Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The [fictional] Shadowland's most loved and hated
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
HMHVV Hunter
One of the most unique things about the Shadowrun sourcebooks is their format - taking the form of an online document which various players in the metaplot comment on. And one way they managed to make that format believable is by injecting some unique personality into the various players.

Like most internet (or Matrix, as the case may be) message boards, there's denizens of Shadowland we as readers love and hate (or love to hate).

So what are some of your favorite (and least favorite) Shadowland denizens from the SR sourcebooks?
Fortune
Fortune! biggrin.gif

I like Dragonslayer. And the Dragons. And the IEs. smile.gif
CountZero
I have to say my most loved Shadowland posters would have definitely been Captain_Chaos (RIP), Dodger and Fastjack.
Ravor
Personally I always liked the various one-offs better because they could spout off all types of nonsense from book to book.
Stahlseele
the Laughing Man(Har Lea Quinn[Harlekin]) and BigD(whose online name i can't seem to remember for the life of me) of course . . virtually the only ones of the whole bunch who seem to have something akin to a sense of humor really . .
Roadspike
I agree that the one-offs are often the most amusing, but I really liked Matador and Hatchetman (although Fastjack is often good for a laugh).
Kyoto Kid
...<the smiling bandit...strikes again! hahaha!>
Ryu
The Big D, Kane,... The Big D was the first matrix dragon for me, back in SR2. And I find Kanes attitudes morbidly amusing.
Grinder
QUOTE (Fortune)
Fortune! biggrin.gif

I like Dragonslayer. And the Dragons. And the IEs. smile.gif

QFT.

I also liked SPD.
Zemiron
I love The Lone Gunman's conspiracies. I love how after the Matrix Crash, he posts and someone says something like "of all the people to survive."

I love the Big D and Laughing Man. I like Fastjack, Dodger, and Twist. The Chromed Accountant is good too.
Gelare
Oh man, the Chromed Accountant and Nuyen Nick and the Keynesian Kid!

Not that I dig economics or anything...
Kyoto Kid
...yeah SPD was pretty cool.

On the other side there was Wappler the Weatherman, named after a RL meteorologist who used to work for KIRO 7 news.
Stahlseele
alien queen is/was pretty cool too *g*
finally someone who doesn't give a crap as to social repercussions because of obvious cyber and instead just has fun with her stuff *g*
Black Irish
I always enjoyed the back and forth between Neon Samurai and the guy (handle escapes me) who supposedly worked for Ares. There was quite a bit in the Street Sam CAtalogue, something about Neon Samurai's father being offed by Ares over his work on lasers.
martindv
Nightfire.

He's a company man decker (he has an essay about being a company man in Corp Download), and the exchange was in Fields of Fire.
CircuitBoyBlue
It was in both. Yay subplots in gun books!
martindv
Not really. Samurai Guide just had Neon Samurai flipping a nut over the sale of man-portable lasers. The interchange was in Fields of Fire.
martindv
Not really. Samurai Guide just had Neon Samurai flipping a nut over the sale of man-portable lasers. The interchange was in Fields of Fire.
Kalvan
I've enjoyed The Smiling Bandit, Old Gringo, and Electron Sorcerer.
HMHVV Hunter
Some of my favorites:

-Bung: He should tone down the snark on occasion, but some of his comments just beg for a background rim-shot. Other times, the sarcasm is just great. Plus, he took Skeptic down a peg in "Target: Wastelands"

-Slamm-O!: Always a fun time with this guy. I just like the guy's attitude.

-Matador: A warrior with a code of honor - something definitely to be admired.

-Smiling Bandit - smart guy, and good at presenting the info in an interesting way. Wish I had more teachers like that in college.

LEAST favorites:

-Buzz: Humanis punk. I'm not a fan of the Sons of Sauron, but is it too much to ask that they curb-stomp this punk-ass in the near future?

-Dragonslayer: "The stock market's fallen 200 points?! IT'S A DRAGON! Aztlan declares war on Texas? A DRAGON'S BEHIND IT! The next big comet is about to crash into the earth? THE DRAGONS CALLED IT HERE, THOSE SCALY BASTARDS!" It just wears thin after a while.

-Priest: "Want to know the color of Nadja Daviar's bedsheets? Fork over 1,000 nuyen and then we'll talk." C'mon, Shadowland's supposed to be about the FREE exchange of info - give us SOMETHING!

-Tish Bite: She's a vampire. Vampires kill people. Need I any other reason?

And an honorable mention into "least favorite," because i'm not quite sure where he stands: Captain Chaos.

Yes, the Cap. The reason: the way he handles the near-race riots that break out on Shadowland. Typically the Humanis troll gets a warning, while the people who get offended enough to muster a counter-response get kicked off. Seem like a disparity there? Makes me wonder if he's got a white hooded virtual robe to add to his icon...
Fortune
QUOTE (HMHVV Hunter)
... the Humanis troll ...

Just ... looks ... odd! biggrin.gif
Shockwave_IIc
My favourites were
Syzygy and Slamm-O, oh and Ultra V

Disliked Dragon Slayer.
martindv
QUOTE (HMHVV Hunter)

And an honorable mention into "least favorite," because i'm not quite sure where he stands: Captain Chaos.

Yes, the Cap. The reason: the way he handles the near-race riots that break out on Shadowland. Typically the Humanis troll gets a warning, while the people who get offended enough to muster a counter-response get kicked off. Seem like a disparity there? Makes me wonder if he's got a white hooded virtual robe to add to his icon...

Vampires don't necessarily kill people, and even if they do there's a not-insignificant chance that it was a willing victim who wanted to become a vampire. Because, in the end, people are stupid.

As for Cap, I find that amusing insofar as people who flame trolls tend to escalate way beyond the troll itself in numerous instances. I see no problem with Cap's actions (not that there are many examples of repliers getting sent to ShadowCell). But I also find it funny when racists are the most level-headed people in the discussion because it makes their critics look even more naive, emotional, and foolish.
Stahlseele

considering that most shadowrunners make a living by killing people that is a little harsh in my eyes *g*
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (HMHVV Hunter)

You know, I also dislike the captain, but my reason is pretty much diametrically opposed to yours. Are there any page references I could look at to see this? I most definitely remember a despicably pro-metahuman bias in pretty much all of the books (for why it's despicable, see some of the other threads on how Shadowrun handles racism).

~J
ShaunClinton
Rabid from PAOE has to be my fave! Especially the incongrous post about Meistersingers!
HMHVV Hunter
QUOTE (Stahlseele)

considering that most shadowrunners make a living by killing people that is a little harsh in my eyes *g*

Most shadowrunners don't suck the souls out of people for their own perverted enjoyment, though.

Granted, there are some that just plain kill for their perverted enjoyment, and they're on my least liked list too - just can't remember them offhand.
HMHVV Hunter
QUOTE (ShaunClinton)
Rabid from PAOE has to be my fave! Especially the incongrous post about Meistersingers!

Was that the one where he went all loopy about the beauty of their songs and stuff like that?

If so, yeah, that was weird - especially after he revealed in the Each-Uisge post about how he'd be willing to murder children for the sake of the job.
martindv
QUOTE (HMHVV Hunter)
QUOTE (ShaunClinton @ Jan 12 2008, 10:47 AM)

Was that the one where he went all loopy about the beauty of their songs and stuff like that?

If so, yeah, that was weird - especially after he revealed in the Each-Uisge post about how he'd be willing to murder children for the sake of the job.

What's wrong with that?

Did you ever read Bravo Two Zero? The only reason the team didn't kill that Iraqi kid was because they couldn't do it discretely. They were too far away for knives and they had gone out without suppressed weapons because the Americans had already taken them all.

You cannot tell me that they and the mission wouldn't have been better off if they had killed the kid.
martindv
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (HMHVV Hunter @ Jan 11 2008, 11:49 PM)

You know, I also dislike the captain, but my reason is pretty much diametrically opposed to yours. Are there any page references I could look at to see this? I most definitely remember a despicably pro-metahuman bias in pretty much all of the books (for why it's despicable, see some of the other threads on how Shadowrun handles racism).

~J

I'll second that.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (martindv)
The only reason the team didn't kill that Iraqi kid was because they couldn't do it discretely.

What was the matter with doing it continuously?

~J
martindv
You can only do it once.
Snow_Fox
Peregrin,

Chromed Accountant

SPD/X-plod former cops

Synner, Ancient History, Andvare

There's one, I can't quite remember her name, on page 100 of SoE.
(If I never said it, Thank you chummer.wink.gif )
Ancient History
I had one really great line in a sourcebook, which I shall always be thankful for.

Just to be contrary, I like Wordsmyth of the Immortal posters.
Fortune
QUOTE (Ancient History)
I had one really great line in a sourcebook, which I shall always be thankful for.

Which one?
Zhan Shi
My favorite would be Buzz, the Humanis 'runner. It's amusing to watch stone cold killers get all upset when someone expresses a pro-human viewpoint. I hope the developers will show more of him in the future. I don't really have a "least favorite".

The two funniest Shadowland exchanges, IMO, are Jack Q/Rebecca Constantine, from YotC, and Wolfman/Smiling Bandit, from...I think it was Street Samurai Catalog. I'd nominate the "Macmillan Group" segment from Super Tuesday(?) as a runner up.
Kagetenshi
While an amusing interchange, the Q/Constantine piece was not shadowtalk, but a transcript of an ordinary trid broadcast.

~J
Serial_Peacemaker
Well to be fair it is one thing to kill someone because it is a job. It is a completely different thing to do it as some kind of personal policy. Something else is that on the other end is I'm thinking some of the truly screwed up runners would hate to close off their people to kill options. Also I personally like having being rather socially blind about the people they work with as a kind of tell. "Right so you are a human, ork, and elf, and you all carry yourself like killers. I know runners when I see them."
Ancient History
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 14 2008, 01:23 PM)

Which one?

p.118 System Failure "They can have my deck when they pry it out of my cold, dead hands."
Fortune
grinbig.gif
Dashifen
That is the one downside of the new SR4 format for Jackpoint posters: with less one-shot posts there's less chance that any of us will see our names.

frown.gif

Demonseed Elite
I'll admit, when the writers were told about the new format, that made me sad. I liked inserting one-shot comments from characters of people I'd met.

I will still try to fit them in as guest posters where possible, though!
HMHVV Hunter
What new format? I haven't picked up any of the new books yet, so I don't know what this format is.
Critias
QUOTE (HMHVV Hunter)
What new format? I haven't picked up any of the new books yet, so I don't know what this format is.

The "Shadowland BBS only allows posting from a certain elite circle of folks" format. There's a regular crew of NPC-types who are the only ones who'll comment on stuff from now on. No more one-shot characters, no more name-dropping of RL forumites, etc, etc. Just a big list of corp-approved personalities and perspectives.
Stahlseele
heck, it's a hacker-board . . if you're good enough to hack it, you're free to post ain't ya? O.o
Daddy's Little Ninja
I think the corp doing the approving is the one that publishes SR. Which makes it ironic if they are the ones clamping down on such expressions.
Ancient History
Well, here's the thing...

It's no longer Shadowland. The new format isn't a free-for-all of whoever-can-hack-their-way-in-can-post. Instead, you have the JackPoint network with a list of regular users, each with their own personality and specialities. Guest shadowtalkers are often featured when the group needs information beyond the limited scope of the regular list.

There were a couple reasons this new format was chosen - the first being, that by the end of SR3, the number of one-shot posters was out of control. You would have upwards of fifty new shadowposters per book, often more, many of whom only were used once (and whose names were horrible puns). For two there, was no real effort to give unique (and discrete and continuous from one usage to the next in some cases) personalities and knowledge bases to many of the characters. So while authors could load in characters from their home games and posters from the boards, it got ridiculous.

One of the things you can see develop in first edition are a rough collection of "core" characters that would re-appear in book after book, and these are the characters people tend to remember and whose personalities and specialties were developed-Captain Chaos, FastJack, the Chrome Accountant, the Smiling Bandit, Man-of-Many-Names, The Laughing Man, Pyramid Watcher, etc.
Dashifen
I think the change to a core of posters was well done, overall. But I still pine for some of the wackjobs that popped into Shadowland with one or two comments never to be seen again. 'Course, that means it's very hard to give a "voice" to any of the posters, which has been done extremely well so far in SR4 (e.g., the Netcat/Clockwork interaction in Emergence which continues nicely into Corp. Enclaves).
martindv
I don't know. Tom Dowd gave Neon Samurai and Nightfire a pretty distinct voice each in two sets of very, very limited shadowtalk in Fields of Fire.
Demonseed Elite
I don't know. Tom Dowd gave Neon Samurai and Nightfire a pretty distinct voice each in two sets of very, very limited shadowtalk in Fields of Fire.

But another issue there is consistency/continuity among many writers. Early Shadowrun had staff writers, like Dowd. A limited pool of writers who were consistent. It was easy for Dowd to remember Neon Samurai and Nightfire's personalities across books, especially if they only appeared in ones he wrote.

Later editions of Shadowrun used freelancers, a shifting pool of more writers. Some literally only appeared for a section of one book and never wrote anything again. We tried to keep the many shadowposters straight (I have a copy of the ridiculous Excel file on my computer), but it was difficult to keep updated. I recall running into times when another author and myself were writing on the same book and had posted shadowtalk with the same shadowposter that made the person look like two people.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012