Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Levitate Spell
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Dayhawk
So I have a player who has initiated to sustain spells. So dice penalty from that.

He over cast Levitate at 12 and is asking about the damage certain objects would do.

The plan is to fly up in the air and hurl orbiting spheres at enemies.

It seems in the rules he can send objects at enemies using the fling spell rules. So in this case it would be 12 kilograms.

Then the debate about velocity, weight and damage started.

I figured I would ask to see what everyone else had done because this can't be the first time this has come up.

Thanks for any help.
Karaden
I'd say velocity is factored in by giving the spell a str rating.

As for a 12kg object, I'd say (str/2)+ 1 or 2S

Since weapons spesificly designed to cause injury (throwing knives) only do (str/2)+1P I can't imagine something is going to do much more, even if it is rather heavy.

*edit* Oh, and he plans on taking 7P damage each time he does this? Seems like a really effort inifective method of injuring someone. You could maybe change the damage to P since it -is- so heavy.
ludomastro
Throwing something, I would agree with Karaden.

Dropping something heavy on them - use the fall rules for that one.
Whipstitch
Levitate's a great spell as it is without being any closer to doing what Magic Fingers and Fling can do as well, so make sure it takes an action or two before you can really get the Levitated objects in position to be dropped, and even then people should have a shot at trying to stay out from under the objects in the first place. Throwing should probably come with some sort of dice pool penalty in excess of that seen with Magic Fingers. While you can do just about anything with magic, sooner or later it does hit a point where what you're doing would be easier with a formula more fine tuned to the task at hand. Unless, of course, you're just fine with letting Levitate be uber and think the drain differences are enough to warrant the existance of multiple variations of telekinetic trickery. Your call.
Karaden
QUOTE (Whipstitch @ Dec 31 2007, 06:22 PM)
Levitate's a great spell as it is without being any closer to doing what Magic Fingers and Fling can do as well, so make sure it takes an action or two before you can really get the Levitated objects in position to be dropped.

Well, it does spesificly say it is the same as the fling spell as far as hitting someone. However, you have to actually get it to someone with the levitate spell, which could take a while as it only moves Magic x net hits meters per turn. That is -really- slow. At magic 6 that is 2 m/s per net hit. I think most people could about outrun it. This also means that the mage will have to spend several combat turns actually getting the object to the target. How it actually does the same amount of damage as the fling spell at that point is beyond me, but that is what the book says.

*edit*
All in all I think you'd be better off just carying the balls and chucking them at people.
Whipstitch
Yeah, I don't have my book with me; it sounds alright then, since that's more or less just a more specific version of what I was suggesting anyway.
Fortune
QUOTE (Karaden)
However, you have to actually get it to someone with the levitate spell, which could take a while as it only moves Magic x net hits meters per turn.  That is -really- slow.  At magic 6 that is 2 m/s per net hit.

I think you are either underestimating the spell's potential speed, or are confused on the movement rate of (meta)humans.

Humans have a walking rate of 10 meters per turn, and a running rate of 25 meters per turn (modified by a Sprint test if an action to do so is taken).

A Force 6 Levitate spell will grant a movement rate of 6 meters per turn for each net success. Only 5 net successes would be needed to exceed normal human movement rates. A Force 12 Levitate spell, as was referenced in the original post, would only need 3 net hits to move faster than a troll's running rate of 35 meters per turn.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Karaden)
However, you have to actually get it to someone with the levitate spell, which could take a while as it only moves Magic x net hits meters per turn.  That is -really- slow.  At magic 6 that is 2 m/s per net hit.

I think you are either underestimating the spell's potential speed, or are confused on the movement rate of (meta)humans.

Humans have a walking rate of 10 meters per turn, and a running rate of 25 meters per turn (modified by a Sprint test if an action to do so is taken).

A Force 6 Levitate spell will grant a movement rate of 6 meters per turn for each net success. Only 5 net successes would be needed to exceed normal human movement rates. A Force 12 Levitate spell, as was referenced in the original post, would only need 3 net hits to move faster than a troll's running rate of 35 meters per turn.

No, I think he's spot on. How much damage do you take from people walking or running into you?

The fact is that genuinely damaging things like bullets and cars have a tendency to be moving pretty fast. A car moving at 60 KPH is going 17 m/s. An actual bullet has a tendency to be moving at a hundred m/s or more.

Or to put it another way, 36 meters in a combat turn is equivalent to something being dropped on you from three stories up. Painful, but not world shattering. If you can cast Force 12 anything, you have better ways to kill people.

-Frank
Demerzel
QUOTE (Karaden)
it only moves Magic x net hits meters per turn

I think he's missing the errata that changes it from Magic*Net hits to Force*Net hits.
Fortune
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
No, I think he's spot on. How much damage do you take from people walking or running into you?

I wasn't referring as much to any damage capability as much as to the fact that he said it would be trivial to get out of its way.
Mercer
If it was a weapon, like a knife or a sword, I'd probably resolve it like the Force of the spell was the STR.

If it was a big, blocky object (like a desk), I'd probably resolve it like a Vehicle Ram, with the "Body" being per 100kg of the object. So if he is levitating a 600kg object (Threshold 3 on the Levitate spell to pick it up), and he's moving it 30mpt, he would be doing DV 6. But that's an extreme example , most of the time people are going to be getting hit by lighter things going a lot slower, probably around DV 3. (A desk would be a "Body 1" thing, so he's have to get it up past 60mpt to do DV 2 with it.) This makes it not that efficient as an attack spell, but then its a pretty useful spell anyway, so it doesn't have to be.

If he was casting a F12 Levitate on a 1200kg item (Threshold 6 to lift), and had six more net hits to put into speed, he's be moving it 72 mpt. That would be a BOD 12 item with a Ram of DV BOD x2. If you really wanted to nerf this aspect of the spell, make it a BOD per 200kg (the weight the threshold requires, which is easier to remember anyway). That would be a 1200kg with a BOD 6, with 6 net successes to make it DV BOD x2, which would be 12. I'm leaning more towards that one, simply because Levitate is already an awesome spell before you start Darth Vadering stuff at people.
apollo124
This was the first spell I cast waaaaay back in 1st edition, the old Food Fight. Except instead of levitating cans and throwing them at the bad guys, I levitated one of the bad guys and played pinball with him and the shelves. Knocked him out good after slamming into a few shelves.
Crusher Bob
If you are going for horribly flashy magic, levitate enemy A over enemy Bs head. Shapechange enemy A into a blue whale, stop levitating enemy A. Try to to get any splattered whale blubber on you.
Karaden
QUOTE (Demerzel)
QUOTE (Karaden @ Dec 31 2007, 04:26 PM)
it only moves Magic x net hits meters per turn

I think he's missing the errata that changes it from Magic*Net hits to Force*Net hits.

Yeah I was missing that. Of course with him levitating himself, and apperently wanting to levitate several of these globes at once, he is looking at a whole bunch of penelties. Even if it is only himself and one globe, that is a -4 DP. Also, notice that fling str is based on half magic (not force) so he is going to be using a force 12 spell to do about 4S damage.

I've got to admit, sitting up there and using manabolt is going to be -way- more effective. Of course I still want to see him resist 7p damage each time he tries this.
Karaden
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
If you are going for horribly flashy magic, levitate enemy A over enemy Bs head. Shapechange enemy A into a blue whale, stop levitating enemy A. Try to to get any splattered whale blubber on you.

I think a whale has too high of a body for that to work.
Whipstitch
Is it sad that I've apparently lost all sense of humor and become a total rules lawyer? Because the first thing I thought when I read about the blue whale idea was "Nuh-uh! The size of the creature you can shapechange something to is limited by the Body attributes of the creatures in question."
Whipstitch
Simultaneous nit-picky posts ftw.
Jaid
well obviously you first shapechange him into several other intermediate stages (and actually, i think that would really work... mind you, you'd need a lot of hits on that levitate spell to hold up all the intermediate stages...)
Karaden
Hmm... I wonder if it really would work... You'd have to keep maintaining each spell link in the chain though.
DTFarstar
Go go ally spirit helper, I guess. That is alot of work for the "style" of dropping a whale on someone.

Chris
The Jopp
Lets calculate.

As mercer said you can be rather inventive with levitate. but what if you had a small object? lets say a ball bearing made of steel, or a flipper ball.

At force 12 with 6 successes that ball would hit you at 68 meters per combat turn, that's for every 3 seconds.

so, 68 meters per 3 seconds becomes 81 km per hour (roughly).

Don't know about you but would pretty much hurt after getting that in the chest.
knasser
The thing is, Levitated weapons are more like melee weapons than projectile weapons. Aside from being able to make course corrections, you can also "keep pushing" once you make contact.

Your player is trying to trick you by asking to hurl bowling balls at the enemy. Once precedent is established, they'll swap in some horror-movie contraption of wielded together buzz-saw blades, probably with a Hell Hound glued to the bottom to it.

I also don't recall anything in the spell description about acceleration. That may mean that you can just go from 0 to the maximum allowed speed straight away unless you come up with your own rules for it. Okay, 0 to 81km per hour in zero time is infinite force and obviously can't be allowed without breaking the Universe, but you're going to need to come up with something. Otherwise, not only does that levitating knife fly straight into the enemy samurai, but it then keeps driving itself in like a car with the pedal straight down.

A different but related idea, has anyone ever made a melee mage who uses magic fingers to fight with? You get a -2 dice pool penalty, but so what? You can't be hurt. I also think you could come up with some interesting melee weapons. Who needs a handle on the knife when it's only wielded telekinetically? Just have one double-edged, double-ended blade. Try grabbing that out of the air and pinning it!

We haven't even started with technology, yet. I'm picturing some sort of tiny ball with a few strands of monowhip spinning about it on both axis. It would be the flying paper cut of death.

*knasser goes away to create new villainous henchman*

-K.

EDIT: I bought myself a scanner last week, seeing as everyone else was getting Christmas presents.
hyzmarca
The real trap of the levitated melee weapon is that the rules leave what sort of action it takes to direct a levitating mass. I'd assume it is a free action. Thus, you get 3 attacks per IP.
Abbandon
Moving a sustained spell is a complex action so yeah you could make stuff whiz around 1-4 times per turn.

I'd go with a handful of bb's and mess stuff up magneto style hehe.
Aaron
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Jan 1 2008, 06:49 AM)
At force 12 with 6 successes that ball would hit you at 68 meters per combat turn, that's for every 3 seconds.

Unless my math is all wonky from partying all night, 12 x 6 is 72. That makes it 24 m/s. (side note: NFL quarterbacks can throw passes over 30 m/s, and pitchers in major league baseball games routinely throws pitches that travel at over 40 m/s.)

Your average pinball ball, a 1-1/16 inch steel sphere, is about 200 grams (or 0.2 kg if we want to stay with SI units).

I'm going to use the AK-97 and pretend it has the same firing characteristics as an AK-101, and just has more electronics and stuff. It fires a 5.56x45mm NATO round that has a mass of 4 grams, about 1/50 of the pinball we're tossing at 24 m/s. Its muzzle velocity is 920 m/s, about 38 times the speed of our pinball (yes, I know that the bullet will slow down after leaving the barrel of the weapon, but the damage for a firearm in SR4 is the same at point-blank and extreme ranges, so I'm not going to bother calculating it).

Given our kinetic energy definition of (0.5)(m)(v^2), we can figure out the ratio of bullet damage to pinball damage. Drop the 0.5, we don't need it. The difference in mass will increase comparative damage of the pinball by a factor of 50. However, the (vastly) slower pinball will reduce the total energy by a factor of 38^2, or 1444. So a pinball traveling at 24 m/s will have the same damage as an AK-97 times 50/1444, or a damage code of around (0.2)P.

Feel free to debate my methodology; I just woke up, after all. But I'd like to think the math is solid.
Aaron
Incidentally, by that method, you'd need to get that pinball up to about 53 m/s to be solidly in the 1P range, or 38 m/s if your GM is willing to round up.
Fortune
How much force would be needed to break a paintball (or other capsule-type ball) against an object or person?
Red
QUOTE (Aaron @ Jan 1 2008, 01:33 PM)
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Jan 1 2008, 06:49 AM)

Unless my math is all wonky from partying all night, 12 x 6 is 72. That makes it 24 m/s. (side note: NFL quarterbacks can throw passes over 30 m/s, and pitchers in major league baseball games routinely throws pitches that travel at over 40 m/s.)

Your average pinball ball, a 1-1/16 inch steel sphere, is about 200 grams (or 0.2 kg if we want to stay with SI units).

I'm going to use the AK-97 and pretend it has the same firing characteristics as an AK-101, and just has more electronics and stuff. It fires a 5.56x45mm NATO round that has a mass of 4 grams, about 1/50 of the pinball we're tossing at 24 m/s. Its muzzle velocity is 920 m/s, about 38 times the speed of our pinball (yes, I know that the bullet will slow down after leaving the barrel of the weapon, but the damage for a firearm in SR4 is the same at point-blank and extreme ranges, so I'm not going to bother calculating it).

Given our kinetic energy definition of (0.5)(m)(v^2), we can figure out the ratio of bullet damage to pinball damage. Drop the 0.5, we don't need it. The difference in mass will increase comparative damage of the pinball by a factor of 50. However, the (vastly) slower pinball will reduce the total energy by a factor of 38^2, or 1444. So a pinball traveling at 24 m/s will have the same damage as an AK-97 times 50/1444, or a damage code of around (0.2)P.

Feel free to debate my methodology; I just woke up, after all. But I'd like to think the math is solid.

I think your math is solid, but it makes certain assumptions about SR4 damage that aren't necessarily true. I.E. that damage is linearly proportional to the kinetic energy (or mass, or momentum, or whatever a given equation uses) delivered to the target. I like the expression "units of oomph."

Take a heavy pistol, and an assault rifle. Assault rifles are 6/-1 while heavy pistols are 5/-1. I'm quite sure that the kinetic energy (or whatever unit of oomph a given equation is using) of the heavy pistol isn't 5/6 of that of the assault rifle. And I'm quite certain that the difference isn't linear for other weapon steps.

assault rifle -> sniper rifle
sniper rifle -> assault cannon
assault cannon -> rocket
etc...

Of course, then you step into burst fire, automatic fire, and double tapping with simple actions. And then the whole idea bursts into confetti. It's just really hard to use math for this sort of thing in SR4. Often the best you can do is find precedence for something conceptually similar.
Aaron
QUOTE (Fortune @ Jan 1 2008, 01:56 PM)
How much force would be needed to break a paintball (or other capsule-type ball) against an object or person?

According to industry standards, the maximum safe velocity is 90 m/s. Most manufacturers stay around 85 m/s. Of course, there are containers more breakable than paintballs.

And may I say, I like how you think.
Whipstitch
Holy hell, us dumpshockers really CAN derail anything into a gun thread. I'm really impressed this time mostly because all of the effort that went into derailing it into a whale launching thread was swept aside so easily.
Red
QUOTE (Whipstitch)
Holy hell, us dumpshockers really CAN derail anything into a gun thread. I'm really impressed this time mostly because all of the effort that went into derailing it into a whale launching thread was swept aside so easily.

Yes. Yes we can.
Aaron
QUOTE (Red)
I think your math is solid, but it makes certain assumptions about SR4 damage that aren't necessarily true. I.E. that damage is linearly proportional to the kinetic energy (or mass, or momentum, or whatever a given equation uses) delivered to the target. I like the expression "units of oomph."

Take a heavy pistol, and an assault rifle. Assault rifles are 6/-1 while heavy pistols are 5/-1. I'm quite sure that the kinetic energy (or whatever unit of oomph a given equation is using) of the heavy pistol isn't 5/6 of that of the assault rifle. And I'm quite certain that the difference isn't linear for other weapon steps.

Possibly. It can be worked out, though, easily enough. Just do what I did above with a couple other weapons and compare.
Aaron
QUOTE (Whipstitch)
Holy hell, us dumpshockers really CAN derail anything into a gun thread.

Actually, I was going to go with a bow with a 70-pound draw, but it occurred to me that there are far more variables involved than with a firearm.
Demerzel
QUOTE (Abbandon)
Moving a sustained spell is a complex action so yeah you could make stuff whiz around 1-4 times per turn.

I'd go with a handful of bb's and mess stuff up magneto style hehe.

1) The complex action you're referring to is moving the area of an AoE spell, I'm not sure it applies.

2) To use levitate on 100 bb's you'd have to cast 100 levitates... I'm thinking that's a tad drain prohibitive.
Riley37
I'm wary of Levitate being strong enough to hurl slugs (or any other inert projectile) hard enough to do damage comparable with Powerbolt.

I'm intrigued by a mage using Levitate to deliver something that's dangerous in other ways, such as monowire, Stick&Shock, tranquilizer patches, poison darts, or hellhounds strapped to buzz-saw blades. Or, going with the classics, grenades; the ability to hurl a grenade around a corner could be quite useful in certain circumstances. With enough fine control, Levitate replaces Airburst Link - when the grenade gets to the desired point, activate it for instant detonation. Scale up to a satchel charge, say 12+ kilos of industrial explosive, as Force and your budget allow.

My preferred use of Magic Fingers on grenades, though, is to sneakily obtain LOS on enemies, and pull the pins of *their* grenades. Effectively like firing a grenade launcher at them from ambush, but arguably less revealing of the attacker's position, and costs Drain instead of using ammo.
Mercer
I remember one merc-style run where the group was reduced to making football-sized bombs of C4 or C12, and Levitating them across an empty field to blow holes in a building. It went okay.
Ryu
It has not happened in our game, but it seems to be a pretty good combat spell.

I´m not wary of the damage potential, but more of the ability to work around any kind of defense roll by attacking enemies that are facing the mage from behind. This could be fixed somewhat by making the spell touch-range. Plus I´d use object resistance as threshold for the attack in order to encourage learning Fling (changed to Touch all the same).

There could be a high-drain LOS-version of Levitate, but for a +1 mod it does too much right now.
Fortune
QUOTE (Riley37)
My preferred use of Magic Fingers on grenades, though, is to sneakily obtain LOS on enemies, and pull the pins of *their* grenades.

Which is why I just rule that in 50 or 60 years, with the advancement of technology and the advent of just that very magical battlefield tactic that pin activation is not standard issue for grenades in Shadowrun.
kzt
People who actually carry grenades (who are not idiots, or allow idiots to work for them) keep the spoon taped down and the grenade in a pouch that covers the pin and spoon completely. This requires the grenade to be removed from the pouch to have enough space for the spoon to move one the tape is off, and the tape can't be removed until the grenade is removed from the pouch.
Konsaki
And that's why it takes a compex action to ready a grenade... or it would in that case.
kzt
Yup. It's the easiest weapon with which an infantryman can accidentally kill himself and his fire team. People try to avoid this. It's also, from the one time I actually threw a live frag grenade, rather difficult to casually pull the pin. It takes a pretty darn hard pull and twist to straighten it and remove it. Again, by design.
Jhaiisiin
2) To use levitate on 100 bb's you'd have to cast 100 levitates... I'm thinking that's a tad drain prohibitive.

Or use the spell design rules to make an area effect LOS spell that's restricted to voluntary targets only. The BB's can't say no, so they're affected, and you just choose not to be, and boom, 100 bb's all floating happily for manageable drain.
Stahlseele
The BB's can't say no

so they are consenting if they are not opposing? O.o
usually, for things NOT ALIVE you just use treshold for non living things and they get no spell resistance if that is beaten, if i am not mistaken O.o
Whipstitch
How else are you going to "activate" a grenade if you don't have a pin or some other physical mechanism? I wouldn't really feel comfortable trading "Mages can kill me with Magic Fingers" for "Hackers can set off the ordnance I'm carrying from the comfort of their living room". I guess maybe grenades could be compatible with skinlinks or something, but it's still starting to hit me as needlessly ornate. I still prefer kzt's method of simply having your grenades buttoned down in your kit.
Jhaiisiin
Bah, make the grenade have a thumb print scanner that is preloaded by the local armory tech with acceptable fingerprints (read: on duty security personnel). No wireless, and can't be changed in the field. Then neither magic fingers nor hackers are an issue. Of course, control actions on the other hand...
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Whipstitch)
How else are you going to "activate" a grenade if you don't have a pin or some other physical mechanism? I wouldn't really feel comfortable trading "Mages can kill me with Magic Fingers" for "Hackers can set off the ordnance sitting in my kit from the comfort of their living room".

Pulling the pin supplies power to the wireless radio. The grenade was subscribed to the soldiers PAN ahead of time. It may or may not be skinlink only, depending on security required. The mental command can then set the fuse for a desired amount of time or (if not using skinlink) simply detonated with a mental command after being set/thrown.

It can't be hacked ahead of time, because it's not on. Even if a mage could pull the pin, that would only make it available to be hacked, but the very first thing it would do would be to alert the user that it was armed, so the hacker had better be darn quick. It doesn't really take any more time to use than any other grenade (possibly an extra free action, possibly not depending on how it is configured), but you add mountains of functionality.

At least, that's generally how I figure "modern" grenades work in my game. Some people still use old army surplus, but with things like magic fingers they tend to be more of a liability.
knasser
I knew this thread was out there somewhere.

This has been all been done before, albeit in a slightly unusual manner. biggrin.gif
Dayhawk
OK so the heart of this is the fact that Levitate is a Sustaining spell which he can sustain for free as long as it doesn't get dropped by a ward or whatever.

Because of this he used edge and cast the spell 3 times until he got 11 successes. He was hurt by the drain but since it was downtime, it ended up not being an issue.

Now he has a giant sphere weighing 12 kilo's at the ready. It's dense material so its not that large for the weight. About the size of a softball.

I have ruled that the range he can use it in a turn is a total of 132 meters. It is a complex action and so he end up getting 3 uses per turn. (Again as long as the total distance moved is less then 132 meters).

This comes to 44 m/s.

The rules say it is stun damage unless the GM agree's its otherwise and at this moment I am sticking with Stun.

So how much damage would make sense for a 12 Kilo object (~26 pounds) moving at 44 m/s (98 mph)?

My personal belief is that this should never had been allowed with a Sustained spell. But its in the book so...
kzt
I don't know. How much damage would you expect from having a 26 pound object fall onto your head from 300 feet up? dead.gif
knasser
QUOTE (Dayhawk @ Jan 2 2008, 08:07 PM)
My personal belief is that this should never had been allowed with a Sustained spell. But its in the book so...

What's interesting to me is that you allow the character to sustain the spell for what is obviously quite a long time, if the player cast it during down time and has since healed the damage. There's nothing that specifically limits this in the game, but I would say anything that causes a -2 dice pool penalty has to be considered to be some effort or distraction. It might not be a problem within a run, but I would think that sustaining a spell for days would at the very least be like enduring a constant headache. If it's on a sustaining focus, then no matter, but I'm just curious how much allowance you make because you didn't specify one.

At any rate, how much damage - it's probably quite a bit but you have to consider how accurately the target is struck. After all, getting whacked in the neck with a katana is nasty, but the weapon still only does Str/2+3P. That's because getting hit specifically in the neck is the result of extra hits on the attack roll. Just because we imagine a lead ball dropping on someone's head, doesn't mean that this is what the weapon does. And the speed of this ball might seem a lot (is a lot), but is it more than a swinging club?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012