Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun shooter
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
shadowfire
so i was just talking to someone who meet and spoke with the designers for the new Shadowrun game. It seems that the reason that the game was built to be a shooter like Counter strike was because from what they saw or read, that is what shadowrun is all about; that is it's in spirit.

Do you agree. i don't, but i'm interested in what everyone has to say.
Kagetenshi
I would say that this confirms previous estimations of the designers' knowledge of Shadowrun.

Certainly the combat system is one of the highlights of Shadowrun 2nd and 3rd edition, but most of it comes out in things like pool use and differences in potential quantity of action—things that are essentially impossible to duplicate in a multiplayer counterstrike-like form.

~J
hyzmarca
Shadowrun is about having pieces of your soul cut out and replaced with metal; putting on Bruce Willis' tanktop, Patrick Swayzee's bluejeans, Harrison Ford's trenchcoat, and Arnold's sunglasses; grabbing Keanu's guitar, Ford's pistol, and Leonardo's sword; getting into Michael Keaton's car; plugging Matthew Broderick's computer into your head; and negotiating with a dragon on Michael J. Fox's videophone while listening to You Spin Me Right Round.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (shadowfire @ Oct 25 2007, 01:01 AM)
Do you agree.

Absolutely not.

In a shadowrun, a firefight usually means that you've screwed up.

Shadowrunning is about the people that fell through the cracks of society, the unseen operators that do the jobs that the corporations can't officially be seen doing themselves.

The ideal shadowrun means you got away with the objective of your mission without firing a shot or letting anyone notice you doing it. If you're REALLY good, the place you hit never realizes anything happened at all.

That FPS game? All it took away from the roleplaying game is the art and look from the covers. Nobody making the computer game bothered to look at any of the content inside the books.

If you're looking for a game that is closest to what "shadowrun is all about", then honestly? I think the original Splinter Cell was about as good as it gets. If we can discount plot and style, maybe Rainbow Six.

I mean, Deus Ex was amazing, but it wasn't shadowrun enough for me because of some ineffable quality I can't define.

Basically, since shadowrunners:
1) commit crimes for money,
2) do not really exist within the system,
3) operate in a generally covert fashion,
that's what informed my opinion. There's really nothing that's 'shadowrun' out there, but there are many things that are MORE shadowrun than "Shadow Run."
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (KarmaInferno)
In a shadowrun, a firefight usually means that you've screwed up.

[…]

The ideal shadowrun means you got away with the objective of your mission without firing a shot or letting anyone notice you doing it. If you're REALLY good, the place you hit never realizes anything happened at all.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to back that up from, well, basically anything in the fiction. In a shadowrun, a firefight that the other side knew was coming means you've screwed up.

Not saying that "ghost runs" don't exist, but, well, let's be serious, if they were plausible the corp could just use in-house talent to do it. Shadowrunners exist because they are deniable, and they need to be deniable because they will be seen and shot at and have their bodies recovered and occasionally be captured alive.

~J
shadowfire
i just don't like the assumption that shot outs are what shadowrun is all about.

wheres the mystery, wheres the hacking the matrix for data and hitting the streets for clues/info.
wheres the Johnsons and the negotiations; the wheeling and dealing
wheres the kidnapping, body guarding, bank robbery, party crashing, etc.

Big deal, every other game has shooting..
Kagetenshi
Yeah, there's that, too.

Really, he should have looked at the Shadowrun card game for an idea of what Shadowrun was all about. No one can read the text on Block Party, Green Apple Quicksteps, and Saeder-Krupp and still think Shadowrun is all about shootouts.

~J
shadowfire
true true
Narse
Hmmm....
I actually agree to a certain extent. When I think shadowrun, I think badass characters firing badass weapons (or slinging major mojo, or eviscerating the opposition with a katana) in a gritty, near future setting. To me the first layer of shadow run is combat. How much cyberpunk exists without violent confrontation? Now, that being said, there is certainly more to shadowrun than combat. But I think I came for the combat, and stayed for the setting (including the other aspects of shadowrun besides the eponymous activity). When I envision shadowrun, I actually see more as a 1st or 3rd person shooter. Of course if I were making the game I would have used more RPG elements but still, shadowruns are in many ways like cs. The violent and objective based nature of the games ensures their similarity. Someone mentioned that they think that 'runs are more about stealth, someone else replied that those are rare, well CS matches can actually be one without fireing shots, these are rare though. In SR, like CS, you have to balance speed, stealth, and firepower. Both also have a heavy does of team based tactics. So, yeah, I don't think the computer game's devs were that wrong in their approach, perhaps they erred in implementation, but the general idea wasn't that bad.

just my 2 nuyen.gif .
Kagetenshi
The relationship between shadowruns and stealth is nuanced. My personal position has been that the general trajectory of a well-planned run (and of course they will all vary) will involve a dead-silent infiltration, and then blasting out with guns blazing so you're well clear before security can make any kind of response.

Of course, that requires your GM to not use the canon response times, which contradict the principle that teleportation is not possible in Shadowrun.

~J
Ryu
Thats more to the point than "shot fired = run hosed". Most times, our plan is about planned and precise application of force. Doing things without violence happens, but can not be considered the norm.

And that could be done in a PC game. X-Box Online I don´t know. Randomly combining a license and a type of game that the strategy department wants...
Stahlseele
worst part about this whole affair is the fact, that microsuck killed off an SR MMORPG in the making that was allready in alpha stadium . .
shadowfire
QUOTE (Stahlseele)
worst part about this whole affair is the fact, that microsuck killed off an SR MMORPG in the making that was allready in alpha stadium . .

wait.... what?
Fortune
I wouldn't worry. It is quite an overstatement.
Kagetenshi
The question is where Alpha Stadium is, and what sports go on there?

~J
Telion
the game itself failed in a number of ways.

incomplete content. (lacking more than 1 model per race per side, models floated up ladders, etc...)
too few maps(10).
no announced support for modders.
and only 1 or 2 game types.
don't forget the lack of orcs

the concept of the game being made into a shooter is fine. That is making the game to fit the FPS role, shadowrun has alot of tactics involved in its combat system. I think that they really should have stuck more with cannon and allowed the customization that is found in the rpg.
Kagetenshi
Oh yeah, it'd be difficult but I do think it's possible to make a Shadowrun FPS worth playing (now, a Shadowrun shooter would be awesome--maybe a T-bird against swarms of Strato-9s or something?). However, there's a difference between "you can do it" and "it is the fundamental nature of Shadowrun".

Counterstrike-style multiplayer play is even further from the nature of Shadowrun, as Shadowrunners typically face opposition that is drastically asymmetrical--typically inferior in training and equipment, but vastly superior in quantity and position.

~J
Daddy's Little Ninja
I do not agree and if that is what the designers think it is what the game is about, then the owners of the material should consider a different game design company because these guys were not listening and are producing a flop.
Blade
Shadowrun FPS a la CS could make a great... mod.
Corps vs Runners. HL2 Dystopia mod in the (real) Shadowrun universe.

But I'd expect much more from a stand alone game.
swirler
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Shadowrun is about having pieces of your soul cut out and replaced with metal; putting on Bruce Willis' tanktop, Patrick Swayzee's bluejeans, Harrison Ford's trenchcoat, and Arnold's sunglasses; grabbing Keanu's guitar, Ford's pistol, and Leonardo's sword; getting into Michael Keaton's car; plugging Matthew Broderick's computer into your head; and negotiating with a dragon on Michael J. Fox's videophone while listening to You Spin Me Right Round.

thank you
rotfl.gif
swirler
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Oct 25 2007, 10:58 AM)
I do not agree and if that is what the designers think it is what the game is about, then the owners of the material should consider a different game design company because these guys were not listening and are producing a flop.

the producers were the owners
Micro$oft owns the videogame rights to BT and SR. They went ahead recently and dissolved the "company" and have of course kept the IPs.
most likely SR as far as videogames will sit and rot, since they have "proven it isnt viable in the videogame market" by making a game that:
1. Doesn't appeal to the actual SR fanbase (for the most part)
2. was sub par for the type of game it became(from most of what I've heard)
and
3. Was built as Vista only (w/o modifications) and cut out the smarter(IMHO) people who have stuck with XP vs Vista
Kagetenshi
And how about the smarter (IMNSHO) people who haven't stuck with Microsoft products in the first place? wink.gif

~J
swirler
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
And how about the smarter (IMNSHO) people who haven't stuck with Microsoft products in the first place? wink.gif

~J

true
I enjoy having a mac and a pc
as soon as I can afford it (both money and space) I'm going to setup a linux system as well
Yoan
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Yeah, there's that, too.

Really, he should have looked at the Shadowrun card game for an idea of what Shadowrun was all about. No one can read the text on Block Party, Green Apple Quicksteps, and Saeder-Krupp and still think Shadowrun is all about shootouts.

~J

For those of us not in the know, care to share the flavour text? biggrin.gif
shadowfire
QUOTE (swirler)
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Oct 25 2007, 10:58 AM)

the producers were the owners
Micro$oft owns the videogame rights to BT and SR. They went ahead recently and dissolved the "company" and have of course kept the IPs.
most likely SR as far as videogames will sit and rot, since they have "proven it isnt viable in the videogame market" by making a game that:
1. Doesn't appeal to the actual SR fanbase (for the most part)
2. was sub par for the type of game it became(from most of what I've heard)
and
3. Was built as Vista only (w/o modifications) and cut out the smarter(IMHO) people who have stuck with XP vs Vista

true, microsuck doesn't care what they do to something as inspiring as shadowrun.. as long as they can strip it to it core and sell it to the mouth agape masses that believe that microsuck is God/ or some such nonsense....
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Yoan)
For those of us not in the know, care to share the flavour text? biggrin.gif

It's actually not the flavour text—it's the combination of the card's effects and the means in which the name and flavourtext imply that they occur.

First, a word on the Shadowrun card game. You hire Shadowrunners and buy gear for them to have them go on Shadowruns, in which they must work their way through a bunch of challenges and then complete the objective to gain a stated amount of reputation (and sometimes other stuff). A player wins when his or her reputation exceeds a prearranged quantity. You have to explicitly select a group of Shadowrunners from your "safehouse" (they've been played but aren't immediately being used) to go on a Shadowrun, and while they can bail out, in general they can't receive additional assistance while underway.

There are cards, called IIRC "stingers", which are like Interrupts from M:tG. You play them whenever, and they do stuff. Other cards must be played during your turn, and they just do stuff, either instantly or continuously.

The basic resource is nuyen, and you get 4¥ a turn barring other sources of income.

Now, the cards. This is all by memory, so wording is not exact:

Block Party: for every 4¥ you pay, add a token to Block Party. While Block Party is in play, no Shadowruns may be attempted. Remove one token at the end of your turn; if there are no tokens remaining on Block Party, discard it.

The artwork is of a wild party in the street, with IIRC a Troll with a giant bottle of beer.

Green Apple Quicksteps: target Shadowrunner on a Shadowrun immediately returns to their owner's Safehouse.

Picture: a man with a very unpleasant look on his face clutching his gut.

Flavourtext: You should've gone before we left!

Saeder-Krupp: Picture: basic corporate logo.

At the beginning of each player's turn, roll a die. If the result is 5 or 6, Saeder-Krupp takes the lowest-valued objective currently visible. If Saeder-Krupp accumulates enough Reputation to exceed the limit, Saeder-Krupp wins the game.

Note that the player who plays Saeder-Krupp does not win when Saeder-Krupp wins.

~J
Stahlseele
QUOTE (shadowfire)
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Oct 25 2007, 07:38 AM)

wait.... what?

there WAS an MMORPG in the making called Shadowrun Online http://www.shadowrun-online.com/sro/ . . they had some sweet ideas for the game and were planning on starting out with Seattle(of course) and then do expansion Packs for for things like Denver, Hamburg and other Sprawls and maybe even whole countries . . an established time-line, cyber/bio/magic/nano . . astral space, matrix, meat-space, Rigger-Stuff . . oh how i wish the pages on where one could see what they had planned were still online . . it was awesome . . made by what is today http://www.sixthworldgames.com/ . . now that they god a cease and desist order from microsucks they are planning on making the game more on the traditional cyberpunk part of william gibson . . will probably still be one hell of a good game when it comes out . . and a little correction on my part, they were not actually in alpha but in pre alpha about to enter early alpha state in one or two months . .
Fortune
QUOTE (Stahlseele)
. . now that they god a cease and desist order from microsucks ...

Quite rightly, as Microsoft owns the content, and they were blatantly and knowingly violating copyright.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Oct 26 2007, 07:36 AM)
. . now that they god a cease and desist order from microsucks ...

Quite rightly, as Microsoft owns the content, and they were blatantly and knowingly violating copyright.

Except that the very existence of copyright is a blatant and knowing violation of basic moral principals. It is an artificial right created to abrogate a natural right. It is like making a law against breathing the air and then selling selling bottled oxygen for hundreds of dollars per cc.
Fortune
The same can be said for quite a few laws on the books, but the fact remains that while the laws are in existence, people are supposed to follow them or suffer the consequences.
Stahlseele
actually they were hoping to present microsoft with a good and partly working concept to get their okay . . so it is now forbidden to actually develope something under one name if it ain't even clear if it's ever gonna see the light of day? well, if so . . frag copyrights, wehre's my P2P? . . that concept would render the whole modding/mapping/modeling community and as such a BIG part of the fan-base as illegal . .
Fortune
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Oct 26 2007, 08:22 AM)
actually they were hoping to present microsoft with a good and partly working concept to get their okay . .

That's their problem. There were plenty of submissions to Microsoft for the rights to the game, in many and varied stages of production. Each one was met with a firm refusal, with (as far as I know ... at least in the 3 separate replies that I have seen) nothing to mislead people into thinking those rights would be available in the future.

ShadowrunOnline was developing their product in an open environment, for all the world to see, using someone else's copyrighted material without prior consent. That doesn't seem to me to be a very viable way to go about endearing yourself, or even making yourself look professional to the copyright owners.
Lagomorph
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Oct 25 2007, 09:36 PM)
QUOTE (shadowfire @ Oct 25 2007, 09:30 AM)
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Oct 25 2007, 07:38 AM)

wait.... what?

there WAS an MMORPG in the making called Shadowrun Online http://www.shadowrun-online.com/sro/ . . they had some sweet ideas for the game and were planning on starting out with Seattle(of course) and then do expansion Packs for for things like Denver, Hamburg and other Sprawls and maybe even whole countries . . an established time-line, cyber/bio/magic/nano . . astral space, matrix, meat-space, Rigger-Stuff . . oh how i wish the pages on where one could see what they had planned were still online . . it was awesome . . made by what is today http://www.sixthworldgames.com/ . . now that they god a cease and desist order from microsucks they are planning on making the game more on the traditional cyberpunk part of william gibson . . will probably still be one hell of a good game when it comes out . . and a little correction on my part, they were not actually in alpha but in pre alpha about to enter early alpha state in one or two months . .

Here's another you can look over, managed to keep active for 9 months so far. They claim to have a non-commercial permissions from Microsoft to use Shadowrun Intelectual Properties.

http://awakenedmmo.org/

edit: too many acronyms!
Simon May
QUOTE (Stahlseele)
so it is now forbidden to actually develope something under one name if it ain't even clear if it's ever gonna see the light of day?

That was true of the Halo RTS which neared completion before receiving a cease and desist letter.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
a natural right.

Please enumerate the natural rights.

~J
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Oct 25 2007, 10:07 PM)
Except that the very existence of copyright is a blatant and knowing violation of basic moral principals. It is an artificial right created to abrogate a natural right. It is like making a law against breathing the air and then selling selling bottled oxygen for hundreds of dollars per cc.

Copyright as a concept is there to protect the rights of the creator of a work.

So you make an artwork or writing or whatever.

Without the copyright protection, anyone could take your work and sell a million copies without your permission or paying you a cent. And you legally wouldn't be able to do a damn thing about it.

Basically, stealing all your hard work.

You are claiming that theft is a 'natural right'?

On a larger societal scale, Intellectual Property protections like copyright, trademarks, and patents help encourage and drive innovation.

Without these protections we revert to a state where all new developments are kept secret by their creators, and tended to die with them. This stunts the development of societies as a whole.

The current state of IP law and whether or not it achieves these goals is a different question.

Defend your assertion that copying is theft.

~J
KarmaInferno
To do that, one must assume that the creator of a work has the right to benefit from his or her work.

Someone else copying the work and then distributing it can cut into any benefits the creator might have gained from distributing copies himself.

Ergo, stealing the possible benefits the creator might have otherwise gained.

i'm not in 100% agreement that 'stealing' one's possible benefits should be counted as theft. i do think that people who work largely in the realm of ideas should legally be allowed to control the distribution of those ideas, because otherwise it's impossible to profit from those ideas. capitalism doesn't work if (among other factors) a creator cannot profit from his creation. this is just as true for ideas as it is for services and physical products. the ability to copy someone else's work is not a natural right, and it is in no way comparable to breathing air.

that said, the existing IP laws, and their current draconic trend, are too far and too much.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (KarmaInferno)
To do that, one must assume that the creator of a work has the right to benefit from his or her work.

Someone else copying the work and then distributing it can cut into any benefits the creator might have gained from distributing copies himself.

Ergo, stealing the possible benefits the creator might have otherwise gained.

So polluters are stealing from me by destroying potential productive years of my working life? Interesting take. I've always personally felt that the Chicago School of Economics was horse shit myself.

-Frank
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (KarmaInferno)

Define "benefit".

QUOTE (mfb)
capitalism doesn't work if (among other factors) a creator cannot profit from his creation.

Only if you introduce as a basic assumption that the creation ought to produce profit regardless of how the market values it, which seems antithetical to capitalism.

~J
mfb
i don't see how i've introduced that assumption at all. if an idea--or a service or a product--is bad, it won't generate a profit because it won't work.
Kagetenshi
If the market does not see value in paying the original creator of an idea for the use or an implementation of that idea, it won't. If the market did see such a value, it would pay the original creator.

Your assumption is that the original creator should get paid for the use or an implementation of that idea, which the market appears to disagree with.

Edit: correction, the market is divided on this point. On the one hand, the market supports forcing consumers (whether private or business) to pay for use or an implementation of an idea. On the other, the market supports evading that requirement.

~J
KarmaInferno
Benefit can mean many things.

Most commonly it represents monetary profit.

It can represent other things as well. Reputation. Goodwill, etc.

Perhaps you are right in one sense - the word "theft" can be imprecise. I was referring to the violation of one's rights to potential gain from one's work, to the effective taking without permission of another's possible profits.

Your assumption is that the original creator should get paid for the use or an implementation of that idea

mfb did state "among other factors".

Regardless, the assumption is that the original creator should have the rights to the POSSIBLE profit or gain from his work, not that a work automatically should be profitable. Even if the market values a work poorly, that value should be the creator's right to claim, not anyone else's.

If my work generates zero profit, that zero is mine to claim (in a philosophic sense), not any else's.

QUOTE (KarmaInferno)
Regardless, even if the market values a work poorly, that value should be the creator's right to claim, not anyone else's.

Why? Unless I missed something, you're petitioning the principle—the creator should have control of his or her creation because the creator should have control of his or her creation.

Perhaps you are right in one sense - the word "theft" can be imprecise. I was referring to the violation of one's rights to potential gain from one's work, to the effective taking without permission of another's possible profits.

Say you put out a work. I could potentially purchase floor((amount of money I have)/(cost of work)) copies of your work—assuming I am your total market, that is your possible profit. Do I steal from you by not purchasing your work, or by purchasing fewer copies than I possibly can? If not, how do you determine what "possible profits" are, and if they exist and are gained or lost?

And kage, mfb did state "among other factors".

The selectivity of capitalism comes exactly from the inability of certain creators to profit from certain creations.

If my work generates zero profit, that zero is mine to claim (in a philosophic sense), not any else's.

Absolutely. But why, after you have transferred your work to another, do you retain the ability to dictate its fate in any manner?

~J
mfb
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
If the market does not see value in paying the original creator of an idea for the use or an implementation of that idea, it won't. If the market did see such a value, it would pay the original creator.

that's not capitalism, that's a food chain. in capitalism, a person is supposed to be able to profit from his work, according to the perceived value of the work. in a food chain, the strong take from the weak because the weak are... well, weak. they can't stop the strong. the weak don't profit, they simply get eaten.

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
But why, after you have transferred your work to another, do you retain the ability to dictate its fate in any manner?

that's a moot question, because it assumes that you are the one doing the transferring. if someone comes along and transfers your work without your permission, you need some sort of legal recourse to get it back, or at least its value.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (mfb @ Oct 26 2007, 01:45 PM)
that's not capitalism, that's a food chain. in capitalism, a person is supposed to be able to profit from his work, according to the perceived value of the work.

And how does that not happen? So long as the creator is a monopoly, which for an easily-copyable product essentially means as long as they don't distribute the product, they can set the price however they like. When they sell a copy, they introduce an alternative supplier into the market, who may compete with them on price. In some cases, the market's valuation of the work will drop to zero. That's how the market works.

The market does not have to treat easily-copyable works as fungible, and indeed, some sections of the market do not and choose to find sources that exhibit certain properties (like proximity to the creator). However, in the general case, it does.

that's a moot question, because it assumes that you are the one doing the transferring. if someone comes along and transfers your work without your permission, you need some sort of legal recourse to get it back, or at least its value.

If you didn't transfer your work to them, they would have had to still obtain it somehow—most likely by a preexisting crime. Do you have a theoretical example of this happening without the commission of a non-intellectual-property-related crime?

~J
KarmaInferno
Why? Unless I missed something, you're petitioning the principle—the creator should have control of his or her creation because the creator should have control of his or her creation.

You are missing the distinction between a work, and the potential gain that distributing that work.

Say you put out a work. I could potentially purchase floor((amount of money I have)/(cost of work)) copies of your work—assuming I am your total market, that is your possible profit. Do I steal from you by not purchasing your work, or by purchasing fewer copies than I possibly can? If not, how do you determine what "possible profits" are, and if they exist and are gained or lost?

No, because the amount of profit is irrelevant to the argument, only the right to attempt to gain said profit is.

Absolutely. But why, after you have transferred your work to another, do you retain the ability to dictate its fate in any manner?

Transferring a copy of a work is not the same as transferring the RIGHTS to that work.

They are separate things.

Why? I've got a dustbin that I bought next to me—do I not have rights to it? If not, why not, and why is it proper that I not have those rights?

And how is one being prevented from attempting to gain profit?

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012