Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleopatra's Needle?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
DWC
Bought bootlegged movies out of a closet sized shop in a basement in Chinatown?

Retraced the Warriors path home?

Danced with a date to a band of street musicians in the Village?

Been to a peep both?

Waited in "The Line" for Rent tickets?

Turned a corner and stumbled onto a movie and/or photo shoot?

Chased a pickpocket through Central Park to get your wallet back?

Jumped a turnstile?

Introduced a friend to Magnolia's?

Said "best in the city" to describe something?

Tipped over a liquid nitrogen tank left on a corner by street cleaners?
Simon May
Experienced a Flash Mob?

Ridden on the subway train designated for the traveling party that night?

Argued with a cop about being double parked because "all the cabbies were doing it?"

Helped 2 or more Yankees fans beat up some ass in a Red Sox hat?

Snubbed a dance club cause it was "last week?"

Had a cab driver tell you he won't go to that part of town?
CircuitBoyBlue
QUOTE (Simon May)
Experienced a Flash Mob?

Ridden on the subway train designated for the traveling party that night?

Argued with a cop about being double parked because "all the cabbies were doing it?"

Helped 2 or more Yankees fans beat up some ass in a Red Sox hat?

Snubbed a dance club cause it was "last week?"

Had a cab driver tell you he won't go to that part of town?

Holy crap, apparently New York sucks!
Fortune
No more than anywhere else.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

Seen someone with Grey Death?

Does Michael Jackson count?
CircuitBoyBlue
QUOTE (Fortune)
No more than anywhere else.

Not saying it sucks more than anywhere else, but coming from Ohio, I can say everyone I knew growing up had some lofty ideal of New York as somehow being a civilized place. I guess it's good to know that it's full of bigots and sports nuts, too. In a "we haven't been singled out by God for special harrassment, he's just a jerk to everyone" sort of way.
Fortune
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Does Michael Jackson count?

Only when Sesame Street is on the TV.
Snow_Fox
and most poster here aren't new yorkers.
Wounded Ronin
CircuitBoy: Well, it *is* civilized. You have the Metropolitan Opera. You've got the Metropolitan Museum of Art. And even if the rich dudes on Park Avenue are sometimes crassly noveau riche and have snotty kids there are plenty of very elegant and refined people.

But the reason New York City is the pwn (or used to be the pwn before the Yuppie Invasion) was because it also had all kinds. You could go buy your african import store bullwhip and interact with Japanese dropouts in the village in the morning and then go hang out with a bunch of highly educated docents at the Met in the afternoon at the cafe they had set up near the Burghers of Calais.
Simon May
For every asshole who makes you hate New York, there are 3 or 4 good New Yorkers who will help you out in a jam. The problem is that in any given place, the assholes are louder and more obnoxious and therefore overwhelm the positives.
CircuitBoyBlue
QUOTE (Simon May)
For every asshole who makes you hate New York, there are 3 or 4 good New Yorkers who will help you out in a jam. The problem is that in any given place, the assholes are louder and more obnoxious and therefore overwhelm the positives.

No, if I were that jaded, I'd have no problem with New York. But I have hope for most other places. For all the assholes I've ever known in DC (not as many as you'd think, and they were actually VERY tolerable, all things considered), and all the times I've been jumped for not yelling "I-O" when someone in Columbus has yelled "O-H" at me, I'm at least glad I've never had to put up with the "this place is 'last week'" variety of obnoxiousness. I'm sure people think other types are just as bad, but as your post pointed out, all the bad stuff about Ohio applies in NY, as well. I'm sure it's possible to have good experiences in New York, but the only time I've ever managed it, I was drunk when I got to the city, and I was still drunk when I left. "Fool me once..." and all that; I've been fooled into going to New York more times than I can count. I'd be an idiot to ever go back. Don't get me wrong, I'm an idiot, and I'm sure I'll go back. And I hope I'm wrong about this. But I'm not optimistic.
BookWyrm
There are times when NYC does suck. Especially when you're stuck in Penn Station at 2-4am waiting for your train home with no place to sit. But there are good things about NYC too. It's the home of The Compleat Strategist, St. Mark's Comcs, Jim Hanley's Universe & Forbidden Planet. There's a magic shop right across from Penn Station. Most food-places are 24 hrs., and few places are unreachable by subway or bus. The Museum of Natural History, The Jewish Museum, even Grand Central Station.

New York City is what you make of it.
Daddy's Little Ninja
NYC is pretty much all of the above. It is one of the great cities of the planet. It has almost anything you want, as long as you know where to find it. Why do you think so many movies/TV shows and books are set there? there is no market for CSI:Deluth.
Simon May
Hey. Deluth is awesome. I'd rather watch that than CSI:NY.
Wounded Ronin
Well for a relaxing combination of poverty, sprawl, and substance abuse, I actually really enjoyed pre-Katrina New Orleans. (I haven't been back since the hurricane). There were so many malodorous crack-delusional people drifting down the street that I felt very relaxed. Next to them, anything I might choose to do or not do would look downright debonair.
Penta
I'm a weirdo.

New York City terrified me in 7th grade, when I went for a CCD class trip to St. Patrick's Cathedral. I'm blindish, and my navigation skills sucked. I was spooked of getting lost.

St. Patrick's, that said, has to be seen IRL to be believed. TV does not do it justice. It's freakishly HUGE.
JBlades
Ironically, I'm from California but I've seen the needles in London and Paris, never the NYC one...
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (JBlades)
Ironically, I'm from California but I've seen the needles in London and Paris, never the NYC one...

Then you have the good fortune that in the future you'll be able to go there and look at it while eating a hot dog with onions. The wonderfulest thing about being around all those hot dog vendors are the sweet onions which I never see served from hot dog stands anywhere but NYC. I love those sweet onions.
Daddy's Little Ninja
Geez, and Snow Fox thinks eating in China town is dangerous!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012