Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Maxing out my Ally Spirit
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
CrystalBlue
Ok, so get this. I was looking at the rules for Ally spirits and my conjuring and binding specilist. And I was thinking, after I've initiated a few times, how powerful could I make this thing and would it be feasible to summon and bind him.

So, I took my fox shaman and looked at summoning a man spirit. Jacked up my Charisma to 8, my Willpower to 7, Magic is 9, Summoning 7, and binding 7(9) for Beast Spirits.

Step One: Get a lodge of force 18. I think you can tell where this is going by now.

Step Two: Initiate three times. The metamagic I want to get are, in this order, Ally Spirit, Channeling, and Invoking. Mmmm....invoking....

Step Three: Get the money for a Binding foci, Summoning Foci, and a Power Foci. Preferably a combined force of 18. I'm gonna need that stuff...

Step Four: Research the Ally Spirit formula...and this is kind of a hard part and could take a while.

Step Five: Get some serious friends, one with high First Aid, and another mage with some healing ability. Friends are needed when you're sitting there, chanting, for 18 straight hours.

Step Six: The actual roll. By my estimates, to get the most out of my spirit, I need to roll like a mad-man, blow as much Edge as I can, and hope for good healing rolls by my friends.

Summoning the Spirit
My Magic + Summoning + Power Foci VS Spirit Force
9 + 7 + 3 VS 18
19 VS 18

On this one, I'm fairly decent against the spirit. We can buy each other a tie, but I need a net success to summon him. Assuming he buys out, I'm taking at least 5 DV in physical drain. If he rolls, I'll be taking A LOT more...so we're hoping he buys it. ^.^

Drain Test
7 + 7 = 14

That's a buy of 3 DV, but I'm rolling this, as I'll need no damage for the binding test. Right after this test, if I can't roll away the drain, I'm gonna have to hope that my friendly healing mage can pull something off. I'm holding my Summoning Foci 3 in case I have to roll drain like a mad-man. biggrin.gif

Binding the Spirit
My Magic + Binding + Power Foci + Binding Foci VS Spirit Force X 2
9 + 9 + 3 + 6 VS 36
27 VS 36

He would be buying 9 Sucesses. That hurts and I have to hope to god the spirit feels cocky enough to buy the sucesses instead of rolling, cause that'll help me greatly. Otherwise, I'm in trouble. This is where I also blow half of my edge on exploding my dice. And hoping the spirit doesn't do the same. Oh please let it be a cocky spirit...

Drain Test
7 + 7 = 14

Again, only a buy of 3 DV. Assuming he buys his successes AND I didn't take any damage back in the summoning of the spirit...I can buy the successes and stay standing. If not, I have to blow the rest of my edge trying to explode the dice.

If everything goes well and I can bind that sucker without dieing in the process, what I'll have is a force 18 ally spirit that has been invoked to a Great Form spirit. And then I have channeling. After getting to know my walking god alter ego, I'd channel him into myself and...mmmm....fun times. biggrin.gif

But this is all just me dreaming. Unless someone can figure out if this isn't possible or if it's more possible then I've listed here. biggrin.gif
Buster
The money for the foci isn't an issue if you have Enchanting, but have you added up all the karma you'll need for all this? You'll be long sick of the game before you get anywhere near that much karma.
darthmord
There is some debate on the Invoking as the writer of the Ally section didn't want to allow Invoking but a subsequent revision by other parties took out the verbage that would have prohibited Invoking.

Everything else looks reasonable based on what I remember of the rules since I don't have my SM book with me.
Stahlseele
tone it down a bit . . force 15 . . or maybe even 10 . . it's bad enough that way and pretty much safe to assume that you could pull THAT one off . .
CrystalBlue
Oh, I understand that the only way this works is with a Karma of 300+. I plan on this guy being an NPC that my characters are going to work for. He's a fox shaman with a mission or quest to heal the world of the wounds what it has taken (ie toxins, radiation, trash). Borderline eco-terrorist...but kinder and gentler. ^.^
Irian
Can't the Ally also use Karma to prevent being summoned and bound? Such a powerfull spirit won't come like a dog just because someone calls... smile.gif
HappyDaze
Can't the Ally also use Karma to prevent being summoned and bound?
Karma - no. Edge - possibly.

Such a powerfull spirit won't come like a dog just because someone calls...

That statement presumes that the Ally even exists prior to the magician creating it. In some views, the Ally comes into being through the summoner's action. Trying to shuck it at that moment would be akin to an infant willingly attempting suicide rather than being born. I might see an Ally trying to shuck the summoner's control later (under the prescribed conditions), but not during the act that forms its being.
raggedhalo
Um, you can't magically heal damage caused by Drain or Fading...
darthmord
You can't magically heal Physical Drain Damage? Page and book citation please? (I'm at work and don't have my books with me)

Even if true, you can still use First Aid and with high enough skill & hits, patch a person up back to normal.
pestulens
You can only use one focus on a given test, this includes the associated drain test.
on the other hand, ally spirits are by definition willing partners rather than servants so you probably don't have to worry about the spirit spending edge.
raggedhalo
http://www.shadowrun4.com/resources/faq.shtml#4

The answer to the first question makes the point very explicit.
Blade
Whenever I see the topic title, at first I always read "Making out (with) my Ally Spirit" and think "There's not dikote in SR4 (yet)!" silly.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (pestulens)
You can only use one focus on a given test, this includes the associated drain test.

Not true. You could use a Power Focus on the actual test and then something like a Summoning or Spellcasting Focus to help resist Drain.
FrankTrollman
Step Four: Research the Ally Spirit formula...and this is kind of a hard part and could take a while.

Uh... yeah. Good luck with that. I'm thinking that you're looking at a Rating 18 Astral Quest. Um... good luck with that too.

I also don't really see what the Channeling is for here. Seems like a severe waste of time.

In any case, if you really want to get yourself a Force 18 Spirit, it can be done. Not the way you've planned out, but it can be done. You'll want Ally Spirit, Centering, and Sacrifice. Yes. Seriously. Sacrifice.

So first off you're confronted with the unenviable task of attempting to Summon a Force 18 Spirit. You roll however many dice you roll, and it rolls 18. You could spend an Edge to reroll failures and probably win, but fuck it - Burn an Edge Permanently to get an extraordinary success. Boo-yah! Unfortunately, now you resist Drain, which means that you can't just Burn an Edge to pass through this. Instead, you have to actually resist the drain, and you'll want to resist it all because you're about to go up for the Binding and there's no sense going into that injured.

So you sacrifice one of your team mates. I'm not even kidding. They sit there like a suckker and you hit them with an ax while summoning your spirit - they take about 7 physical and you don't take that much. You resist 5 physical and should be able to do it withot problems.

Now it's time for the Binding. The spirit will roll about 12 Hits. That's bad. But again, we're just going to Burn an Edge to make that problem go away. Now it's time for Drain resistance. Problematic. It's time to hit another team mate with an ax - that drops our expected take from 24 down to 17. So we're going to then have to get about 6 hits on Drain Resistance to stay awake - something we desperately need to do.

And that can be done. We're totally in. All it took was a ricockulous astral quest; a near fatal injury to three members of the team, 3 initiate grades, 144 extra Karma, 2 permanently burnt Edge points (and probably two more Edge besides), and of course a little luck that the spirit doesn't roll substantially over average and leave us resisting 40 Physical and just exploding anyway.

But hey. At the end of the day you are the man with a spirit that can grab Ghostwalker by the nuts and rip his scaly ass in half. That's worth some risk.

-Frank
Jaid
QUOTE (pestulens)
on the other hand, ally spirits are by definition willing partners rather than servants so you probably don't have to worry about the spirit spending edge.

no. the summoning/binding/casting/whatevercausesdrain test is a separate test from the drain test.

therefore, a magician can use a power focus on the first test (provided the roll includes magic) and then use another type of focus to assist on the drain resistance test, which is a different test entirely.

as far as 'easier' ways of doing this, traditionally i believe you would burn edge for an automatic critical success...
darthmord
QUOTE (Jaid)
QUOTE (pestulens @ Oct 10 2007, 09:06 AM)

no. the summoning/binding/casting/whatevercausesdrain test is a separate test from the drain test.

therefore, a magician can use a power focus on the first test (provided the roll includes magic) and then use another type of focus to assist on the drain resistance test, which is a different test entirely.

as far as 'easier' ways of doing this, traditionally i believe you would burn edge for an automatic critical success...

I believe there was an errata / FAQ item that took away drain resistance assistance from spellcasting.

It was some statement about spellcasting foci (which by their nature require a category) and apparently clarification was included that spelled this out but at the same time, cut out the ability for spellcasting foci to be used in drain resistance tests.

With that in mind, RAW + Errata/FAQ = Power Focus is better.

I don't know for certain if that applies to Summoning foci. I'd have to read my books and check the online resources (can't go to SR website at work).
pbangarth
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)

You could spend an Edge to reroll failures and probably win, but fuck it - Burn an Edge Permanently to get an extraordinary success. Boo-yah! Unfortunately, now you resist Drain, which means that you can't just Burn an Edge to pass through this. ...

Now it's time for the Binding. The spirit will roll about 12 Hits. That's bad. But again, we're just going to Burn an Edge to make that problem go away. Now it's time for Drain resistance....

All it took was a ricockulous astral quest; a near fatal injury to three members of the team, 3 initiate grades, 144 extra Karma, 2 permanently burnt Edge points (and probably two more Edge besides), and of course a little luck that the spirit doesn't roll substantially over average and leave us resisting 40 Physical and just exploding anyway.

I wrote the SR helpline quite some time ago with GM fear about a PC thinking to use burnt Edge points during the summoning/binding process. Basically, two burnt Edge points could get an out-of-the-box PC a bound Force 12 spirit. I figured a spirit would counter this with its own Edge burning.

Rob Boyle answered, suggesting the GM should do his bit to overrule such abuses, and agreed that a spirit would indeed burn an Edge point, at least after the PC did it in the summoning and then proceeded to attempt a binding. We agreed that in an opposed test, if both opponents burned an Edge point, it would cancel out, and an actual roll would be required. Then the spirit could watch with glee as the PC burned in his own drain.
FrankTrollman
We're talking about an Ally here. It's a Loyalty 6 Contact. It's not going burn permanent Edge to fuck you with fire.

-Frank
pbangarth
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Oct 10 2007, 11:49 AM)
We're talking about an Ally here. It's a Loyalty 6 Contact. It's not going burn permanent Edge to fuck you with fire.

-Frank

According to page 104 of Street Magic, second paragraph under "Conjuring Ritual", the ritual is complete only after the summoner pays Karma, which follows upon a successful binding.

Failing the drain and dieing precludes spending Karma.
darthmord
QUOTE (pbangarth)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Oct 10 2007, 11:49 AM)

-Frank

According to page 104 of Street Magic, second paragraph under "Conjuring Ritual", the ritual is complete only after the summoner pays Karma, which follows upon a successful binding.

Failing the drain and dieing precludes spending Karma.

But the spirit you are conjuring is an Ally spirit according to a template / recipe you created / found / acquired. The very ritual is to summon a custom designed spirit whose loyalty to you absolute (at least at first).

In essence, the spirit is designed to want you to bind it. In this I would have to agree with Frank in that it's not going to try and screw you over on the initial summoning / binding. It may very well do so later but that depends on how you have treated it.
CrystalBlue
Honestly, I think it all depends on how nice you make the spirit to you. Techincally (and this is as technical as I can get) if you're creating the spirit, it hasn't formed it's stats yet, just it's force. So that's why it's own stats are not factored into the initial summoning and such. But, that's technically. And I do agree with the loyalty thing. For my game, this character did indeed participate in a bunch of astral quests, all centered on getting access to the 18 force quest. After pulling that off, the spirit was impressed enough to allow itself to be summoned. The shaman just needs to finish the ritual. The spirit will still test him to see if he's still worthy, but it won't out-right kill him because he can.

And I like the idea of the Sacrificing. ^.^
hyzmarca
Actually, according to the rules you summon a normal spirit and the binding ritual transforms the normal spirit into an Ally based on the template you choose. It is the spirit equivalent of ordering a pizza and then biosculpting and permanently p-fixing the deliveryman into your own personal bunraku slave.

Reasonably, very few spirits would appreciate someone attempting to transform them at such a fundamental level.
pbangarth
Page 52, SM (Under "Ally Conjuration"): "This Metamagic grants her the power to mold and enhance a bound spirit she already possesses according to the 'blueprint' of the ally spirit formula."

The bound spirit is not yet an Ally spirit.

Page 104, SM: "If the binding is unsuccessful, the ally spirit never takes shape ... the character must spend the predefined amount of Karma or the ritual fails."

The ritual is not complete until the Karma is spent. Until the ritual is complete, there is no Ally spirit to make decisions, only a spirit.

DTFarstar
hyz, if it is that bad for a spirit you might as well add "burn 1 permanent edge to counter the spirits burned edge" to the cost of binding an ally because if it is that horrible a thing then EVERY spirit is always going to burn edge to resist it.

Chris

Well.... except the ones that like to be dominated.
Fortune
QUOTE (darthmord)
I believe there was an errata / FAQ item that took away drain resistance assistance from spellcasting....

... I don't know for certain if that applies to Summoning foci.

Still waiting on an answer from Rob about that, but that Errata change (strangely and illogically), if true, only applies to Spellcasting Foci, not any of the others.
Stahlseele
alternately . . magician with bioware, specifically pain editor, which let's you ignore ANY stun damage and gives you +1 on willpower, while engaged . .
Fortune
QUOTE (Stahlseele)
alternately . . magician with bioware, specifically pain editor, which let's you ignore ANY stun damage and gives you +1 on willpower, while engaged . .

Ignore the effects of any Stun Damage. You still take the damage and fall over when it gets too much.
Stahlseele
Pain Editor: The editor is a cluster of specialized nervous
tissue designed to filter sensory stimuli. As long as the
pain editor is active, the user can ignore the injury modifiers
of Stun damage and will not fall unconscious when the Stun
damage reaches its maximum
. The subject feels no pain and
is unaware of the extent of damage taken without examining
herself or being informed by a biomonitor (see p. 329).
While active, the pain editor provides a bonus of +1 to the
user’s Willpower attribute, but reduces her Intuition by 1
point (never below 1). Additionally, all tactile Perception
Tests receive a dice pool modifier of –4.

if that has not been changed by some revision or something else i don't see that happening . .
Mr. Unpronounceable
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Oct 11 2007, 07:09 AM)
alternately . .  magician with bioware, specifically pain editor, which let's you ignore ANY stun damage and gives you +1 on willpower, while engaged . .

Ignore the effects of any Stun Damage. You still take the damage and fall over when it gets too much.

Incorrect, actually:

QUOTE (sr4 p340)

As long as the pain editor is active, the user can ignore the injury modifiers of Stun damage and will not fall unconscious when the Stun damage reaches its maximum

You don't drop till you fill your physical from overdamage.
FrankTrollman
Pai Editors do work to soak large amounts of drain. But um... we're dealing with overcasting here. The Pain Editor is useless (except for the +1 Drain Resistance die).

-Frank
Fortune
QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable)
You don't drop till you fill your physical from overdamage.

Which I define (I believe correctly) as 'too much'. wink.gif
Stahlseele
oh, yeah, been a long day at work x.x . .
*shrugs* with that thing just go as high as you can while staying in stun and you're all set . .
Fortune
QUOTE (Stahlseele)
if that has not been changed by some revision or something else i don't see that happening . .

Well, Stun Damage rolls over into Physical Damage after the Stun track is full. If you keep taking Stun Damage after that, you fall over when the Physical track is full.
Mr. Unpronounceable
true enough, and pretty broken...maybe not as much as the radar implant though.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (DTFarstar)
hyz, if it is that bad for a spirit you might as well add "burn 1 permanent edge to counter the spirits burned edge" to the cost of binding an ally because if it is that horrible a thing then EVERY spirit is always going to burn edge to resist it.

Chris

Well.... except the ones that like to be dominated.

Logically, Bunraku slaves should also burn Edge to escape their fate. But, Bunraku is still a booming business.
DTFarstar
I thought most NPCs didn't get edge? I know spirits have it, and prime runners, and I vaguely remember some suggestion that a group of bad guys get a pool of edge = to the highest(or maybe it was number of guys) edge there, but for some reason I thought your average joe on the street did not get edge.

Chris
Zhan Shi
Speaking of making out with an ally spirit...should someone become intimate with a spirit, can a child result from such a union? Merlin, for example, was said to be just that. And what about children sired by possesing/inhabiting spirits? Are there any Qualities that result from having a spirit "parent", assuming it's even possible in the SR mythos? Imagine the "Spawn of Verjigorm"...I imagine it as being along the lines of HP Lovecraft's "Dunwich Horror".
Ravor
My understanding is no, in the Sixth World you can't have children with spirits although if I remember correctly it has been stated that Astral Sex is a viable option.

However, I've been told that in the Fourth World it was possible, but I'm not really all that familar with Earthdawn so I could be easily mistaken...
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Ravor)
but I'm not really all that familar with Earthdawn so I could be easily mistaken...

Paging Ancient History... Paging Ancient History... Bobby, are you there?

smile.gif
Jaid
QUOTE (Ravor)
My understanding is no, in the Sixth World you can't have children with spirits although if I remember correctly it has been stated that Astral Sex is a viable option.

However, I've been told that in the Fourth World it was possible, but I'm not really all that familar with Earthdawn so I could be easily mistaken...

aina had a child with a horror.

i would say that's proof that it was possible in the 4th world wink.gif
Stahlseele
whyt's it with people screaming bloody murder about Bionic Dix and Cyber-Tits but wanting to have sex with basically everything ?
and would that be necrophile as ghosts are technically not alive?
hyzmarca
Why do you think you're supposed to get your Ally dikoted before having sex with it. For protection.

A hybrid-merge Fly-woman-man (male spirit in a female body) gave birth to a half-Invae baby in canon. So yes, it is possible for spirits to reproduce with metahumans. At this point in the mana cycle it may be limited to Inhabitation spirits in metahuman bodies, but it is possible. At any rate, it'll probably only work if the mother has a physical body, but one can't be certain.
Zhan Shi
Ah yes...Universal Brotherhood. The artwork for that baby was interesting.
Ravor
Well I have always personally classified beings from the Deep Metaplanes apart from spirits as they tend to follow slightly different rules.
Big D
This thread is made of win and nightmares.

At least there are (apparently) no rules for enslaving a free spirit as an ally... yet.

I will note that with some extra abuse (stat buffs sustained by something as simple as a F1 housecat ally), an ordinary human can soak (assuming edge spend, not burn) an average of 10DV (+5/9 of their initiation level if they have centering, plus foci) per drain roll and tank 13S+22P DV (depending on whether you're overcasting) between both drain rolls. I'm not totally certain if you have to be conscious when you spend the karma; if you overflow on the bind drain (*after* succeeding on the roll), does the ally still go poof?

Now, if you have karma to burn, pain editor+high initiation+centering lets you almost summon Cthulu as an ally; add in sacrifice, and you might get Hast--err, that guy.
Narse
A few things:
1) I don't believe ally spirits can be spirits of man. SM isn't explicit, but it does seem to state that you summon and then bind the spirit and that it doesn't have a form before the binding is successful and you spend the Karma. Further evidence: allies' stats are straight force instead of using spirit type modifiers to each stat. Thus specializations and summoning or binding foci wouldn't work frown.gif (a power focus though, should).
2) Allies don't by default have possession. Of course if you are of a possession tradition you can give it possession as one of its powers since it is normally available to spirits you summon. But why bother? Inhabitation is way more hardcore grinbig.gif.
3) Where is this burning edge for exceptional success rule? I don't remember that one.
4) Unless I remember something completely wrong, Binding drain is usually twice summoning drain (unless you're binding an invoked spirit, in which case it is THREE times the summoning drain)
5)Um, I'm assuming this is SR4 cause of the edge references (and the form) but, DANG your stats and skills are high! (multiple Exceptional Attributes & Aptitudes?, via a nice GM I'd guess)

Um, not really on topic, but wouldn't Gostwalker also have an Ally spirit. I mean you don't actually think he's going to spend his karma upping his strength to 46 do you? He already knows most spells, and has really incredibly good skills (sorcery group 8, etc.) Or are dragons incapable of creating allies? Wouldn't that be interesting?
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Narse)
Um, not really on topic, but wouldn't Ghostwalker also have an Ally spirit. I mean you don't actually think he's going to spend his karma upping his strength to 46 do you? He already knows most spells, and has really incredibly good skills (sorcery group 8, etc.) Or are dragons incapable of creating allies? Wouldn't that be interesting?

Dragons are capable of creating ally spirits, they just usually choose not to; "the idea usually does not appeal to us," according to the First Wyrm. The only dragon specifically mentioned as having an ally is Ryumyo; they ally's name is Jurojin, and he supposedly makes great form spirits and many adult dragons look like wimps.
Big D
QUOTE (Narse)
A few things:
1) I don't believe ally spirits can be spirits of man. SM isn't explicit, but it does seem to state that you summon and then bind the spirit and that it doesn't have a form before the binding is successful and you spend the Karma. Further evidence: allies' stats are straight force instead of using spirit type modifiers to each stat. Thus specializations and summoning or binding foci wouldn't work frown.gif (a power focus though, should).
2) Allies don't by default have possession. Of course if you are of a possession tradition you can give it possession as one of its powers since it is normally available to spirits you summon. But why bother? Inhabitation is way more hardcore grinbig.gif.
3) Where is this burning edge for exceptional success rule? I don't remember that one.
4) Unless I remember something completely wrong, Binding drain is usually twice summoning drain (unless you're binding an invoked spirit, in which case it is THREE times the summoning drain)
5)Um, I'm assuming this is SR4 cause of the edge references (and the form) but, DANG your stats and skills are high! (multiple Exceptional Attributes & Aptitudes?, via a nice GM I'd guess)

Um, not really on topic, but wouldn't Gostwalker also have an Ally spirit. I mean you don't actually think he's going to spend his karma upping his strength to 46 do you? He already knows most spells, and has really incredibly good skills (sorcery group 8, etc.) Or are dragons incapable of creating allies? Wouldn't that be interesting?

I'll give it a shot, see if I can be coherent this late at night...

1) Ally spirits are kind of every type in your tradition and no type at all, at the same time. I would say that "ally" would be a distinct type as far as mentor bonuses went, which means that existing mentors wouldn't help. However, per RAW, you can give your allies any power from any spirit type you can summon.

2) My understanding (and I've been wrong on this exact subject before) is that you always have a choice between Inhabitation and (Materialization OR Possession), with the latter depending of course on your tradition. Is there a point to not using Inhabitation if you're a Possession tradition? Well, it has its own set of options; your ally only has to Possess something when it needs access to the material world. It's somewhere between Inhabitation (you're stuck in there) and Materialization (go where you like, but no DNI or stat stacking for you).

3) It's in there, I'm just too out of it to go looking right now.

4) Binding drain is exactly the same as summoning drain; you're just facing twice as many dice, which may be what you're getting at, but isn't quite the same thing. I still think invoking and allies don't fit together under RAW, but if it's allowed, yeah, you're playing Russian Roulette at the "win the game or die" level.

5) If you mean my math, that's not natural anything. That's assuming all 9s from stat buff spells that are being sustained by another ally so they don't cost you dice while you summon the big one.

As for why dragons don't have them... IMHO, that's a personality thing. Dragons are very private, manipulative, untrusting, and egocentrical. And that's just the good ones. For all its supposed loyalty, an ally is an outside party that could potentially be a liability to the dragon. Heck, the way dragons treat everybody else, an ally might take on the same personality, and try to break free at the next upgrade--even if it's a thousand years from now. That would be a singularly bad thing, as an escaped ally would know all of the dragon's deepest secrets, and naturally have a strong desire (revenge, self-preservation, you name it) to use those secrets to eliminate the dragon. It's a risk, and therefore dragons are unlikely to take it.
Narse
Um, can't you only have one ally at once? (and upgrade it for twice the karma cost?) Or did I get the wrong impression from that section?
Fortune
QUOTE (Narse @ Oct 22 2007, 08:38 AM)
Um, can't you only have one ally at once?

There is no such limitation.

Also note that Ghostwalker is extremely likely to have one or more Ally Spirits, as he is renowned for his unique abilities when it comes to Spirits.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012