Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Riggers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
DTFarstar
I just joined a game and I am playing a rigger for the first time. I'm fine making the character, I think, high mentals, decent physicals skills in B/R and skills related to commanding drones and driving. However, I was wondering if some people who might be more experienced with rigging could give me some equipment/program/tactic pointers and things to expect. I would appreciate any and all input.

Chris
Riley37
I recommend getting a comlink with a Biofeedback Filter program, and run your rigging connections through that any time you use VR, to reduce dumpshock damage. Alternatively, get a cracked copy of BF, and run it on each of your drones.

Once you have the resources for a fleet of drones, cracked copies of autosofts are a big cost saver over buying a new license/copy for each drone. Have a high Program skill, or a friend with high Program skill, or Contact with a warez dealer. (If that's OK with your ethics, of course.)

Any of your drones or vehicles *could* become compromised, damaged, etc., so file off serial numbers and otherwise reduce ways they can be tracked back to you eg by forensics. Install antitheft measures eg Pepper Punch dispenser into your primary vehicle, and get it a high Pilot and Clearsight and Motion Sensor, Microphone, Camera w/Thermographics, so that it can detect thieves, unfriendly spy drones, etc. Other accessories for primary: internal fire suppression system, wi-fi-blocking paint (with a hardwired port so you can connect your or a teammate's comlink to the external antenna), an extra layer of catalyst paint that you can burn off for a quick appearance change to the color of the underlying fireproof paint. A van can be outfitted with Stations (see Augmentation) - including Auto Repair & First Aid.

Handy gadget: Relay Cable - a length of fiber-optic cable with a tranceiver antenna at either end. Useful for, say, going into a tunnel and still having a way to communicate with your vehicle parked topside. (cost: as per signal upgrade for each end, plus cost of cable)

Minidrones can be treated much more expendably.

Learning EW skill is optional; you can have drones/agents with the EW autosoft, and a rating 6 signal scanner is only $150.

What's your combat option if you get attacked in a place where you can't have a gun-drone, eg inside a bar?

Fortune
QUOTE (Riley37)
Learning EW skill is optional; you can have drones/agents with the EW autosoft,

Actually, I believe that is one skill that Agents and Pilots cannot use.
Cthulhudreams
Another possible idea: Only bother raising your key driving skill(s), buy skill wires and skillsofts for the ones that are of secondary concern.
Magus
SR4 BBB p.240
Electronic Warfare
Th is provides the drone with an in-depth knowledge of
radio communications and the use of electronic warfare against
them. A Pilot with this autosoft can intercept, decrypt, jam signals,
and take on other actions made possible by the Electronic
Warfare skill (see p. 225).

Yep this is available as an Autosoft now Fortune.
DTFarstar
So, I'm in the Carib League. Looks like my main transportation(land) is going to be a tricked out Bulldog, and I'm not sure what my main water transportation will be probably the Sea Otter. Sadly, I do not have the money to purchase a plane. Instead of the Otter, I may just buy a hovercraft. Easier to sink, but more versatile. Not sure.

I'm thinking several Fly Spys, maybe a microskimmer or two, maybe a crawler, not that likely though, at least one doberman, and probably two roto-drones, at least one stormcloud, one crashcart, and at least one Steel Lynx.

So, I've heard tell that individual drones can total up to some outrageous prices. Any suggestions where I can/should cut corners or just general "This crap is wonderful to have on your drones" stuff?

Chris
DireRadiant
A tricked out drone can run you 40k and up.
Dashifen
QUOTE (DTFarstar)
So, I've heard tell that individual drones can total up to some outrageous prices. Any suggestions where I can/should cut corners or just general "This crap is wonderful to have on your drones" stuff?

Talk to your GM and see what sensor and audio/visual enhancements he'll let you put onto drones. That may answer some of your questions about what you do and do not have to buy for your drones.

Also ask what the policy is on cracking Autosofts (and other Programs) because you might be able to purchase one copy of all Autosofts and crack them. There are a number of house rules floating around for cracking and it's downsides, so make sure you know what you're getting into here.

DTFarstar
You wouldn't happen to have an example lying around would you, Dire?

Chris
Ryu
- FlySpy drone with visual enhancement. Grenades that have the "detonate on AR" option enabled.

- "Overwatch" blimp drones (disguise as marketing drone if you go downtown). Depends on you visualisation of the setting of course.

- Drones working as relay station for hacking attempts. Tune signal strength to avoid triggering security paranoia.

- Cars belonging to someone else don´t have to be sold; they make capable weapons and "door openers". This happens even today, despite the lack of remote driving.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Nov 14 2007, 10:45 AM)
A tricked out drone can run you 40k and up.

Not in SR4. There simply aren't any real options. The most expensive drone -- as opposed to a vehicle that can be remotely-piloted -- is the Steel Lynx (5,000Â¥). It's large enough for one weapon mount (2,5000Â¥) of LMG or smaller size. The most expensive weapon in that category is the Ranger Arms SM-4 Sniper Rifle (6,200Â¥). That's 13,700Â¥. That's also about the entirity of your customization options.

And that's about it. Unless you're somehow loading it with ~26,300Â¥ worth of ammunition or firearm accessories, you're not even close to "40,000Â¥ and up."
Ryu
@DTFarstar:

05000 Steel Lynx
08000 Response Upgrade
03000 Signal Upgrade
15000 PilotUpgrade
03000 Firewall Upgrade
----- Overall Device Rating 6: achieved
02500 HK XM30 (SSGs have no business on a Steel Lynx IMO)
00500 minimal Sensor costs

37000 Overall. Spice with autosofts to taste.

This can be paid by work, mostly. You only buy software once, and hardware upgrades can be constructed for half-price.
DireRadiant
2000 Peregrine - Fuchi Helo-Drone (MCT-Nissan Roto-drone (Medium)) 6 2,000Â¥
Handling 0
Accel 10/25
Speed 100
Pilot 3
Body 3
Armor 2
Sensor 3
2500 - Weapon Mount
2000 - Ingram White Knight 6P –1 BF/FA 5 (6) 50 © or 100 (belt) 12F 2,000Â¥
4000 - Response 5
1000 - Signal 5
Sensor Suite
100 - Camera
100 Low Light
300 Vision Magnification
500 Smartlink
300 Vision Enhancement 3
50 Flare Compensation
150 - Radio Signal Scanner
50 - Microphone
300 Audio Enhancement 3
600 Select Sound Filter 3
450 - Cyberware Scanner 6
50 - Motion Sensor
10,000 Pilot 4
3000 Firewall 6
3000 Electronic Warfare 6
3000 Manuever 6
3000 Targeting 6
3000 Clear Sight 6
3000 Defense 6
Cheops
QUOTE (Ryu)
@DTFarstar:

05000 Steel Lynx
08000 Response Upgrade
03000 Signal Upgrade
15000 PilotUpgrade
03000 Firewall Upgrade
----- Overall Device Rating 6: achieved
02500 HK XM30 (SSGs have no business on a Steel Lynx IMO)
00500 minimal Sensor costs

37000 Overall. Spice with autosofts to taste.

This can be paid by work, mostly. You only buy software once, and hardware upgrades can be constructed for half-price.

Of course you are limited to Pilot <= 4 at character creation thanks to availability. You'll also need to check with your GM about how he handles upgrading and device ratings.

Some people do Pilot = Device rating
Some people do Steel Lynx = Security device = 4

With upgrading some people do what Ryu seems to do where you have to build from the ground up. In my group you just have to pay to go up the extra level but device rating = pilot so response, signal, and firewall are at 3.

Where drones get universally expensive is when you start tricking them out for hardcore hacking. Simply putting Stealth on all your drones can run a high price.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Cheops)
Where drones get universally expensive is when you start tricking them out for hardcore hacking. Simply putting Stealth on all your drones can run a high price.

Yep, then it becomes the incredibly expensive flying armed Hacking commlink o' doom.
Ol' Scratch
1) Autosofts aren't bought for drones, they're bought for the rigger. The rigger can then upload those autosofts to whatever drones he likes, just like he can load up any agents he has with whatever programs he has. Nevermind that they're limited to a rating of 4, period, and only cost 1,100Â¥ each at that point.

2) Pilot upgrade for a drone is only 2,500Â¥ unless you decide to (randomly) ignore the logic of upgrading costs rather than buying stuff new. And yes, upgrading software is and should be viable. Go look at the price difference between buying Windows Vista new vs. an XP upgrade package as a nice, modern example.

3) With accurate prices, your example is only around 22,000Â¥.
Fortune
QUOTE (Magus)
SR4 BBB p.240
Electronic Warfare

Hmmm. Now, you see, about two months ago I was going on about how Agents could use EW, and someone popped up and supposedly showed me proof that they couldn't. I hate the Matrix! frown.gif
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Magus @ Nov 15 2007, 01:39 AM)
SR4 BBB p.240
Electronic Warfare

Hmmm. Now, you see, about two months ago I was going on about how Agents could use EW, and someone popped up and supposedly showed me proof that they couldn't. I hate the Matrix! frown.gif

They were probably arguing that Pilots can use Autosofts but Agents can't.
That seems odd to me, but that may well be what the book says. *shrug*
Fortune
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
They were probably arguing that Pilots can use Autosofts but Agents can't.

You know, that is probably the case. Oh well.
Hank
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
3) With accurate prices, your example is only around 22,000Â¥.

40 k nuyen.gif or 20 k nuyen.gif , whatever. It's still freakin' expensive, especially if your drone gets toasted. (And 5k nuyen.gif seems standard payout round here. So if one drone gets wasted in four runs, you've just lost all of your profit.) And autosofts/Pilots, depending on how strict your GM is, may be specific to gear/drone.
Ol' Scratch
1) This is for a drone designed to be expensive. Not for one you'd use as a disposable drone.

2) Conjuring Materials are 1.5k per unit. Know that Force 6 bound spirit your magician is toting around? 9k. And it's pretty much only useful for one run, too. Then you have to blow another 9k to either summon a new one or re-bind that one. And unlike a drone, there's no options available; it's going to be consumed one way or another, an expensive drone can survive through multiple runs and potentially never get destroyed.

3) Riggers can hijack other drones just fine, and thus never pay a cent for replacement drones.

4) Every other general type of character has expensive gear that can be lost or destroyed in the course of a run. Turn to Goo can and should destroy just about every piece of cyberware in the target's body with a single casting. Magicians have foci that can be targeted by malicious opponents. Hackers have commlinks that can get confiscated, stolen, or destroyed. etc.

So what makes drones and riggers so special?
Serial_Peacemaker
Well for when you are in a bar, depending on how well your rigger preplans I could argue that a Van outside with a LMG can be used as a weapon. Since it can most likely penetrate most barriers between it and your opponent. Even if it doesn't, it should at least make the guy duck for cover. The tactic however does have its downsides, such as collateral, glitching, and of course being slightly pyschotic.
Hank
1) Nobody plans for drones to be disposable, but it happens.
2) True. And the mage can summon a spirit on the fly and pay nothing.
3) Good point. Depends on the GM, but you may or may not get the opportunity to snatch drones. (Works both ways, I'm pretty sure.)
4) Whatever. If I get turned to goo, I'm pretty sure my last concern is how much my wired reflexes cost. And my GM has never toasted a commlink or trashed a focus, nor have I done so. So yes, it's possible, but it NEVER HAPPENS.

That's what's different.

EDIT: I'm not trying to argue that rigging shouldn't be expensive. It should be: there's a reason why everybody doesn't simply send an army of robots to do their dirty work rather than roll up their sleeves and do the work themselves. But it clearly is expensive.
Alphastream
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
1) Autosofts aren't bought for drones, they're bought for the rigger.  The rigger can then upload those autosofts to whatever drones he likes, just like he can load up any agents he has with whatever programs he has.  Nevermind that they're limited to a rating of 4, period, and only cost 1,100Â¥ each at that point.

The book seems pretty clear on Autosofts used on a drone (not off the Commlink), but does not say the Commlink would make copies for you. It sounds like they are run on the drone, and thus you would need to either purchase multiple copies or use the copy rules to crack and copy the software. This is the best choice, as the price is high and the extended test for copying is not that long (as compared to the very long time of most hardware and things like Pilot).

2) Pilot upgrade for a drone is only 2,500Â¥ unless you decide to (randomly) ignore the logic of upgrading costs rather than buying stuff new.  And yes, upgrading software is and should be viable.  Go look at the price difference between buying Windows Vista new vs. an XP upgrade package as a nice, modern example.

While it is a pretty logic (I'm with you on that), I don't see anything in SR4 to support the practice. The rules seem to suggest full price for upgrades, and that is the rule being used for SR Missions.
Alphastream
QUOTE (DTFarstar)

Chris

I've tried to put a number of examples and build ideas in the post I made in the Rigging and Hacking topic.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Hank @ Nov 14 2007, 02:23 PM)
1) Nobody plans for drones to be disposable, but it happens.
2) True. And the mage can summon a spirit on the fly and pay nothing.
3) Good point. Depends on the GM, but you may or may not get the opportunity to snatch drones. (Works both ways, I'm pretty sure.)
4) Whatever. If I get turned to goo, I'm pretty sure my last concern is how much my wired reflexes cost. And my GM has never toasted a commlink or trashed a focus, nor have I done so. So yes, it's possible, but it NEVER HAPPENS.

That's what's different.

1) Same for everything. Even YOU. In fact, in most descriptions, that's what a Shadowrunner IS. Disposable.

2) Yes, and a rigger can hijack a drone on the fly and pay nothing too. But if they want something good and something powerful (read: great forms), they pay out the nose. And they don't have an option when it comes to Ally Spirits.

3) Everything depends on the GM. Including this shitty pay of only 5,000 per run on average. THAT's a fault of the GM, too. If you ARE regularly doing jobs that pay out a pathetic 5kY per run, then you shouldn't have all this high-tech, hardcore, top-of-the-line gear on your character sheet. And if you do, and your GM wanted you to, then you shouldn't be getting (or more correctly, accepting) 5kY gigs, especially if those gigs have you dishing out more cash than you earn.

4) See #3. It NEVER HAPPENS for the same reason you NEVER GET MORE THAN 5,000Y. Hey, I can use caps to emphasize, too.
deek
I agree, everything does depend on the GM. If he is paying out 5k AND trashing all your gear, I'd say most players will have a problem. If the GM is paying out 5k and giving you opportunities to pick up more gear to replace trashed stuff, cool.

The pay for a run DOES NOT equate to the value of the run...but everyone likes to focus on the 5K payment and factor nothing else in...

I had to throw some caps in as well:)
hobgoblin
QUOTE (DTFarstar @ Nov 14 2007, 05:22 PM)
So, I'm in the Carib League. Looks like my main transportation(land) is going to be a tricked out Bulldog, and I'm not sure what my main water transportation will be probably the Sea Otter. Sadly, I do not have the money to purchase a plane. Instead of the Otter, I may just buy a hovercraft. Easier to sink, but more versatile. Not sure.

funny thing about hovercrafts, they are built to float if the engine should top while over water wink.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hovercraft
Ryu
Hey Funk, I did not say you have to actually pay that price ingame. But in SR4, a pilot is software (the OS), and software can´t be upgraded but must be programmed from scratch. You can use the uninstalled part however you wish, including selling it. So we could decuct a bit from my prices.

In our games, runners don´t need to pay for many things. Thats what I told a player (twice), if his rigger can´t pay for a heli, he should try to steal one. Taking over a sec. drone is often better than smuggling in ones own drones, so riggers may actually aquire drones ingame all things considered. If your rigger/hacker needs to shoot his own gun in a high-tech facility instead of hacking, your sams are not protective enough.

DTFarstar
QUOTE (hobgoblin)

funny thing about hovercrafts, they are built to float if the engine should top while over water wink.gif

I was more concerned with what would happen when the skirt was shredded with automatic fire.

Since I doubt Fisty will care, I'll post my character as I have them so far. Which is with 50 BP left for cash and no real cash spent. After all this I get 200 Karma, which is why several of my skills are low and 50k extra nuyen. Also, I don't have a BP cap when it comes to money(playing in a 200 karma game where everyone else is either an adept or a magician) so any suggestions you have are welcome. I can still alter the hell out of this guy, but I need to get him done as soon as I can. Game has already started, but had some people have to leave because of RL issues so I'm jumping in.

[ Spoiler ]

There he is without gear. I can also take more neg qualities if I need to, they just need a good justification. So far, they all have one, I'll see if I REALLY need more BPs what else would be funny/interesting to add.

Chris
hobgoblin
QUOTE (DTFarstar)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Nov 14 2007, 03:29 PM)

I was more concerned with what would happen when the skirt was shredded with automatic fire.

not sure, but i think its only important for the hover effect wink.gif
Alphastream
QUOTE (=DTFarstar @ Nov 14 2007)
Since I doubt Fisty will care, I'll post my character as I have them so far. Which is with 50 BP left for cash and no real cash spent. After all this I get 200 Karma, which is why several of my skills are low and 50k extra nuyen.

Wow, that's strong. With all those BPs, you can skill up hard-core.

I would suggest adding:
Electronic Warfare
Software (more useful that Hardware for rigger Autosoft copying and Firewall/Pilot)

Hacking, Computer, and Data Search are nice if you have the BP, as it allows you to help your hacker or act as one in extremis. However, the BP cost and the cost for the software will in a regular build probably prove prohibitive. You could also drop hardware for Software, assuming you will play regularly and don't get months off at a time to do the extended tests. With your attributes, just one rank in Software will be enough for the copying of software (writing is lengthy anyway, so it isn't probable you would do that in most campaigns - no need for extra points in software).

First Aid and Medicine are nice, but not needed. Armorer is also nice - I'm guessing this is a plot device rather than trying to be effective, as I wouldn't expect weapons/armor to get damaged all the time and you can't really use the skills to make equipment without a very kind GM.

I like how you chose Spirit Bane, water. That's pretty fun. It seems like you have enough negative qualities - more is probably pushing it.

Looks fun!

Edit: Corrected who I quoted. Sorry!
hobgoblin
hey, watch the quotes!
Fortune
QUOTE (DTFarstar @ Nov 15 2007, 08:42 AM)
... so any suggestions you have are welcome ...

I'd drop a lot of the rating 1 skills that you don't plan to build too high later on, and concentrate those BPs on upping the ones that you will want to have at 3 or higher. It costs 4 Karma for skill levels of both 1 and 2 in-game (just as it costs in BPs during chargen), but it costs progressively more Karma to build those skills higher, up to 12 Karma for a skill of 6. Meanwhile that same jump from 5 to 6 (or 4 to 5, or even 3 to 4) costs still costs only 4 BPs during chargen (so long as you are planning on having that high of a skill level eventually anyway).
DTFarstar
So, not easier to sink, but easier to immobilize, I guess.

Chris
Cthulhudreams
What is your availability limit? 12 still?
Fortune
None! Seriously. biggrin.gif
DTFarstar
That's true, for some reason(probably because I was sleep deprived and in pain) I was thinking that if I wanted to be able to advance skills decently I would need at least 1 in them when it is really the opposite. Hmmm... time to retool. Anyone have any non-drone suggestions as far as gear and augments go? I mean, obviously Cerebral Boosters and something to make my physicals not suck. Cybereyes probably, though I guess beyond an image link it wouldn't hurt me to just have contacts or goggles. Definitely earbuds or cyberears. Maybe a MathSPU, Reakt, and PuSHeD. Maybe a full cyberlimb so I CAN shoot someone with something other than a drone if I need to. Any suggestions?

Chris
DTFarstar
Seeing as I'm the lone tech character in a group of mages who all have 200 karma, and I just have 50K nuyen.gif to go with that karma, I'm pretty sure I can sell Fisty on any non-insane thing I can afford. I dunno though, first time playing with him as GM he might be strict or might not care at all.

Chris
Fortune
I lied! biggrin.gif

That was the rule for converted characters. For new characters ...

QUOTE (Fistling)
Avail will be 16 instead of 12 however.
Riley37
QUOTE (DTFarstar)
non-drone suggestions as far as gear and augments go?

Control Rig; damn expensive for the +2, but being able to hit high Thresholds is good especially in a vehicle that's carrying you and/or your friends and/or the payload, so max that DP!

Check with your GM about datajack. By RAW, you can get all the same benefits from a trodenet, but some GMs give datajack an advantage, such as more stable (eg trodenet gets misaligned during a crash = you lose your connection) or more stealthy (although trodenet can go under a wig).

Sams deal with a fight by dropping all the enemies; others can deal with a fight by surviving, escaping, and getting their own specialty to bear on the situation - in your case, summoning the drone cavalry and/or boarding a vehicle. A few grenades of Thermal Smoke can buy you time in a fight, to get out or for the sammies to take care of the problem. If you have goggles and a top-rated respirator, then although gas might hurt you, it will hurt nearby enemies more, and you will recover before they do. I don't see the advantage of cybereyes over goggles; is there one?

If you don't have an initiative pass augment, then consider a drug such as jazz, perhaps in a breakable tooth. Ideally, you'll mostly use Matrix Init, but sometimes ya gotta move your meat body to avoid getting it ventilated.
Cthulhudreams
Buy rating 4 skillwires, an expert system, ditch every skill that doesn't meet one of these criteria

A) You have to use it in conjunction with other skills (so like gynmatics because you use it for full defense while clutching a firearm, or perception which gets used all the time)

B) You want 5 or 6 ranks in it.

Then buy a bunch of activesofts.

Also if i was you I'd consider spending a huge chunk of cash and getting a initative booster.

Other points: it's more effective to advance attributes with karma than skills (i'm pretty sure, gooing off the top of my head here), so spend those karma points on attributes and set your skills to where you want them, unless skill maxes defy you.

This combination of things means you don't have to get any of these

[ Spoiler ]

Though maybe you want armourer really high for some reason? And as you seem to want some hot boating action, I'd take pilot water to 5 biggrin.gif Or take gunnery to 6.

If you don't want to do hot skillwire action, advancing your stats instead of your skills would still help.
DTFarstar
I was waffling back and forth between Wired 1 and a renewable autoinjector with extra doses and jazz. The only thing about skillwires is that even with rating 4 skillwires I can only run 2 rating 4 skillsofts at once, which with some skills could pose a problem, and since... actually, the more I think about it the more it works. I can completely work this into the character.... I think. Hmm, I think I can make this work. Let me work on it for a minute and I'll repost.
DTFarstar
Uhg... the problem with skillwires like that is for it to work I need alot more money, which I can get if I drop most of my actual skills for skillwires, but for some reason I just don't particularly like the idea of someone who really doesn't have many skills himself. Though, I did just think of a way to do it as far as backstory. I think. I dunno, it just strikes me as wrong for someone with 200 karma to be so dependent on skillwires.

Chris
Cthulhudreams
Yeah, the important thing is that the core skills you'll need at extremely short notice (dodge) or all the time (perception) you actually have.

But it's not like you'll have to fly a plane without enough warning to swap out mechanic for it.

Edit: just got your second post. it's just an idea, don't let it disrupt your planning.

If I could remember off the top of my head how much an activesoft cost I'd make up a character. I've got a char gen spreadsheet, but not the gear pricings frown.gif)
Cthulhudreams
Urgh, I'm trying to do it and the issue is not that you don;t have enough points to do it, its that your maximum money pool is limited to 300k, and that just isn't enough money to do it.
DTFarstar
Actually, I don't have a limit on BP spent for money.

Although I am sure Fisty would kill me if I tried, technically I could have 1's in all my attributes and edge and no skills and spend 400 build points on cash to have 2mil + 50K nuyen.gif

Chris
Cthulhudreams
Ohh.

Mhm. Can you convert that KARMA into cash? Its much less useful in a way.
Cain
I'd seriously consider those skillwires. They fill the role of stopgap skills nicely. You can still have a lot of skills, you just save the skillwires for something you only want at rating 3, and don't need to use that often. So, rather than buy a Blimp skill at 1, you can get it skillwired at rating 3 for cheaper; and you won't be using that skill unless you're jumped in, anyway.
DTFarstar
He doesn't have Karma to cash rules that I know of. I'm waiting for him to get on tonight so I can deluge him with questions.

Chris
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012