Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wards
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Stormdrake
All the fluff I have read in the rule books and novels say that magic is a rare commodity. One in something like a hundred thousand (?) individuals has some form of magic I think was the ratio mentioned. So outside of major corporations and government buildings how common should wards really be?
Simon May
With the amount that the mages in my game like to pop astral and spy on everything and their sister, ruining the game for all the mundies playing, pretty damn common. Any restaurant or bar that's at all upscale and promises privacy will have wards, guardian spirits (who double as beautiful astral greeters) and any number of magical defenses to prevent scrying and astral spying.
Buster
Since wards only take a short time to build, they last a long time, and can be created by any astrally perceiving creature (including spirits), a magical security service can provide wards to a large number of clients for a fairly low price. In other words, wards are everywhere a mundane security system exists. A simple rule of thumb is the higher the rating of the security system, the higher the rating of the ward.
Stormdrake
See thats my problem too. In response to rampent astral or clairavoyence use I have been upping the occurance of wards but then my players say I am not adhering to the spirit of the world, yada yada. A single mage can set up a unlimited number of wards as long as he has the materials or so I read the rules. So if this is the case than I could see a few street level magic users making a living putting up wards for every Tom, Dick and Harry. Now the wards would never be that strong but if broken is the mage the only one who would notice? Is it possible for a ward to be set so that when broken it causes an effect mundanes would notice?
Stormdrake
Sorry Buster did not see your post. Makes sense and kinda what I was thinking. Still curious if a ward could be set to do something a mundane would notice when it was broken.
kzt
QUOTE (Stormdrake @ Nov 2 2007, 09:52 AM)
A single mage can set up a unlimited number of wards as long as he has the materials or so I read the rules.  So if this is the case than I could see a few street level magic users making a living putting up wards for every Tom, Dick and Harry.  Now the wards would never be that strong but if broken is the mage the only one who would notice?

No, the caster has to maintain it every few weeks. Given enough wards, at an hour per point, you end up spending all you work hours maintaining wards. When you toss spirits into the mix this changes matters, but you don't want to use random spirits to cast wards that matter, as the spirit getting notified doesn't exactly mean that he'll tell anyone.

But if the whole point of a ward across the entrance to a nightclub is just to stop people from walking in with running spells and it's under direct observation then a spirit cast ward is probably fine.
Fortune
QUOTE (Stormdrake)
One in something like a hundred thousand (?) individuals has some form of magic I think was the ratio mentioned.

It's a little more common than that. biggrin.gif
Riley37
BBB p.185 says ¥100 per hour is going rate, and hours = Force.
The warder may use Karma, though, to make the ward permanent.
What's the going rate for a point of Karma? that is, for a hiring a mage to spend an hour building a a permanent ward?

If you have an object under the influence of a Quickened spell at Force 1, and the spell has effects noticable by mundanes (eg the glow of Armor, or a red marble under an Illusion to look green), then you can use that item to test the ward: if the object passes through and keeps its function, then the ward is down. However, that requires a supply of test objects, which might get expensive... again, depending on what amount of nuyen will persuade a mage to Quicken a spell.
Sunday_Gamer

Granted I'm not yet fully versed with the updated 2070 scene.

Fact: Very few people have magic
Fact: Mundanes perceptions of magic are usually skewed by media representations.
Fact: Magic is powerful.

Result: A lot of people who don't have magic, fear it.

Just that alone is enough to spawn a MASSIVE ward industry. Someone who has magic, can make a mountain of money perfectly legally just making and maintain wards. selling his karma for permanent wards. Karma is expensive =)

All that to say, it's up to the GM obviously but I always put plenty of wards in my worlds cause there would be. There are more rich people than mages, they will defend themselves any way they can.
Fortune
Keep in mind that it isn't just metahuman spells and their summoned Spirits that would be a concern. All manner of dual natured (and purely Astral) nasties abound. Even things like Shedim, with their exact nature not necessarily common knowledge (and even if it is, in some cases), they would be quite a concern for a lot of people and places.

Hell, in my game gangs like the Merlyns run magic protection rackets, which includes things like sole rights to put up Wards, among (many) other things.
kzt
And they plan to stop KE from setting up a ward exactly how?
Fortune
By letting KE set up the Ward and then destroying the private business that hired an outsider to do it. Same as any other protection racket. You don't punish the other Ward makers as much as their prospective clientèle.
kzt
That's a great way to have your gang's meeting place blow up during a meeting. It's bad for KE's reputation to have people blow up their clients. It's what they are paid to prevent. And killing gang bangers to protect their rep is no big deal. Heck, it's public service they'll do for free.
Fortune
Keep in mind that Knight Errant doesn't usually do the Warding deep in the Barrens, and other places where the gangs hold a lot of sway. Also keep in mind that even Lone Star doesn't venture into the Barrens lightly, and would be even more hesitant to make an open assault against a mafia-backed all-magical gang.
Riley37
Interesting. Presumably, in Fortune's game, KE has learned which protection rackets they can take on and win, and which are unprofitable to challenge. If they offer warding services and no one buys.. and they buy extra ads and offer a promotional discount, and no one buys... then they figure out what's going on, no?
Next step for KE, maybe: "We *guarantee* our F5 wards and if anyone breaks one, we'll renew it and put a spirit watching your business" (implied: and track the astral signature of whoever broke it, and break *them*). If Merlyns then kick KE's ass, and the local KE superviser calls for reinforcements, and KE Central says "no can do": "Act of God clause, sorry, here's your refund."

I lack data on what happens IRL in, say, Brooklyn, when legit companies offer security and gangs have protection rackets in the same territory. But last I heard, there are both security companies and gangs in New York City, so it's not a one-side-always-wins situation, eh?

I'm still curious about the cost of a permanent one-hour-to-establish ward, compared to a baseline of $100 for a lasts-some-weeks one-hour-to-establish ward. Any estimates, or prices you've seen offered by Merlyns, KE or Wuxing?
kzt
This isn't a fair fight. Late one night, four 2000 lb JDAMs drop through the roof and go off in the middle of their meeting. The expected damage to the attackers at 35,000 feet and 15 miles away is what, and it will be inflicted how?

There is a reason why street scum don't pick fights with a major corp. It's why Shadowrunners who use the blood of aztechnology mage they assassinated to sign their names and "screw aztechnology" on the wall of his lab often have bad things happen to them not to long after that.
Fortune
QUOTE (Riley37)
Interesting. Presumably, in Fortune's game, KE has learned which protection rackets they can take on and win, and which are unprofitable to challenge.

Whatever.

I lack data on what happens IRL in, say, Brooklyn, when legit companies offer security and gangs have protection rackets in the same territory. But last I heard, there are both security companies and gangs in New York City, so it's not a one-side-always-wins situation, eh?

I never claimed otherwise. That's kzt's argument. My point is that Magical Protection rackets would world in the same manner as any other protection racket.
Fortune
QUOTE (kzt @ Nov 3 2007, 02:55 PM)
There is a reason why street scum don't pick fights with a major corp.

Funny, but it seems to happen all the time in Shadowrun.

Not to mention the political clout that Mafia backing can bring to the table. Something you seem to be discounting out-of-hand.
WearzManySkins
@kzt
Do not forget the follow up JDAM, the one loaded with highly radioactive toxic waste, to leave a reminder about mucking with Corps. grinbig.gif

WMS
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (kzt @ Nov 3 2007, 02:55 PM)
There is a reason why street scum don't pick fights with a major corp.

Funny, but it seems to happen all the time in Shadowrun.

Shadowrunners don't actually pick fights with corps. They're just tools, which is why they're generally safe from prosecution or retaliation. There is no sense in blowing up a rental car that's already been returned to the lot because one of its drivers ran over your dog.

Riley37
QUOTE (Fortune)
Whatever.

I meant "interesting" in the sense that the boundary between where Merlyns decide they're not gonna push their luck any further, and where KE writes off the loss, could be right where the PCs tip the balance one way or another. Not "interesting" in the sense of "I'm glad Fortune isn't my GM." I *prefer* a game with grey areas.

KE and its rivals have limited resources, large but limited, and if getting into a fight with a Barrens mage gang, or some street shaman with fanatic cult followers, is not worth the $1000 that the local Stuffer Shack franchise can pay (at best) for warding, then I see KE as saying "sorry, Stuffer Shack, you're not in our service area".

The local KE boss might grit his teeth, and wish to wipe out the Merlyns, and might try, but if he fails, then he's way behind on budget and has nothing to show for it. Nothing that *his* boss will consider worthy of a promotion, that is. If he gets outfoxed and drops four 2000 lb JDAMs on a meeting spot that the Merlyns abandoned yesterday... or even if a street gang *did* lose some leaders... what did those cost KE, and can he possibly make a return on that investment, or did that cost give Lone Star the slight edge that they're always looking for, to take over the local contract?

I also see this as where magic is less predictable than mundane firepower. If the Merlyns happen to have a member with fluke high stats and Astral Chameleon, and the local KE mage is a nothing-special wagemage, then KE's gonna have a hard time tracking the signature. If the wagemage *does* track the signature and sees blood magic, she might stop right there, and come out of trance saying "Sorry Boss, trail's unreadable, I got nothing", because she'd rather spend next week putting up wards in the A neighborhood, than start a ritual magic duel with an gang of unknown power... and who knows, maybe the Merlyns pay a cut to the Yakuza and can call in killer kami if things escalate.

Against a mundane gang, then sure, KE *knows* they can call in firepower until the locals are outmatched, and pretty much has to, to keep their rep. But if their warding sideline has erratic service areas... well, that's magic.

kzt, in another thread, has taken a "when the kid gloves come off, the big boys always win" tack, and I've taken a "mostly, but not always" tack, and perhaps that difference in perspective is parallel here.
Riley37
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Shadowrunners don't actually pick fights with corps. They're just tools

In most games, and perhaps in canonical RAW SR, the PCs are mercs who get hired by Ares to raid Renraku this week, and get hired by Renraku to raid Ares next week. But in other games, the PCs might make a point of never working for Aztechnology, and will work cheap for anyone who wants to put a structural hit on Aztechnology. I find the latter more interesting.

WJ Williams' "Hardwired" and Gibson's "Count Zero" are classic source material for how I play, and in both of those, a main character gets hired by a corp, and by the end of the book, the corp goes down hard because the main character was a mercenary, but not *only* a mercenary, and happened to come across a tipping point situation.
Critias
But also because they were a mercenary with a badass cyberweasel. Nothing can beat a badass cyberweasel. Except a dikoted cyberweasel, I guess.
Fortune
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Shadowrunners don't actually pick fights with corps.

I never mentioned 'shadowrunners'. I just stated that the concept of the little guy 'street scum' taking on the big guy 'corps' is not uncommon in the Shadowrun setting. It could be anything from eco-terrorism to the rebels in Aztlan and the Tir, to small corps gangs, or organized crime syndicates taking on bigger ones.
Fortune
QUOTE (Riley37)
I meant "interesting" in the sense that the boundary between where Merlyns decide they're not gonna push their luck any further, and where KE writes off the loss, could be right where the PCs tip the balance one way or another. Not "interesting" in the sense of "I'm glad Fortune isn't my GM." I *prefer* a game with grey areas.

Sorry. I was a little touchy, and somewhat scrambled with a few too many things at that time. smile.gif
kzt
QUOTE (Riley37)
kzt, in another thread, has taken a "when the kid gloves come off, the big boys always win" tack, and I've taken a "mostly, but not always" tack, and perhaps that difference in perspective is parallel here.

Probably. You can't fight city hall when the reward for winning is getting killed in a "mysterious accident" or by "random violence". As the various investigative reporters in Russia are finding out, one by one. And there are few things that annoy a manager of a corporation more then missing his quarterly target because group of street scum is messing with his customers or the people his plan said should be his customers.
Fortune
But you can fight it when City Hall is heavily influenced by its friends in low places. Or if the proposed profits are outweighed by the very foreseeable losses.

If it were worth it for the Corps or City Hall to take back (or even control) the Barrens, they would have done so a long time ago. As it is, they are usually happy to leave the control part to the gangs, and then influence the gangs (or their controllers).
kzt
QUOTE (Riley37)
Against a mundane gang, then sure, KE *knows* they can call in firepower until the locals are outmatched, and pretty much has to, to keep their rep. But if their warding sideline has erratic service areas... well, that's magic.

You have to be a full service business, as nobody who wants heavy physical won't want at least good magical security. And given the way wards work, you MUST have the response contract with the same company that put up the ward and you are going to pay recurring maintenance at about 3-4 week intervals. It's a lot better deal than selling alarm services.

And KE has to have a LOT of mages. You can send out a corporate memo to all the mages to have anyone who isn't otherwise occupied to send a combat force 4+ spirit to 1234 North Broadway in Seattle, wait up to 10 minutes before they go home and to kill any magically active metahuman within a block attacking a spirit during that time. And at 4 pm 250 mages who are not otherwise busy spend a complex action and 200 some assorted force 4+ spirits show up on the astral and wait for the fireworks to start. Which won't take long, as one KE mage shows up on the astral at a standoff range and has his spirits attack one of the leaders. Who can be pretty much expected to defend themselves, before dying in under a swarm of spirits, which should trigger all the other gangers to attack. You won't get all of them, but you'll get enough to send a message.

And it costs KE a lot less than sending in 200 armed guys and getting some shot up, etc.
Pendaric
There is a price for warded rooms in the general price guide that may help a little as an indicator. Personally I throw wards up in what i consider believable and consistent places. So the stuffer shack is not warded but certain rooms in the mid level restaurant are, the high level hotel has areas that are warded and available for a price. Etc
Check my sig for a generic ward provider. I think most commercial magicians are doing this for a living.

Buying the ability to astrally project is a hefty investment at character creation so don't worry about overly nerfing it.
One tactic is to have a shedim at the body of the projecting magicain just as they get back. After the astral combat is done and dusted they should be more careful with there projecting from without side a ward of their own.
laughingowl
QUOTE (kzt)
QUOTE (Riley37 @ Nov 2 2007, 11:38 PM)

You have to be a full service business, as nobody who wants heavy physical won't want at least good magical security. And given the way wards work, you MUST have the response contract with the same company that put up the ward and you are going to pay recurring maintenance at about 3-4 week intervals. It's a lot better deal than selling alarm services.

And KE has to have a LOT of mages. You can send out a corporate memo to all the mages to have anyone who isn't otherwise occupied to send a combat force 4+ spirit to 1234 North Broadway in Seattle, wait up to 10 minutes before they go home and to kill any magically active metahuman within a block attacking a spirit during that time. And at 4 pm 250 mages who are not otherwise busy spend a complex action and 200 some assorted force 4+ spirits show up on the astral and wait for the fireworks to start. Which won't take long, as one KE mage shows up on the astral at a standoff range and has his spirits attack one of the leaders. Who can be pretty much expected to defend themselves, before dying in under a swarm of spirits, which should trigger all the other gangers to attack. You won't get all of them, but you'll get enough to send a message.

And it costs KE a lot less than sending in 200 armed guys and getting some shot up, etc.

And one hacker stumbles across that memo, leaks it to the right source.

Sacrifical mage (say unliked poor performer Lone Star patsy), is sent to the scene told there will send a team of backup spirits to provide overwatch, but they need to catch them by surprise, if any spirits try to leave the scene, to destroy it.

Witness mage, then sumons a low-force watcher spirit and tells it to buzz by the sacrifical mage, and then go to report to Lone Star (or whatever).

Sacrifical mage, sees spirit going away to send warning and engages ... triggering a mass assult on him...

Lone star now has evedince of Murder by Knight Errant via magical means and a MASS abuse of their powers, spread through out the entire corperation.

Knight Errant ceases to exist, and the cooperate council is pertty much forced to censure this huge abuse of power (for being 'caught').

Something as huge a 400 spirits (even if trivial for mages to summon and send), is a HUGE act, and Mr. Murphy (or Murphy Johnson) will step in to see that it goes horribly bad for whomever is tryign to cordinate something that big....

In a world of (flimsy) plausible denability and corporate profits, big overt, acts like this would cause major issues.
Fortune
QUOTE (laughingowl)
In a world of (flimsy) plausible denability and corporate profits, big overt, acts like this would cause major issues.

Which is why crap like that hasn't been done already to clean out places like the Barrens. I readily admit that it's possible, and KE are certainly the group to do it, as they proved in Bug City, but it isn't likely to happen.

Besides which, as I said in the very beginning, there really wouldn't be a conflict in the first place, as the two groups wouldn't share the same clientèle.
kzt
QUOTE (laughingowl)
Lone star now has evedince of Murder by Knight Errant via magical means and a MASS abuse of their powers, spread through out the entire corperation.

Except Lone Star doesn't give a crap about ganger street scum either. As KE got away with setting off a nuke in the middle of a major city, they are pretty good at handling minor issues like this.

And it's got a really tight window to make it happen, and you have to have the Lone Star mage hanging around on the street with a gang of astrally active mages who hate cops. I don't think that the Lone Star mage will get a chance to attack the watcher, as he'll be busy being dead.
Seven-7
The quote is 'around 1% of the population is magical yadda yadda but not all of the 1% has 6 Magic (Now at least imaginable in SR4 since your magic doesnt start off at 6)'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_population

8,909,000,000 (World Population in 2050)
- 1,494,500,000 (25% of Worlds Population in 1999/Vitas(2010))
+ 890,900,000 (Estimated 10% Population boom over 20 years)

8,305,400,000 (Shadowrun 2070 World Population)

1% of 8305400000 is 83,054,000

That's a lot of ward makers.
Seven-7
On another note: It would take 30.1902895 years to cover the Earth entirely.

With Force 1 Wards

If all the awakened in the world had 1 Magic rating.

Using up 260,844.101 karma for permanency (0.00314065669 Karma per person).
Moon-Hawk
I assume that low-force wards are quite common. It is a very simple profession for anyone with a magic attribute of 1 and astral perception. It doesn't even require a skill roll, so there's no training involved. It's it's a darn good living for low-risk and no training.
And remember, wards rarely need to be strong enough to actually repel an attack, IMG 95% of wards are more of a warning system. You might be able to easily breach a Force 1 ward, but then someone will know about it and spirits will be dispatched (often not by the person who made the ward, but by someone stronger) and that's where the real trouble comes from.
IMG, wealthy people routinely have a force 1 or 2 ward on their bathrooms/bedrooms. Corporate meeting rooms will always be warded, but again, it doesn't need to be a Bloodzilla-stopper, it just needs to trigger an alarm if breached.

Another thing to consider is that wards are legal, and there are lots of legal, reasonably common things (low force foci, etc) which interact with them. I therefor assume that sometimes, if you're going into a warded area there will be a sign that says, "This area is warded, please deactivate any foci before entering." But that's obviously going to depend a lot on where it is and who is supposed to be there.
Stormdrake
Just a side not the worlds population in SR is significantly lower than the estimated 9 billion wiki estimates because of the rampent VITA plagues. At least thats always been my understanding.
Penta
One would also need to update the numbers for the fact that demographers keep downshifting the projections. Because, among other things, most of Euope is going to be old folks real soon now, and Russia is -losing population-. Meanwhile, Africa is being decimated by AIDS, TB, nasty mixes of the two, and other diseases. Also, Latin America is experiencing a steady drop in birth rate. Keep in mind that diseases like VITAS would hit two populations most directly: The elderly and children. This significantly "thins out" the population of childbearing age.
Ol' Scratch
Magic is uncommon as a whole around the world. It's not uncommon in select fields, security being one such field. If a field has a lot of money involved in it, the magic:mundane ratio skyrockets compared to, say, the number of mages working as a farm hand in a third world country.
Seven-7
QUOTE (Stormdrake @ Nov 5 2007, 01:04 PM)
Just a side not the worlds population in SR is significantly lower than the estimated 9 billion wiki estimates because of the rampent VITA plagues.  At least thats always been my understanding.

- 1,494,500,000 (25% of Worlds Population in 1999/Vitas(2010)

One would also need to update the numbers for the fact that demographers keep downshifting the projections. Because, among other things, most of Euope is going to be old folks real soon now, and Russia is -losing population-. Meanwhile, Africa is being decimated by AIDS, TB, nasty mixes of the two, and other diseases. Also, Latin America is experiencing a steady drop in birth rate. Keep in mind that diseases like VITAS would hit two populations most directly: The elderly and children. This significantly "thins out" the population of childbearing age.

Yes, but that is modern time problems, just like the tech things happened differently. For instance, from 2020~ to 2070, 50 years of ork breeding and if I read right, they throw out litters of 4-5? Donno.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012