Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Commanding Voice
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
raggedhalo
OK, so, a couple of scenarios that I'd like clarification on:

Adept standing on one side of the door, guard is on the other. Adept's team are all standing by. Can the adept use Commanding Voice to get the guard to open the door by shouting through the door? What about over an intercom? Are the adept's team affected too?

Adept and team approach (known) location of invisible opponent. Can the adept (without Astral Perception) use Commanding Voice to get the opponent to apply the adept's tranq patch to themselves? Will it affect the other team members, causing a scramble for the tranq patch?
Dashifen
I feel that Commanding Voice is a targeted effect, as represented by the opposed test between the Adept and the target. Thus, in no situation involving Commanding Voice do I require anyone other than the intended target (or targets) to make a test. To speak directly to your examples:
  1. In the first case, I would make the test between the Adept and the guard. However, depending on the guard's instructions, this could be a situation wherein he wouldn't actually perform the whole action before realizing how stupid it would be. In other words, he might only unlock the door or turn the handle (for example) but wouldn't actually open the door. If the Adept then kicks the door or otherwise forces it open, that's up to the PC. Also, since the guard just heard someone on the other side of his door tell him to open said door and then almost did, I'd give him another test to see if he thinks he might have just been mentally manipulated and, depending on that result, his next action is probably to start alerting other guards to a potential "situation."
  2. Again, I'd allow this action, perhaps with a penalty as the Adept may not know exactly on whom to focus his commanding will, but asking someone to tranq themselves definately falls under the "hesitate and lose an action" option for the power.

DireRadiant
Don't forget that multiple targets do this. p. 176 Street Magic

"If multiple
individuals are targeted, use the largest dice pool among the defenders
and add +1 dice per additional target (max. +5)."

Also,

"It
has no effect when the voice is amplified or broadcast via
technological means (eg. wireless transmission, loudspeaker,
etc)."
DireRadiant
QUOTE (raggedhalo)
Can the adept use Commanding Voice to get the guard to open the door by shouting through the door?

Yes

QUOTE (raggedhalo)
What about over an intercom? 

No

QUOTE (raggedhalo)
Are the adept's team affected too?

Only if the adept chooses to target his own team, in which case apply multiple target modifiers

QUOTE (raggedhalo)
Adept and team approach (known) location of invisible opponent.  Can the adept (without Astral Perception) use Commanding Voice to get the opponent to apply the adept's tranq patch to themselves? 

Yes.

However I do not think it is unreasonable to apply a blind fire modifier to the opposed test.

QUOTE (raggedhalo)
Will it affect the other team members, causing a scramble for the tranq patch?

Only if the adept chooses to target his own team, in which case apply multiple target modifiers

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012