Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bursts.. Narrow & wide... anything in between?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Negalith
I have a character that uses automatic weapons a lot. I've never much liked having to put all my eggs in one basket by choosing narrow or wide. What do people think of a kind of middle ground option....?

Burst +1 DV and -1 defensive pool
Long Burst +2 DV and -2 defensive pool
Full burst, +4 DV and -4 defensive pool

Also... I'd kinda like to see the negative to defensive pool changed to a bonus to strike (but that would be odd with recoil wouldnt it).... Why? Bob the ganger sucks with a gun. His agility is 2 and his heavy weapon skill is 2. He wants to shoot a stationary object 30 ft away with his machine gun. After cuttling loose full burst after full burst, not a single bullet ever strikes the unmoving target. With the -9 for recoil, poor Bob has no dice to throw no matter how many thosands of rounds he throws in the target's general direction. Sure the immoble target would have a -9 to dodge if it were ever forced to.. after all... there are bullets flying EVERYWHERE except for exactley where it is.

I miss the old target number system where 6s kept going up so even if you sucked, after hundreads of trys a fluke success was at least possible.

FrankTrollman
The Reoil system is frankly dumb. I don't even use recoil penalties. I have an entirely arbitrary system comparing weapon recoil to character strength. Characters who lack the strength to control their weaponry get fucked, and characters with sufficient strength get bonuses from firing more bullets.

-Frank
Fortune
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Oct 11 2007, 05:22 PM)
I have an entirely arbitrary system comparing weapon recoil to character strength.

Care to share in a bit more detail? smile.gif
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Negalith)
I have a character that uses automatic weapons a lot. I've never much liked having to put all my eggs in one basket by choosing narrow or wide. What do people think of a kind of middle ground option....?

Burst +1 DV and -1 defensive pool
Long Burst +2 DV and -2 defensive pool
Full burst, +4 DV and -4 defensive pool

Also... I'd kinda like to see the negative to defensive pool changed to a bonus to strike (but that would be odd with recoil wouldnt it).... Why? Bob the ganger sucks with a gun. His agility is 2 and his heavy weapon skill is 2. He wants to shoot a stationary object 30 ft away with his machine gun. After cuttling loose full burst after full burst, not a single bullet ever strikes the unmoving target. With the -9 for recoil, poor Bob has no dice to throw no matter how many thosands of rounds he throws in the target's general direction. Sure the immoble target would have a -9 to dodge if it were ever forced to.. after all... there are bullets flying EVERYWHERE except for exactley where it is.

I miss the old target number system where 6s kept going up so even if you sucked, after hundreads of trys a fluke success was at least possible.

Well your "middle ground" rule probably won't unbalance the game so go for it if you want. My players seldom want anything but massive damage though, as they always hit anyway.

As for the example of firing against a stationary large object, I don't think you're applying the rules right. A narrow burst actually hitting means that a high percentage of the rounds fired in a relatively short burst actually hits the target, while the narrow one you spread it around to make it harder for a target to dodge.

What you said about bob firing thousands of rounds sounds more like suppressive fire. Now, since the target is immobile, and certainly has no edge, then it is automatically hit and takes normal damage.
Blade
Bob the ganger can do a suppressive fire if the stationary object doesn't have any Edge.

Personally I had the same thought one day about the possibility to shoot more than 2 bullets in 3s for SA weapons. I tend to explain the slow rate of fire by saying that runners are pro and will tend to shoot less but hit more, but it doesn't really work with non-professional characters. And what if someone wants to shoot all his bullets to try to hit a target?

The quick rule I've found is to allow the character to have a +1 modifier for each bullet he shoots after the first one (I'm not sure how to limit the number of bullets he can shoot in an IP) but if he hits he only does the base damage of the weapon. Of course it can't be used with a called shot. Maybe I should also make it easier for the target to dodge the attack.

Another option I'd like is to be able to empty your clip on a target to make more damage, for example when a angry hellhound is rushing towards you just want to empty your Predator without trying to adjust each shot. But I can't find a non-broken way to allow it.
laughingowl
QUOTE (Negalith)

Well this one is an easy fix...

Make all Sixes exploded (not just ege dice) Its listed as one of the optional sidebar rules IIRC.
Eryk the Red
It would be easy enough to say that for each bullet in the burst after the first, you can choose to give the target -1 defense, or add +1 DV.

I've thought about it, but I don't do it in my game just to keep things simple.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Blade)
Bob the ganger can do a suppressive fire if the stationary object doesn't have any Edge.

Personally I had the same thought one day about the possibility to shoot more than 2 bullets in 3s for SA weapons. I tend to explain the slow rate of fire by saying that runners are pro and will tend to shoot less but hit more, but it doesn't really work with non-professional characters. And what if someone wants to shoot all his bullets to try to hit a target?

The quick rule I've found is to allow the character to have a +1 modifier for each bullet he shoots after the first one (I'm not sure how to limit the number of bullets he can shoot in an IP) but if he hits he only does the base damage of the weapon. Of course it can't be used with a called shot. Maybe I should also make it easier for the target to dodge the attack.

Another option I'd like is to be able to empty your clip on a target to make more damage, for example when a angry hellhound is rushing towards you just want to empty your Predator without trying to adjust each shot. But I can't find a non-broken way to allow it.

Emptying guns? That's called fluff. As a GM you can describe the gangers running towards the Runners blazing away... even though you only actually check to see if 2 shots hit.

If the effect of shooting wildly was more effective than careful aimed shots, than that would be the order of the day for the professonals. It's not like ammo is expensive (in real life!).

Laughingbowl your fix would not help ganger B to shoot a full auto burst, as the recoil would mean he would have no dice that could "explode."

Whilst in 3rd ed you never lost dice for penalties, only the target number increased (which could still always be achieved with luck).

I'm glad it's not like that anymore though.
Orient
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
I have an entirely arbitrary system comparing weapon recoil to character strength.
-Frank

I'd love to get a glimpse of that, too.

I think I remember you posting somewhere about a set of house rules that emphasize skills over attributes a bit more than in SR4. I like that idea, but I imagine that this sort of house rule on recoil might counteract that to a degree. Well, maybe. <<Grin>>

Not that I can really comment on recoil rules vs. reality. I'm a skinny guy with no automatic weapons, so I can really only look at these things from a game-balance perspective.
FrankTrollman
Heck, now that I live in the Czech Republic I don't even see guns anymore. My nots are unfortunately in the United States. But here's the gist:
  • Weapons have a strength minimum.
  • If you're using a weapon beyond your strength minimum, you suffer a -1 dicepool penalty on your attack, and a -2 penalty on all subsequent actions this round (including defense pools) for every point your Strength is exceeded.
  • Firing a burst or Suppressive Fire increases the strength minimum by 1. A Long Burst increases it by 2. Full Auto increases it by 3.
  • The effects of recoil modifiers are massive reduced. A Bipod reduces the Strength min by 2, a gyromount reduces it by 3. A recoil absorbing shape (stocks, shock pads, whatever) reduces the minimum by 1; a recoil increasing shape (hold-outs, for example) increase it by 1.
  • Gas Vents just get abstracted out because they are no longer necessary to allow people to fire bursts of automatic weaponry.
  • Drones have an "effective strength" equal to their Body. If they suffer recoil penalties, they fall over.

And that's it. So mooks who use large weapons to perform suppressive fire become sitting ducks. Street Samurai invest in decent Strength scores even when they have no intention of cutting fools up with swords.

It was never a fully worked up system, but then it didn't have to be because I was using it on my own time. Basically I ended up with low strength characters actually using Light Pistols on occassion, while people who wanted to fight with anti-tank weaponry also invested in high strength. Also I got people to stop bouncing up and down demanding to put assault cannons onto fly-spies. Mission accomplished as far as I'm concerned.
wink.gif

-Frank
Aristotle
It's an interesting base. There are things I'd have to tweak for it to work for me, but I like the basic concept. I especially like that it would provide actual drawbacks to large weapons, especially single shot varieties that aren't currently affected by recoil despite the implication that they should be.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012