have sworn I had seen it previously (as in SR3).
Gort
I have no hope that any of the art for Arsenal will look much cop, to be honest. The main book has a dreadful cover, much of the art is horrifically dated, bad or both (witness the guy in a belly shirt with a pierced navel). Augmentation has a terrible render that makes you ashamed to own the book.

So why should I expect for one second that Arsenal will have a good cover? It's a great shame that such a good game has such bad artwork, it really kills immersion.
Dashifen
I don't know, Gort. I've liked probably 90% of the art for SR4, so it's always subjective.
Seven-7
Augmentation Cover=Mind bogglingly awesome.

That is all.
Whipstitch
Augmentation has the only cover I truly hate (and by hate, I really do mean hate; I will never purchase the dead tree version because I would literally be embarrassed to approach a table with it; I did however pay through the nose to have the PDF copied and bound at Kinko's). The other covers I was mildly displeased with (except for RH, I like RH), including SM, which everyone else on the planet seems to adore for some reason. Aug & SM aren't all bad though; I actually am rather fond of some of the pics buried deep in the actual book, it's just the covers I dislike.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Whipstitch)
Augmentation has the only cover I truly hate (and by hate, I really do mean hate; I will never purchase the dead tree version because I would literally be embarrassed to approach a table with it).

Have you actually seen the cover of the dead tree version? I ask only because I hated the cover of Augmentation on all the online previews I saw, but when I actually had a physical copy in my hands, it looks a lot better.
Or maybe that won't help at all. wink.gif
Whipstitch
Yeah, I've seen it. It's the foreshortening and the sense of proportion. I just hate it.
Moon-Hawk
Alright then. Fair enough, just checking. wink.gif
Zolhex
QUOTE (Whipstitch @ Oct 3 2007, 02:34 PM)
I did however pay through the nose to have the PDF copied and bound at Kinko's).

Wow I only paid 18 bucks and change to get mine done.
Whipstitch
Well, I usually just buy a hardcover and leave it at that. So purchasing a PDF and then getting it printed is more than I'd normally spend. It seems worth it though, I like how I can lay the big spiral bound version flat with no problem, for one thing, and the pdf comes in handy from time to time due to the search function.
Cabral
QUOTE (Whipstitch @ Oct 3 2007, 02:40 PM)
Yeah, I've seen it. It's the foreshortening and the sense of proportion. I just hate it.

I wouldn't say I hate it as much as "How soon can I cover it with something better?"

The proportions aren't bad, the foreshortening is almost nonexistent. The CG looks like he went a little nuts with effects without paying attention to quality. Judging from the features I would guess Marc Sasso was German* which may explain why it looks like someone dented her jaw.

It's got many elements demonstrating he has talent, but as completed piece it is very lacking. Overall, I am disappointed in Marc Sasso and Robyn King-Nitschke

*Artists have a tendency to draw/sculpt/etc their own ethnicity/proportions. The features look very germanic. Games Workshop's Golden Demon sculptor had a long torso relative to his legs and so does the demon. Additional, the German culture places less emphasis on faces in art. Werner Klocke is one of Reaper Miniature's most talented mini sculptors but for the longest his faces were simplistic because in Germany it wasn't important.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Cabral)
demenstrating

Don't they have pills for that? nyahnyah.gif

Seriously, though, interesting art critique.
Grinder
QUOTE (Cabral)
Judging from the features I would guess Marc Sasso was German* which may explain why it looks like someone dented her jaw.

Awesome. rotfl.gif

According to his website, Marc lives in NY. Doesn't say much about his origin, I have to admit.
Cabral
Moon-Hawk: nyahnyah.gif Fixed. smile.gif

QUOTE (Grinder @ Oct 4 2007, 01:29 PM)
QUOTE (Cabral @ Oct 4 2007, 02:48 AM)
Judging from the features I would guess Marc Sasso was German* which may explain why it looks like someone dented her jaw.

Awesome. rotfl.gif

According to his website, Marc lives in NY. Doesn't say much about his origin, I have to admit.

:shrug:

Never met the guy or been to his website. Just guessing from the augmentation cover. I generally like his art so maybe I am more disappointed that it turned out the way it did.

I don't know if he was trying to make them look Germanic, maybe he his of Germanic ancestry, maybe it just turned out that way.

But looking at his bio, the overdose of digital media probably is the biggest problem with the cover.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012