Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Officially Unofficial Shadowrun Movie
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Mr. Man
How has the trailer for this been up since October without a word around here about it?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZK1KyEaAe4

He even has the domain name:

http://www.shadowrunmovie.com/

I had to hear about this from the SR4 developers' del.icio.us feed.

Is my search-fu weak or is DSF falling down on the job?
ShadowDragon8685
Are those the same guys who made that French Canadian (which is what I'm guessing this is) movie about a guy who hasen't played in ages looking up his old gaming group to discover the two hard-core players are still playing their original characters at Epic levels, and expect him to join at 1st level?

Then they treat him like crap, and he gets them back by arseraping the paladin in his sleep, and the paladin attacks him and misses and kills the sleeping Cleric? Then the players attack one another, while the DM and the guy who just joined go out for a beer?
Stahlseele
kinda reminds me of "The Gamers" O.o
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
and the paladin attacks him and misses and kills the sleeping Cleric?

That can happen?
Stahlseele
Rule of 1?
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Dec 5 2007, 01:30 AM)
and the paladin attacks him and misses and kills the sleeping Cleric?

That can happen?

A lot of people used supplementary fumble tables in 1st edition AD&D which were extremely retarded. That's what happens when your close combat rules are very basic and at the same time entire character archetypes only do close combat.

People write their own additional rules to cover various situations and then they don't do the math to figure out what that actually means.

-Frank
olivier
Hi! I'm the one who did the movie. Indeed, we're french canadian but we're not the same gang that did "Tom et ses chums" (with the sleeping cleric). My previous film (old) can be seen at www.theactionfilm.com

I updated shadowrunmovie.com last week, found the final name of the film for the english version (Crossing Shadows) and made a digg story submission with it. The launch is set to march 1st. Since all the special effects are done, the only part missing is a bit of background music. I've got a couple musicians doing good music in their spare time but these days they don't have much spare time and I still have around 8 minutes of film to fill with original music. If anyone here has old compositions lying around that you wouldn't mind seeing appear in the movie, just leave me a message.
Bull
Very cool. Keep us posted smile.gif
DocTaotsu
It actually looks... not bad!

Heeeeey... Pretty high quality too!
hobgoblin
could be a interesting one to watch indeed smile.gif

im seeing a increase in these kinds of fan-movies.
with good cameras, and cheap software one can done some nice stuff by the looks of it.
DocTaotsu
Maybe there's hope for a Blue Planet movie...

Blue Planet? Anybody? Am I the only one who plays this?
OneThirtyEight
Looks pretty sweet!
olivier
I'll probably come up with another trailer showcasing more of the action and Shadowrun parts over the parts with the gamers. I show astral projection, matrix, mana bolts, cyberware, adept powers, monofilament whip... but no metahumans unfortunately. I chose having no trolls/orks than cheap looking trolls/orks. smile.gif
Ravor
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Feb 6 2008, 06:02 AM) *

Quite possibly. cyber.gif
Strelkovaya
QUOTE (olivier @ Feb 6 2008, 03:27 PM) *
... but no metahumans unfortunately. I chose having no trolls/orks than cheap looking trolls/orks. smile.gif

yeh dont put any trolls in, we dont want to see angry fat buggers in their mums basement.

Great teaser, top effort. Cant wait for the full release.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Feb 6 2008, 02:02 PM) *

i got the FFG version on my shelf here, nice game by the looks of it but never been able to test it in actual play...
hobgoblin
QUOTE (olivier @ Feb 6 2008, 08:27 PM) *
I'll probably come up with another trailer showcasing more of the action and Shadowrun parts over the parts with the gamers. I show astral projection, matrix, mana bolts, cyberware, adept powers, monofilament whip... but no metahumans unfortunately. I chose having no trolls/orks than cheap looking trolls/orks. smile.gif

are we talking SR3 matrix or SR4 matrix?

or maybe i should ask, AR or VR? wink.gif
DocTaotsu
Blue Planet is indeed a wonderfully fleshed out setting hampered by very specific rules that probably would have been manageable had the game ever gotten to third edition. I've long entertained the notion of doing a SR3/4 BP conversion but I've never really got around to it, after all, how would you rate a dolphins agility?
olivier
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Feb 6 2008, 06:03 PM) *
are we talking SR3 matrix or SR4 matrix?

or maybe i should ask, AR or VR? wink.gif

SR3 and I kept it simple (by that I mean no combat). I can do video 3d motion tracking so having a sort of overlay vision over the real life footage wouldn't be too hard. In fact it would look fantastic but I haven't read the details about augmented reality (or SR4 at all) so I'll have to keep that for another Shadowrun movie, if I do one.
Skarn Ka
Hey Olivier!

This is really nice stuff... you should consider posting a link on the www.shadowrun.fr forums, I'm sure that would interest people on this side of the Atlantic.

If you're releasing on March 1st SrFr could even help you spread the word...

Don't hesitate to contact me in private, I'd be happy to help you out !
olivier
The movie is completed and available for high quality download on the site:

http://www.shadowrunmovie.com/

In case my server crashes, mirrors are:
on Veoh.com
With a high quality download link in the "Download options" tab.
or
On Gametrailers.com
Lower resolution, better for older computers
hobgoblin
would divx/xvid or similar formats be to much to ask for? wmv isnt healthy for a linux geeks blood pressure wink.gif
olivier
hobgoblin: I will try to have one up on the server this week. You're not the first to ask, hehe.
BishopMcQ
I'm downloading it now, I see that it's English subtitled. Est-ce qu'il y a une version francaise?

(My apologies to the native French speakers, my keyboard makes those fun characters difficult to include.)
hobgoblin
QUOTE (olivier @ Apr 1 2008, 10:53 PM) *
hobgoblin: I will try to have one up on the server this week. You're not the first to ask, hehe.

looking forward to it smile.gif
counterveil
This is very cool - just saw the posting today. Looks intriguing, am downloading now!
Insomnia Strikes Again
I watched it yesterday and it was great!

I love the special effects with the eyes (switching to different types of vision and hacking was amazing), and the run getting hosed was hilarious!

Very, very good job!
jklst14
It was great although I did get a little confused about what was happening in the 'real world'. I particularly liked the way you portrayed astral projection and hacking.

-JKL
Game2BHappy
Just watched it. That was incredible.

Acting, great effects, a storyline ... and no annoying cyber-dolphins! cyber.gif

32 minutes of this week's gaming session will be devoted to watching Crossing Shadows.

Nice work Olivier!
FlakJacket
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Feb 6 2008, 02:02 PM) *

Certainly not. I'm a fairly large Blue Planet fan, so there's at least two of us around here. smile.gif Last time this got brought up on the mailing list about six/seven months back Jeff mentioned that a television adaptation might be the better route for something like that.

And just to drag this post onto vaguely on topic-ness similarly if Shadowrun were to ever transition over I think either an animated film or even better animated television series would be the best options.
DocTaotsu
My favorite line so far:

(In reference to being turned invisible)
"Well do it better. Make me invisible... better."
fulcra
The level of special effects that can be accomplished by amateurs is exciting. The day anyone can put together a star wars movie isn't long off.

Olivier, awesome job on the film. Very impressive. The effects were excellent, especially the eyes / matrix / invisibility and astral projection. The laser whip was pretty good too!

Entertaining story as well!

Excellent work, and pure fun for us shadowrun lovers out there.
DocTaotsu
yeah I thoroughly enjoyed it wink.gif Thanks for putting this up guys.
ludomastro
Must download tomorrow. Need sleep.
ludomastro
Just watched and I must say, "Well done, sir!" I wish I could speak French: Trying to read subtitles can be a bit of a pain while watching quick action.

My favorite line:
"It was an insane mission, but next time ... I'm the game master."
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Apr 1 2008, 06:39 PM) *
I'm downloading it now, I see that it's English subtitled. Est-ce qu'il y a une version francaise?

(My apologies to the native French speakers, my keyboard makes those fun characters difficult to include.)

Je dois pratiquer le francais. Il faut discuter le film au sujet Shadowrun en francais.
ludomastro
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Apr 6 2008, 02:10 AM) *
Je dois pratiquer le francais. Il faut discuter le film au sujet Shadowrun en francais.

[???]
You should practice French. It's fun to discuss the Shadowrun film in French.
[/???]

I think.

Porque nadie use el espanol para Shadowrun?
Backgammon
Hahah that was awesome! Bien joué les gars!
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Alex @ Apr 6 2008, 11:01 AM) *
[???]
You should practice French. It's fun to discuss the Shadowrun film in French.
[/???]

I think.

I ought to practice French, rather than you should. It is necessary to discuss the film, rather than it's fun.
Stalker-x
Darf man noch was zum Sprachspam beitragen? biggrin.gif
Malicant
Nein! talker.gif
fatal2ty
Seriously good movie, I enjoyed every minute, you should make a feature length movie and sell it on your site, I'd definately send you $20 over paypal for it and I'm sure others would too
KurenaiYami
QUOTE (Alex @ Apr 6 2008, 07:01 AM) *

Es por que, señor. Porque en Inglés es "because."
ludomastro
QUOTE (KurenaiYami @ Apr 7 2008, 08:41 PM) *
Es por que, señor. Porque en Inglés es "because."

gracias

BTW, I can't spell in English either.
Blade
If you want to learn French to be able to watch this movie, make sure to learn Canadian French. On the French Shadowrun forums, most people had to wait for the english subtitles to understand everything.
Wounded Ronin
Jagged Alliance 2 taught me that if you want to be an effective mercenary you must use Canadian French.

EDIT: Incidentally, I'm glad you said that thing about the French people having trouble understanding. I had trouble catching the dialogue and I studied French in school for a very long time, so I was temporarily afraid that I was retarded for not being able to get everything.
olivier
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Apr 8 2008, 03:47 PM) *
Jagged Alliance 2 taught me that if you want to be an effective mercenary you must use Canadian French.

La Malice
http://www.jaggedalliance.com/mercs/mercbio7.html
CanRay
Another thing to convince my group to play Shadowrun with.

And maybe find some Arts Students who need ideas for a film project...
Wounded Ronin
Finally watched the film. Excellent ending! talker.gif
Triggerz
Olivier! Whoa!!! Pas mal cool, ton film! Qui a dit qu'il n'y avait pas de sci-fi au Québec? Chapeau, sérieusement! C'est une production très professionnelle! J'attends le deuxième avec impatience!

P.S. Real men speak Quebec French. nyahnyah.gif (Just teasing. You can put all those knives away now. nyahnyah.gif )
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012