Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stun damage house-rule
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Hank
For whatever reason, Fanpro seems to think that Stun damage is less serious than Physical damage. (I don't get it. I never have.) So all the costs of Stun spells are low, you can buy neurostun for nothing, but a Panther Canon is impossible to get your hands on, blah blah blah

So my idea for a houserule is this: extend the stun track. Maybe 12 + half will-power or something.

Pros: simple, effective

Cons: Less lethal (on the stun track)

Now, I'm fresh to 4e, so maybe I'm missing some large problems with this rule. So, any Cons to add to this? And before you start talking about drain, please keep in mind that I'm the guy that doesn't want to let mages take physical drain, so overcasting just removes dice from your drain resistance pool. (It still goes to the stun track.)
Mercer
The phenomenon you've noticed was present in previous editions. Doing Stun damage was considered preferable in a lot of situations because it was harder to heal and the stuff that did Stun damage (Yamaha Pulsar, Stunbolt) was cheaper and easier than the stuff that did Physical, but once you got someone to 10 boxes the effect was the same either way-- they were just as dropped and if you needed to kill them further you could do so with very little effort.

That said, there are playability reasons for making Stun cheaper than Physical. SR being a fairly lethal game, it helps to have crumple zones in places. It doesn't have to be all blood-and-guts. Making Stun weapons preferable gives an in-game incentive for not every conflict to be life-and-death. (Dead men tell no tells, but live ones can be downright talkative, and so on.)

Stun Damage is less serious than Physical Damage because when you cap out on Physical (boxes plus overflow), you have to make a new character. That's pretty serious, at least, it is to the character.
FriendoftheDork
I kinda like the fix. As per now, I think most the stun weapons are too good as is, and stunbolt/stunball too cheap. There really is no advantage for using lethal weapons and spells in the current system.

If the stun damage track is 4 higher than physical that changes a few things. My major reservation here is that mages will be able to fling alot more spells before going down on drain, and I think magic is powerful enough as it is.

Hmm, how about making the stun track 8+ (W/2)+(B/2) ? That means big trolls won't go down too fast on stun either. And then even average joe will have 2 more boxes. I'm not sure if that's enough though, a taser is still more effective except against high willpower enemies.
Ravor
Personally I just rule that Stun damage can be downgraded just like Physical can, and when it does you just 1/2 the damage and round down.
kzt
From a realism standpoint it's way to easy to knock people out in SR. Always has been. It's actually very hard knock someone out without likely inflicting quite serious or lethal damage to them. Heck, it's hard just make them run away without taking a chance on someone getting maimed or killed.

Whether this is an issue depends on how you want your game to run.
Mercer
I never liked the automatic 1 hour knockout that going unconscious entails. (Maybe that was just way my group ruled it, maybe it was in the book. Who knows? I'm too lazy to look it up.) Even if you give them a Bod/Will roll right out of the gate, people are still out for awhile. It makes it impossible to do a boxing-match knock-out, where the person gets dropped but regains consciousness fairly quickly. No one gets knocked out for a few seconds, or even a few minutes. If they get knocked out, they're out for awhile.

But the SR damage track has always had trouble representing shock.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Ravor)
Personally I just rule that Stun damage can be downgraded just like Physical can, and when it does you just 1/2 the damage and round down.

Are you talking about halving stun damage caused by being dowgraded from physical because of armor? If so, I use the same house rule and it works well IMO (our Troll tank was almost left standing after 12 people fired shotguns, SMGs and some heavy pistols into him in the same pass because of this rule!

But the very same Troll still goes down WAY too easily if anyone (good) shoots a taser dart at him. That he's vulnerable to magic is fine (tanks should be), but any cop with a stun baton or defience EX shocker should be hard pressed to take him out that way IMO.

And giving some power back to the powerball etc. wouldn't be too bad either. Stun spells and weapons should be used to take opponents alive, not just because they're the most effective weapons.
Blade
To avoid that kind of trouble I have them roll the Will+Body healing test when they're stunned, and divide the hour by the number of successes (if the victim has 4 hits, he'll wake up in 15 minutes).

Sure this makes tank-troll very hard to knock out... But that's what you'd expect from them, and this makes filling their smaller stun track less interesting.

On the other hand, I consider that when there are less than 3 damage boxes left (in stun or physical damage track), no matter how small the modifier is, the characters are more or less out : stunned characters have a hard time staying up, wounded characters have trouble moving around.
I also consider that when a character takes more than 6 stun damage box in one attack he's knocked out for a few seconds (one combat turn at least) and when he gets more than 6 physical damage box in one attack, he's likely to have a missing limb or a badly damage organ.
Ravor
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork)
QUOTE (Ravor @ Nov 27 2007, 06:08 AM)

Are you talking about halving stun damage caused by being dowgraded from physical because of armor? If so, I use the same house rule and it works well IMO (our Troll tank was almost left standing after 12 people fired shotguns, SMGs and some heavy pistols into him in the same pass because of this rule!

But the very same Troll still goes down WAY too easily if anyone (good) shoots a taser dart at him. That he's vulnerable to magic is fine (tanks should be), but any cop with a stun baton or defience EX shocker should be hard pressed to take him out that way IMO.

And giving some power back to the powerball etc. wouldn't be too bad either. Stun spells and weapons should be used to take opponents alive, not just because they're the most effective weapons.

No, I only allow damage to downgrade once, so it looks something like this.

Physical => Stun => 1/2 Stun

The reason for the house rule is to encourage people to use lethal weapons as opposed to Gel and Tasers.
Hank
QUOTE (Ravor @ Nov 27 2007, 02:12 PM)

The reason for the house rule is to encourage people to use lethal weapons as opposed to Gel and Tasers.

I like the rule, but it doesn't help at all with neurostun, for example. And I'd assume it does nothing against stunbolt...armor doesn't help with that, yah? Even if it did, RAW halve armor effectiveness.

EDIT: I forgot to ask...did you have a houserule to cover this? Or perhaps it's just not a problem in your game?

The reason I ask is that I see a pretty sick, munchkiny character as any dude with a super-squirt or crossbow and narcojet. Of course, that would never happen in my game because any character with such a setup would be rejected, but I like to fix what I see as glaring errors IFF it's not too much trouble.
Ol' Scratch
Why encourage lethal weapons over non-lethal ones?

It has less to do with the game mechanics and more to do with your actual options to go the non-lethal route. They let you eliminate a threat as needed and, after things have cooled down, you have the option of letting them live, interrogating them, killing them, or anything else you like. You don't have that option with lethal weapons.

There's also less retribution against non-lethal weapons in most circumstances. Knock that guard out and, eh, it sucks but he'll be all right. Kill him and you're now a murderer as well as a thief/whatever else, and you even risk having some third party coming after you for payback for killing that father/brother/son/uncle/etc.

No amount of house rules are going to change those aspects of why non-lethal weapons are preferred. The current rules (and rules from previous editions for the most part) simply make non-lethal weapons a viable option to actually use instead of want to use but can't justify it because they "suck."

Whether you shoot someone in the face or just knock them out, that choice is yours and both are perfectly viable options. Your reasons for choosing one over the other all rely on the other non-mechanic stuff. As it should be.

But if you're the kind of player who wants to kill just for the sake of killing... well, nothing I can do about that. I have no idea why you're worried though. Those lethal weapons work just as well as the non-lethal ones for the most part. The choice is yours if you want to be a blood-bathing monster or not. The reprecussions are also yours, though.
DireRadiant
Perhaps it's in the PCs interest as well that Stun is more effective then being killed. Not to mention reviewing characters sheets everytime the PC gets shot and killed can get to be a chore.
Fortune
QUOTE (Hank)
The reason I ask is that I see a pretty sick, munchkiny character as any dude with a super-squirt or crossbow and narcojet. Of course, that would never happen in my game because any character with such a setup would be rejected...

You outright reject, as a munchkin no less, any character with non-lethal weaponry?
Hank
@ the three previous:

In my game, the go-to weapon is bullets. (For non-spellcasters, anyway.) That's just the world I envision...one where it's easier to kill somebody than to take them alive. I use rules to shape the game to that premise.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Ravor)
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork @ Nov 27 2007, 06:48 AM)
QUOTE (Ravor @ Nov 27 2007, 06:08 AM)

Well yes that was what I meant. If modified DV does not exceed modified armor value, then the physical damage is converted to stun and halved (once). But that only applies when physical damage is converted to stun right? It doesen't help against the shock weapons with base 8S damage and 1/2 AP. Nor does it help against stun spells.

But anyway, before I implement some more house rules what do you guys think of my suggestion? Or do you like Hank's better? Please give me some feedback, I don't want to implement house rules just to change them after I find out they don't work or nerfs/empowers some characters too much.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Why encourage lethal weapons over non-lethal ones?

It has less to do with the game mechanics and more to do with your actual options to go the non-lethal route. They let you eliminate a threat as needed and, after things have cooled down, you have the option of letting them live, interrogating them, killing them, or anything else you like. You don't have that option with lethal weapons.

There's also less retribution against non-lethal weapons in most circumstances. Knock that guard out and, eh, it sucks but he'll be all right. Kill him and you're now a murderer as well as a thief/whatever else, and you even risk having some third party coming after you for payback for killing that father/brother/son/uncle/etc.

No amount of house rules are going to change those aspects of why non-lethal weapons are preferred. The current rules (and rules from previous editions for the most part) simply make non-lethal weapons a viable option to actually use instead of want to use but can't justify it because they "suck."

Whether you shoot someone in the face or just knock them out, that choice is yours and both are perfectly viable options. Your reasons for choosing one over the other all rely on the other non-mechanic stuff. As it should be.

But if you're the kind of player who wants to kill just for the sake of killing... well, nothing I can do about that. I have no idea why you're worried though. Those lethal weapons work just as well as the non-lethal ones for the most part. The choice is yours if you want to be a blood-bathing monster or not. The reprecussions are also yours, though.

I think you just answered your own question Funk. Lethal weapons can be encouraged over non-lethal ones because it will still be alot of situations were using non-lethal ones will be preferred. Our gripe with the rules is that it makes nonlethal weapons more effective as well!

Per RAW it makes sense for the killing maniac to use non-lethal weapons to incapacitate enemies, even if only to kill them afterwards. A skilled gunman with pistol skill can kill most armored trolls with 2 shots from the defiance shocker... or a mage can do the same with a few stunbolts.. and that is without taking any drain or at least very low drain. Most will have to overcast to take down an enemy in one bolt though, so that's not too bad.

We don't want PCs to use lethal weapons all the time, but to make some sort of sacrifice when they do. Only at the biggest weapons are lethal more effective than no nonlethal, and that's when we're talking sniper rifle with apds or elephant gun.
Hank
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork @ Nov 27 2007, 05:44 PM)
Only at the biggest weapons are lethal more effective than no nonlethal, and that's when we're talking sniper rifle with apds or elephant gun.

Exactly. You have to pay for the pizza and beg the GM to get a Panther Cannon, and then you're carrying an obvious, enormous weapon.

However, you can tote around a 10S weapon in your pocket...a little narcojet and a crossbow. It's cheap and easy to get, and you don't get armor to resist the damage from the toxin. And that's just one example.

So I could house-rule the availability/cost of narcojet, and house-rule for neurostun grenades and house-rule taser damage and SnS rounds, and stun spells....

But I'm lazy and forgetful. I'd rather make ONE house-rule that covers all of it. And I think the Stun track extension does the job. Whether my initial version or FotD's is better, I'm not sure. (Probably his.) I just want to see if there are major problems with the rule I haven't thought of...so far, nobody's convinced me that there are any.
Malicant
I really do not understand your problem. No matte how often I read your posts, it's just... weird.

It's easier to stunbolt someone, still I see my players using flamethrower and manabolt. Narcojet is da shitz? No one seems to care, they still use regular and explosive ammo.

Also, the extension of the stuntrack will make Manabolt ubereffective, since stunbolt now sucks ass ruleswise and powerbolt sucketh before that change anyway. Oh yeah, unarmed combat now sucks. Unless you have bonemods. Should hoserule them too, so that they don't become to effective mathematicaly.

I really dislike houserules. A lot. But since this does not affect me go ahead. For whatever purpose this might have.

Spike
It seems to me, that with all the armor that your typical PC wears that narcoget injectors SHOULD have some rule about having to go through it. I mean, really folks...

... Either he's missing something, or I am, but I'm not of a mind to let any old attack just ignore armor because. Maybe magic, but then magic has other things that get in the way (wards and background counts and the like) and generally... well... it's magic, yo.

Hank
Ok, re: armor and narcojet, it's just a general difference between toxins and "normal" stun damage.

Gel round: You get body + armor ~ 10 dice or so easily

Narcojet injection arrow: You get body + armor for the arrow, then resist 10S with just your body.

So, yeah, you get armor to resist the attack, but none to resist the actual bulk of the damage. And Neurostun grenades just bypass armor completely. You can use gasmasks to eliminate the threat, but folks aren't walking around wearing gasmasks all the time when I GM.
kzt
Isn't neurostun skin contact?
Hank
Inhalation/contact. It's described as a knockout gas, so I assume the most common form is gas.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Malicant)
I really do not understand your problem. No matte how often I read your posts, it's just... weird.

It's easier to stunbolt someone, still I see my players using flamethrower and manabolt. Narcojet is da shitz? No one seems to care, they still use regular and explosive ammo.

Also, the extension of the stuntrack will make Manabolt ubereffective, since stunbolt now sucks ass ruleswise and powerbolt sucketh before that change anyway. Oh yeah, unarmed combat now sucks. Unless you have bonemods. Should hoserule them too, so that they don't become to effective mathematicaly.

I really dislike houserules. A lot. But since this does not affect me go ahead. For whatever purpose this might have.

Players will always use different kinds of weapons, even if they are not the most effective. Some chooses weapons solely based on what they think is cool, or what suits the character. Some simply doesen't THINK stun weapons are as effective as they are, because logically stun is less lethal than physical damage.

In my games the characters often use stun weapons, some uses lethal weapons only to be able to take down cameras, droids, and vehicles (with apds) and because I've houseruled the ammo types. For instance SS has based damage 4S in my system, thus only tasers are max effective, and they only work at short ranges. If I extend the stun track I consider upping SS damage back to 6 though.

Our wizard doesen't have flamethrower, and he's almost only used Manabolt against spirits and Lone Star, while using stunball on everything else. I AM concerned about the fact that he can now cast alot more spells before resting though. I have previously considered lowering the drain on indirect damage spells, but I might as well just upping the drain on manabolt and a few others by 1.

Unarmed damage sucked before the house rule as well. I could consider having unarmed attacks being DV=str/2 +(2S) If using bone lacing or killing hands, only the str damage is converted to P. I don't think is very elegant, but could work as a quick fix. I actually dislike making too much houserules to this game also, but when you first try to fix one thing you often need more.

Perhaps a more elegant solution would be to add +1 to all close combat damage... Even a troll using spurs (str/2)+3P is less effective than the same Troll using an ares alpha or a machinegun. Heck, even Ingram X with long burst deals more damage. I don't mind that guns are better than melee weapons, but they already has the range thing going for it anyway. What do you guys think?

As for narcoject, when a player asked I told him an injection arrow didn't do full arrow damage in addition to the substance it carries (which is incorrect), so no one has used them. Besides, they think poison etc. too slow anyway so only use it when kidnapping people.
ElFenrir
I kind of recall Stun damage being pretty nice to run on in the old SRs as well, since everyone had the same tracks regardless.

Besides the obvious...knocking someone senseless doesn't make you a murderer(and if you really wanted to kill them after you could still, you'd then be a killer, but whatever fits the character, not really the big issue here), it WAS easier to stun someone out.

Take the old Unarmed Combat. You had Runner A, who was a human lets say with a 6 strength and Titanium Bone Lacing. He had a combat pool of 8 and Unarmed Combat 6. He throws 12 dice in the attack. He can choose to do either 10M Stun, or 5M Physical. He gets 6 successes.

He's fighting a guy with Body 4, Unarmed combat 3, Combat Pool 8, and an armored jacket. So he throws 6 dice to defend, gets 2 successes, putting the first guy's successes net at 4. If he does physical damage, that's enough to put it at 5D! But wait. Guy's wearing 3 points of impact armor. He now needs only to roll 2's or better to soak that. He throws his body plus the rest of his combat pool(5 dice), which is 9 total, and gets 6 hits easily. He not only cancels it out, but takes only L physical. None of the dice came up 6.

OR, the sam could have chosen to do stun. Same successes. Only this time the defender didn't resist anything. 4 net hits, 10D Stun...defender gets laid out in one hit.

Powerbolt vs. Stunbolt, if that was all the mage had? Stunbolt was 2x more likely to put out the average runner, since all they had was Willpower. Since alot of runners ran around with a comfy modified body of around 6+, it was easier to put em out.

Moving onto SR4, now, we run into the bit where the typical runner tends to have more Physical boxes than Stun. Again, easier to knock em out. While i don't mind houserules in general(i use a few myself to make the game more fun for us), id say be careful making it too hard to stun someone. A, it will probably lead to using more lethal force(if you want the Rambo/Robocop style of play, and have fun with it, no problems, but if you want a more balanced style be careful here). Second, it will make Tanks even tougher. The Tank i know has existed awhile, but in SR4 seems to really jump out due to the lengthing of physical tracks. And as you mentioned, it makes unlaced/non Killing Hands/Critical Strike Unarmed Combat even more useless. The poor combat style is already suffering enough. You could simply make the damage Str(S). Everyone dumps Strength anyway, even trolls these days. Maybe making it Str(S) damage would actually make putting some points into Strength more useful. Make Bone Lacing strength Str+whatever the lacing rating Stun, or Str+Lacing Rating/2 Physical, like it was in the old days. (Critical Strike as an Adept Power might then have to be adjusted, but then starts as you said, fixing one thing leads to fixing another.) But ive actually been inspired to make another thread on that.

Not everyone has a bad stun track, those dedicated to Willpower(and some dwarves who really pump the score) tend to be harder to stun, but it's a much harder track to extend than Physical(which can be extended by simply pumping Body and Cyberlimbs.)

I know im not saying anything new, just giving a few opinions. My suggestion? Test run this new houserule. See how it affects your game. Maybe run a weekend one or two shot utilizing it. If it ends up tipping the balance of the game toward ''kill over knockout, all the time'', or makes things overly difficult for one side or the other, it might be worth changing back. Or, if it simply makes the game less fun, it can be changed back, but id try it before working it into an existing long campaign.
Malicant
Some simply doesen't THINK stun weapons are as effective as they are, because logically stun is less lethal than physical damage.

I stopped reading here. So a Taser is not leathel but it also has no stopping power? Funny. Somehow. sleepy.gif
Eryk the Red
Malicant, I'm not really sure what that comment had to do with the quote. The guy said some people perceive stun as less lethal. Which is true. People do think that. So, um, what's the issue?
Malicant
If you increase the stuntrack a taser will have a hard time doing what it's supposed to do, don't you think? That is my point, really. The stuntrack increase houserule causes stupid problems. I think it shuould be easier to knock someone out using nonleathal means. Simple non leathel means. Witch does not work with this houserule.

Another funny sideeffect is drain. Mages FTW.

This thread sounds to me like "I can't deal with my players, how can I change the rules in my favor?".

I always get a little worked up when I read houserules. Don't take it personal. smile.gif
Eryk the Red

This thread sounds to me like "I can't deal with my players, how can I change the rules in my favor?".

That's not a bad reason to houserule something. If something unbalances the game, or makes it function in a way that doesn't feel appropriate to the setting as portrayed in my game, it likely gets houseruled. Game developers are people who design and write game rules. They're not infallible. So I change things I don't like, for whatever reason. There's nothing wrong with that as long as the players are in on it. I've never made a house rule that the players didn't agree with or trust me on.

I agree, however, that you need to be careful with houserules. For example, you're totally right about extending the stun track. It's a dangerous change, precisely because mages can then more easily throw around magic.

Personally, I don't mind the rules as-is. My players use lethal methods as much as they do non-lethal. Just depends on the needs of the situation.
Ravor
To answer the poster who asked about Stunball and the K/O Drug, well personally I've never had much of a problem with either one of those, in part because I really focus on the Pink Mohawk Aspect of Shadowrun, in my campaigns, if a Johnson were to come to a meet and be greeted by a team of Ice-Cold-Pros his first thought would be that he was being set up by a corp hit squad, Runners are supposed to have big hair, piercings, and an attitude big enough to blot out the sun. (In fact in my games the act of spending Edge means that you have just done something over-the-top and quite possibly just told the Universe to go fraq itself, something which puts the Mohawks on par with the Pros in terms of getting things done since the Pros tend not to have a high Edge, they just don't have the attitude to pull it off.)

I couple this with the idea that Spell Formula isn't just bought and sold, Magic is too rare and personal for most Mages to be willing to mass produce their hard-won mojo, so magical Formula tends to be traded as opposed to bought. (As a side-effect, Arcana is a must-have skill for every wanna-be wizard.)

When combined with allowing "custom spells" to be bought at Char-gen provided the character has enough of a Dicepool to design spells by buying Hits (Including Edge.) I get a world where most mages run around with flashy elemental spells even though the direct combat spells may be more "effective", after all chummer, rep matters, and you get more street cred when you can call lighting from the heavens or sling bolts of pure Plamsa (Fire + Lighting) then merely being able to channel Mana into your target, after all, where is the style in that?

However, to bring everything full circle, even though Runners are expected to stand out, the whole Pink Mohawk Crowd style has been throughly co-oped by the corps and posers are a dime-a-dozen, and due in part because of a smaller spell selection even the most powerful Mage still tends to rely on mundane means whenever possible.

Still it works for me and my players...
Seven-7
QUOTE (Ravor)
To answer the poster who asked about Stunball and the K/O Drug, well personally I've never had much of a problem with either one of those, in part because I really focus on the Pink Mohawk Aspect of Shadowrun, in my campaigns, if a Johnson were to come to a meet and be greeted by a team of Ice-Cold-Pros his first thought would be that he was being set up by a corp hit squad, Runners are supposed to have big hair, piercings, and an attitude big enough to blot out the sun. (In fact in my games the act of spending Edge means that you have just done something over-the-top and quite possibly just told the Universe to go fraq itself, something which puts the Mohawks on par with the Pros in terms of getting things done since the Pros tend not to have a high Edge, they just don't have the attitude to pull it off.)

However, to bring everything full circle, even though Runners are expected to stand out, the whole Pink Mohawk Crowd style has been throughly co-oped by the corps and posers are a dime-a-dozen, and due in part because of a smaller spell selection even the most powerful Mage still tends to rely on mundane means whenever possible.

This aspect of Shadowrun died in Fields of Fire, check out the comments made by the lord of cyberware.
Hank
QUOTE (Ravor)
...Runners are supposed to have big hair, piercings, and an attitude big enough to blot out the sun.

You know, I've never forayed onto the CP side of things...runners have always, in our games, been the bugs scurrying in the shadows of the soul-less corps. (Well, maybe more like rats or feral cats...)

I'm not sure I'm eager to change the flavor of our current campaign, but your description is definately intriguing.
Ol' Scratch
Eh.

I don't see most non-lethal weapons being all that superior (mechanically) to lethal forms. Especially when you add in burst fire capabilities to the equation. They're simply more beneficial to whichever side is using it for all the reasons mentioned earlier. They also has their downsides, though. Neurostun, for instance, isn't going to do jack squat against a drone or elemental, and all the stunbolts in the world isn't going to blow open that door for you.

As others have said, people still use lethal forms of combat for a variety of reasons. So I really don't see the fuss; logically, mechanically, or philosophically.
Ravor
QUOTE (Seven-7)
This aspect of Shadowrun died in Fields of Fire, check out the comments made by the lord of cyberware.

Well personally I've never much cared for Hatchetman, but the way I read (skimed) the Shadowtalk in the first chapter it sounds to me like he is whining about the fact that the Shadows don't tend to follow Matador's code.

QUOTE (Hank)
You know, I've never forayed onto the CP side of things...runners have always, in our games, been the bugs scurrying in the shadows of the soul-less corps. (Well, maybe more like rats or feral cats...)

I'm not sure I'm eager to change the flavor of our current campaign, but your description is definately intriguing.

It's not for everyone and if you aren't careful it can start looking like a bad 80s movie. Of course, in my opinion there are worse things for a campaign to strive for as well. cyber.gif
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Eh.

I don't see most non-lethal weapons being all that superior (mechanically) to lethal forms. Especially when you add in burst fire capabilities to the equation. They're simply more beneficial to whichever side is using it for all the reasons mentioned earlier. They also has their downsides, though. Neurostun, for instance, isn't going to do jack squat against a drone or elemental, and all the stunbolts in the world isn't going to blow open that door for you.

As others have said, people still use lethal forms of combat for a variety of reasons. So I really don't see the fuss; logically, mechanically, or philosophically.

Alright, I accept your opinion. I don't see how you think a taser (8S AP -1/2) is not better than light and heavy pistols (5P AP -1). Burst fire doesen't help, as a SMG or even assault rifle with Stick'n Shock is just as good if not better than one with regular ammo designed to kill.

Only the heaviest of weapons are better with P rather than S, and they have alot more drawbacks as well.

But my problem is not with Neurostun, unarmed damage or even stunbolt, but mostly with electrical stun damage.

People still use lethal damage.. yes as I tried to tell Malicant, people still act based on what they think rather than what is a fact. A Troll Sammie might want to use A panther assault cannon even though a HMG with APDS is probably more effective.

But some use whatever is the most effective or efficient, and right now that is often electrical stun weapons.

Hank, I've discussed this with my group and the conclusion so far is that extending the stun track is a bad move just to fix some weapons. The damage from stun-based magic isn't really that high (it's the low drain that is the problem there IMO), unarmed damage is mostly a joke, and melee weapons that cause stun isn't a problem. The only really broken weapons are the electrical stun damage weapons, particarily tasers and S&S. SO we're thinking of just lowering the damage of these weapons by 2 across the board. The exception is probably stun baton/gloves as these doesen't have that much damage to begin with.

As for the spells I'll change the drain of stunbolt/ball to the mana equivalent. Thus Stunbolt/ball will still be as good as the lethal versions of them and a good alternative.
Stahlseele
if you aren't careful it can start looking like a bad 80s movie

you say that, as if that were such a bad thing O.o
Running Pulp Fiction Style can be pretty sweet now and then ^^
Critias
QUOTE (Stahlseele)

What's Pulp Fiction got to do with bad 80's movies?
Malicant
People still use lethal damage.. yes as I tried to tell Malicant, people still act based on what they think rather than what is a fact.

Thanks for trying, but I already knew that, as hinted in my first rant smile.gif

I just dislike houserules. But if someone needed a houserule to lessen the impact of electrical stun damage, I would suggest to remove Stick'n'Shock and to remind the player using a taser that there are fricking wires dangling from him to his target, so it's nice to put a single target out, but in combat it's shock and drop. If these wires weren't a hindrance by being easily removed, there would be not much point in mentioning them. And no, those are not magical or supertechno wires we are talking here. Also, the wirefree Taser is pretty lame being SS and 6S damage. Not tremendously gamebreaking, but next to useless IMO if reduced to 4S damage. That's still better than the stuntrack increase. spin.gif

SR is not D&D. Sometimes you can stop players by a simple realitycheck. But than again, SR does not explode if you start houseruling. Still I believe houserules cause more trouble than they solve.

Malicant, I'm not really sure what that comment had to do with the quote. The guy said some people perceive stun as less lethal. Which is true. People do think that. So, um, what's the issue?

If you consider the solution to this problem at the time of my rant was the increase of the stuntrack it should make much more sense. I hope. If not, just ignore me smile.gif
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Malicant)
People still use lethal damage.. yes as I tried to tell Malicant, people still act based on what they think rather than what is a fact.

Thanks for trying, but I already knew that, as hinted in my first rant smile.gif

I just dislike houserules. But if someone needed a houserule to lessen the impact of electrical stun damage, I would suggest to remove Stick'n'Shock and to remind the player using a taser that there are fricking wires dangling from him to his target, so it's nice to put a single target out, but in combat it's shock and drop. If these wires weren't a hindrance by being easily removed, there would be not much point in mentioning them. And no, those are not magical or supertechno wires we are talking here. Also, the wirefree Taser is pretty lame being SS and 6S damage. Not tremendously gamebreaking, but next to useless IMO if reduced to 4S damage. That's still better than the stuntrack increase. spin.gif

SR is not D&D. Sometimes you can stop players by a simple realitycheck. But than again, SR does not explode if you start houseruling. Still I believe houserules cause more trouble than they solve.

If you consider the solution to this problem at the time of my rant was the increase of the stuntrack it should make much more sense. I hope. If not, just ignore me smile.gif

Your point was that since your players don't all use stun weapons, they are not broken. My point was that even if not everyone uses them, they can still be broken because anyway who wants what most effective and takes his time to read the rules will find the stun weapons so. But then again you only read one line of my posts anyway and ignores the rest so why do I bother.

Wires isn't much a drawback. They can probably be relased as soon as the charge is delivered, or it could even be stealth wire that self destructs. I'm sorry if you don't like supertechno wires, but this is actually Science Fiction, and it exists in game so why not?

Ruleswise, you can fire one 8S attack per round, modified by net hits. It can be fired just as fast as the Warhawk, and it deals more damage and has better armor penetration than one too, even if loaded with EX-EX ammo!

The wirefree taser is SA, not SS, which means after my nerf it is just as effective as most light pistols. Better really, since they are cheaper, legal, and has alot better armor penetration. If you think this makes them useless then light pistols (barring the fubuki) are useless as well.

And let's not forget the excelent side effect of electrical damage. Most people will be out of the fight if they fail their test, even if they don't take enough damage to drop unconscious.

Houseruling can be bad, that's why I take the time to confer with people on these boards as well as my players rather than arbitrarily making changes according to my whims. Since GMs don't always do that, house rules may cause alot of trouble.
Hank
Yeah, I'm going to talk it over with my players. On the one hand, I have a guy who's planning on going unarmed, and unarmed damage is "underpowered." On the other hand, I want to throw neurostun at and the like at my players, and I'm hesitant to do that as things stand. I could make up new gas grenades, but I think the stun-track extension is an elegant solution to a lot of problems. As some of you point out, there are other potential problems...in particular, I think the unarmed damage is a good point.

However, none of the problems anyone's pointed out are, IMO, as bad as the glaring imbalance of stun damage vs physical, so I want to try it. If my players don't, we won't. I don't understand why people don't like houserules. (I was going to put some reasons why houserules are often needed/justified, but why would I? You don't like houserules. I do. I don't think anything's going to change, no matter what we write.)

(I put quotes around underpowered because it makes perfect sense that unarmed damage would be much lower than armed damage. But this is a game, and we want our characters to be cool, so unarmed characters should be playable, and do about as much damage as armed characters, although that makes no sense.)
Malicant
Your point was that since your players don't all use stun weapons, they are not broken.

No, my players were just an example for this problem not beeing one at all, because only a minority cares. My point is that houserules suck. Always. No exception. Evar. smile.gif

They can probably be relased as soon as the charge is delivered, or it could even be stealth wire that self destructs.

Then why were they mentioned at all? If you go science fiction, why use wires at all? Why not only those without? Why not have a lightningbolt thrower? Oh, right, that's called a mage nyahnyah.gif

Whatever. I see the potential problem with tasers and their kin, but refuse to see an unbalance and hence the need for houseruling. I can as easily fry my players with tasers, as they fry my goons. SR is a dangerous game. smile.gif

If a rule/mechanism does not effect both players and NSCs equally I start to accept houserules, but everything else gets torch and pitchforks rotfl.gif
kzt
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork)
But my problem is not with Neurostun, unarmed damage or even stunbolt, but mostly with electrical stun damage.

But some use whatever is the most effective or efficient, and right now that is often electrical stun weapons.

An option is to increase the realism of electrical weapons and not have them do stun damage at all. Tasers and stun guns don't knock people out. Stun guns inflict pain on people, tasers (in probe mode) physiologically incapacitate them. Neither is going to leave someone unconscious for hours, as they can do in SR.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Hank)
Yeah, I'm going to talk it over with my players. On the one hand, I have a guy who's planning on going unarmed, and unarmed damage is "underpowered." On the other hand, I want to throw neurostun at and the like at my players, and I'm hesitant to do that as things stand. I could make up new gas grenades, but I think the stun-track extension is an elegant solution to a lot of problems. As some of you point out, there are other potential problems...in particular, I think the unarmed damage is a good point.

However, none of the problems anyone's pointed out are, IMO, as bad as the glaring imbalance of stun damage vs physical, so I want to try it. If my players don't, we won't. I don't understand why people don't like houserules. (I was going to put some reasons why houserules are often needed/justified, but why would I? You don't like houserules. I do. I don't think anything's going to change, no matter what we write.)

(I put quotes around underpowered because it makes perfect sense that unarmed damage would be much lower than armed damage. But this is a game, and we want our characters to be cool, so unarmed characters should be playable, and do about as much damage as armed characters, although that makes no sense.)

Unarmed damage, or actualy melee damage at all IS underpowered in that it can only be used when very close, you have to halve dice pools to do more than one per complex action, and that you need to be a troll to rival the damage you get from guns.

I like 2 out of 3 of this disadvantages, but w strong warrior (4 str) should be able to do alot of damage with a katana or other sword. A good chop from your blade can take your head off or cleave you in half, a pistol shot (even from a magnum .44) can't do that, no matter what Clint Eastwood says.

So AT LEAST make sure you don't nerf close combat damage more than it is by extending the stun track - it's already very hard to play a successful martial artist as it is.

And I think you underestimate the impact this will have on mages and spellcasting - it's like giving a D&D mage 1.5 times the number of spell slots and not thinking it will matter. Much better just to nerf a few weapons - after all is the 5S shock glove that overpowered? Or the str/2+1S Sap?
Hank
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork)
And I think you underestimate the impact this will have on mages and spellcasting - it's like giving a D&D mage 1.5 times the number of spell slots and not thinking it will matter.

Nope. My mages can't overcast to the physical track. The two house-rules go together...I think mages actually wind up a bit nerfed with these two rules.
Fortune
Maybe you could try making (non-magical) electrical damage not stage up. Keep Stick'n'Shock ammo at 6S and the taser at 8S, but rule that net hits don't actually pump more electricity into the target.
Ravor
QUOTE (Stahlseele)

No, I didn't say anything of the sort.

QUOTE (Ravor)
It's not for everyone and if you aren't careful it can start looking like a bad 80s movie. Of course, in my opinion there are worse things for a campaign to strive for as well.
Boldfacing Added.
Sponge
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork)

Clearly, people aren't wearing enough nonconductive armor in your game wink.gif
Moon-Hawk
Just brainstorming here: What about an "overflow" track between stun and physical. It doesn't make you any more unconscious, but an already unconscious person can take a few extra boxes of stun before it shows up on their physical track.

I don't know, I really don't have much of a problem with it, but I agree that the electrical weapons should probably have an incapacitating mechanic other than Stun damage.
Blade
It's extremely difficult to have a "realistic" system with a stun track.

If you get punched hard, you'll be stunned for a few seconds, then you'll be okay but a bit dizzy for a few minutes/hours, then you'll be okay but it might still hurt.
But it won't be the same if you get a lot of light punches or one heavy punch.

It also won't be the same if you get electrified, tired, tear-gazed, drugged...

Once again you can chose to use some abstractions (and maybe use GM call an common sense to tweak the rules for special cases) or you can chose to play Advanced Rolemaster.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Hank @ Nov 29 2007, 06:57 PM)
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork)
And I think you underestimate the impact this will have on mages and spellcasting - it's like giving a D&D mage 1.5 times the number of spell slots and not thinking it will matter.

Nope. My mages can't overcast to the physical track. The two house-rules go together...I think mages actually wind up a bit nerfed with these two rules.

Ok if you have other house rules balancing this it's another matter. I don't see why not allowing them to overcast and take P drain helps though... if you give them more stun boxes then they can take more drain damage before going down when NOT overcasting, is that not right? How is giving them more stun nerfing them? (except if they use stun spells too much).

Fortune that could work, but It makes tasers useless as weapons. And Gel rounds that much better in comparison. And then Gel is the only option for PC wanting to knock out enemies for a long time without killing them.

Sponge: Good nonconductivity costs 1000 nuyen. That more than doubles the armor cost for security guards or street thugs - might as well give them all the most expensive models and internal smartlinks+beefed out glasses or lenses.

Nonconductivity is reserved for High Threat response teams, Elites, and Shadowrunners. Most others don't need them, and it's much more ecconomical for corps not to equip everyone with it as it will only encourage criminals to use lethal weapons, which results in alot higher ecconomical loss (massive damage or death).

So instead of arbitrarily giving everyone nonconductivity I'd rather nerf tasers and SS. Sorry.

Moon Hawk: I don't think that helps. The problem is tasers 100% incapacitating enemies more effectively than guns, not the potential for killing people with stun.

Blade: Yes. I don't want to play Rolemaster (again). The simpler the better.
hyzmarca
Two words: Pain Editor. Stun damage seems great, until you go up against a character with one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012