Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Book Club
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Ancient History
So, would anyone be interested in doing a book-club type thread? Picking a recent sourcebook (or old one, I'm open) and reading about a chapter a week and then discussing it?
Kyoto Kid
...any edition? (as there are only a handful for 4th ed.)
coolgrafix
Sounds like a good way to force myself to actually read the material. I'm cautiously onboard. =)
Ancient History
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...any edition? (as there are only a handful for 4th ed.)

Sure.
fistandantilus4.0
I agree with CoolGrafix. First, might get me to finish reading the details of Augmentation which I [i]still/i] haven't made the time to do, and feel guilt for. Second, would be a good way to point out potential plot hooks and conspiracy materials to potential GMs out there, and point out other fun details people might have missed.

So yeah, I'm game, although I'd suggest starting with 4th edition, and then maybe jumping back to old school stuff since more people are less likely to have the old school first or second edition books.

Are you limiting to sourcebooks, or including adventures as well?
DTFarstar
I'm tentatively onboard, but if it is a book I don't have I'll probably have to sit out. I'm broke like crazy lately(I can't find a job that will work with all my crazy labs/classes) so if I don't have it, I can't get it.

Chris
Caine Hazen
Hells yeah. This sounds like a great idea... too bad we don't have the IRC running to host discussion groups.

Count me in.
eidolon
Caine said I had to play, too. wink.gif

Depending on how many people will be involved in any given conversation, there's Skype (10 people conference for free). Actually, if we made a Skypecast out of it and just didn't tell anyone else about it (by this I mean keep party-crashers away from it), there might not be a limit as to how many people could join. Not sure, I haven't tried one yet.
Ancient History
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Are you limiting to sourcebooks, or including adventures as well?

I'd suggest going with a vote.

Place and plotbooks are easier to talk about in some respects than sourcebooks and adventures, but if y'all want to get into talk about the nitty-gritty of cyberware mechanics in Augmentation, or the (non)effectiveness of the goons in On The Run, I'm down with that.
eidolon
Oi. Honestly, I'd have to vote against getting into it about rules. We get enough of that on here anyway.

We could just gather up a list of what people are interested in reading, and then just start going down the line. People that wanted to participate on any given book could jump in, and if it's a book you're not interested in, you can sit it out. On that note, it might be necessary to skip around just so people don't end up sitting out for months at a time.

(Just tossing out ideas.)
Ancient History
Which is really where a forum has a slight advantage over a chatsession; you can (theoretically) give more thought to a subject before replying.
BookWyrm
I'm almost done reading Augmentation myself, but I had to stop reading Palladium's Hades book to do that.
The Cybermancy rules still put a chill up my spine.
toturi
What kind of "talk about" exactly are we talking about? I'm in, if I can find the time.
fistandantilus4.0
When mentioning Augmentation I was more referring to the 'fluff' and not the rules them selves.
Ancient History
Whatever strikes the readers fancy as something they want to point out or discuss.

You might really like some little bit of shadowtalk or a particular characterization of a shadowtalker in the intro fiction for a chapter, or you might comment on how the format or presentation of the chapter is lacking, for example. Talk might delve into the metaplot, such as someone asking for clarification or someone else pointing out an obscure reference.

The real difference between a book clubbish thing and the forums as they stand is a more focused, organized reading and discussion of a book by chapter to further understanding in depth and get perspective.
MaxHunter
I like the idea. I must warn that my time has become very limited recently so I am afraid I am not going to be a prolific poster. But hey, I could lurk in there, couldn't I?

Cheers,

Max
ludomastro
Please count me in. Also, please keep in mind that my selection of material is somewhat limited.
Ancient History
Well, we seem to have enough interest, so I'll open the floor to suggestions. I'll start the ball rolling by suggesting Runner Havens or Emergence.
eidolon
Of those, I vote Runner Havens.

I'd also like to put forth Dragons of the Sixth World.
kzt
I'd vote for Runner havens, as I actually own that one and haven't read it. And I think technomancers are too silly for words to fully express.
DTFarstar
I vote Runner Havens as well, though dicussing the fluff in Augmentation would be fun. I'll be getting Runner Havens as a birthday present from someone later this week. At least I better.....

Chris
Kerris
Runner Havens happens to be my favorite of the books I own currently. I'm really all about the fluff and setting, and that's what RH is all about. I'd be happy to discuss anything in that book.
Prime Mover
Up for any myself, RH sounds good.
JBlades
I'm up for this, and vote RH as well. Sounds fun. smile.gif
Kyoto Kid
..definitely RH as I didn't pick up Emergence since I heard it dealt mainly with TMs
Caine Hazen
I'll vote Emergence to be difficult. Just cause I'd like to see some more debate about the happenings in the book. It would seem more like covering "current events" vs a place book.

Just my 2 nuyen.gif
FlakJacket
I'd say do Runner Havens first and then Emergence afterwards.
BookWyrm
Agreed. Runner Havens then Emergence.
Ancient History
I'd say we have a general consensus, then. The first book will be Runner Havens, and the first chapter of that is Hong Kong.

Would a week be sufficient time for everyone to read the first chapter?
Kyoto Kid
...works for me.
swirler
wow sounds great
Eleazar
Count me in too. So a week from now would be the 13th. Do you mean for it to be every Saturday then?
coolgrafix
So I guess there'll be a week to read the chapter in question, then a week to discuss in the forums, then rinse and repeat?
Cang
as a lurker, i think this is really cool, and might get me to post as well. nyahnyah.gif
Gelare
Perhaps announce an arbitrary time for the discussion thread to be made and invite people for an opening volley of posts then?

I'm not that into Runner Havens myself, but I'll probably join in the action for a future book.
fistandantilus4.0
Hong Kong - Groovy . Gonna invite DE?
JBlades
Ok, RH chapter 1 by Saturday the 13th. Got it. cool.gif
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Hong Kong - Groovy . Gonna invite DE?

I'm keeping an eye out. cool.gif
Ancient History
QUOTE (coolgrafix)
So I guess there'll be a week to read the chapter in question, then a week to discuss in the forums, then rinse and repeat?

Yup.

Perhaps announce an arbitrary time for the discussion thread to be made and invite people for an opening volley of posts then?

I'll make the thread next Saturday, just to keep things organized. I'll probably name it something clever like "Book Club: Runner Havens."
dog_xinu
I am in. I could use more re-reading of the materials.. I vote for SR4 material or stuff that could be used as SR4 material.
Ophis
This sounds a fabulous idea. I'm looking forward to this, though wished Emergence was the first book...
Fortune
QUOTE (Ophis)
... though wished Emergence was the first book...

Me too, since I just finished rereading it last night. biggrin.gif
Ancient History
We'll get there, we'll get there...
casarez
I would enjoy this and am in as well.
FlakJacket
When you say the Hong Kong chapter I'm assuming you mean the whole chapter correct? Since that clocks in at fifty-two pages or so, nearly half the whole book, might it not be easier to maybe divide it up into smaller chunks? This would allow people with less free time to participate and mean you could get more focused discussion on the material since you're not having to cover so much of it at once. Just a thought.
Ancient History
Well, let's open it up to the floor. What do y'all think? Break up Hong Kong (or give more time to read it?)
eidolon
Breaking it up would probably be a good idea. I don't have it handy, so no suggestion as to a chunk.
DTFarstar
*shrug* Up to you guys, I don't have too much free time, but I read really fast so... whatever.

Chris
fistandantilus4.0
I say break it in half then if folks are concerned about the time constraints. I suggest pg 33 at In the Neighborhood Since Street Beat still talks about the Executive Council.
Kerris
Honestly, 52 pages isn't that bad. It's a standard weekend's reading for a lot of college classes. And we have 4 days until the deadline. That's 13 pages a day.

Of course, RH is also my favorite book thus far, so I have a lot of interest.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012