Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yargh! I lost it in a fight with a cyber-dolphin!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Sir_Psycho
As I mentioned in another thread, I'm GMing a character with five point amnesia who woke up in an alley with A D-wound and two boxes of overflow. He took a whopping eleven stress-points. In addition to losing a hand in the surgery, his Move-by-wire is fucked, his advanced prototype headware package is disconnected from his neural system and as his throat was cut, his extensive voice modulation is malfunctioning.

But the topic of the thread is about one particular injury. He lost his left cyber-eye in a nasty encounter with a monowhip, and now is only using the one.

As we have discussed in the SR3R threads, the cyclops rules are a little stupid, so I'm looking to you all, and Kagetenshi for good penalties. I imagine it shouldn't be a problem when "taking aim" seeing as most people shut their eye to look down the sight anyway.

However, the main thing I wonder about, is that this poor slag is left with one very swanky cyber-eye, delta-ware with almost every bell and whistle short of an eye gun.

Image-Link
Low-Light
Thermographic
Flare Compensation
Opticam
Microscopic Vision
Retinal Duplication
Electronic Vision Magnification
High Power Laser (Tool, Designator, Microphone, Optiscan Link)

So what works in a cyber-eye without a partner? I imagine the Optiscan doesn't, because you need the other eye as a receiver, but what are your opinions on the rest?
Link
What happened to the cyber dolphin?

Here is the list from M&M p44 on Single-eye Accessories:
The following accessories are single-eye enhancements: Camera, Display Link, Eye Datajack, Eye Laser Systems, Eye Weapon System, Image Link, Opticam, Retinal Clock.
hyzmarca
Use the Cyclops rules. Your accessories all work (except for the optiscan) but you take a -2 penalty to ranged attacks because your depth perception is screwed.
Daddy's Little Ninja
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho)
I'm GMing a character...who woke up in an alley with A D-wound and two boxes of overflow.

How do you 'wake up' then. I thought that was called a 'coma' and you even if you are not dying, your team has to carry you about.
fourstring_samurai
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ Nov 27 2007, 06:26 PM)
As we have discussed in the SR3R threads, the cyclops rules are a little stupid, so I'm looking to you all, and Kagetenshi for good penalties. I imagine it shouldn't be a problem when "taking aim" seeing as most people shut their eye to look down the sight anyway.

he said he didn't wan to use the 'clops rules. biggrin.gif

i'd suggest giving modifiers to things that don't involve shooting, like driving, melee, etc. shooting would be among the least of your worries if you were missing an eye.
Sir_Psycho
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja)
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ Nov 27 2007, 06:26 PM)
I'm GMing a character...who woke up in an alley with A D-wound and two boxes of overflow.

How do you 'wake up' then. I thought that was called a 'coma' and you even if you are not dying, your team has to carry you about.

QUOTE (p. 131 Man and Machine)
Whenever a character takes 10 boxes of stun or physical damage, the player makes a willpower test against a target number of 6 plus injury modifiers and bio index (round down). One success means that the character remains conscious and can act normally.

Kagetenshi
Some 'clops thoughts. I'm tired and busy, so sources and verification come later:

Stereopsis is, IIRC, mostly useful at fairly short range. By the time it matters how far away someone is from you, shooting-wise, you're not going to be using stereopsis. Ditch the penalty for shooting.

Melee, on the other hand, is someplace where depth perception is very important. Also very important is field of view, which is reduced by IIRC somewhere around 30 degrees—your blind spots are simply bigger. Penalties to melee are probably called for.

Penalties to perception might be called for, though it's so coarsely-defined that I'm not really sure it's a good idea trying to add them. Anywhere where field of view is important, I guess, might be a candidate for a penalty.

This might be useful.

Edit: as for 'ware, most of it should probably work solo—a few things slap an emitter in one eye and a receiver in the other, like IIRC the Ultrasound Vision, but they're the exception.

~J
Sir_Psycho
That article is exceptionally helpful, thankyou.

I can even have the character read it as a way of getting used to his new disability once he gets his jack cleared of resin and gets his neural pathwas re-connected to his datajack (nanite scrubbers removed a lot of his super-conductives).
Lindt
As someone who is 20/20 in one eye and nearly blind in the other, the Nora artical is right on. Driving is sucky, sking is sucky, but if anything my trap/skeet scores have gotten better because my time-to-target has improved.
Snow_Fox
I'm still looking for the dolphin reference. Of is he french and you mean you were beaten up by the heir to the throne, the Dauphin?
martindv
pssssst.

I think it's what some people call a "joke".
hyzmarca
Maybe he was fighting an antagonist that I posted to Dumpshock long ago.
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...4264&hl=dolphin
Snow_Fox
If you got to explain it, it ain't funny
Fortune
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
If you got to explain it, it ain't funny

Of course, one would not be amiss in assuming that most people that play Shadowrun have at least a passing familiarity with Johnny Mnemonic (I know you do!). I mean, I'm not saying it was in any way funny, but damn, how could you not get the joke?
Snow_Fox
'cause until you said it, I'd forgotten that bit. frown.gif

I think I was focusing on the damage and stuff.
Fortune
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
'cause until you said it, I'd forgotten that bit.

That's certainly nothing to be sad about. I would consider forgetting that bit a blessing. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012