Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Questions about nature spirit power in SR3
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wolfgang
The topic title and description pretty much sum up my question. Reading the section on nature spirit powers it sounds as if the target number penalty (equal to the spirit's force) of the confusion power is applied without any chance to resist.

It does describe a willpower resistance test in order to take any actions or make a decision, but says nothing about resisting the above mentioned penalty.

If I am reading this right it seems like it's mighty powerful to me. If so, how do you feel about this in your games? and do you use the rules as written?

If I'm not reading this correctly or I have missed something how is this power supposed to be applied?

Also, what is the area of effect for this power?

Thanks!

--Michael
Herald of Verjigorm
Yup, some of those spirit powers are really strong.

As for AoE, no. Spirit powers are single target per service unless it's a great form, in which case it's targets = force per service. Also, except for the conjurer, spirits must materialize to affect any targets that are not astrally present or to use physical powers.

So, confusing the one cyberzombie: single action, single service, easy.
Confusing the entire crowd of rioting gnomes: better just go with concussion grenades.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Wolfgang @ Dec 5 2007, 03:51 AM)
The topic title and description pretty much sum up my question.  Reading the section on nature spirit powers it sounds as if the target number penalty (equal to the spirit's force) of the confusion power is applied without any chance to resist. 

It does describe a willpower resistance test in order to take any actions or make a decision, but says nothing about resisting the above mentioned penalty.

That's correct, there's nothing about resisting it. Can't be done.

If I am reading this right it seems like it's mighty powerful to me.

Yep.

If so, how do you feel about this in your games?

Hate it. It's far too easy to do to have an unresistible effect.

and do you use the rules as written?

I don't know if there was an actual houserule or just a proposal, but since the last time it got used someone suggested an alternative which may or may not have gotten approved. The answer, then, is "probably not any more".

Also, what is the area of effect for this power?

As HoV says, single target except where indicated otherwise.

~J
Wolfgang
Hey thanks for the quick replies!

I had assumed this power could be used on multiple targets (without requiring a Great Form Spirit) as a single service because in the example story in the magic section explaining conjuring Man-of-Many-Names summons a hearth spirit, tells it to use confusion on some guards (plural) and then changes domains. It seems to me that since you can only get one remote service if you leave one domain for another and as described multiple guards were effected that the implication was there was some area of effect to the power.

If it's a single target then that's still powerful, but far more manageable.

Thanks!

Michael
tisoz
I had assumed this power could be used on multiple targets (without requiring a Great Form Spirit) as a single service because in the example story in the magic section explaining conjuring Man-of-Many-Names summons a hearth spirit, tells it to use confusion on some guards (plural) and then changes domains.

Let's see if we can make this work. The shaman instructs the spirit to use the power on multiple targets, using multiple owed services. The spirit can use the power on a different target each pass, while sustaining it on all previous targets. Sometime during these actions, the shaman changes domains, giving up any further owed services.
Fortune
QUOTE (tisoz)
Sometime during these actions, the shaman changes domains, giving up any further owed services.

As soon as the Shaman changes Domains, all unused Services are forfeited, and whatever Service the Spirit is currently fulfilling is treated as a Remote Service.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012