Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mage Registration
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
JanessaVR
I got through reading Emergence last night, and it mentioned that Technomancers would be required to register, just like mages already were. Already were?! When and where (what book) did that happen? I found nothing on that in the 4e Core Rules or Street Magic. Should I be looking in my 3e collection? If so, where? And are mandatory cell samples also part of that? My current character's a SINner with a double life, so I need to know what countries to watch out for on this (I've given her PCC citizenship - they sell legal SINs to anyone who wants to buy them along with citizenship stock certificates).

BTW - wasn't there a power/technique somewhere in some book(s) where you could spend Karma to sever the links to all existing body samples that existed out there of yourself? Anyone know where that is?

EDIT: Ok, I know the UK and Tir na Og are pissy about that, but North America?
Moon-Hawk
I remember in the Tir na nOg (fuck capitalization anyway) sourcebook they talked about magicians being required to register.
Is it possible that the speaker isn't in the UCAS, but is sort of assuming that the whole world should live by their home country's legal system and standards of right and wrong? 'Cause that never happens on the internet. sarcastic.gif

edit: saw your edit, my point still stands.
JanessaVR
Actually, I had my edit in before I saw your post, but I believe it was a UCAS poster talking about UCAS in the book.
Moon-Hawk
In that case I have no idea. biggrin.gif
Mr. Unpronounceable
QUOTE (JanessaVR)
I got through reading Emergence last night, and it mentioned that Technomancers would be required to register, just like mages already were. Already were?! When and where (what book) did that happen? I found nothing on that in the 4e Core Rules or Street Magic. Should I be looking in my 3e collection? If so, where? And are mandatory cell samples also part of that? My current character's a SINner with a double life, so I need to know what countries to watch out for on this (I've given her PCC citizenship - they sell legal SINs to anyone who wants to buy them along with citizenship stock certificates).

BTW - wasn't there a power/technique somewhere in some book(s) where you could spend Karma to sever the links to all existing body samples that existed out there of yourself? Anyone know where that is?

EDIT: Ok, I know the UK and Tir na Og are pissy about that, but North America?

Mages used to have to get licenses for spells over force 3.

Since spells aren't force-limited in 4th Ed., I imagine they simply switched over to "registered mage" instead.

In 3rd Ed, a mage could change his signature when he initiated instead of gaining a point of magic or getting a metamagic (either, both? I don't recall.)
mfb
in the UCAS, as far as i recall, mages have never been required to actually register, but as Mr. Unpronounceable said, you needed a license for any spell over force 3. by contrast, in the UK, all mages have been required to register since the London SB.

my interpretation of that is that technomancers need a license for any complex form over rating 3.
Tiger Eyes
Well, from a quick search from Sprawl Survival Guide:

Many jurisdictions also require the magically-active to be registered and licensed to practice their talents, for public safety.
(Sprawl Survival Guide, pg 43) - this is specifically regarding the UCAS, although the book does say that most North American countries have similar laws.

Strict nations like The United Kingdom and Tír na nÓg also require that magicians register themselves and obtain a permit for any legal magic use.
(pg 62)

Stahlseele
In 3rd Ed, a mage could change his signature when he initiated instead of gaining a point of magic or getting a metamagic (either, both? I don't recall.)

if you initiate you ALLWAYS get the Point of magic . . ok, if you do ALLY it gets to be his instead of yours, but still!
Mr. Unpronounceable
OK, so it was instead of the metamagic. Like I said, it's been a while since I needed to worry about it.
Fortune
QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable)
Mages used to have to get licenses for spells over force 3.

Actually, anything over Force 2. wink.gif
Dashifen
@JanessaVR

For 4th Edition (no book handy while traveling, sorry) I know there's two metamagics called Flexible Signature and Flux which can mess up a character's connection to a ritual link. They're in either SR4 or Street Magic.
MaxHunter
They are in Street Magic -a book that I own but can't find at the moment- I have the fuzzy memory that I lent it to one of my players, but who?

Cheers,

Max the oblivious
Fortune
Flux is in Street Magic, but Flexible Signature is in the SR4 Core book.
Ancient History
It's like being an organ donor, you want the fact that you're magically capable on your medical records so the EMTs don't decide to just cut off your defective body parts and stick in cyber versions. rotate.gif
Buster
Emergence is actually a 3rd edition book, but it was erroneously marked as 4th edition. Most of the references within the book are to 3rd edition books, which really confused me because I never read the 3rd edition stuff. IIRC, the timetable in Emergence is even set before the 4th edition core book. I guess the new company figured they'd make more money by calling it 4th edition instead. <shrug>.
Fortune
QUOTE (Buster)
Emergence is actually a 3rd edition book, but it was erroneously marked as 4th edition.

If you say so. ohplease.gif
Ancient History
QUOTE (Buster)
Emergence is actually a 3rd edition book, but it was erroneously marked as 4th edition. Most of the references within the book are to 3rd edition books, which really confused me because I never read the 3rd edition stuff. IIRC, the timetable in Emergence is even set before the 4th edition core book. I guess the new company figured they'd make more money by calling it 4th edition instead. <shrug>.

Dude, I wrote part of that book. Believe me, it's 4th.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012