Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stealing Drones
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Alphastream
QUOTE (cndblank)
Given that a Drone is an an expensive piece of equipment and the company is going to be libel for any activity of the drone off company property, I could think of a lot of very common corporate practices to prevent theft/hijacking.

The problem with this and the other post that talked about a PC providing the drone with special instructions, is that these types of safeguards are already factored in. The game is simplifying all those things. When you Spoof, you are spoofing all those things.

Of course, you can change that however you want for your own game, but that is my understanding based on the wording of the matrix programs. Devising extra steps for your drones or programs is merely role-playing, as the effects are already calculated. As your software and hardware improves, these factors are exactly what raise the ratings.
Alphastream

I read over the Matrix section on a plane yesterday. After reading, I am still confused on which skills do and do not affect a rigger.

- Can a hacker use Sniffer to intercept wireless and cut off a rigger's access to drones?

- Can a hacker just hack a rigger's commlink (or worse, the control rig) to take over a rigger's drones? Seems like it might be easy for most hackers if this works.

Anyone figure this out yet?

Also, there is an e-mail at the bottom of the FAQ. Do those people read these boards? Does e-mailing that person produce results?

Thanks!
Riley37
In this case, the term "intercept" does not actually mean "gain exclusive possession". It just means that the person "intercepting the transmission" is listening to it. This can be a step towards further measures, such as jamming the signal or analysing then spoofing it, but by itself Intercept Signal has no effect on the rigger's interaction with the drone.

If you gain access to the rigger's comlink, subscribe, gain control, and shut it down or lock out the rigger's access, then sure, the rigger loses their primary means of communication with the drone. If the rigger has another comlink or other transceiver, then they can switch to that one. I imagine that a control rig, which is implanted in the rigger's brain, is wired to accept commands only from the rigger's brain, and would be really, really hard to hack. (You'd also have to make up stats for it.)
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Alphastream)
- Can a hacker use Sniffer to intercept wireless and cut off a rigger's access to drones?

p. 225

"Intercepting Wireless Signals
Wireless traffi c is broadcast through the air, so anyone within
range of a signal can pick it up, whether they are connected
to the transmitting party or not. Th us you can eavesdrop on the
wireless connections of anyone whose Signal range reaches you.
Th is makes it possible for you to even intercept traffi c within a
specifi c network—such as the PAN traffi c between Mr. Johnson’s
commlink and other devices on his network.
To perform an Intercept Wireless Signal action, make an
Electronic Warfare + Sniff er (3) Test. Once the signal is intercepted,
you can monitor the traffi c and even copy/record/forward it
without making any more Intercept Wireless Signal actions. If you
want to block out some parts of the traffi c or add in your own, you
must make an Edit action.
Th ere is no way to detect interception of a wireless signal.
Note that wireless communications are usually encrypted, so
you’ll need to decrypt the signal before you can intercept or capture
the traffi c."
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Alphastream)
- Can a hacker just hack a rigger's commlink (or worse, the control rig) to take over a rigger's drones? Seems like it might be easy for most hackers if this works.

You can do this, but it's not a "just". Try reading this entire thread, there are many ideas and suggestions and explanations.

You might want to look at Intercept Traffic on p.224, and look at Exploit, Spoof, Stealth, Hacking on the Fly, and the Cybercombat rules as well.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Alphastream)
Also, there is an e-mail at the bottom of the FAQ. Do those people read these boards? Does e-mailing that person produce results?

Yes.
Nightwalker450
I would think a rigged in hacker would be just as easy to spoof as any other. The difference is the types of commands that could be used. Your "Fly here" won't work at all, basically the rigger in control will correct the movement as soon as it starts to move. Likewise, "Target Rigger's Ally" will only get a single shot/burst off before the rigger is able to retarget. Any command that takes time will do little more than annoy the rigger (or his allies in the case of targeting). Giving a command of shutdown would be effective.

Since spoof only allows a single command to be passed through you couldn't do anything too complex. ie. "Drop all wireless, fly here, shutdown" would be three commands and you'd be offline after you made the first.

Spoof to "Cut wireless connections" could work to dumpshock the rigger (you would not be affected since you're spoofing in their stream not actualy in the drone), but then you'd have to rescan to find the wireless connection, then perform the hack to get access. I can't remember if there's a dumpshock recovery time, but him or in the case of a security team, already know where and how to login so for them gaining access would be instant.

Difficult but possible to steal access from a rigger. Just my thoughts.
Cheops
Well, Dumpshock does disorient you giving a -2 to all actions. There's no limit to how soon you can log back on but you'd possibly be at -2+ dice.
cndblank
QUOTE (Alphastream)

The problem with this and the other post that talked about a PC providing the drone with special instructions, is that these types of safeguards are already factored in. The game is simplifying all those things. When you Spoof, you are spoofing all those things.

I can see that for software (and there is some question on how much spoofing will get you), but not for hardware.

There is not way to spoof a hardwired GPS control on the main power supply that gently powers down the drone if it leaves Corp Territory if it is not physically connected to the the dog brain with the wireless connection. The only way would be to spoof the GPS satellite and good luck with that.

We are also talking extra measures as oppose to off the shelf. Stuff the corp is only going to do with armed drones in sensitive areas. It your game and you can run it as you please. Every SR GM is going to have to decide how easy it is to hijack a corp's drones. But if it was too easy they they wouldn't use them any place critical.

I'm not saying the hacker can't hack the dogbrain of a Billboard Blimp Drone and use it's camera to keep an eye on someone.

I'm saying that there would be hardware counter measures available for critical drones.

Just like no aircraft is going to allow someone to wireless control it if there is a pilot jacked in. They would build the hardware to cut the wireless connection when the pilot jacked in because the Corps don't want some sicko script kiddie trying to reenact 911 with a fully loaded commuter jet on their HQ. Let alone the PR mess and what the passenger's Families lawyers would do the the manufacturer.

I also think that when a rigger's is Jumped in to a drone using VR, his simsense signal would be fairly unique to the rigger and the drone he was using. Like a fingerprint. So if they piped it through to the drone, it might be something that even a hot shot hacker with a powerful comm unit would have serious trouble recreating on the fly using emulation software. If so then why wouldn't a corp provide a drone with a list of approved riggers and a sample of their simsense signal to validate the riggers commands.

cndblank
QUOTE (Riley37)

Per cndblank on antitheft countermeasures: yup, those apply to drones that are on perimeter duty. what about individually owned drones, eg those used by shadowrunners, private detectives, etc.?

The skies the limit on this. And there are some sick puppies out there.

As I said if they "filed the serial numbers off" so it can't be traced back to them then they have a lot fewer options.

A surveillance drone's main defense is not being seen. A fiber optic line also works good.

A few Home Grown Anti Hijack Options

First the legal options:

Color me Stinky - Booby trap the drones with an Orange Dye and stink bomb when they open the hood. You'll be able to follow your nose to the one who took your drone.

Car Alarm - Every 30 minutes it asks for a confirmation code. No code then it starts a siren. A very very loud siren and it can't be turned off without disconnecting the power supply (where a Color Me Stinky booby trap has been placed.) Has the added benefit of draining the drones batteries.

Lo Jack - Drone has a hard wired transponders/GPS that calls home with its location. It can also power down the drone.

Fairy Dust - if being use it will drops a single RFID tag every hour or so, The Tag waits 15 minutes then calls home with its location. The drones has a hundred and so tags so it will be leaving a trail for a long time.

Spare - How about a cheap second dog brain that will cut off the comm link and primary dog brain and fly it home.

Upping the Stakes:

Betsie Wetsie - the drones has a several tubes of acid in the base. If the drone isn't stored in it specially designed rack then after a few hours the acid is released. Great way to ruin a lot of other drones.

Bug Zapper - Give the drone ICE

Don't play with others Toys - How about after a week, the next time someone jumps in, it loads some black hammer and asks the rigger for a confirmation code. No code, then it's HAMMER time.

And Willie Pete and Boomer.
These two are self evident

Do it right and the only thing your players will do with a "lost" drone is put it in a field, use a cheap remote drone to take it completely apart, and then sell the parts as fast as possible.

Riley37
QUOTE (cndblank)
hack the dogbrain of a Billboard Blimp Drone and use it's camera

Hey, that's a good idea! Hack the low-level drones in ways that don't compromise their primary (owner's) mission, and unless Cliff Stoll is involved, no one will notice. (Cliff Stoll investigated a $.25 accounting inconsistency and ended up discovering an East German hacker penetrating US military base computers and selling data to the KGB. Stoll wrote a book about it, and the hacker died under rather suspicious circumstances. Moral: have the thorough guy on *your* side.)

The countermeasures listed are excellent. Some kinda expensive, or have risks of going off accidentally, and I already posted the "confirmation code" aspect. Cute names! Many of them involve a brain, or at least chip, separate from the main unit, which is a level of detail that RAW generally doesn't get into. Another semi-random true story: a US space probe had two brains that took turns checking on each other. NASA controller tells the probe that its path will result in a planet occluding direct LOS to the Sun. Brain A accepts this and continues routinely. Then brain B, which didn't get the memo, wakes up, says "Okay, how are we doing?" (roughly translated). First brain says "all according to plan". Second brain says "You are on crack! The fraggin' sun is missing!" Shuts down the first brain and starts an oh-shit-level astrogation check and sends a distress signal to mission control.

Mod to Fairy Dust: the RFID chips should be the respond-when-cued type.
cndblank
Yeah it is a trade off and unless there is a good reason for it, most riggers are not going to take the trouble for extreme measures.

I think anyone that has to work with the drones is going to agree that any time the drone is armed with serious firepower there is a very good reason to keep it from being hijacked.

And I admit that a lot of these hardware anti hijack measures are more of a dog in the manger type.

For runners, you are hoping that the other side doesn't have a hacker able to get to your drones.

But if you have a custom drone with a lot time and cred and very hard to find equipment in it then you are going to have a few hardware anti hijack measures in it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012