Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hoodoo II
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3
SinN
We need to talk.Dante's Inferno, one hour. 2nd floor. Do NOT make me come looking for you. Disconnects.

Kadaj chuckles a bit under his breathe.

I wonder if he relizes I only do it because I respect him. But that doesnt mean I have to like him. Where the hell is Bogart?

Send a text to Bogart.

Sorry to bother, any luck yet? I am on a schedule.
fistandantilus4.0
The reply back is a short, and rather terst text.

<<<<@Kadaj - I said 24 hours. It's been two. It will be longer if ye' insist on interrupting me every hour.>>>>
SinN
Kadaj looks at the time on his phone.

Oh well Ill be damned...

Gets into his car and heads for Dantes.
fistandantilus4.0
It takes a good hour of driving to finally get to the Inferno, mostly because of city traffic around the club it's self, snarling up as non grid-guide users clash with those guided by the system. Old memories of the havoc caused by the second Crash still linger with many Seattlites, those ill feelings often expressing as doing without technology they don't 'require'. It makes traffic a foul mess, as well as dozens of other trickle down affects the tech hating minority inflicts on those around them.

As expected, the club is alive and thrashing, street and corp kids mingling together, mixing flavor of life and ability to pay to make the unique taste of Dante's Inferno. Red lights cast everythingi n the area in a devilish hue, while AR displays of the club's interior taunt and entice those that must wait outside, or don't have the influnce, street cred, or cold hard cash to get access to the higher levels. Kadaj, having a little bit of each, is quickly admitted, sliding smoothly into Envy, the first lair of the the club.
SinN
Mmm...Home sweet home!

Head to the second floor.
fistandantilus4.0
Kadaj makes his way to the darkened glass elevators 'guarded' by an ork woman dressed like a succubi, complete with actual horns, and bat wings of some sort. The black leather bikini clad woman scans his 'link as he approaches, and apparently finds him worthy, opening the elevator for him, allowing him to be 'elevated' to the second circle. The short elevator ride affords and excellent view of the first level, the more common people of Envy, all vying to make themselves important enough to warrant the trip he's now taking. The glass car deposits him on the second floor, Gluttony, a smorgasborg of flavors and sensations for the tasting. There are three bars, as well as a food bar adorned with all manner of delectable deserts. Gluttony of course takes many forms, and dealers can be seen dealing all manner of chemical and technological drugs for the discenring buyer around the outside of the level. More towards the center, joy boys and girls display their wares in rythm to the music, offering yet another flaor for the night and those with cred. Club goers drink it all in, literally, partaking of what the Inferno has to offer, as well as each other, in a hedonistic revelry that would do Pan proud.
SinN
Kadaj finds an empty seat and sits down. As a waitress aproaches, he gives his order.

Hello dear, Id like a double shot of Rum. Followed by two more doubles. Strictly alchohal tonight. No suprises now.
He smiles oh so smugly.

Now I wait for the half twit. Hopefully he leaves the other half at home.
fistandantilus4.0
The double shots are deliverd, spaced out enough so that the enjoyable memory of one has just begun to fade as the next arrives, leaving Kadaj without a pleasantly warm sensation all over. It's not the belly warmth of whiskey, but it's an all around pleasant sensation. Time passes mostly unnoticed as he takes in the sights and sounds of the wild abandon of a people partaking in vice believing they are unobserved. 'Gluttony' certainly lives up to it's name as the crowd takes and takes, dozens concerned only with their own wants and desires, caring nothing for the beings around them.

Kadaj thinks on that for a time, until the elevator once again opens, admiting Grunge, looking decidedly out of place in a drab long coat. He must have paid a hefty bribed to be admitted looking like that.
SinN
What in Ghedes name?

As soon as Grog aproaches:
Aww. Are you and Dreg sharing clothes now?
fistandantilus4.0
Grog looks down at himself looking a little embarrased.

I'm trying to blend. I thought maybe if I went as a 'runner' instead of a club kid. He hangs his head a bit. Still had to bribe the bouncer to let me in though.

Looking defeated, he slides into the booth across from Kadaj.

So... what now?
SinN
After Kadaj finished ridaculing Grog for his outfit, he continues.

It seems you and I know the same people Grog. I would have never expected that someone who runs with that twit Dreg would have a contact as high as Nathanial Majere. Ill admit, I am impressed. Perhaps I was wrong about you. In any case, Id like your help. I feel I can tell you what Im doing. Knowing that you serve him, you're bound to secrecy as to his doings and whereabouts. Is this correct?
fistandantilus4.0
Grog sits up straighter at the mention of the elf, surprise and waryness clear on his face. He seems less afraid than he was, more on guard now. Apparently this was something best kept very secret, and well guarded. He nods slowly.
SinN
Well arent we testy?

Relax young one. Secrets are safe with me. I just need to know a bit more about Nathanial so that I may feel at ease with what Im going to be doing for the next few days. Now, be a good boy. Tell me what Id like to know.
fistandantilus4.0
Grog siles a bit despite himself. You know that thing people say when they're interogating someone; 'They might do something later. but I [/i] will[/i] do something now'. I'd rather you do something now than face him later. Better the devil you know, I say. You might kill me, but he'd do worst.
SinN
Sometime Scud I feel you hardly know me at all. You have no idea where Ive been, or what Ive done. Your half twit buddy Dreg has an idea. He thought it neccessary to dive into my past. Ask him what I did. And the manner of which I did it. You recall when he took some time off from running the shadows, due to injuries sustained on a job, and one of his decker contacts were mutilated around that time, wasnt he? But Im not here to threaten you. I just need information, Ive already gotten most of what I need from another source. And I assure you that your master aproached me not less than a few hours ago about something very secretive. Id like to bring you in on it, on two very specific terms. One: Dreg does NOT know about it. Though Id love to see the look on his face if he were to hear that I am working together with his childhood friend on a conspiricy, and he isnt invited, he isnt to know about any of this. And two: I have your utmost loyalty in exchange for mine. Are we agreed?

Kadaj sits, his smile faded. Now with a look of absolute seriousness. Awaiting Grogs awnser.
fistandantilus4.0
He considers for a moment, sitting quietly. I'll help, and Dreg stays out of it. My loyalties aren't to you though. But I will give you my word that I won't turn on you, and I won't spill anything. I don't trust you, simple as that. But I can put that aside for now. Good enough?
SinN
Better than Id hoped, actually. Id like to speak to you more privately. This is a touchy matter. To be fair, and to let you feel me to be more trustworthy, Ill let you pick the place. Kadaj looks around then speaks a bit more quietly. See what you can find on a man calling himself, Braska. Im awaiting some information from one of my contacts, in the meantime, Id like you to do some legwork. Kadaj slides a piece of paper across the table. Heres my contact information. When you find something interesting, let me know.
fistandantilus4.0
His eyes go wide for a moment, only a moment. Apparently he isn't a very good poker player. Braska? Whacha want to know about Braska for?
SinN
Kadaj jumps a moment, almost spitting out his shot of rum.
Would you be quiet you fucking idiot! Did I not say this was a secretive and touchy matter?! Not to be discussed here?
Kadaj sighs.
I swear, you spend too much time with Dreg. I suppose he can rub of on you...or whatever it is you two do with eachother.
Kadaj smiles as he waits for Grog to get the joke. After a few moments of blank stare he continues.
Lets leave now, you get some information on him. All that you can, and then we'll talk about why. To put you at ease, it was your master that directed me to you on this matter. So rest assured that this concerns him.
fistandantilus4.0
Skud looks uncomfortable, but finally nods.
Alright fine I know some place more remoteThe ash fields Redmond If anyone interrupts us itherei we can just geek 'em
He looks uncomfortable with the idea, but he's already come this far. Slowly, he stands, his eyes still on Kadaj as if he's waiting for him to lunge at him or something.
Give me an hour and a half. At that, he leaves.
SinN
Kadaj smiles and waves his fingers.

Toodles.

Well, that was easy enough. It appears monkeys can learn their lesson the first time. Now....I suppose I wait. Ill just make my way to Lust level....

Kadaj takes the elevator standing on his cane as the door opens, smirking as he looks into the crowd on the floor.
fistandantilus4.0
"On the Floor" is perhaps a misnomer. More correctly, only perhaps a tenth of the crowd is actually 'on the floor'. More are taking their drug induced lusts to the many dark corners and private rooms of Lust. Only a few get so caught up in the thrumming music and body heat to being rutting there and then on the dance floor while others cheer them on. Good ol' Seattle night life.

**** Appx 1 1/2 hours later

The 'drive ' through Redmond is always interesting. It consists mainly of dodging road blocks the locals have set up, molotov cocktails the other locals throw, and the pot shots that the more well-to-do locals take. Eventually, calling upon the powers of Ogoun to conceal and protect his vehicle, Kadaj arrives at the edge of the ash fields, the remnants of the volcanic explosion from decades past that cleared this once thriving city. A single vehicle, well armored and marked by a number of ricochets off it's armor, sits idling. Grog isn't stupid enough to wait outside his car in this place. Too many gangs and worst literally call this area their Hunting Ground. If nothing else, there shouldn't be anyone eavesdropping here at least.
SinN
Kadaj walks to Grog.

You hear alone?
fistandantilus4.0
Grog steps out of the vehicle as Kadaj approaches, and somehowmanages to bite back a smart ass reply that would likely get him killed.
Instead of answering the question asked, he begins talking about Braska.

I don't know what you know about dragons, but Dunkelzhan had this network of Watchers. Basically they're this network of spies, fixers, that sort of thing, all over the world. Braska's like that, but for Ryumyo. His cover is a old antique book store. Dead tree versions, that kind of thing. He also deals in talislegging. You know, stolen telesma that's smuggled in from different places, hits the black market. He's supposedly loosely connected to one of the Choson Rings, not the yakuza. Kinda makes sense in a weird 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' sorta way, since Ryumyo isn't getting on real good with the Shotozumi-rengo. He's still trying to get control of 'em though, and the rumors I hear say that Braska helps arm the Rings with mojo so they can take down some of the Shotozumi loyalists in the rengo, make it easier for Watada stooges to infiltrate it. Rymyo's really interested in getting back into Seattle, and stomping on anyone and anything that gets in his way on that right now.

The shop's drekkin' easy to find. It's in the fraggin' White pages. Occult Emporium Etc. Really bland, btu that's the way he likes it. Random, but I hear he deals in opium too. That good enough for ya'?
Grog shifts uncomfortably from one foot to the other, clearly uncomfortable with the current situation.
SinN
He pauses for a moment. Attempting to make the situation a bit more tense for the young man. Yes. I must say, I am impressed with the work you've done here tonight. I may need you later. I have been given permission on your use.

You seem to be more useful than the ones you suround yourselves with, Grog. Much more professional, better in almost every way. With the exception of Grace, that gang you run around with is going to get you killed, your rep ruined. I would suggest a change of scenery, and drop that stupid handle Dreg thought up for you. You sound like a bunch of cavemen when spoken together. Understand, Im not meaning to insult you, but from one professional to another, its difficult to take you seriously when you insist on parading around with those....children. Do you understand what Im saying? Ive got plenty of room on my side, the grass is greener, as they say.

Kadaj smiles a moment. The kind of smile where all his teeth are showing, but also the kind of smile one would use in place of a mask, that would send chills down anyones spine.
Better the devil you know.....
fistandantilus4.0
Grog seems to pull himself together a bit, steeling himself. .... Fuck you Kadaj. We done here?

SinN
This seems to amuse him.

Yes, you may go now.

Once again with the smile.

Grog, dont forget. I sparred your life. You made an attempt on me. Their were four of you, and Im still alive. Dont forget the courtesy Im doing you. If I were to see the other three, Id kill them on sight, torture them first, but kill them, none the less. I wont do that to you. For one reason or another, I like you. I dont think you wanted to kill me that night. I beleive Dreg made you do it. Persuaded you in some way that wasnt between old friends. You hesitated, I saw it. You had a shot had Catch and myself. You sparred mine, or severe possible damage. So Ill spare yours. But if you ever talk that way to me again, I will skin you alive. Pass the word to your buddies, Cyrus, B, and oh yes, Dreg. Ta-ta.

Kadaj waits for Grog to leave before he turns his back to him.
fistandantilus4.0
He bristles again, but again hesitates, apparently weighing the odds. Just because I didn't, doesn't mean that I can't. You told me once that I've got no idea who's got your back. Well you've got no idea who's got mine! And it ain't Dreg either. What's betwen you two can be between you two.
SinN
You're absolutely right, you could quite possibly kill me. It is very possible that you could point your gun at me right now and end it all. But you won't....
Kadaj looks serious for a moment.
Something stops you. You dont like killing. Even men like me. I see it everytime you fight. You're still young, the world has been mostly kind to you. You'll learn. As long as you keep hangin around him, he will never leave it between me and him. He will keep forcing you to get involved. He will keep using you. I think you're better than that. I dont care if you like me or not Grog. I just know hes going to burn you soon. So when it happens, and it will, I dont think those that have your back will defend you after Dreg gets you to blow up Matchsticks again.
fistandantilus4.0
For a long moment, Grog says nothing, looking as if he's tring to find the words. More than anything he seems surprised at Kadaj's even tone and lack of threats.
Roll Leadership (Persuasion if you have the specialization)
SinN
No Leadership or Persuasion
Charisma-14
Roll-5,4,5,5,2,3,1,6,6,1,6,6,2,5= Net success's
fistandantilus4.0
Let's just say that for now, I'm not against you, but I'm not with you either. Same goes for Dreg. Which ever one of you tries to involve me in your fight again, I'll go with the other guy. Fair enough?
SinN
Kadaj raises an eybrow and gives a small grin.
I guess Il be seeing you soon then. Now go on and get out of here. Ive got some work to do. If you get anything else, anything at all, call me. If you cant find me, call Catch. She'll know where I am.
fistandantilus4.0
He nods hesitantly, but seems a bit more pleased than a moment ago. Eyes still on Kadaj, he moves back to his car, slides in side, and shuts the door. Grog drives off the rough gorund slowl, then speeds up as he heads back out into Redmond.
SinN
Kadaj watches as Grog drives away.

Well, time to call it a night.

Kadaj climbs into his car and drives home.
fistandantilus4.0
Morning brings the unappreaciated glare of the sun, somehow poking through the heavy bank of clouds that normally grace Seattle's skies. Mercifully it passes quickly as the rain clouds gather again, light rain drops splattering the window of Kadaj's doss. No messages yet, but the intel isn't expectedor scheduled until some time in the afternoon. That leaves all morning for Kadaj to find his own touble, and caf to brew.
SinN
Kadaj climbs out of bed and walks to the shower. After hes finished washing, he stands under the water. This is the only time of day he allows himself to think freely. Images of his late wife come to mind. The good times, then the horrible. His time at the hospital. I could've been there right now.. Now, Catch De'Lynn. Kadaj smiles a bit at this thought. He doesnt know where he'd be with out her. His other half, really. They think alike, even talk the same. It doesnt help that shes extremely beautiful. Hmph. The legs..... He often wonders if there could be a future. No...never..not now.
Kadaj turns off the water and towels himself off. Walks to his room and quickly gets dressed. I think Ill go with the black suit today Kadaj takes the black pin stripe suit and slides it one. Complete with a top hat, white gloves, and his sword cane.

I guess I should check out this book store. I think I have a phone book around here somewhere...

Kadaj searches his apartment for the phone book and eventually finds it in a random cupboard.

Lets see....Occult Emporium...... There it is. Got it.

Kadaj rips the paper out of the book and heads out the door to his car. Then to Braska's book store.
fistandantilus4.0
THe Occult Emporium Etc. is situated in the southern rim of Downtown Seattle, where the high rises and chauffered sedans give way to mom&pop shops and auto cabs. No one's surprised that it's raining today, the toxicity index suggesting protective clothing and an umbrella, but a breath mask in unnecessary. The shop is nestled between a laundromat and an all hours check processing and cash advance store, with only a small aleey way on one side. The shop is a slim two stories tall, probably loft apartment accomadations above, with slim barred windows. The place has a feel of age to it, a respectability one wouldn't usually expect to find secreted away between dirty laundry and questionable speedy loans. The street does regular business, with people coming in and out of the laundromat and other businesses with regular frequency, but not so the antique book store. No one takes care to avoid it, it simply seems to have tha unnoticed quality so common to places that have been in one place forever and that no one has a particular use for, yet some how seems to endure. They'd only notice it if it was gone.
SinN
What a lonely, little place. Well, I always have been a trend setter.

And with a tap of his cane, Kadaj crosses the street onto the other side and into the old book shop.
fistandantilus4.0
There's a simple *ding* from an actual bell positioned above the door, the littlehunk of mettle chiming merrily. The shop its self is old and a bit musty, having the sense of age that not a lot of dusting will give to a place. Low shelves and glass display cases are everywhere, making a small maze for customers to traverse as they move through the shop. Books, manuscripts, even rolled scrolls fill the glass cases, while a few more modern data sheets and files lay across a number of shelves. There is no AR here, no computer interface or automated greeter. A NAN shaman would feel right at home if the place was so strictly regimented and orderly. The one counter at the back without a book on it, apparently for transactions, has a soft looking deep green piece of cloth over it, as well as spectacles, pens and a stapler all arranged with exacting precision. The shop looks to have been arranged by someone with either a serious case of OCD or a more serious case of NALD (Not A Lot to Do).

Perception Test

Through the dim light, Kadaj sees the heavy black curtain behind the counter open a few moments after he walks in, and older japanese male stepping out. He's short, even for a Japanese, his dark hair worn back and loose, with a long fu-man-chu mustache and actual glasses. A ridiculous grin usually afforded to chinese laundromats is plastered across his face as he clasps his hands together in a bow.

Ahhhh... a cus-tu-mar. You ahr so wery welcome heear.
He bows again, ridiculously, sounding eager and pleased of Kadaj's patronage. He also sounds like something out of a bad sushi commercial.

My name is Bras-ka, how ma Ie heelp yu to-day? See an-y-thang you lieeeke?

[ Spoiler ]
SinN
Perception-5
Intuition-6
Roll-1,3,2,5,4,6,6,3,5,6,5
Total net success's=6

Kadaj takes a moment to understand what the man is saying.

Uh..Yes. Ive been looking for a few classics as such. Perhaps I can have a look around first?
fistandantilus4.0
offff cou'se. Fee' frae.

Witin the door frame are the tell tale signs of sophisticaed scanning equipment. What looks like a MAD sensor and a millimetric radard scanner.
SinN
Kadaj begins eyeing books around the shop to see if theres anything interesting. After a quick glance to make sure no on is watchin him, he looks astrally to make sure theres no watcher spirits about.
fistandantilus4.0
Much of the book store glows with the soft light of wards. Numerous wards encase the books, inscribed on their glass housings. Like much of the barrens, this place also has a weakbackgorund count, although most of it seems to be alleviated, or perhaps aspected to a certain degree. It's clear looking around astrally that the proprieter has a good sense of the astral, as the energies here seem to be constantly flowing, good Feung Shui put to use. There are indeed a trio of little spirits, most likely watchers, flitting about the astral within the shop.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012