Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AP on Lasers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Garrowolf
I am working on a Rifts game and I am using some of the SR4 damage codes to convert it into my own system. I am trying to find the AP for some of the lasers that have been in the game in SR3 but I can't seem to find them.

Does anybody know what the AP would be?

And please I need something else besides AP half.

If anyone has any ideas about plasma weapons as well it would be helpful too!
DTFarstar
If you don't like half, then -6 or so wouldn't seem out of place to me.

Chris
Garrowolf
Thanx! That's not half bad! wink.gif
gknoy
I imagine that thermally and electrically resistant armor might help some too vs plasma, and lasers would basically just be about thermal dissipation. Or, that's how it seems.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Garrowolf)
And please I need something else besides AP half.

Well, that's what the book says.
kzt
Typically weapon lasers are expected to damage by superheating a small spot on the targets skin to plasma. This superheated gas expends like a chunk of HE detonated in contact with the target and either breaches the target skin or causes spallation as the inside of the skin is ejected at high speed into the interior. On a human it's going to blow them apart like they were hit by an HE round.

If you allow room-temperature superconductors you can stop most lasers, but think really, really hard before just deciding to do that.

Plasma weapons, as depicted in fiction, are typically also kinetic, in that you have a small chunk of superheated plasma traveling at relativistic speeds.
Eryk the Red
Well, that's what the book says.

Luckily, he wasn't asking the book for an answer, then.

I'd go with -6, also, probably. Depends what style you're going for. I like the sound of lasers with low DV and AP -10.

For plasma weapons, I'd likely go with a lower AP but a higher DV than the lasers.
Riley37
QUOTE (Eryk the Red)
I like the sound of lasers with low DV and AP -10.

Those ones make the sound "hummmmmmm" or "bzzzzzt", right?
The ones with high DV and AP-10 require a large power source and make a louder, more ominous hum.
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Riley37)
Those ones make the sound "hummmmmmm" or "bzzzzzt", right?
The ones with high DV and AP-10 require a large power source and make a louder, more ominous hum.

And those guns will amaze and astound you, right?

Of course, by 'amaze' I mean 'maim,' and by 'astound' I mean 'render you indistinguishable from the remains of the ground you were standing on.'

grinbig.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012