Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Synaptic Booster Question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Fortinbras
Wired Reflexes come with a trigger to turn them on or off, so that the character isn't always wiry and jittery, but the synaptic booster bio ware has no such option listed. Does that mean that any character with synaptic booster should play the character as in a constant state of movement? As if the rest of the world is too slow?
If that's the case, wouldn't Synaptic Booster have a greater social negative modifier than Wired Reflexes despite the fact that the Reflexes have a greater Essence cost?

How would you handle this seemingly asinine question?
Fortune
Traditionally in Shadowrun, only cybernetic Initiative enhancements caused twitchiness. Bioware and/or Magic did not contribute to that particular phenomenon.
Fortinbras
And if I were in need of citing precedent?
Crusher Bob
I think this was introduced in the 3rd cyber book for second edition, the one with the cyber-zombies in it.
Fortune
Well, technically there is no 'twitchiness' rules whatsoever in SR4, for cyberware or otherwise. The only effect of having multiple IP is to reduce your Dice Pool for some Stealth tests by 1 per extra pass.

I don't have access to my SR3 books at the moment, but you could search the forums for precedent concerning previous editions.
Adarael
Holy crap, having multiple IPs reduces your stealth pool?!?

How did I miss that one...
Fortune
I believe it only applies to motion sensors, but I can't find the rule right now.
Ravor
Might not be RAW, but personally I think I would allow bioware reflexes to be turned on and off just as easily as you can command your finger to twitch.
Fortune
Found it!

QUOTE (SR4 pg. 254)
Motion sensors pick up on movement. They transmit an ultrasonic field, and react to changes in that field when anything enters it. Intruders may detect the ultrasonic field by using an ultrasound sensor set to passive mode within 5 meters. Defeating a motion sensor requires that characters move very slowly through the field, one half-meter per Combat Turn, and succeeding in an Infiltration + Agility (3) Test. Characters amped for speed may find it difficult to maneuver in this way; apply a negative dice pool modifier equal to their extra Initiative Passes.
Crusher Bob
Only applies to avoiding motion sensors
Page 254

Characters amped
for speed may find it difficult to
maneuver in this way; apply a
negative dice pool modifier equal
to their extra Initiative Passes.

Fortune
I thought I said that already (twice). nyahnyah.gif biggrin.gif
Crusher Bob
When the day comes that I can snatch a thread from your hand, you will be able to teach me no more.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012