Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VCR issue
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Fygg Nuuton
Do vehicle control rigs require the use of a datajack, or does it have a dedicated port? If it uses a datajack, does it come with one?

I tried to do a search but came up empty handed.
Kagetenshi
Uses a datajack, does not come with one. Reference: SR3, page 130.

~J
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Fygg Nuuton)
VCR issue, How to get it past 12:00...

rotfl.gif

...ahh, life's greatest mystery...
Fygg Nuuton
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Uses a datajack, does not come with one. Reference: SR3, page 130.

~J

Thank you kindly
CircuitBoyBlue
There's also fluff about how a rigger's datajack is located sort of beneath and behind the ear because that way you don't need to drill a hole in your helmet, and also it has to do with the part of the brain you want to connect with for rigging (as opposed to decking, which is better with the jack in your temple). Nothing in the rules, I just thought you might be interested.
Slump
Yeah, the fluff says riggers get the datajack in the 'middle brain,' which is the part of the brain that coordinates all of those little body movements that keep you from falling over when you try to walk.
Ryu
Rigger 2 even made a rules difference between Datajacks placed for rigging and those placed for hacking. Don´t know if they kept that in Rigger 3, don´t have access to that at the moment.
ShaunClinton
Routinely our riggers take 2 datajacks, just for fluff reasons. There did use to be a difference in SR2, think if you had one and used it for the other there were TN penalties.
Kagetenshi
SR3 also has those rules. They're immensely obnoxious IMO, but since I typically pick up two datajacks anyway I don't complain too loudly.

~J
Platinum
QUOTE (ShaunClinton)
Routinely our riggers take 2 datajacks, just for fluff reasons. There did use to be a difference in SR2, think if you had one and used it for the other there were TN penalties.

3rd edition had the penalties, stupidest thing I heard in a long time.

In second edition magic rating affected decking.
Telion
2 data jacks have their advantages.
1 datajack allows 3 cyberware connections.
Eyes, ears, VCR, orientation systems...

I've typically used the 2nd connection to jack into my poc sec as a storage device or to pull up tactical computer sense programs, knowsofts, etc... into memory.

External routers could be used to split up the connections between external devices.
CircuitBoyBlue
I always had my second datajack plugged into the truck stereo, because I'd ripped the speakers out and replaced them with an extra CF for rockets. Eat it, pigs.
Fygg Nuuton
QUOTE (Platinum)

Wait, how the what?
Fortune
QUOTE (Fygg Nuuton @ Jan 10 2008, 06:52 PM)
QUOTE (Platinum @ Jan 9 2008, 02:59 PM)

Wait, how the what?

'Tis true (although it might have actually been only in first edition). I can't recall the exact numbers involved, but a magician who jacked in suffered a penalty to all of his online activities. The fluff described it as bad headaches and the like.
Kagetenshi
Wasn't it +Magic or something punishing like that? It's been too long since I had access to the old core books.

~J
Fortune
Dunno. I was thinking it was more like just a flat +2 TN, but as with you, it's been way too long since I last looked.
Daddy's Little Ninja
That sounds right. The idea is that Magic users, so tied to how they see the world, they are disoriented in the make believe world of the matrix.

QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Jan 8 2008, 06:00 PM)
QUOTE (Fygg Nuuton)
VCR issue, How to get it past 12:00...

rotfl.gif

...ahh, life's greatest mystery...

I just put the damn thing in orbit, going 1,000 mph so it is always at the spot on the globe that is 12:00. Much easier that figuring out how to set the clock!
Platinum
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Wasn't it +Magic or something punishing like that? It's been too long since I had access to the old core books.

~J

I thought it was +magic rating. That rule really bugged me, because as far as I remember first edition let you deck without penalty, (as did the computer game) but the whole 3rd ed VCR thing really didn't make any sense. +2 unless you have a reflex trigger.

It made more sense to me that magic would mess up decking more than a VCR which is close to the same thing, but both rules should be ignored.
Link
The magical decker rule was in Virtual Realities (SR1).
Cochise
QUOTE (Link)

...a nd probably inspired by Sam Verner's Matrix malfunctions .. or was it the other way round?
Daddy's Little Ninja
Who?
Fortune
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja)
Who?

That's just sad!

Sam Verner = Twist. The Decker-turned-Dog Shaman protagonist in the very first Shadowrun novel trilogy.
Stahlseele
yeah, main-character in the other trilogy of novels in the SR universe that gets allmost as much FLAK as the Dragon-Heart stuff and exactly because of him *g*
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Jan 12 2008, 12:48 AM)
Who?

That's just sad!

Sam Verner = Twist. The Decker-turned-Dog Shaman protagonist in the very first Shadowrun novel trilogy.

She's just making us feel old. She only started SR a few years ago. Don't worry, I'll smack her tomorrow.
sinthalix
QUOTE (Link)

Virtual Realities, pg 52 (1st ed). Two methods were given TN+Magic Rating or TN+Sorcery skill.

Can't find anything in VR2.0 though. I guess it was dropped by then.
Fortune
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Jan 12 2008, 12:28 PM)
She's just making us feel old.

Well ... I don't need her help! biggrin.gif

Twist has a pretty integral part in the history of the Sixth World, being directly responsible for the second (or third, depending on your point of view) Ghost Dance which destroyed the majority of independent nuclear weapons in the mid '50s. Not to mention his part in the release of Spider.
Fortune
QUOTE (sinthalix)
Virtual Realities, pg 52 (1st ed). Two methods were given TN+Magic Rating or TN+Sorcery skill.

Oh well. At least I knew it was 1st Edition. smile.gif
sinthalix
I had to pull them off the bookshelf to check. It had been a while since I had even opened those two books.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012